• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xavierman242

Recruit
20 Badges
May 8, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I just got a new laptop and wanted to play this gem, but every time i try to load it it will not show the map. I followed this tutorial, but when I deleted it, it showed this error message. File exception: Exception in: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line: 584. Description: Could not open file: map/default.map.

Please Help! I really want to play this game.

Try removing the Cache file, I would advise just moving it out to the desktop and not removing it should the subsequent measure not succeed, (should be under the map section, I don't have the game files with me atm.) with the file moved out of its directory you launch the game and then during the loading screen it will recalculate stuff etc. It should work but if it doesn't then try to reinstall the game and if so remember to completely delete all files from the game from your comptuer to make a completely clean installation.

I quickly googled your problem and error description and have you tried the following (From a paradox support ticket)? I believe you try and delete both then relaunch the game.

"Please delete these two folders (assuming default installation locations):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Victoria II\map\cache
and

• C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria II\map
That will fix the problem."