• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update!

The DAIM Bigpack has been extended and updated - I added the links to the other AIs in the first post.
The changes on DAIM Germany are not major, though, AI Germany will now start building mechanized divisions when they are available and there are a few other minor changes. Basically Germany now has a harder time to win because the other AIs (particularly USA and UK) are beefed up as well! :D

Comparing the German 1941 original ai files to DAIM I would like to aks a couple of questions:

Original_AI said:
exp_force_ratios = {
ITA = 0.6
FIN = 0.4
}
DAIM said:
exp_force_ratios = {
ITA = 0.5
}
Germany barely ever sends reinforcements to Finland with the original files, now you want to prevent it from doing it at all?

DAIM said:
AA_batteries = no
coastal_fort = no
radar_station = no
air_base = no
Why? I know, it takes the precious ICs from tank and infantry production, but it is better for Germany in the long term. For instance, Germany would have much bigger trouble protectiong itself from operation overlord if no coastal fortresses were built at all.

Original_AI said:
Land production - 65%
Air production - 19%
Sea production - 16%
DAIM said:
Land production - 56%
Air production - 16%
Sea production - 28%
Prioritizing sea production during barbarossa? hmm

I also see you lowered the odd strengths for certain terrains and weather types, which is ok, but don't you think that it makes the game less realistic?

Actually I have many question for other files, this is just an example.

1. The more important value is the one above those you mentioned: the overall expeditionary force ratio. The other ratios only direct the partitioning between Germany's allies, so it's not that bad. Finland was probably left out because I started with germany_1936.ai, modified it for DAIM, and based the other DAIM Germany files on this one afterwards, comparing with the standard files. I probably overlooked a few factors while doing this, but in this case it has no great effect: Germany will rarely send expeditionary forces "overseas" anyway, and by the time when there's a land connection between Germany and Finland, it's no longer an issue.

2. Germany is allowed to build those improvements earlier (1936 and 1939 AI), but I decided to forbid it for Barbarossa in order to use all resources to wear down Russia. Perhaps the extent of that limitation is too strict.

3. The numbers you've stated are right, but you've got to take into account two other things: The standard AIs use the "relative_build_scheme", DAIM Germany doesn't, and it has a noticeable effect on the percentages needed to get the right buildup. And in general, most of the troops for Barbarossa should be built before the campaign, keeping up the same pace while fighting in Russia can be dangerous for German manpower. Especially the AI is quite generous in spending manpower. ;)

4. I lowered some of the odds strengths based on personal calculations with the average terrain modifier, and in a test game as Russia I was pleased with most of the German attacks. One general problem is that you can only define one value that the AI will use for all kind of ground units, be it mountaineers or mechanized.

Ok, you've noted my observations about Germany already, I'd just like to summarize/add a few others.

1. If Germany DOWs the lowlands early, don't invade Norway until Vichy is created or a certain number of French provinces are taken and all the low countries are taken.

2. Allocate more forces to conquer Norway.

3. Germany likes to DOW Soviets in all my games March 1941 or before, even while still fighting in France and before its forces have been moved to the eastern front.

4. Is it possible to tell the German AI to man its coastal defenses in Germany better (or at least man them period?). Many times there is only 1 unit manning a beachead and sometimes none (not even sure if this is an AI thing or not). Once the USA is in the war, it is far to easy just to invade Denmark, north Germany or the Holland area directly from Iceland.

I agree with your proposals and will try to implement them. Unfortunately there usually is a gap between what you have in mind for the AI and what the AI is doing later... :eek:o
I particularly don't understand the stacks the AI sometimes creates at the Mediterranean coast instead of moving the units to the front and attack.

G'Kar said:
I agree with your proposals and will try to implement them. Unfortunately there usually is a gap between what you have in mind for the AI and what the AI is doing later... :eek:o
I particularly don't understand the stacks the AI sometimes creates at the Mediterranean coast instead of moving the units to the front and attack.

Well, I'm trying to edumacate myself on the AI commands to see what is possible lol. Someone really needs to write a FAQ on the AI commands, the 1-liners in the doc directory aren't helping me a lot :)

Last edited:
I think you'll find the germany ai does MUCH better with an even front in the french campaign. Offensive seems to be based on reactive , the germans with it just lump everything up opposite the maginot line and never attack. Or perhaps the natural ai tendancy is to match up troop concentrations to opposing troop concentrations and even overrides this. Regardless even seems much better for attacking borders with fortifications.

