Using Muslim Dynasties as their Country names?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay, first of all. The idea to make the last name of a family dynasty the name of a country in CK2 was a horrendous idea. For some of the CALIPHATES it is fine because they actually called their domains "the ****** Caliphate," but for example a country like the Ottoman Empire. To get things straight their dynasty name was NOT Ottoman; as portrayed in CK 2. Their name was Osman/Osmanali/Osman-ali. This was a flawed system in implementation. I also believe when you look around the current CK2 map wanting to create a title like I don't know. The Empire of Spain. You can't tell if it exists because it says Mojaud. This is also a EUROPA game; meaning the derivation of the LATIN names of country is to be their name. Which I find appropriate even if you want to go off and play some small country like Khiva etc. This is not World Universalis. Personally I believe the Dynasty name as a country name is just plain annoying. :angry: Though the derivation of the Ottomans was Osman's Empire... it simply wasn't just called OSMAN.

Hence the idea of adding an adjective to describe the country, i.e. Ottoman Empire. It's simply more accurate to describe Muslim countries using their dynasty name; Ayyubids, Fatimids, Hafsids, Ziyyanids, Jalayirids, Marinids, Nasrids, the list goes on. The Osmanli are the major exception because the name 'Ottoman' is used so overwhelmingly to refer to them in modern times.

Well for examples correct me if i'm wrong I love learning history. But some countries like Morocco were known as the Sultanate of Morocco. Or the Sultanate of Egypt, in translated terms; acknowledged by their own governments and people. Also this is a game from the European point of view even if you choose a off nation. For example the game map that is advertising this is all in sudo-latin. Not in modern English or in native tongue but how the Europeans would have it written.

Keep it as Ottoman Empire. Europeans may have called it "Turkish Empire" but the state didnt use that name. Actually, it was the mamluke state that used the name Turkiye. CK2 has a very good system of using the dynastical name. With that system, in the begining its just Ottoman beylik, Ottoman Sultanate once it becomes lager and Ottoman Empire after the conquest of Konstantinople.

Neither was Byzantium.
Byzantium is a good example as this name is absolutely legitimate in the modern academic studies. "Turkish Empire" on the contrary is just archaic egocentric form from early modern thought.

When you still have Tver, Novogorod, Yaroslavl and Muscow all as capitals of independent principalities, you can't just call one of them 'Russia' because that's what they called themselves.
Moscow and Muscovy are absolutely different concepts with very different connotations. You do understand this, right? For modern Russian people (especially those who not aware the historical context of it) to be called 'Muscovite" is negative and ethnic slur the same as to be called "nigger" for the African people. Московит/москаль is not the same like москвич.

China basically called themselves 'the whole world' and claimed that everyone was essentially their vassal and all foreign embassies to them were tributary in nature. Sometimes how you're seen from outside is more important than what you think of yourself as. Until Russia is properly united under one dynasty we have to use the term 'Muscovy' for convenience.
But it could be also simply absolutely historical "[Grand Principality of] Moscow" for example, without using this odd early modern archaisms. Same issue with the "Turkish"/Ottoman Empire.

Here are two that didn't die out until the 17th century I found after 1 minute on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaslawski

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrogski

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurikid#Princely_families_of_Rurik_stock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Sanguszko

But a large portion of the Polish-Lithuanian nobility were Ukrainian or Belarussian in origin and had at least a female link to the Rurikids.
All these and other families are known only from the 14th-15th centuries and all these "links to Rurik" are as much trustworthy as the links of the European aristocracy to Augustus or Lithuanian Gediminids' claim to be descendants of Polemon II of Pontus. Much as Romanovs too but this is a bit other story so. These Ruthenian families never had any claims to the virtual "Russian" (Kievan) throne back then and I am really absolutely astonished with your second epic sentence: "the Romanovs had them shipped off to Siberia for having a better claim to rule than they did."

This guy was a Rurikid according to my only real book on Poland.
The books by Zamoyski, Davies and Snyder on Eastern European history that are so popular in "Anglo-Saxon" world are good but unfortunately all of them are compilative synthesises with a lot of very questionable theories grounded on not very good sources and data. Mostly because they did not work with original historical sources and simply addressed the secondary ones as well as existing academic works. So, I do not blame you much in result that you have similar impression about Ruthenian nobility history like that of the "merry Rurikids under the Polish-Lithuanian Crown later shipped off to Siberia by the evil Romanovs".
Probably this is the influence of the Anglo-centric view on Eastern European history.:p

Moscow and Muscovy are absolutely different concepts with very different connotations. You do understand this, right? For modern Russian people (especially those who not aware the historical context of it) to be called 'Muscovite" is negative and ethnic slur the same as to be called "nigger" for the African people. Московит/москаль is not the same like москвич.
Sorry for going offtopic, but would you care to explain the difference? Why is Muscovite an ethnic slur?

