• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(26)

Captain
Jan 20, 2000
Visit site
Age of faith scenario.

Starting date: 1560

difficulty: normal, aggresive AI

Armies: 19k in zeeland, 5k in Friesen
Navy: 39 War Ship in the Haag

1560: Massives Empires have emerged in Europe during the previous Renaissance.
Turkey has conquered the mameluk Egypt, and Hungary. Only Austria stand against the Ottoman empire.
during last 70 years, Spain has build a massive colonial Empire(Mexico, Caribeans isles, columbia)but take a firm grip on european provinces. War in Italy have seen the victory of Spain against France, and Naples has remain Spanish. In North Europe, the wealthy ducth province start to shaken is link with Spain...

1 Januar 1560: William of Nassau stand in the head of the new nation who has emerged of the dutch rebellion, but the situation of the country is not very famous. spain stand firmly in flandres, waiting for an occassion to recover the lost province.
Spice, silk and Chinaware are flooding from Indies but under the control of Portuguese merchants, and they realy dislike dutch traders.
France, England, Saxony and the Palatinat have engaged in an alliance, but they certainly will not move if Spain decided to recover Holland.

But, as a positive counterpart, most of Spanish knowledge in World map is well known by Dutch traders: most of south america, antilla, North India ocean and the good hope cap. Of course, Africa is almost unknown as Portugal defend jealously the secret.

My first decision is to devellop a bit my province: A naval manufactory is build in the Friesen. By selling merchant ship to my neighbours, I surely will improve my revenue, but most important, holland will acquire a good competency in naval technology.
I also build a brewery in Holland in order to produce Rhum from my future colonie (I hope so).

May 1560: Merchants have decided that almost every efforts should be put in competing Portuguese in India ocean. The decision is taken to send a merchant mission in Seychelles Island in order to investigate the possibility of building a sea port here. Of course, they will try to convince local population to sell spice to dutch companies.
At the same time, William Nassau decide to strengh the alliance with England by sending a priceless jewel to the queen. If the gift is well received, house of Nassau could imagine to establish a good marriage with a member of the English House

September: A royal marriage is celebrated in Wesminter between the house of Nassau, and the English monarchy. As a consequence, England become a more realiable ally. the next objective will be to made the same with France.

Januar 1561: The prince of Thuringe has decide that Thuringe will become a Protestant state as the Ausburg treaty allowed him.
With less difficulties than with England, Platinat engage in a royal marriage. Hlland had now 2 sure allies.

May 1561: Swedish merchands have become so good that they don't need anymore dutchs ones. Dutch merchants discover that establish a commercial empire in Europe will be very difficult.
Holland manage a royal mariage with France, but this move is not sufficient ot make France a reliable ally.

Septembre: Royal marriage with Hesse.

Octobre: Naval archtitect have a good news: They have found a new gun for my navy.

Januar 1562: Indigenes in St Martin have been decimated by an epidemy of English. The remaining are really more receptive to trade with europe. I immediatly send some traders with glass jewels, to exchange with Sugar.

March 1562: Merchants in Mahe have discover a natural port. I immediatly decide to colonise this island, as the strategical importance of this island, will be useful in the future.

Avril 1562: More and more merchants coming from Rhine countries arrive in Holland. The problem is they just come to sell their products nd tke back gold, thus makin a hard concurrence to dutch merchants. Dutch are obliged to react by obliging them to come back with Dutch textiles.

June: The maintenance cost of my navy and army is too high for me. Willem of Nassau decide that regiment will be armed and maintain by burger as communal millicia. Of course, the troop quality will sufer but the cost will be much less. Navy followed the same way.
My ambassador in denmark indicate me that Sweden and Scotland have declare war on Denmark.

October 1562: I opened a trading post in jamaiqua.

Avril 1563: Spanish merchants are competing in Flandres. Decision is taken to raise new troops, in the future objective of a war with Spain.

Januar 1564: Maximillien II of Austria has been elected Emperor. Austria is tied with Spain and bavaria in a strong alliance. This election allowed Austria to intervene anywhere in germany.

