Unable to buy anything from store due to xsolla microtransactions

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TStam

Recruit
22 Badges
Jun 23, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hi all.

So I'm a long time EU fan and have them all up to EU3. Now, with the midsommer sale I figured I'd jump into EU4 by getting the entire pack for around £64 pounds.

However, there is some sort of "extra check" in place where Xsolla does a mircotransaction to my card and I have to fill in the amount to make my order go through. Problem is, the amount never shows on any of my cards. I tried using both my UK debit card (English banks take FOREVER to show transactions), and my Dutch VISA credit card doesn't show any microtransactions either.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? How to get around it? I've never encountered a system like this where a microtransaction is made to verify a card. It effectively means I can't buy from Paradoxplaza as the system they have in place simply doesn't work. It also seems unnecessary as both VISA (verified by VISA) and my UK bank have systems in place to avoid abuse.

What's your experience with Steam? The prices on Steam don't reflect the midsommer sale prices on Paradoxplaza. Do you reckon the sale would be available on Steam too? I would get the bundle there if it were available there at some point.

Cheers,

Tim

Reactions:
Yes, we are having problems with Xsolla payments this weekend. They worked fine up until then , I don't know what's changed where! I'll bring it up with Paradox on Monday of course.

The sale lasts until 27th so hopefully it can get fixed up tomorrow.

Sales are mostly confined to one store. I can't say when the next Steam sale will be, I am sorry.

So I just phoned my bank and they can actually see these micro transactions. This would possibly be a way around this block.
I did actually try to make the purchase again just now, but now the Xsolla system gives me this message:

1049: Your payment was declined for security reasons. Please contact our customer support for further assistance at help.xsolla.com.

It looks like my card is being refused flat out. When I contact Xsolla, they don't reply in person but some sort of bot sends an entirely useless automated reply. So, now my purchase is being blocked from their end for whatever reason.

VERY frustrating. I've literally spent hours on this now and quite frankly I'm bored of it. I will see if an actual person replies with something useful. Otherwise I'll forego the purchase. Good god what an annoying system. As much as I love your games, this grinds my gears too much.

Why on earth do you still do business with them?!

Reactions:
Hi there!
One of our main goals is complete fraud protection for our partners and for you, their players. We know that verifying your card may be a minor (or major!) inconvenience, but we believe that your info’s security is worth an extra minute or two, and we hope you agree.

And our Support Bot is still learning, our apologies that it did not help you that much as you would wanted to. As we see, our agents (who are 100% real people) have picked your case for further investigation. We truly believe that together we can make it work!

Thank you for your continued patience

Reactions:
I can appreciate the need for fraud protection, and for certain a minute or two are not a problem at all.

However, this has now been a thing on and off for the past 1.5 days and I have been in touch with Paradox, Xsolla and my bank to get answers. Multiple times. You can call that a major inconvenience.

As convinced as I am that we can "make it work", with all due respect, buying a game should not be this much trouble. It's madness really.

I will take this up further with your support team who have contacted me in the mean time. Let's see how long it takes to get it sorted in the end.

Thank you.

Reactions:
We do understand that it needs some time and efforts to call the bank and ask for the additional information and we are truly sorry for the inconveniences. Please note, that you can also always contact us in our Live chat at help.xsolla.com and we would be very happy to offer you an immediate help!

Thank you for your patience and understanding

Reactions:
Unable to make the verification aswell it simply dosent apear on my bank account (Nykredit, Denmark)

Hey Chillitoke,

I just got around the issue by phoning my bank. The microtransaction showed up within minutes of trying to make the purchase, but I couldn't see it, so I had to phone the bank, who can.
I suggest you phone your bank too. I am certain they can see the microtransaction that was made by Xsolla to allow you to make the purchase.

I have the same issue and attempted to call my bank just to double check and they couldn't see any transaction either. Despite that I appreciate this extra layer of verification, it's quite rubbish when it doesn't work.

I thought I'd update you here with my findings, as I know I am not the only one with this issue (it's all over the internet).

So for some reason Xsolla had blocked my card entirely yesterday. After contacting them and providing them with some figures of the micro transactions made, they unblocked my card (UK Visa debit).

This morning I successfully made the purchase, which involved having to phone my bank and asking them for the mirco transaction amount, which did show up fairly quickly (2-3 minutes) and they were able to see. When I filled it in, the purchase went through and I have now linked it to Steam and downloaded/installed EU4. Can't wait to give it a go.

