We need a parking infoview or some other way to visualize problem parking area.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alcarcalimo2364

Corporal
35 Badges
Oct 19, 2023
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Island Bound
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
Parking right now is a completely mysterious mechanic. You don’t have to put any parking lots down and your cims will just park in the road, but you can completely ban parking on roads and have no parking lots, and there are no complaints about parking.

It’s clear that there is a need for parking though. I have watched cims drive around for hours looking for parking.

I believe we need a better way to gauge how much parking is needed. Maybe green/red area indicator for areas that need parking (similar to land value but for parking), and green/red roads for road parking being filled up.

I also have seen bug reports about cims preferring road parking above all else, but I still think we need more information to be able to properly gauge the amount of parking we have, especially since it seems to affect traffic management. You don’t see any chirps or radio messages about cims having trouble finding parking, but clearly I would want to know if a cim is having trouble finding parking.

Also, we need more parking assets. I’m sure this will be solved by asset creators, but the default options leave a lot to be desired. The parking lots are fine (although more sizes and non-fenced options would be great), but the parking garage options are so big, and are hard to fit into a lot of common grid patterns. When I lived in Washington, DC, you had parking garages that fit wall to wall with commercial and residential buildings. I would like to see some default options like these added to the game.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
Reactions:
I agree. This would be very usefull. I have no idea right now if I have enough parking available.
Where I live we have underground parking with either appartments or commercial, or both above ground. The parking entrance at ground level is part of the building. I would like that in the game.

but it shows where the parking spaces at road, buildings and parking lots are used to much. The roads and buildings become red in these areas. So this is where you need to add another parking lot.

I see no such thing in the road info view. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong info view then?
20231109154613_1.jpg

The graph at the top shows already that you have much more free parking space than parked cars. You are all green.

Uncheck all but the first checkbox. Then, if you really have a problem you will see it in yellow and red color.

Cars an often also park on building lots. Which is free. They first park on the street if you have no street side parking fee. Then on building lots. And either for comfort reasons or because ultimately nothing else is free on parking lots.

Some bigger buildings have even underground garages. So it takes quite long until you have a real problem with parking. But I can totally confirm that you can get red. I had that a few times. It just takes very long.

Reactions:
You are correct Tjitso. The infoview is showing ROAD condition not where parking is needed.
Disable road condition at Map Legend, the last option at the Info View in your screenshot, and you will see nothing will show anymore. The top info: Parking Facility Availably doesn't exist.
I can see most of your parking lots are full. You do need more, but the game doesn't have this info.

Reactions:
I also have seen bug reports about cims preferring road parking above all else, but I still think we need more information to be able to properly gauge the amount of parking we have, especially since it seems to affect traffic management.
Elderly will prefer parking in front of where they want to go no matter the price. They will walk the least possible.
Young will prefer the cheapest way.
Adults will prefer the fastest way.

The graph at the top shows already that you have much more free parking space than parked cars. You are all green.

Uncheck all but the first checkbox. Then, if you really have a problem you will see it in yellow and red color.

Cars an often also park on building lots. Which is free. They first park on the street if you have no street side parking fee. Then on building lots. And either for comfort reasons or because ultimately nothing else is free on parking lots.

Some bigger buildings have even underground garages. So it takes quite long until you have a real problem with parking. But I can totally confirm that you can get red. I had that a few times. It just takes very long.
This is incorrect. This view is just showing you if your parking lots are full or not, not that you have enough parking to make your city run smoothly.

I want an alert if cims are driving around aimlessly looking for parking.

I want a view where the road turns red so i can quickly see whether road parking is full.

I want a view where there is a color change to the land if businesses/residences would benefit from having a garage.

None of this is provided in game. It is impossible to know if you have enough parking or not.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Elderly will prefer parking in front of where they want to go no matter the price. They will walk the least possible.
Young will prefer the cheapest way.
Adults will prefer the fastest way.
I am aware of the general AI behavior. There is still an acknowledged bug from CO where road parking is preferred over parking lots. For example, you can turn road parking fees up to $50, and build a parking lot in that district and set parking lot fee to $0, and Cims will still prefer to park on the road.

I've been thinking about this, but an info view that only shows info if there is a problem, isn't very useful. I also would like to see if there isn't a problem. And it doesn't tell me anything about demand. I would like to see where on the map demand for parking is high or low, because right now I'm guessing. And it's important info too, because if there's not enough parking, businesses will suffer.

I will still keep an eye out for red buildings though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I see no such thing in the road info view. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong info view then?
View attachment 1044842

In this image, what exactly PARKING FACILITY AVALIABILITY is supposed to show going from RED to GREEN and all parking lots are BLUE?
This is a BUG. I reported as a bug. Because there are two indicators going from RED to GREEN, very confusing. If you disable Road Condition no colors are shown. So Parking Facility Availability doesn't need a color indicator, if it's just showing a number. Either the devs wanted to show street parking availability and failed to integrate in this UI or the indicator doesn't exist and the scale from red to green should not exist.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In this image, what exactly PARKING FACILITY AVALIABILITY is supposed to show going from RED to GREEN and all parking lots are BLUE?
This is a BUG. I reported as a bug. Because there are two indicators going from RED to GREEN, very confusing. If you disable Road Condition no colors are shown. So Parking Facility Availability doesn't need a color indicator, if it's just showing a number. Either the devs wanted to show street parking availability and failed to integrate in this UI or the indicator doesn't exist and the scale from red to green should not exist.
The scale for parking availability is just the percentage of your parking lots that are full. That’s it. It’s not a bug. It’s just not really useful information. Sure, if all your parking lots are full, then you probably need more parking lots. But it still isn’t showing you what areas are underserved by parking

Reactions:
I have been reading through this thread due to general interest and it just occurred to me. Would this be why a lot of players are getting the "Not Enough Customers" with Commercial?

A lack of parking would make sense however I would have thought that commercial lots would have their own parking provision. I do agree that its difficult to determine with no feed back from the simulation.

I will have to test this out now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This overview should have an additional red -> green area view to indicate in which area parking is a problem. Right now I can only see that I need more parking. But I have no indication where it may be needed.

parking.png

Reactions:
I have been reading through this thread due to general interest and it just occurred to me. Would this be why a lot of players are getting the "Not Enough Customers" with Commercial?

A lack of parking would make sense however I would have thought that commercial lots would have their own parking provision. I do agree that its difficult to determine with no feed back from the simulation.

I will have to test this out now.
I think this is definitely part of the not enough customers notification....if they have nowhere to park to visit the shops, then yeah there will be issues. There are also still bugs I think with it though. For example, I usually get waves of these notifications around 1am to 3am when everyone is asleep. I think the game is saying not enough customers cause no one is shopping at that time, so it still needs some tuning.

I have just gotten in the habit of placing parking in commercial zones which makes sense logically. But I still think we need a view that shows where areas are being underserved.

Reactions:
I think this is definitely part of the not enough customers notification....if they have nowhere to park to visit the shops, then yeah there will be issues. There are also still bugs I think with it though. For example, I usually get waves of these notifications around 1am to 3am when everyone is asleep. I think the game is saying not enough customers cause no one is shopping at that time, so it still needs some tuning.

I have just gotten in the habit of placing parking in commercial zones which makes sense logically. But I still think we need a view that shows where areas are being underserved.
The 3AM no customers message is definitely a bug. It affects my whole commerial district and disaperas in the morning hours.