• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
Hi there folks!

I'm back with my sixth Imperator: Rome AAR! :D

This one will follow various wars and internal struggles the Romans have and will experience in my current playthrough.

First out is a civil war made out of what I believe is a new event chain in Marius 2.0. Then again, I haven't played this game in a long time. :)

Don't expect optimal play, for example I am completely unable to understand how to counter act stuff like sudden deep falls in provincial loyalty. All the more fun and challenging, though. Right? ;)

And thus we lay the fundations for the first update. :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
The War of the Consuls
The War of the Consuls

In 499 AUC, Rome had come far. Much had happened since 450 AUC. She had bested the states of Magna Graecia. She had conquered Etruria. A solid foot hold had been gained in Greece. Cisalpine Gaul was mostly under Roman domination.

Carthage dominated in the West. In the East, Alexander’s heirs had an uneasy peace. Egypt was strong. So was the Seleucids. Macedonia had been taken over by the Antigonids, uniting their Anatolian Empire and much of Greece.

Rome, in the middle, was secure. Or as secure as a state can be in the middle of vulltures. She had a powerful legion, loyal subjects and had poured a lot of effort into military technology. She was strong, Italy was united under them. Things were well.

1JQyZQz.png

Then Manius Curius Dentatus happened. A man of questionable oratory skills, middling charisma and a huge ego. He was sure he was destined for greatness. For consulship. The Senate ridiculed him. The Consul scoffed at this upstart. Old, but not of importance.

But, somehow, Manius Curius Dentatus swayed the people. Not the important people, but enough people in the provinces to take notice. The Consul used questionable methods to curtain his sudden popularity. Military means. Bribery. Bashing of the man, everywhere. Some would call it tyranny. Many did.

But the worst was when the Consul changed the laws to let his consulship period last longer. He was old, older than Manius. But he was determined to see the man die before he could become Consul, however unlikely that may seem.

Then he died. The Consul that is. An emergency election was held. Manius Curius Dentatus did not win that election. Decimus Volumnius Brutus did. A competent man, he had smooth sailing. Manius fumbled his speeches. Decimus did not. Decimus won by a land slide.

y7QcOxl.png
EB1zywp.png

But Manius was not going to bow down. Secretly, he had convinced the governors of Rome’s Greek provinces as well as one in Cisalpine Gaul to join him in taking the consulship by force. Claiming the tyranny of his predecessor would continue under Decimus, he raised the flag of rebellion in the name of the Senate and the People. The real Senate and the real People.

And so the civil war named the War of the Consuls started. It began poorly for Manius. The legions did not follow him into revolt. He raised his own, but he controlled less land, split into two, and had less troops. He fought on, though.

Deciumus proved a patient man, slowly driving his foes back. First he secured Cisalpine Gaul. Then he moved against the rebellious Greek lands. Both he and Manius had little time though. Manius was sick. So was Decimus, who began showing signs of early onset dementia.

lhJbKOr.png

7o5v778.png

In the end, Decimus survived the war. Manius did not. When the revolt was finally quelled, his successor Gnaeus Volumnius Procyon proudly marched in chains into Rome, defiant to the last. Decimus was not amused. He ordered all rebels killed, in the most gruesome ways.

AGAZnEP.png

Rome was at peace again. She was whole. A few weeks later, Consul Decimus was dead too, having succumbed to his dementia. Exactly what happened, we will never know. Talk in the shadows was of an accident due to his failing mental state.

AwtC0zW.png

In any case, no new civil war would occur when his successor Spurius Claudius took office.

• 2Like
Reactions:
oh fun! Can't wait to see what happens.

oh fun! Can't wait to see what happens.
Right where I am now no less than eight provinces are disloyal, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to counteract it. :p I tried integrating the cultures, but it didn't help. :p

I'm aboard for the ride!