As for the topic at hand, I think that the use of dynasties as country names, especially 'Mamluks' and 'Ming', became a piece of rather inconsistent design after the publishing of HTTT with its dynasty concept. I'm not sure what the best solution is, but I trust the Paradox designers to come up with a more conceptually consistent mechanism this time.

Keep it as Ottoman Empire. Europeans may have called it "Turkish Empire" but the state didnt use that name. Actually, it was the mamluke state that used the name Turkiye. CK2 has a very good system of using the dynastical name. With that system, in the begining its just Ottoman beylik, Ottoman Sultanate once it becomes lager and Ottoman Empire after the conquest of Konstantinople.

But using CK2's system it has to have a base name that 'Ottoman' over-rides. This might as well be 'Turkey' since it will help if it goes Republic somehow. Before uniting all the Beyliks, it can just be 'Ottoman' or 'Kahiyan'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moskal
The negative sense mostly rises from the absurd claim that the "Muscovites" are not Russians or even Slavic but "barbarian" "Tatars"/"Ugro-Finns" etc etc.

Its not completely absurd, its just hypocritical of the Ukrainians to claim to be purer Russian than the Russians when the Crimean Tartars once controlled much of Ukraine. Some Russians are Tartars and Ugro-finns at least partially. Its just insulting to imply that they all are while making up some nonsense claim to be a purer slavic yourself.

The books by Zamoyski, Davies and Snyder on Eastern European history that are so popular in "Anglo-Saxon" world are good but unfortunately all of them are compilative synthesises with a lot of very questionable theories grounded on not very good sources and data. Mostly because they did not work with original historical sources and simply addressed the secondary ones as well as existing academic works.

Well duh.

They are history books.

The questionable theories only arise because the sources we have are almost certainly lying to suit the political needs of those who wrote or commissioned them. One of the problems of the modern historian is that history has already been written and therefore about all they can do is re-hash it based on new theories that aren't always very sound. But that's part of what makes things interesting.

So, I do not blame you much in result that you have similar impression about Ruthenian nobility history like that of the "merry Rurikids under the Polish-Lithuanian Crown later shipped off to Siberia by the evil Romanovs".

The Romanovs seem pretty evil at times until the Soviets come along and completely out do them. They are the dynasty that as much as the Bourbon's advocated the ideas of 'absolute monarchy' even though the characters of individual Tsars could be quite nuanced.

Probably this is the influence of the Anglo-centric view on Eastern European history.:p

Better than the older western nonsense about the inferiority of eastern Europe.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the Muslim dynastic naming system from CK2 could also work really well in east Asia. China naturally has a dynastic naming system (Yuan, Ming, Qing, etc.), the Japanese daimyo states are dynastically named, and Korea is dynastically named to if you're not using the western translation putting Joseon to Korea.

My impression is that Dynastic names are more or less generated at random in EU3, with no control on your part.

When a fascist rebellion take over your country in V2, this is the result of your own action, not a random thing, because you made bad decision going to war with an unstable country or whatever, and it's mostly logical.

Well, in EUIII, if you don't want a Habsburg on the throne of England, don't marry one.
Most of the time that you lose a dynasty in EUIII it will be to one of three circumstances.
1) Dynasty dies out - someone from a royal marriage will take over (- includes personal unions)
2) Pretender revolt that you cannot defeat (-nearest to the fascist revolt)
3) Dynasty dies out - and is not taken over by someone from one of your royal marriages (this gives a random dynasty from your cultural list).

The last option, breaking a personal union is treated as 3 above.

Okay, first of all. The idea to make the last name of a family dynasty the name of a country in CK2 was a horrendous idea. For some of the CALIPHATES it is fine because they actually called their domains "the ****** Caliphate," but for example a country like the Ottoman Empire. To get things straight their dynasty name was NOT Ottoman; as portrayed in CK 2. Their name was Osman/Osmanali/Osman-ali. This was a flawed system in implementation. I also believe when you look around the current CK2 map wanting to create a title like I don't know. The Empire of Spain. You can't tell if it exists because it says Mojaud. This is also a EUROPA game; meaning the derivation of the LATIN names of country is to be their name. Which I find appropriate even if you want to go off and play some small country like Khiva etc. This is not World Universalis. Personally I believe the Dynasty name as a country name is just plain annoying. :angry: Though the derivation of the Ottomans was Osman's Empire... it simply wasn't just called OSMAN.