I have let Xsolla know it all went through now, and left them with some feedback to try and make their payment system more compatible with European banking, which it obviously is not. At least not in many cases and in my case. My Dutch bank didn't even show any micro transactions.

If you're in the UK, a workaround is thus to phone up your bank and ask them for the figure that you have to fill in. They can also see the 4 digit code that can be filled in alternatively.

Another bane I have is that when I try to make the purchase in the UK, I can't change my billing address to the Netherlands for example, which is probably why my bank there never saw a micro transaction in the first place. It would seem Xsolla entirely ignores the fact that tens of millions of us in the EU are from one country but live and work in another, and will have bank accounts across different countries as a result. This is an integral part of European society and economy, and it really irritates me that this is not properly taken into consideration by providing a system in which I can use my cards from another country.

In a day and age where purchases are digital and instant, it should not be so much hassle to make an on-line purchase, and the fact that two entirely legitimate cards of mine were either impossible or difficult to use in my view entirely overshoots the purpose of preventing fraud. As much as I appreciate the need for fraud prevention (including protecting Paradox from fraudulent purchases with fake cards), there must be a more intelligent way to do this. Other platforms exist and quite frankly I have never seen this system of card verification anywhere, ever.

I must say that Xsolla's customer support was swift on the matter and have helped me resolve it. Faster than most customer service departments that I have been in touch with in general. It is however a shame that it took about two days to get it done in total, and that it has to be such a frustrating process where one has to get in touch with the bank, Paradox and Xsolla multiple times, costing many hours of actual time spent on the matter.

An added irony is that my UK bank initially also blocked Xsolla's micro transactions as Xsolla was flagged up as fraudulent. I was contacted by the fraud department of my bank to verify these micro transactions. This is apparently due to the fact that Xsolla does not always refund the micro transactions and sometimes hidden fees were involved. In this case thus the anti-fraud system was flagged as fraud.

If this is the case for any EU citizens here, the EU has a website where you can submit complaints about on-line vendors and get them resolved:
https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/index.cfm?event=main.home.chooseLanguage

I will add that in my case no hidden fees seem to have been applied, the micro transactions were never let through by my bank, and VAT was added to the overall price shown to me on purchase (apparently also something that was missed by Xsolla in the past). In other words, no surprises happened to me in this case.

The main reason I put up with this nonsense is because the deal that was offered - the entire EU4 collection for 65 pounds instead of 200 pounds, was too good to pass up, and I am a long time Paradox games fan and really love Europa Universalis as well as Paradox titles in general. Had I been a "casual" buyer though, I would have probably walked away from the purchase.

As for the PayPal workaround, I used to have it but then it got hacked once and I had to go through a lot of trouble to get that sorted. I don't trust PayPal to be secure and since I hardly ever need it, I decided to close mine down and never go there again. In either case, it should be quite simply easy and possible to pay with credit card.

I really hope Xsolla figures out solutions to these issues, and I hope Paradox can find other ways of selling from their on-line stores that are less troublesome.

And of course, thank you Paradox for this amazing Midsommer offer, and thank you to Xsolla for eventually getting me through their system.

Perhaps it is a good idea for others who can't pay through this system to post here too, as from searching around the internet the number of people having trouble with this system seems to be quite a bit bigger than it would appear to be from looking around these forums. I would guess most people don't bother chasing it up and move on. This might help Paradox and Xsolla get a better idea of revenue/sales missed, as I am certain this is the case.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone who's trying to get this hassle sorted too.

Reactions:
I had support contact with Xsolla that took around 3 days, thanks to the weekend. After I provided them with screenshots of the booking from PayPal they seem to have cleared my account for purchase (couldn't test because the paradox shop is down at the moment), but my main problem with the whole Xsolla situation is that my account was blocked in the first place.
A normal PayPal account that can be used on every other platform (gog, steam etc.) should never get blocked without any significant suspicion of fraudulent behavior.
At the moment it seems to block accounts at random 'just for safety' which is completely crazy and handicaps legal customers.

Reactions:
I know it's a while since the Xsolla payment problems were raised in this thread but I want to add my latest experience.
I've just spend several hours trying to buy Cities: Skyline and have now given up. Xsolla gives me an error when I try to use PayPal and the microtransaction checks on my debit card either didn't work or didn't show up within the three hour limit.
So I've now given up and will save my money. I have never had these problems with any other stores or with Steam so I doubt I'll bother trying with Paradox again unless the payment system is sorted out.

Reactions: