• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 14: Time for revenge

It had become Anno Domini 1413, the King had retreated from the war with Hungary. He had internal problems to deal with.
(OOC: I didn’t want my allies to kill the Hussite rebels.)

Ludvik and Vilém couldn’t have chosen a worst moment to start a rebellion, it was winter and we suffered losses from cold and hunger. I didn’t only have to worry about men, I was the leader of the only rebel army with horses. It were only a thousand against the thousands of horses of the King, but it was something.

Later it crossed my mind that Ludvik and Vilém couldn’t have chosen a better moment for our rebellion. Sure, we were affected by the cold while we sieged the castles of the Catholic nobles. Sure we suffered, but so were the armies of the King. They had to come back from Hungary first though, and had to travel across the mountains. When they came back to Bohemia the King’s soldiers had no motivation, no morale, left to fight their own kin in the winter.

Vilém had the first success with his siege, at the end of January he had breached the walls of the castle at Hradecko. He would make sure that our brethren at home would be safe. He did not yet want to try a full assault on the castle, as any wound would lead to certain death within a week due to the cold. No, he waited, got on the nerves of the soldiers inside the castle. We couldn’t be so patient, the winter was more harsh in Wroclaw and we had to ration our food supplies. We could restock later in the year, but we couldn’t wait too long, for the King’s armies would come to us when the weather was better.

It had become March, the weather had become better, but there were no successes with our sieges. The men in the castles had lasted the winter, we wondered how long their supplies would last. It would be a lot shorter than ours, as we got at least some fresh supplies every now and then.

On the 5th of March the castle gates of Wroclaw opened and the soldiers poured out. They went straight for our food supplies, their intentions and needs were clear. I grabbed my hammer and went straight to where the fight was. They showed no quarter against their own countrymen, who off course they saw as filthy heretics. They were vastly outnumbered, but still they tried to savagely kill as much of us as they could. They were trained soldiers, while most of us were just armed peasants.

When I arrived at the scene of the battle I recognized the captain, a bald man with a black moustache. So this is where he had fled too. They had come on foot, so I towered over the captain, he was a man of average length and I was half a foot taller. Not only did I have my length in my favour, as a smith I also had my bulk, my muscles which I used every day to left my hammer and smash upon whichever I was working on at the moment. At this moment I was working on that captain, that savage man that had ordered the death of Markéta, and Darina.

As he stood before me he recognized me too, ”Ah, it’s you, the man of that woman leader of the whole bun..”

Before he could end his sentence I had put all my anger, all my revenge into the arm that held my hammer. I swung my arm and split his helmet in two, my hammer ripped through his skull and took the top part of his head off. I raged, I shouted my longs out and let out a roar of which I didn’t think myself possible. All the men around me tried to get away from me, afraid to be close to the men that seemed to come straight out of hell itself. The Catholic soldiers saw their captain falling to the ground, his head smashed to pieces by something they believed was not entirely human. They fled back into their castle, they wanted to show us no quarter, but were shown no mercy on themselves instead. Without their leader their morale and discipline broke.

X0SxeWN.jpg

We tried to follow them into the castle, but they closed the gate before we could get inside. We assaulted the castle, while they were still low on morale and discipline. Although we tried, we couldn’t breach the castle, we couldn’t get inside. They were still trained soldiers, who were afraid for the Man with the Hammer outside their walls.

Two weeks later we heard the news that the walls of Morava were breached. We were now the only Hussite army that hadn’t breached the walls of the castle they sieged. Our men were still recovering, but some didn’t heal of their wounds and succumbed to the cold and the lack of food. We had to win this siege, for if it would take too long and the King would convince his troops to fight us, there would be no Hussites left to spread the true word of God.​

Last edited:
Sorry again for taking a while to catch up with this story. A bit more than two nights this time.
It's certainly gotten a lot more violent than before but I suppose it fits with the shift to the uprising and response. Reading the tragedy that happened to Viktor's family probably wasn't the best thing to do before going to sleep thanks to the sad mood it's put me in.
Regarding feedback, I again recommend that you find some way of checking the text for grammatical issues. Another point I'll make because I do it all the time is comma usage. I notice a lot of your sentences are clause-comma-clause. Perhaps you should break this up a bit and turn them into two or more separate sentences with no commas in them and check to see whether some sentences even need a comma between the two parts. Don't be afraid of short sentences. They help. A tip I read recently is to mix up the length of your sentences. This helps keep them from becoming monotonous.

I'm not sure Jan Hus would approve of such violence...
I don't think that he would, but Viktor is in a different state of mind right now. Losing your family tends to show the extreme side of people.

Sorry again for taking a while to catch up with this story. A bit more than two nights this time.
It's certainly gotten a lot more violent than before but I suppose it fits with the shift to the uprising and response. Reading the tragedy that happened to Viktor's family probably wasn't the best thing to do before going to sleep thanks to the sad mood it's put me in.
Regarding feedback, I again recommend that you find some way of checking the text for grammatical issues. Another point I'll make because I do it all the time is comma usage. I notice a lot of your sentences are clause-comma-clause. Perhaps you should break this up a bit and turn them into two or more separate sentences with no commas in them and check to see whether some sentences even need a comma between the two parts. Don't be afraid of short sentences. They help. A tip I read recently is to mix up the length of your sentences. This helps keep them from becoming monotonous.
Yes, a bit more violent because of the events, Viktor isn't a violent man himself. Sorry to hear that this AAR made you sleep bad.

About the grammar, I use word and do check it. I also know (because of several things written at the university) that I do have the habbit to write sentences like that. It's good that you notify me about it, I'll try to watch it a more from now on. I hope it improves.

Sorry to hear that this AAR made you sleep bad.
Don't worry about it. I ended up looking at some cat pictures to bring my mood up.
About the grammar, I use word and do check it. I also know (because of several things written at the university) that I do have the habbit to write sentences like that. It's good that you notify me about it, I'll try to watch it a more from now on. I hope it improves.
What version of Word? I think the newer ones can detect when you might've used the wrong tense or homophone. I don't know how "shoxen" got past anything with a spellchecker.

Don't worry about it. I ended up looking at some cat pictures to bring my mood up.
What version of Word? I think the newer ones can detect when you might've used the wrong tense or homophone. I don't know how "shoxen" got past anything with a spellchecker.

The 2007 version, I may have overlooked that one, all the names come up 'wrong' too.

Chapter 15: Our first victories

It was the 13th of April, for Catholics it would become a day of horror. For us it became the day of our first successful siege, the castle of Hradecko had fallen. The people follow the victorious and more people dared to express that they were Hussites. The Hussite path was now the most practised path in Hradecko. Finally my home was the way it should be.
RBiJtdl.jpg

The victory of Vilém at Hradecko spurred Ludvik into action too. He and his men from Tabor couldn’t have it that they had been beaten by Vilém for the first successful siege. Ludvik didn’t have enough men for an assault, so he had to wait until Vilém was in Morava. When they arrived they assaulted the castle with both armies. I heard they fought like madman, still, the assault lasted for five days before it was over. We had won, another province freed from their Catholic oppressors. I heard the people cheered for Ludvik and Vilém. The townsfolk was excited to finally be able to follow the faith they wanted instead of the faith that was pressed upon them.

0vEVDnv.jpg

Inspired by the success in Hradecko and Morava we assaulted the castle in Wroclaw again. Again, we failed. We had superior numbers, twenty two thousand against a thousand. Numbers weren’t enough though, we fought against professional soldiers, and zealots at that. Only the army of Josef had had some training, and most of us were just armed peasants. We fought with fervour, we fought for our Hussite cause, but they too fought for a cause. It seemed that even though Wroclaw had a lot of Hussites already, the Catholics were in that castle. They were also desperate no to be beaten by us Hussites.

The King, or one of his generals, had finally been able to convince some of his armies to fight against us. They wanted more pay, but didn’t get any. We were just peasants and should be easy to deal with. The King wanted Morava back. Hadn’t he learned from our capture of two of his provinces that we were not to be trifled with? He send eleven thousand soldiers against Ludvik, he should have sent more. Even though Ludvik had only been the captain of the gurad and not an officer in the army, he knew what he was doing. He had trained the men in his army well and they stayed in order when the waves of the King’s soldiers came upon them.
HJZ8RSH.jpg

”It was a slaughter, not of us, but of them.” Ludvik would later tell me. ”They had no morale and no reason to be there besides their meagre pay and the generals that would chase them back to the battlefield if the fled. Those generals had not counted on the high morale and amount of order of my army. The King’s army fought, but without spirit. As soon as the defeat was clear to them they all fled to where they came from. Back to the King that couldn’t handle that his own nobles and peasants successfully rebelled against him. That we fought for something we truly believed in. So his soldiers fled back to him, but I knew they would be back. I knew that the King would send them straight back to us again. So I prepared my men for the second round. The men who I didn’t want to lose, for they were mine and I was responsible for them. I was responsible for every woman that didn’t get her husband back, for every child that lost its father. So I made sure we were all prepared for the 2nd battle of Morava, of which I sure it would come.

