Warhammer IIC announced for MWO (would love to see this in HBS BATTLETECH some day)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prussian Havoc

PDXCON 2019 ~ MechWarrior of the Year
58 Badges
May 12, 2017
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Some very nice developments over at PGI these days...

warhammeriic-special-concept (1).png

And the MECH SPECS are...

Warhammer IIC Mech Specs.png

As I said on the MWO forums...

The last time I saw a Warhammer IIC, it looked like this...

warhammer.jpg

That game (MW2) was a long time ago. Glad to see it back in the franchise :)

That's a poor design in my book. What's with the pectoral air vents? What's wrong with just putting up a great slab of armor instead of slapping on nick-nacks and creating obvious weak spots? A .50 cal can pierce to the internal with just a couple of fins in the way.

That's a poor design in my book. What's with the pectoral air vents? What's wrong with just putting up a great slab of armor instead of slapping on nick-nacks and creating obvious weak spots? A .50 cal can pierce to the internal with just a couple of fins in the way.
Who says those are air vents? Maybe that's a location for heat sinks to be installed. Maybe there's armor behind the "fins" that we don't see.

Maybe twisting one's knickers over the "poor design" of the model for a fictional, 80 ton bipedal tank that flagrantly violates the square-cube law and exists solely because of the Rule of Cool is silly?

That's a sexy looking 'Mech right there, and those sloping "air vents" create distinct and impressive lines through the torso. No other reason need be given to justify it.

The same rule of cool that gives us spike armor, horned helmets and jagged swords I presume. Why stop there? Why not put in some exposed internal and big exposed wiring and go full cyber punk? Battletech has always been somewhat grounded in its art compared to anime mecha and I prefer modernizing its designs don't compromise its essence too much.

Alex has been pretty restrained with greebles in his designs but having two massive air vent exhaust ports in the FRONT of a mech isn't cool or good looking. My opinion. Some probably like seeing every surface plastered with stuff.

but having two massive air vent exhaust ports in the FRONT of a mech isn't cool or good looking. My opinion. Some probably like seeing every surface plastered with stuff.
Many a MWO model have vents in the front. Shadow Hawk, Jenner, Stalker, Firestarter, and King Crab for example. This is nothing new.

The same rule of cool that gives us spike armor, horned helmets and jagged swords I presume. Why stop there? Why not put in some exposed internal and big exposed wiring and go full cyber punk? Battletech has always been somewhat grounded in its art compared to anime mecha and I prefer modernizing its designs don't compromise its essence too much.

Alex has been pretty restrained with greebles in his designs but having two massive air vent exhaust ports in the FRONT of a mech isn't cool or good looking. My opinion. Some probably like seeing every surface plastered with stuff.
You're still assuming those are air vents which lead directly to the internals.

And you know what makes less sense than those "air vents"? The entire concept of towering, bipedal tanks. Why get hung up on the former and not the latter?

Odanan Warhammer IIC Template already posted:

Warhammer IIC Odanan Template.png

You must be new to Battletech.

Soooo.... I took a quick flick through my TRO:3025 and, well, I hate to break it to you but I think you might be wearing rose-tinted specs.
The Stinger, Javelin, Spider, Jenner, Assassin, Cicada, Clint, Vulcan, Blackjack, Phoenix Hawk, Vindicator, Centurion, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Dervish, Griffin, Shadowhawk, Dragon, Ostroc, Rifleman, Crusader, Jagermech, Warhammer, Orion, Awesome, Victor, Battlemaster, Stalker, Cyclops and Atlas all have areas that either are, or could be, slatted vents (some certainly are, but others..well I've never been a fan of the art in those - the style makes it hard to say either way)
It goes further, the Thunderbolt and Grasshopper both have dirty great holes on their central torso that may or may not have slats inside.

As it happens, I just found this fella the past weekend (broken down in several of my old boxes).
Has taken a bit of battle damage, lost bits of ankle and a missile rack.

warhammer.jpg

Call me old fashioned, but I do like the old design better in this case.
I thought the idea was to get the unseen back, we already have a faux warhammer in Orion.
(the air vents are on back in this version, btw)

PGI knows my displeasure with their way of doing things (I think Matt Newman himself is watching any activity i make on their forums since April) but I usually do like the redesigns of Mechs so they dont look so damn goofy looking. Kinda torn on this one though. I understand the radical shift in the design but it looks just so.....weird.

If you want to talk about obvious weak points, the Mad Dog, Timber Wolf, Dervish, Trebuchet, Shadow Hawk, Orion, Atlas, Centurion, and probably a lot more all keep missiles exposed on their torsos.

Battletech has always been somewhat grounded in its art compared to anime mecha...
[mod edit: no HG images please]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Battletech seems more grounded in the way Battlemechs behave more so than the art style of past iterations. Sure there were LAMs and even Jump Jets may seem a bit unrealistic in their own way. Still, to me anyway, Battletech seems more tank like when compared to a lot of anime where their robots are zipping around in the air, flying through space making poses.

Just now, with PGI's take on the art style, the Mechs looks are finally more in line with that more grounded behavior.

If you want to talk about obvious weak points, the Mad Dog, Timber Wolf, Dervish, Trebuchet, Shadow Hawk, Orion, Atlas, Centurion, and probably a lot more all keep missiles exposed on their torsos.

[mod edit: no HG images please]

[Mod edit: Language] are you kidding?

OK, not-HG:
wolverine_combo_by_odanan-d9r9hcj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing that, the original Centurion had missile doors:

3025_Centurion1.jpg

(image credit: sarna.net)

And so did the PGI model for the first few years (IIRC you had to press 'y' to open/close the missile doors), they gave +10% armour for the location when closed. They were removed in one of the model update passes so the model that HBS got had no doors:

CN9-A_compare.jpg

(Left: Pre-update CN9-A with epic gun arm and missile doors. Right: Post-update CN9-A with puny bad-looking gun arm and no missile doors)