July 1564: Dutch traders opened a trading post in Guadeloupe.

December 1564: Saxony become more friendly with holland with the effort of local ambassador. France is now the only possible 'traitor' of the alliance, but some gift should improve this.

1 Januar 1565:
The French king has favorably received my gift. It is now the good time to try to definitively free from Spain.
Williem of Nassau decide to declare war on Spain and conduct himself troops.
Alliances entered immediatly in action, and what could have been a private war between Spain and Holland, turn to a massive European war.
France, England, Holland, the Palatinat, Saxony are now at war with Spain, Austria(HRE emperor) and Bavaria.

2 februar 1565: Williem start the siege of Antwerp with 22k men of dutch millicia.

Avril 1565: Western Europe and HRE is now in a total war. Looting, massacres, battlesare raging almost everywhere like on the assault on Dresde by 50k Austro-Bavarian army. Saxon bravely defend their capital and leave 5000 austrian soldiers to the ground.
French army has launch an assault on Besancon, with the promise that every spanish here will be hang.
Spanish army has march on Palatinat and started to loot everything.

16 april: The palatinat has surrender to Spain and pay a strong indemnities. The defection of Palatinat is a rude deception for our alliance.
Meanwhile, Saxony has agreed with Austria for a separate peace.My diplomats use immediatly this to convince Bavaria, that nothing good will happend from war with Holland and France. They agreed for a white peace.
All this diplomatic moves have complicated the situation:
France,England and Holland are now at war with Spain alone (as Austria has negociated separated peace with Saxony)
France, England, Holland and palatinat are at war with Austria.
Spain and Bavaria are at war with Saxony.

3 May: Antwerpt surrender to my troops. Williem decide to immediatly march on Hainault province.

10 May: I send the remaining dutch army (10k) under the command of General Egmond to luxemburg in order to intercept Spanish army coming back from Palatinat.
French take Besancon, and effectively hand some spaniard for the exemple.
On the other hand, Spanish army has marched through Pyrenees and capturate Bearn.

5 July: General Egmond crush 4000 spanish in luxembourg, but it remains not enough troops to effectively besiege Luxembourg.
Saxon army has crushed the last bavarian near Dresde. There will be more movement on this front.

25 July: French besiege Arras in Artois.

20 August: General Egmond received some reenforcement from France, enough to effectively besiege it.
during this time, Spain has send an expeditionnary force in Ireland, and the english have not been able to defeat the Spanish Armada.

6 September: French take Arras. The war slowly turn to my advantage.

7 October: Spain has send some troops against my trading post in Jamaiqua leave undefended. They have immediatly hang traders and burn every installation. This is a great loss for Holland.

17 October: Luxemburg fall.

20 November: under the wall of Arras, 50K french oppose to 45K spanish. The Spanish are victorious but exausted (they have loose 30K men).

26 November: The last spanish Stronghold Bruxelle, fall to Williem. If spanish want to continue war here, they will be oblige to march through France or fight English and Dutch Navy. This situation is recognised in Madrid.

28 November: The Bruxelle treaty is signed between Holland, France, England and Spain, thus ending the war.
Spain recognised the right to Holland of annex Flandres, and to France the right to take Artois. All other territories return back to their legitimate owner.

By taking Flandre, Holland increase heavily his tax revenue, and can now turn his eye on colonial expansionism, and perhaps on Portuguese monopolies.

Well seems like you are off to a pretty good start. Hated seeing those other provinces going back to Spain since they still hold a border with you.

Did you lose Gaudalupe altogether or can you still allocate funds to rebuild?

Originally posted by Dragon on 05-31-2000 04:55 PM

Did you lose Gaudalupe altogether or can you still allocate funds to rebuild?

This is the main difference between a commercial trading post and a colony. trading cost are really cheap, but remains very weak, and difficult to defend. Generally 'little nation' like portugal and Netherland can only afford trading post and try to compete on Center of trade.

AAR part II.
The rise of the Dutch merchant empire.

