• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No, it's not. Otherwise we'd be working together long time. :)

That's because it's far more commonly used. Highland is probably a better alternative to upland though. I don't really know anybody who uses upland (just compare google searches).

Edit: Actually it seems highland refers to mountains, upland refers to hills.

That they do, and speaking as a native of England I think using upland makes perfect sense. It's not the most commonly used word, but then neither is 'plains'. In fact, if we could get plains renamed 'lowland' we'd have a wonderful consistency (oh, and Anglification...).

That they do, and speaking as a native of England I think using upland makes perfect sense. It's not the most commonly used word, but then neither is 'plains'. In fact, if we could get plains renamed 'lowland' we'd have a wonderful consistency (oh, and Anglification...).

Thanks for feedback, indeed it's nice idea for consistency. Not being native English speaker myself I still think upland should be called hard terrain, but it doesn't look nice and is somewhat inconsistent even if it's what the terrain represents.

Thanks for feedback, indeed it's nice idea for consistency. Not being native English speaker myself I still think upland should be called hard terrain, but it doesn't look nice and is somewhat inconsistent even if it's what the terrain represents.

Rugged terrain?

Hard terrain it doesn't really fit - it's talking more about the ability of someone or something to traverse it. A desert could be hard terrain, or a glacier. Rugged can be used similarly, but specifically refers to how jagged it is (as in not smooth). To be honest, if you don't like upland then highland would probably be ok, since mountain ranges in Britain are fairly small affairs anyway.

Hard terrain it doesn't really fit - it's talking more about the ability of someone or something to traverse it. A desert could be hard terrain, or a glacier. Rugged can be used similarly, but specifically refers to how jagged it is (as in not smooth). To be honest, if you don't like upland then highland would probably be ok, since mountain ranges in Britain are fairly small affairs anyway.

I think Upland is the best, I was simply suggesting something else.

I've never heard the term "upland", but then I'm only an American.

I've never heard the term "upland", but then I'm only an American.

I assumed this had been rejected, but why not simply "hilly"?

Seriously, there's already "Mountain", why not "Hills"?
I wonder, shouldn't it be mountainous?

edit: After much thought I agree upland doesn't fit well, because terrain doesn't represent level above sea, but rather characteristics (like forest, marsh, plains). So it should be hills.

That said, I'd like to know where I can find historical maps covering this. Or can anyone tell me the areas of dense forests, big plains, marshes in countries like: England, France, Germany, Spain, Hungary around 1400-1500?
I can't find historical maps covering this in the period, or any period before 19th century for that matter.

Last edited:
maybe the term
Butte or Mesa will do

I guess you should really read the first post. :cool:

While playing i had the somewhat pleasant surprise to discover that you expanded the number of trade and infra techs. That isn't a gamebreaker for my poor spain but a little suprising. Maybe you'd amend your first post? ;)