Last edited:
You're in the odd position where a loss is actually a win for the story. I don't mind if you don't want to answer but are you actively trying to lose to the Hussites while playing or are you just playing things out as the King might have done and seeing where it goes?

Yeah, it's a bit weird. Losing is winning.

I tried actively to not do anything about it. I don't want to say too much, but you'll find out a bit about it one of the next chapters. At the moment I have only half a chapter still ready, but I got ideas. I am distracted by another game.. I will say it has to do with the King. I also wanted an active battle, so I could at least describe one battle. I wanted to attack the army Viktor was leading, but off course the rebels in Wroclaw started to assault the castle. I had to be a bit creative of how Viktor would take revenge for Markéta. An actual battle in Wroclaw would have been nice for the event "The battle of Wroclaw." though.

Chapter 16: The end of all the slaughter.

The second battle of Morave came, but we would call it the second slaughter of Morava. What had driven the King into pointlessly ordering his own soldiers into death? At the same time that Ludvik was attacked again we assault the castle of Wroclaw again. Under the beating July sun we marched upon it. We knew that there couldn’t be a lot of soldiers left inside. We had killed and wounded hundreds during our previous assaults. We couldn’t let them hold the castle a single day longer. We had to show them that they would go down. We had to make them surrender without too many losses. I was done with the fighting, enough lives had been lost. I had never been a man to fight and I wanted it to end. My lust for revenged had been diminished, although I still fight for the Hussite cause.

I wanted to see Jan and Jarek again. After I had lost my love I longed to see my children again. They were all that still remained of her. They would miss me too, first they lost their mother and little sister. After that their father had gone off to lead a rebellion, not sure if I would return. Markéta’s father would do the best he could for them, but he was turning into an old man. He still was the richest man in Hradecko and perhaps even of a larger area too, but money can’t buy you a longer life. It can’t help you when you’ve lost so much, but luckily he had Jan and Jarek to live for. I lead the men that had followed me since my speech in the meeting place and those that had followed the mass. I had crafted some crude helmets on a makeshift smithy. They weren’t much, but it was the best I could to. I was a blacksmith, not a weapon- or armour smith. I wanted to make sure that my men were as save as I could make them. I wanted to reunite as many Hussites as I could with their families. I hoped to be one of them.

We proceeded with the assault, we halted our ladders against the walls and climbed upwards. We pressed hardest at the gates, which we wanted to open so my men could poor in through them and overtake the Catholics. Perhaps if they would see us poring through the gates they would finally lay down their arms. I went first up at the ladder closest to the main gate. When I stood on top of the curtain wall and I saw the terror in the eyes of the soldiers. Even though it had been four months since I killed their leader with one mighty swing of my hammer, they still remembered. They remembered and they feared. The man with the hammer had come for them. All the morale and fighting spirit that they still had left them at that moment. They had no food left, they had given up hope for reinforcements. They gave up before half a minute of fighting was done, even though they were Catholic fanatics, they knew that God had left them.
1ZixqKg.jpg

I could be long about the second slaughter of Morava. I however shall be short, it was not my battle and not my story to tell. The king had ordered his soldiers straight back when they had come to him. They have had no reinforcements, no help at all. They were just ordered straight back to “Deal with those Hussites!” Ludvik had to win a battle against his own brother he told me afterwards.​

A small chapter this time, but I've got ideas for more and hopefully they will be longer.

Chapter 17: A reunion I didn’t think would ever come.

What did I do wrong that I had to lead this army? I have heard who leads their army. My brother, my little brother. He’s always been better at everything, it’s just that I was the oldest that I had to lead the armies. Why does it have to be me. I have served my King well and honest. Perhaps he knows that my brother leads their army, but why would he test me like this? He knows I am loyal to him, doesn’t he? I have fought for him in Hungary, why does he do this to me? I can’t change it however, I will just have to face it.

I will have to face my brother with an army that lacks morale, that is not paid properly to fight a war against their own people and that already lost a battle to them. I know I could win, if we got full pay and time to regain our morale. I need so much, which I will not get. We will have to go through this. Me and my army.

