• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

macdesktops

Corporal
57 Badges
Dec 11, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
I was automatically upgraded to 1.5.0 by Steam today. Unsurprisingly, this broke my Ironman save which I'd like to finish.

So, I tried reverting to 1.4.4. Unfortunately, the game crashes. Steam launches the launcher okay, but from there, choosing either Resume or Play causes a crash. The Paradox Crash Reporter fails to upload crash reports.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-08 162205.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-08 162205.png
    106,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-02-08 162435.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-08 162435.png
    18,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-02-08 162440.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-08 162440.png
    913,8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions:
BTW, I have not yet purchased Royal Court. This is triggered just by the Free Update.

Reverting to 1.4.2 crashes the same way (I only tried Play, not Resume for 1.4.2).

I completely uninstalled and then installed 1.4.4 directly. Still crashes when choosing Play.

Did you load your 1.4.4 Ironman save under 1.5 somehow?

When you revert game versions, you should delete at least the three 'cache' folders in the Documents/paradox interactive/ck3/ folder - does that help the crash on start of 1.4.4 ?

Saw a suggestion in a bug report for 1.5 crashing. I deleted the .txt file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings III\game\dlc\dlc004_ep1\music and the one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings III\game\dlc\dlc004_ep1\music\main_themes and now I'm able to load my Ironman save again.

Thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ally-crashing-at-launch.1509747/post-28064322

Reactions:
Though I did try opening the Ironman save in 1.5, I force quit the application when I saw that the save was not compatible. The Date Modified did not change. It was still from yesterday.

When you revert game versions, you should delete at least the three 'cache' folders in the Documents/paradox interactive/ck3/ folder - does that help the crash on start of 1.4.4 ?
I performed an Uninstall from Steam, and then re-installed 1.4.4. Presumably, that would have nuked the cache folders.

As noted in my post 3 minutes ago, it appears that the music list files (.txt files) in the dlc004_ep1 folder are the culprit.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Thanks; the clean reinstall I usually suggest for such issues would have worked too, I'm sure.

I performed an Uninstall from Steam, and then re-installed 1.4.4. Presumably, that would have nuked the cache folders.
Not at all. Steam only deletes files it put there, not ones the game creates for itself.

Saw a suggestion in a bug report for 1.5 crashing. I deleted the .txt file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings III\game\dlc\dlc004_ep1\music and the one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings III\game\dlc\dlc004_ep1\music\main_themes and now I'm able to load my Ironman save again.

Thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ally-crashing-at-launch.1509747/post-28064322
this worked for me. @AndrewT , looks like the new music tracks break the rollback

This is all great but unfortunately no-one is explaining HOW you even try to run the game on 1.44....? Can someone give some easy to follow steps on how to do this?

My problem is I had Steam force the update and then when I clicked continue my Ironman I get loaded into a game where the changes in the game have clearly ruined my entire storyline - prestige level dropped about 3 tiers etc etc. If I can load it from the pre-RC install I might be able to continue the playthrough. Help appreciated.

Can you be a bit more specific here? The below screenshot is from my CK3, ".launcher-cache" folder. There's another "cache" folder but that's completely empty so I assume it's the one with these in.

Now, are you recommending I sort by date (newest first) and just delete the top 3 folders or just the news-assets ones......?

1644767613633.png

As per my above message, I have an ironman play through that did load on RC but the conversion to RC did not go well so the playthrough is broken. The game did crash when I tried to click through a new tooltip but I must assume the Ironman save might now have been changed by running on 1.5...?

Edit: I can confirm that rolling back to 1.44 (through the Steam "Beta" mechanic, I think this is the right way to do it) and then trying to restore my Ironman save does not work. It now says that Ironman is saved under 1.5. Can I roll back via this cache deletion?

This is all great but unfortunately no-one is explaining HOW you even try to run the game on 1.44....? Can someone give some easy to follow steps on how to do this?

My problem is I had Steam force the update and then when I clicked continue my Ironman I get loaded into a game where the changes in the game have clearly ruined my entire storyline - prestige level dropped about 3 tiers etc etc. If I can load it from the pre-RC install I might be able to continue the playthrough. Help appreciated.

In Steam, right-click on Crusader Kings III
choose Properties...
select Betas
change the dropdown from None to 1.4.4 - Old version 1.4.4 (Azure)

This works for any Steam game and is usually necessary to finish off saved games after a significant update.

The three cache folders are:
C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\cache
C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\shadercache
C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\terraincache

Edit: I can confirm that rolling back to 1.44 (through the Steam "Beta" mechanic, I think this is the right way to do it) and then trying to restore my Ironman save does not work. It now says that Ironman is saved under 1.5. Can I roll back via this cache deletion?
Unfortunately, once your ironman save has been "updated", there's no way to return it to 1.4.4. You would have needed to ctrl-alt-delete and kill the ck3.exe process as soon as you saw the update had spoiled your save. If you run backup software, you should be able to retrieve a backed up copy from before the 1.5 update.