I'm aboard for the ride!
Welcome! I can tease that not only did the provincal problems give me a whole chapter to write, but I also half way fixed it with some luck and some googling on the forums! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that's the problem with democracy.

The Antigonids rule Macedon? Interesting... I wonder if they'll be important.

Gaul should be easy to take. It's just a bunch of divided tribes. So are the Germans.

You should take those lands before someone else does... or before they develop their own civilizations.

The Antigonids rule Macedon? Interesting... I wonder if they'll be important.
They did. I believe they lost power in a civil war now though. Been a few of those in the East. Seleucids later becomes Persia.
Gaul should be easy to take. It's just a bunch of divided tribes. So are the Germans.

You should take those lands before someone else does... or before they develop their own civilizations.
Well, there will be war. But where to? North? West? East? :D

Really interesting !

And a start with a civil war, it promises lots of fun ! :)

The First Punic War
The First Punic War

Rome had united Italy. To the North, the small tribal kingdoms of Gaul and Germania laid. To the East, the mighty Macedonians and the enormous Thrace. To the South East, the Seleucids and Egypt. All worthy enemies for Rome.

But Rome’s eyes was turned Westwards. There, Carthage was getting more and more powerful, having secured Sicily as well as the southern tip of Magna Graecia. She was a threat to Rome. More than any other power.

Sv6JzLz.png

4Csd16E.png

And now she was vulnerable, in a war with Iberian powers, and, it seemed, losing. Rome struck. Her mighty Legion of 11k powerful troops, her many levies – ready. And a lot of money meant that no less than three mercenary armies were hers to command too. Rome’s navy was on par with Carthage, and Carthage would fall.

The war started well. Bruttium fell. As did western Sicily, as Carthage’s armies were slaughtered. But just as victory was close, treachery befell the Republic. Carthage’s diplomats managed to incite the natives in Cisalpine Gaul, where talk of secession and rebellion was everywhere.

1aHB7yf.png

And, sneaking her navy around Sicily, the Carthagians began to siege Etruria. Rome had to divert some of their troops north. This also had the side effect of enraging the Senators of Rome, though. They now vowed to not only claim Bruttia and what they could get of Sicily, but even more. A war would be fought to the limit.

emO0AKe.png

Soon, all of Sicily was in Roman hands. Her fleet moved troops to Sardinia, with the intent of seizing that island too. At this point, though, Rome had a conundrum. Her Senators wanted more. They wanted to destroy Carthage.

cqV6dWL.png

But her people were tired of war, war exhaustion was high And In Cisalpine Gaul treachery still seeded. Rome had to seek peace.

54rHRjA.png

But it would be a costly peace for Carthage. Bruttium, and the entirety of Sicily and Sardinia would be ceded to Rome. Carthage was humbled. Rome was happy. She wanted to return, that was sure.

j5gryUY.png

But all was not well in Rome. That would be shown in the coming decades.

Carthage has been punished!

And yet Rome remains unsatisfied.

Carthage has been punished!

And yet Rome remains unsatisfied.
Rome will rise. However, my extraordinary poor skills at this game surely will limit me. :D I can't for the life of me figure out how to get those rebellions to stop happening and I keep hitting that 50 AE limit (and going a bit beyond) where I need to be at peace for some time. This Rome will surely never be as big as the RL counterpart, I suspect. ;) But I plan to write an entertaining story nevertheless. :D

Her Senators wanted more. They wanted to destroy Carthage.
The Senate always wants this. Not necessarily wrong, but it’s always “delenda est” with Carthago! :rolleyes::D
Bruttium, and the entirety of Sicily and Sardinia would be ceded to Rome. Carthage was humbled.
That’s a good start, and seemingly not as hard a fight as in OTL. Even with the compulsory discontent at home.