After the victory against Spain, Netherland can start to devellop overseas possessionsas a long period of peace occurs.

Januar 1566
Dutch Traders sails again in antilla, and open trading posts in St thomas, Barbados, and again in Jamaique.

September 1566
Dutch merchant regains the monopol of merchandise in Holland, lost a time due to effort of war.

October 1566: Russia take Uralsk to the Golden Horde.

Januar 1567: technological progress in optic allow dutch to watch for their coast. No navies could pass near my ship or my coast without being seen.
the decision to build a port in St martin in taken.

August 1567: A disaster. The ship containing colonists for St Martin has been sunk in a tempest, frequent in the Atlantic ocean. The difficulty to send colonist in the isles will discourage dutch colonist for years.

Januar 1568: Palatinat convert to Reformed Church. We welcome them in our communauty.

Mars 1568: In the war Sweden/denmark, Scotland is able to manage a separate peace: Denmark concede Jylland to Scottland.

May 1568: After years of inactivity, Austria agreed for a white peace with Netherland, France, and England.

July 1568: some colonist arrive in Mahe in oder to devellop Spice trade here.

August 1568: The war Sweden/Denmark come to the end. Sweden acquire Skane and Ostlandet.

October 1568: Dutch merchants acquire monopoly in Flandres.

Januar 1569:
I decided to expand trading post in antillas, in order to have more sugar for Holland.
In the east, Rumors of a big war between Venice/Russia/the knights/and persia against Turkey and Algiers. no doubt that massive armies will fight together here.

July 1569: St martin is now a colony. one hundred courageous Dutch have been able to construct a port here.

June 1570: Dutch governement discover some legal argument to refuse trade to someone. However, such a decision can make dutch merchants less competitive as they could hold a monopoly without effort. A decision is taken to not use this legal argument in Holland.

Janiver 1571:
More colonist are flooding to St martin.

Avril 1571: Hesse join alliance with France, England, Netherlans, Platinat and Saxony.

Avril 1572: Turkey take Istria and Illyria to venise.

Mars 1573: Austria and Spain declare war on turquey.

Januar 1574: My merchants become more competitive and trading income rise.

November: Cyrenaica revolt and break his vassal link with Turkey. My diplomat in Istambul inform me that large part of Ottoman Empire are revolting due to the lenght of wars.

Januar 1575 to 1584: The discoveries of Baraentz.
This day of januar 1575, a convince sailor, Barentz, propose to expand and refresh the map of the known world (from a dutch point of view). With 8 ship taken from the home fleet, Barentz cruse to St martin where he throw anchor on avril 1575.
From here, the expedition goes to Mahe with mission to made map of african coast. The 10 november, he cross the Good hope cape, and discover that Turks have reach this strategical province. In januar, barentz reach Mahe and take new provisions. He then sails to Red see and discover Aden on march 1576, Nubia in avril. Barentz then sail to Persian gulf, where he discover Oman in May. After taking new provisions in Mahe again. the decision to build a port here, start to have some fruit. Barentz then take the road to indonesia. In june 1577, he recognize the coast of Borneo. In december 1577, most of Indian ocean is discover. In 1581, He explore South Atlantic ocean where he discover St helen. In march 1583, Barentz return to St martin.
In januar 1584, the map of North american coast is ready, and in May, he is looking for a north passage. this mission is a failure, but territories full of furs have been discover in Canada.

When barentz returns to Holland, the trading empire has growth in proportion:
- St Martin is become a city, and a rich one.
- A port have been establish in Ciskei in South Africa, to give a sure spot near Good hope cape.
- tradings posts have been establish in south East Asia, and Indonesia.
- Also trading post have been opened in Canada and north America, for the commerce of Tabacco, and furs.
With all this merchandise, Holland has become the most active( and lucrative) center of trade in Europe. Only portuguese merchants in Asia can made more money with trade.

Politically, Netherland has create a new alliance when the previous one stop. this alliance is only for the profit of Netherland and include Hessen, Palatinat, Saxony, Prussia.