The time to battle has arrived. A lovely weather could have given us some hope, but this pouring rain doesn’t really help. They men are wet and their clothes stick to their backs. The sweat and urine of fear wash up with the pools or rain that never stops. I see the men glancing to each other, sometimes up to me. They know what will come and they fear that they will be the one of those that will not see the end of the day. They are professional soldiers and they know it’s part of the life they live. That doesn’t lessens the fear, they still want to enjoy life as long as they can, just as every other men. Most of them don’t even care about the faith of the people they have to fight. They don’t care that they are Hussites and that they themselves fight in the name of their Catholic King. They do not want to fight this fight, but they keep their honour. They are in the King’s army and they will fight. I will make sure they will if they won’t.
I look across the field of grass and water pools and see a single banner waving and flapping in the wind. Our own hangs wet and tight around the pole it is attached too. Even in this gruesome weather they have their symbol waving freely for them, while ours tries to hide itself. Is it a sign of God himself? Is it a sign that we believe the wrong faith, that they are right? I give the signal with my hand, the men stand in a line as straight as they can make it. They try to ignore the pools between their feet, holding onto the little comfort they still have. I sigh a final time at this meaningless battle and nod to the drummer. He beats the drums and the men start marching forward in the rain. The beats of the drum on the rhythm of the feet that splash in the pools. Our enemy just stands there, waiting for us. Waiting for us to become tired, waiting for us to get our legs wet beyond the depth of the pools. They wait how we lose our strength fighting the mud sucking at our feet. It is as if the mud is trying to hold us back against this folly. We march however, we march towards our doom.

Our march is slow and painful. We try to move forward, but our progress is slow and they are waiting for us. They wait for us, to come to them, so they can kill us. They don’t stick to the honour codes of knights. Why would they? They don’t fight to win and march away. They are fighting for their very survival, they will use every advance they can get. We slowly progress and when we are within the distance that arrows can fly, they come flying to us. I order our archers to start firing too. I see my own soldiers falling, being stepped on by the soldiers coming after them. They step on them, for they have no way to evade the corpses of their friends fallen before them. We are not alone in having losses, I see some of the Hussites fall too. Their fallen are far less than our fallen however. Some dozens fall, perhaps a hundred, but no more. We continue forward, wrestling our way through the field. It is now not only wet with rain, but with blood, sweat and piss as well. I hear a trumpet. It’s sound rips through the sounds of falling rain and men in the final moments of their life. The moment I heard is was the moment I knew that this battle was done. At the sound of the trumpet the Hussites take a step forwards, united in one line. It was all their soldiers did and it was all they had to do. Our ranks had remained a straight line, or as straight as they could be on a field that was more pools than grass. The moment the Hussites stepped forward however was all it took to break them. The men scattered and ran away, this battle was lost before it truly began.

L2sYH5r.jpg

I remained there on the battlefield, although there had been no true battle and there wasn’t much field left either. I remained there and felt how the rain fell on my bare head. I had thrown away my helmet, for it had no further use. I felt the rain poor on me, I felt how it chilled my bones in the middle of the summer. I felt how my life flowed away with the warmth of my body. I sat there on my horse, waiting for the Hussites to come. Who knew what they would do to me?

”I should have known they could sent you to deal with us.”

“Hello, Ludvik. It has been a long time since we last saw each other, little brother.”

“A shame that this has to be how we meet again, but I knew the day would probably come one day. With me as one of the leader of the Hussites and you one of the King’s generals.”

“You have always fought against those that are bigger than you, while you knew you were the better. What will you do with me know? Will you hang me for being a Catholic, or for following the orders that the King gave me?”

“I will use you to show them a message, but not like that. We believe in a Kingdom on Earth and killing your own brother will certainly not be part of that. I will use you however to deliver a message, but in the true meaning of it.”

I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. It seemed that I would live to see another day.

”You will tell the King that his army is beaten. You will tell him that no matter how many soldiers he will send to defeat us, we will be the victor. You will tell him that we Hussites follow the path as God wants it. Before you can do that however we will show you how the path of Hus looks like. That way you can show him why we are right and you will know yourself that you speak the truth.”

“Yes little brother.. Thank you for letting me live.”

It seems a bit odd that the King doesn't just combine his armies and try to wipe out the separate Hussite armies. Incompetence or perhaps hidden sympathies (or perhaps it is convenient for the story's plot). Ludvik has pretty good command stats for a commoner.

It seems a bit odd that the King doesn't just combine his armies and try to wipe out the separate Hussite armies. Incompetence or perhaps hidden sympathies (or perhaps it is convenient for the story's plot). Ludvik has pretty good command stats for a commoner.

The King has his reasons for it. I try to write the chapter, but I'm a bit dry on inspiration. I know what I want to write, but I don't know how to write it (aka, I need a bit more filler.)

Well, as you can see here in chapter 17, Ludvik isn't just a commoner. I want to add some extra stuff to the chapter of the King too, to clear several things up. It's also to give more character to the King.

I have rewriten the chapter of the King a bit. I hope it is now a bit more clear how he does things. I hope to have the next chapter up somewhere this weekend. This AAR is still alive and kicking.