I've cut the colour because it was hard to read.
The only place the $DYNASTY_NAME thing is used in CKII is with the Muslim dynasties, which makes sense since in general the "X Emirate" or "X Sheikdom" are valid. As a modern example, Saudi Arabia is named after the Al-Saud family. In CKII, as a general rule of thumb, the Empire of Spain is likely to be held by the Muslim dynasty stretched over the majority of Iberia...

Yes, it is a EUROPA game as you notice, but would you prefer we used English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portugese or Russian derivations of country names? After all, not all the names are related across these languages.
Ottoman is a corruption of Osmanli (I apologise for the wrong i, but I don't seem to have it on my keyboard...).

Dynasty name is OK for nations that were known by the dynasty name (e.g. Ming China, Osmanli Empire (although here at least in English the derivation "Ottoman" is more familiar)), and can help to distinguish between different political entities that both claim the same area (e.g. in the War of the Roses, having "Yorkist England" and "Lancastrian England" would be valid), or different iterations of the same geographic entity. It isn't a case of replacing "England" with "Plantagenet" or "Tudor", but "Tudor England" might be appropriate. "Poland-Lithuania" can legitimately for a chunk of history be referred to as "Jagellionian Empire", and at one point the land held by the Plantagenets in England and France was informally known as the "Angevin Empire", since the Plantagenets were a cadet of the house of Anjou. Austria under the Habsburgs was legitimately "the Habsburg Empire" or the "Habsburg dominions".

I guess it depends whether a particular family were especially responsible for the rise and sustaining of the political unit ruling the geographic unit, and how they signed their paperwork. If it was signed as "Emperor X of the House of Y" rather than "X, Emperor of Y, King of A, B, and C", this gives different results.

Its not completely absurd, its just hypocritical of the Ukrainians to claim to be purer Russian than the Russians when the Crimean Tartars once controlled much of Ukraine. Some Russians are Tartars and Ugro-finns at least partially. Its just insulting to imply that they all are while making up some nonsense claim to be a purer slavic yourself.
Considering the complex ethnic and cultural map of Europe there are no "pure" nations at all, especially in Eastern Europe. That's why I consider such claims absurd. The Ukrainians are even more complex "mixture" (substrate) of various regional traditions of Slavic, Iranic, Turkic, Finno-Ugric and Germanic origin.

The Romanovs seem pretty evil at times until the Soviets come along and completely out do them. They are the dynasty that as much as the Bourbon's advocated the ideas of 'absolute monarchy' even though the characters of individual Tsars could be quite nuanced.
If to follow your way to be very picky than you should remember that there were no Romanovs when the Bolsheviks raised. There were only the Holstein-Gottorps claiming this Romanovs name for the descendants of Duke Karl Peter Ulrich of Holstein-Gottorp (aka Petr III) and Princess Sophia Augusta Frederika of Anhalt-Zerbst-Dornburg (aka Catherine the Great).;)

Better than the older western nonsense about the inferiority of eastern Europe.
It is not very old really - just one of many "great" Voltairian ideas that formed the mythologised identity of modern Europeans.

There were only the Holstein-Gottorps claiming this Romanovs name

If you insist on purely male line family names then whatever. The next king of England will be of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg branch of the House of Oldenberg pretending to be of the Battenberg branch that calls itself Mountbatten pretending to be of the Coburg-Gotha branch of Wettin that calls itself Windsor.

Despite this, neither the houses of pre-republican Russia or modern Britain are a variety of cow.

It is not very old really - just one of many "great" Voltairian ideas that formed the mythologised identity of modern Europeans.

Voltaire is pretty old as far as I'm concerned. Ancient? No. But 200 years is a long time.

Ottoman is a corruption of Osmanli (I apologise for the wrong i, but I don't seem to have it on my keyboard...).

Dynasty name is OK for nations that were known by the dynasty name (e.g. Ming China, Osmanli Empire (although here at least in English the derivation "Ottoman" is more familiar)), and can help to distinguish between different political entities that both claim the same area (e.g. in the War of the Roses, having "Yorkist England" and "Lancastrian England" would be valid), or different iterations of the same geographic entity. It isn't a case of replacing "England" with "Plantagenet" or "Tudor", but "Tudor England" might be appropriate. "Poland-Lithuania" can legitimately for a chunk of history be referred to as "Jagellionian Empire", and at one point the land held by the Plantagenets in England and France was informally known as the "Angevin Empire", since the Plantagenets were a cadet of the house of Anjou. Austria under the Habsburgs was legitimately "the Habsburg Empire" or the "Habsburg dominions".

Here you go ı :) ---> Osmanlı

Ottoman Turkish: Devlet-i Aliyye-yi Osmâniyye
Modern Turkish: Osmanlı Devleti or Osmanlı İmparatorluğu
European: Ottoman Empire, Sublime Porte, Turkish Empire, Turkey.