In Januar 1585, Maurice of Nassau replace Williem( die of old age) as leader of Netherland. It is now time, for holland, to battle for the monopolies of Asian Center of trade

What kind of trade 'Agreements/Alliances' can you form?

Why would it not be beneficial for you to sign continued agreements with England and or France?

I would think (maybe incorrectly) that having and alliance with England would assist you in defending the seas. Aligning with France has the benefit of aiding you againist Spain who still hold provinces adjacent to you.

Are you having problems with inflation?

Is it time to claim the two nearby Spanish territories?

Love the fact that Scotland went to war and won a province from Denmark think that is great. Same with Sweden actually since they are minor powers.

Any reason why you haven't created more cities? What is the big benefit of creating cities over having trading post?

Thanks for the AAR

What kind of trade 'Agreements/Alliances' can you form?

*None! the only thing you can do is refuse trade with some penalties (a free CB for the country you have refuse trade). I thing that holland is definitively not in position to give CB to all neighbours from HRE.

Why would it not be beneficial for you to sign continued agreements with England and or France?

I would think (maybe incorrectly) that having and alliance with England would assist you in defending the seas. Aligning with France has the benefit of aiding you againist Spain who still hold provinces adjacent to you.

*Having an alliance with a great nation could be interesting as you said for England. But the main point, is that alliance is two way: I have to help allies in their own war. At this point, Holland is not enough strong to bargain with others war. Funny how many money you need to raise a single 1k in Holland ;)

Are you having problems with inflation?

*Yes, too much in my opinion (about 35%)

Is it time to claim the two nearby Spanish territories?

*It is only a strategical choice, this two nearby territories are catholic and I don't want religions wars. The other reason is that Spain is still the dominent nation. I can imagine that even if I can conquer the two province, Spain can act in colonies and destroy or conquer everything here. The first war has only be won with the help of England and France.

Love the fact that Scotland went to war and won a province from Denmark think that is great. Same with Sweden actually since they are minor powers.

* 'Minor' power signify only that you can annex them, as previous said. In some game, I have seen minor becoming the strongest nation.

Any reason why you haven't created more cities? What is the big benefit of creating cities over having trading post?

*Once again money. Just to give an element. My annual budget is half of those other major nations. Building a cheap colony (in antilla) is 2/3 of my budget, and a costly one is 2 or 3 years of it. And you need to send a lot of colonist to build a city. Trading post are very less expensive, but with trading post you need to send merchants in COT to see your money back. With colonies, the money goes directly to your treasure...

Thanks for answering all my questions.
35% inflation, that's a bunch.

Can you build armies in your colony city and then ship them abroad ot do the have to stay in the colony?

Can you build or station troops in the trading post without having them suffer attrition?

In general when does attrition occur? Whenever you move an army or just when you leave the country?

Hi, Sarges,

You talked about inflation. That's an interesting subject. I would like to know how it is simulated.

I read in previews that the more cash you need (to pays soldiers or others people you've got, I suppose - mayble also for all corruption, gifts, etc.), the more inflation you've got. Just a few questions on that :

1/ If you don't use cash in a year, what does happen : does the inflation fall or rise ? I think it should fall, but can you confirm ?

2/ If the inflation rise more than, say, 20%, in these times and even now, the local currency went into a big devaluation most of the time : the inflation then could rise more than 100% a year (we've seen it recently again in Russia and South America). And the king had to coin a new money, with an other gold or silver composition. Can you tell me if the inflation only rise with only a change in quantity, or does the game simulate some money change or something ?

3/What is the impact of inflation on your treasury ? In the BG, the inflation makes the royal treasury decrease every turn, to simulate the loss of purchasing power. But this is absurd, as s/o who lent his cash to another player receives interest and at the same time didn't suffer inflation. Actually, the money you lend suffers purchasing power loss because of inflation. The interest can only compensate it, but not make it disappear.

Thank you for this AAR's. I like it very much.

Raphaël

A DUTCH AAR THANKS!!!!!!!