That’s a good start, and seemingly not as hard a fight as in OTL. Even with the compulsory discontent at home.
Had I not had all those mercs, I might have had a really hard time, actually.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Volumnian Reform Strife
The Volumnian Reform Strife

Following the Roman victory in the First Punic War, Rome’s Consul – of the Volumnius family – issued a series of reforms to Roman society. Greatly benefiting the poor and middle class, the rich and tradition minded in Roman society was appalled.

JV6h99a.png

Soon, a dangerous situation occurred. The Senate demanded the Volumnian Reforms revoked. The Consul refused. The poor was happy. The mighty and rich less so. Talk of removing the Consul by force – in the name of the Republic – swirled.

QMMvEaI.jpg

The situation worsened when the Senate called for aid against the Consul and got the support of General Aulus Volumnius Romulus – the very leader of the Latinum Legion. The Legion was the main fighting force of the Republic, a standing army of well trained men. The threat of intervention was imminent.

dnD2Wzt.png

Then the Consul war saved by the bell. As Rome had grown, her Italian allies, the Socii, had become less important for the survival of the nation. Now, the Socii was getting restless and demanded better treatment from their overlord.

Ix8bDsS.png

The Consul used this threat as a counter against the threat from the Senate. Surely, the Senate would not jeopardize the nation’s wellbeing in a time of troubles with her allies? For now, the Senate did not move, and their loyal General did not move against the Consul.

Then the Consul, now also facing a grain crisis threatening his support among the poor, moved against foreign merchants and seized all grain from merchants visiting Rome at the time. The merchants were appalled but could do nothing.

cnc1kBp.png

In the end, the Senate and their allied General relented. The reforms stayed; the Consul had won. But while Rome had focused on internal matters in the core of the Republic, discontent was brewing in the provinces…

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hmm, a relief perhaps that the reforms stood, but they were somewhat worrying events that allowed it. Also, it was ironic that the general opposing the Volumnian reforms was a Volumnius!

The Reforms stay, but this might set a dangerous precedent...

Hmm, a relief perhaps that the reforms stood, but they were somewhat worrying events that allowed it. Also, it was ironic that the general opposing the Volumnian reforms was a Volumnius!
Yeah, I was a bit shaky there for a moment. The Legion was my only and it constituted most of my available manpower. And yeah, it was pretty interesting that a Volumnius was the main threat! :p
The Reforms stay, but this might set a dangerous precedent...
Indeed. The next reforms will be much easilier passed though, as you will soon see...;)

The Tears of Rebellion
The Tears of Rebellion

With one crisis averted, Rome headed right into another. While the politicians of Rome fought their cold war, the outer provinces had become more and more discontent. In quick succession, several of them rebelled against Roman rule.

While this would not end with the period known as The Tears of Rebellion, these years would prove to be the worst of this kind in decades to come.

ZnBahbX.png

First to rebel was Sardinia Australis, not long ago taken from Carthage. The Sardinians wanted freedom, but the military might of Rome was too big for them.

Shortly after, Herekleia Minoa on the tip of Sicily rebelled. With no Roman armies close by, this rebellion would be the one with the most success – early on.

epD0Z3A.png

Weeks later, Cenomannia and Genuatia would both rebel against Rome. Rome now was facing rebellions on all corners of her Empire except Greece.

kDKzbc3.png

With all the rebellions taken care of, the Roman thought they had beat the rebels once and for all. They were wrong. In the southern parts of Sicily, Gelas proclaimed their independence.

d5tU0kf.png

At the same time, Ingaunia did the same in Cisalpine Gaul. But with these two rebellions soon beat, peace again reigned the Roman Republic.

qZywFhb.png

Reform was needed though, that even most of the Senate agreed on now. A prominent Senator, Gnaeus Quintilius, one of the greatest minds of his generation, proposed a complete overhaul of the Republican recruitment policies. With these Quintilian Reforms, the poor and downtrodden – many of them in the provinces – would get a chance to take more part in the life of the Republic, through the army.

Mg8lAIP.png

The motion was passed easily. And just in time, as the threat of Carthage was again the talk of the Senate.