Also I've seen a problem with this in ethiopia... Italy pushes the ethiopians to 1 or 2 provinces, then insists on waiting to attack until it has much too many troops there, pretty much until it has the same number of troops as the enemy in every province surrounding their last territory.

I'd suggest running a few games with the powers which were changed to offensive back on even to test on a country by country basis which ones do better.

Update

The DAIM Germany AIs have been updated: I changed the sequence of DoWs for Germany, now they'll wait for the winter '39 to pass before attacking in the west and should do this more effective (buildup, front distribution).

Thanks to Dracleath for the hint with even fronts, it really seems to make a difference for the west campaign, the AI is much less obsessed with the Maginot line. :rolleyes:

Thank you thank you thank you. Working great through 1941 although Norway is still a no-go. To tell you the truth, it is better that way, too easy to invade via Norway hehe. Looks like it is protecting beaches a bit better as well, not sure if you changed that or it is just the game, but overall, Germany looks pretty good.

In all the games I've played (and hands off games) with a DAIM Germany, they seem to make poor choices. Granted in two games USSR invaded in early 1940, not even giving Germany a chance to conquer Western Europe. Anyways, it seems that by the time Germany and the USSR fight, Germany is outnumbered by at least 2:1 (150ish divisions vs 400 Soviet in one game). In all of these fights, Germany gets enveloped by this massive red mass. I checked Germany's production, and Germany seems obsessed with building ships (And yet they never even come close to overtaking the UK fleet). I'll try another game with an updated version, but really, does Germany need to make aircraft carriers?

Graymane said:
Working great through 1941 although Norway is still a no-go. To tell you the truth, it is better that way, too easy to invade via Norway hehe.

I think that attacking Norway is a mistake anyway, particually since the allies are unlikely to try to attack Sweden via Norway (and if they do you should just send exp. forces to Sweden).

Since you are trying to simulate what a human does and not what happened historically I think you should consider stopping after Denmark. Particually since invasions are so much trouble I would recommend removing useless ones like Norway. Also this would remove the annoying extra border with Russia up north, and reduce the need to build ships as Germany. So I would definatly consider it if you every split into 2 ai's one for Russia first and the other for UK first. Doing a poor effort over the UK first (like historically) just isn't worth it.

thanks for feedback.
Norway donesn't happpen always but we let him do it because we won't reduce histocrity to much. If you say , ignore norway you can disscuss about Jugoslavia and Greece, too .

Spocky

AI-Germany declares war on Norway like clockwork. Then it doesn't take Norway.

Played a few games and noticed it trying only once.
Another time i saw it decline the Altmark preparation... and still declare war.
???

Aside from that the invasion of Yugoslavia and Denmark and Greece and Norway all seem to happen in quick succession.

Shouldn't they be spread out more?

If Germany doesn't declare war the British should get military access.
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/70-7_02.htm
Possibly beyond the scope of the DAIM mod.

However, if the AI-Germany isn't making a decent run at it, i don't think it should in the first place.

Maybe it's just my computer acting strange.
Be interested to hear if others are finding AI-Germany actually pulling off the invasion.

Ugh.

My latest US game isn't going too well. Japan never attacked China. Germany took Poland, but they refuse to invade the Netherlands and Belgium. It's 1941. I just hope that the Soviets annihilate the Germans, so I can actually have an interesting Cold War, as WWII is going to be quite boring.

Germany DoW Yugoslavia a few month before invading Poland :/ I'm playing as Italy. I'm going to go in and use acceptall and make a white peace and hope they won't keep DoW Yugoslavia. This never happened in vanilla HoI2.

Ooops.
Never encountered this problem before.
Which scenario ?

Spocky

Just downloaded DAIM Bigpack. I decided to ease into the new AI by playing the Soviet Union. Germany takes out Poland, France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, and Norway. Germany invades me on March 1, 1941--3.5 months earlier than historical. That AI is competent now. Its now November, and I am barely holding onto a line from Leningrad through the swamps to moscow to Voronezh-Lipetsk-Rostov. A lot harder than before. Great Work!