It was good to see that willem van oranje died of old age, even if that age wasn't that old...everything is better than being shot in your home i guess :)

I think you need to get that inflation down, otherwise you will grow to slow and your colonies can be picked off by others before you are really ready to take on others. ALlying wiht england might be good still, but after a while you should try to break his naval power, and make sure you control the seas.
it's almost vital with a colonial empire as you have/will have/musst have

The Dutch Guy
Marc

Dutch AAR: Part 3. Where Holland arise as a commercial and Colonial Power.

Start date 1585.

During the 5 first years of the reign of Maurice of Nassau, Netherland decide to improve his colonial empire in the antilla, and to expand, as well to expend furs trade in Hudson bay.
With St martin as permanent base for ship and men, Colons start to arrive to the near island of St thomas.
In Holland, the progressive benefits of trade, create some need for the population: the need for sugar, in a growthing population, is so high that every tons of sugar arriving in Holland is immediatly bought by merchants from all HRE.
The demand for sugar is so high that the price is over his normal value, thus making more profitable every colonies in Antillas.
The decision to open new plantations in St thomas, and colonist are sending to this near Island.
Meanwhile, Ciskei (in south Africa) has revealed as a profitable soil for sugar too. Link to the strategical position, colonist create quicly a city in 1589.
From our trading post in delaware, Indians are exchanging a new plant call Tobacoo against dutch merchandise. The demand for Tobacoo is nearly as high as those of sugar, so a new trading post in build in Roanoke.

Januar 1590.
The year start of the best way possible: Inflation has been jugulated from 37% to 4%. However, Dutch Merchants disagree about the decisive politics: some say that inflation has decrease due to the high rate of trade, some say that low intervention of the state has been the key. The only sure point is that event will not reproduce until a while.
The same year, an intrepid sailors called Houtman decide to explore the north of Europe. He discover Iceland in may, but it seems that nobody leave here. Certaintly that war between Sweden and Denmark have killed the complete population.
On august 1590, Maurice de Nassau heard that Poland has crush the Turkish army and conquer Carpathia and Moldavia.
Until 1596, Netherland continue to expand their colonies in Antilla, and Antigua join the club of Holland colonies.

During this period, the naval technology has greatly improve. It is now possible to construct Shipyard to produce ships in industrial quantities, but the cost is so high that none is contruct.
Another important point, is that engineers devellop a new naval canons with a higher range. It is now possible to block a port with a fleet. This decisive innovation decide Maurice of Nassau to prepare for war against Portugal.

From 1596 to 1598: Preparation of the war.
With the decision to make war, Maurice de Nassau decide to reinforce the army and to establish a strategical plan:
The idea will be to prepare an invasion of portugal with continental forces, invade bresil from antilla, and reach Mallaca in Indonesia from Ciskei and Mahe.
Of course, such an ambitious plan will only be possible with genious generals and sailors. This problem found a solution: Maurice of Nassau has prove to be an exceptionnal general, especially in Siege. The main army will be commanded by himself and General Hoorn will be his second.
For the expedition on Mallaca, a convince adventurer is found in the population of Mahe: Coen. his ability to conduct troops in foreign country, and his leader ship made of him the perfect men.

But generals and admirals are not sufficients. A strong army should be under their command. As current treasury is not sufficient, a loan is taken to rise new tropps in holland and in colonies. With all this troops, Maurice reform the army and turn back to professionals.
On political way, a new alliance is created including England, Hessen, Palatinat, Prussia.

The 9 may 1598, 40000 men, cannons, and cavalry embark in secret on the home fleet, wich take the direction of the high see.

This morning 13 August 1598, Lisbon is wake up by the declaration of war signified by the canons of the fleet just 500 meters from the coast. The surprise is complete: No army is remaining in Portugal to defend against the invasion, and most of the fleet is in the Indian ocean.

21 Septembre, after a quick assault from the 40K dutch leading by Maurice, Lisbon fall. The army is divided in two, Hoorn will go to north to Porto, and Maurive will go south to Algarve.

October: Maurice and Hoorn put siege under the wall of Porto and algarve. The lack of a permanent army in Portugal has greatly facilitate the campaign.

December: The second part of the strategical plan start. troops from antilla have sailed to Brasil and start to occupied the unprotected colonies of Recife.

Januar: The portuguese fleet have try to came back in Portugal. However, my own fleet in Ciskei have intercept the portuguese and sunk them. They will not received reinforcement from Indian Ocean.

24 Februar: St thomas fall to the portuguese. While I was sailing to Recife, Portuguese troops were sailing from Pernambuc to invade antillas.

1 May: St martin fall, but the remaining dutch troops are able to escape on board of the small fleet command by Houtman. They immedialtly go to antigua to reinforce.

30 May: The portuguese colony of Diamentina fall to my skirmishing troops in brasil.

28 June: Dutch troops recapture St martin. As the portuguese fleet was no more in antillas, the 2000 men occupiyng St martin surrender with no conditions.

28 August: I have failed to recover St martin and lost 1000 men in the adventure. i will need to reinforce to recapture this island.

14 October: Porto fall to Hoorn. Portuguese will quickly be overun by Dutch forces. Conform to the third part of the plan, 6000 men take the see from here to rejoin Coen and his 6000 men army in ciskey.

Januar 1600
I have found a leader for the troops in antillas: Peter Minuit. Even his knowledge of waris not the same as those of Coen, they will be sufficient to manage the 2000 men army in antillas.
In the same time, a new sailor is disponible: Tasman. I think that i will give him an expedition when the war will be over.
Algarve is occupied by Maurice.

August 1600: Coen embark in Ciskey, in direction of Mallaca with 12000 men.

14 November: Minuit recapture St thomas.

December: Coen arrive in thailland and start the siege of Mallaca. Even if the wall are strong, there is not enough defensors for a complete defense. He immediatly decide for a direct assault, and the 29 december, Mallaca fall to the Dutch. This port is the ultimate objective of the war: it is the only port in South East Asia, Portuguese have implented a Shipyard here, and it is the merchant port for all product of indonesia and even for chinses product.

The 30 december, Portugal recognise is defeat and ceded Malacca and Recife to Netherland (he would have prefer loose porto and algarve rather than Mallaca, but Maurice of Nassau could dictate his conditions), also as 250 ducats in compensation.

The new century start of the best way for the Dutch as Asian trade is opened to them.

Dutch AAR: part 4. The rise and decline of empires.

Date: januar 1601.

After the war against Portuguese, Dutch merchants decide to strenghen their commercial position in Asia, and in Holland.
In januar 1601, the monthly revenue of trade was 4,2 Ducats (about 1/3 of the budget). This extremely low level is due to the fierce competion in Holland and the lost of the monopoly here during the map.
But with the peace, money can be invest again in trade, and with the wealthy center of Trade of Mallaca, trade revenue incrase quickly to 25,6 a month! in August.
Spice, Chinaware, Tobacco, Furs, Sugar was Flooding in Amsterdam, inceasing vastly the fortune of dutch merchants.

In may, after years of wars in ottoman empire, the Hedjaz declare independant.

June: Minuit arrive in Surinam in order to evaluate the interest of a colony here. Strangely, a lot of indigens have gold jewel, but no gold is present here. Deciding to investigate further, he decide to march in the jungle in direction of the continent...

October: Gold! Minuit has found a mine of gold in Guyana in the interior part of continent. But feroucious tribes of indigens live here, and will oppose to any tentatives of colonisation or even trade.
With 1500 men armed with muskets, Minuit decide to reproduce the exploit of Cortes or Pizarro. In a short campaign, Dutch detachment 'pacificate' definitively the region.

Januar 1602: Mallaca revolt! The local mulsuman community really don't appreciate the anti-muslim politic of the governement. After a quick intervention of army, Some religious are send to mallaca to convert the province.

September 1602: Exhausted by the war against Turkey, Spain is obliged to concede independancy to Milan. As the two nation continue the war, it could be possible that other provinces try to become independant...

Februar 1603: with the war reparation of Portugal, holland can paid his loan. Knowing that this loan has been taken to make the war to Portugal, Dutch governement see that the war feed from the war.

May 1603: Tasman discover Western Australia. This territory seems to no be possible to colonize.

December 1603: After having follow australian coast, Tasman discover Eastern Australia. This territories fit better for colonization, but no valuable (spice, tobacco, Sugar) merchandise are found her.

May 1604:
Tasman discover New Zealand, and incredibly, English traders have already reach this island.

November 1604:
An incredible novel: Aragon has decided to made a secession from Castilla. The point is that the long war against Turkey has incredibely weaken the two empires.

Januar 1605:
A new general in Holland, Ryswick. As no war is planned for the moment, he will simply command the Zeeland garnisson.

17 Mars 1605:
the Spanish army has reacted and conquer back Aragon. Their independancy has be only 5 month.

Jully 1605:
Poland profits from a weak turkey and convince the Pope to launch a crusade. France, Parma, Savoy, and Papal States join the war.

Fevrier 1606:
The last portuguese merchant in Mallaca is throw out.
Meanwhile, Tasman discover Mallaca, and continue to the north.

Jully 1606:
After a short war, Turkey cede Transylvania and Maros to Poland.
Poland is now a massive power in east Europe even if it is theorically a 'minor' nation.

december 1606:
Tasman discover Kamtchaka, but the ice force him to go back south.

Februar 1607:
a colony is build in Surinam, and trade furs in Hudson bay is augmented.
A good news come from Milan (recently independant): Spanish have forgot a set of their maps here when they have leave the city. The prince of milan agreed to send me a copy in exchange of my own map.
On the 'milanese map', most of America is no more Terra incognita, and large portion of Ocean are now accesible without the need of exploration.
Maurice of Nassau decide that this knowledge should be exchange with our allies English.
The two map united, most of the planet is known to English and Dutch trader.

Time of exploration has ended for Holland. Next step will be expension.

really like this Dutch AAR. Whole new perspective on the game. This kind of game versitility is very nice too see. I also like how the because of your preoccupation with your war, which was relitively short, you still suffered on the Trade front. Obviously there is a fine line between economy and war and you neglect one for the other for any length of time and you suffer. Keep up the good work.

MORE MORE MORE, attack !!!!, capture Berlin and make them pay for the WC 1974 final !!!! (which theorectically, will never happen if you keep this up). Conquer the whole of Brazil, export all people with soccer qualities back to the mother country and begin a 400 year soccer-player-breeding program !

This is really the coolest AAR, more posts please.

Oh, and try to capture the entire Southern Netherlands (currently known as Belgium) so that we can organise Euro 2000 on our own and as one country !

Later

Originally posted by Andrus on 06-25-2000 03:35 PM
If the Duch keep it like that we will have Netherlands and Poland in 1974 final :) But where would that be held? ;-)

andrus

You are absolutely right.
I have not continued the AAR as it was less significitve for a dutch AAR, but here are the main fact of the 17th in the AAR:
- growth of colonies in North America, Antillas, Surinam, South Africa (Thus giving the biggest production of Sugar and Tobacco)
- Unification of the crown of Prussia and Holland (How did you guess?)
- War again Austria/Saxe/Hessen, and conquest of Saxe, Hessen and Bohemia.
- Devellopement of Trade and Manufactures.

All of this have made Holland the wealthiest country of Europa, but here is the funny point:
- with all this money, holland has the biggest fleet (more than 300 Ship of the line, and the possibility to build easely dozens more).
- but my armies have not enough men to expand more. In fact, continuous wars again France, Poland and Austria are bleeding me. Problems is that 18th century fortress need so much men to siege, that I barely can siege one or two with so much loss that I can't stand more. Happily, my own fortress protect well my provinces, but I can't get any more. 3 majors countries are emerging from there: France, England, and Russia.
More problematic, I suffer from a lack of good Generals (they was not a lot historical great leaders in 18th), and must use defaults one, who are really not sufficient.

Here is the most interresting point in Europa: whenever you do right or good, you never can't be sure that yours victories will last until the end of game.