• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

borovnica

Recruit
43 Badges
Dec 4, 2023
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
I'm not able to build ships at all. Am I missing something with requirements. Basic Seafaring is researched in Empire skill tree.

Shipyard is built and coast province annexed:

1701730036614.png

Unable to build ships:

1701730115181.png

Any advice?

What use has shipyard now then? And is even worth deliberately settle city next to ocean?
Ocean tiles now have all the province types. Like research, mana node and such.
They are also way better in general in comparison to land tiles, although you can't upgrade them with SPI.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What use has shipyard now then? And is even worth deliberately settle city next to ocean?
Exactly the same as before, more resource income from building a shipyard.

Before the first fisher was the harbor province, which enabled building ships. Shipyard always was just a production building, unlocked by fisheries.

Reactions:
Still not entirely sure why they removed the Ships. It kind of makes you wonder why have an embark penalty now.

From the data the devs collected it must be clear that ships were not used as much as they thought they would. Plus the tree to get the boats was way too tedious and long without any real benefits. I also think that waterplay in general needed a boost as it was clearly underdeveloped. So i think they had a good look at the tree plus the water tiles and made a better system in my opinion.

From my own experience:
- Why use ships when you can use unit-boats just as much + they get XP they can use on land? Xp is wasted on boats especially on maps without almost any water. Boats are too specific a unit in a RMG world.

- Embark penalty never was used by boats in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions:
From the data the devs collected it must be clear that ships were not used as much as they thought they would. Plus the tree to get the boatswas way too tedious and long without any real benefits. I also think that waterplay in general needed a boost as it was clearly underdeveloped. So i think they had a good look at the tree plus the water tiles and made a better system in my opinion.

From my own experience:
- Why use ships when you can use unit-boats just as much + they get XP they can use on land? Xp is wasted on boats especially on maps without almost any water. Boats are too specific a unit in a RMG world.

- Embark penalty never was used by boats in the first place.
Lol, if that is true (the data devs collected part) then it is hilarious.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lol, if that is true (the data devs collected part) then it is hilarious.

The devs of many games collect data about play statistics. It is to improve their game and see which choices never get used and which are popular.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The devs of many games collect data about play statistics. It is to improve their game and see which choices never get used and which are popular.
Yes, that's not the thing I found hilarious. What cracked me up is making a bad system that players don't want to interact with then pointing at statistics using it as proof that players aren't interested.
If Triumph pointed at statistics as a serious reason then ... ooof.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yes, that's not the thing I found hilarious. What cracked me up is making a bad system that players don't want to interact with then pointing at statistics using it as proof that players aren't interested.
If Triumph pointed at statistics as a serious reason then ... ooof.
They also didn't see any way to improve while keeping the ships.

They also didn't see any way to improve while keeping the ships.
Yeap, that is self-evident after the update and a bit weird. What we have now as naval gameplay is simplified land battles with extra steps before participation and little to none benefit. This turns naval gameplay in to some sort of a third wheel, so it is there but it is so uninspired that players will see it as a chore and try to avoid it if possible. New maps and ship models are great tho.

From what I saw the consensus is - "yeah it sucks" and then there is some rationalization why it sucks. (funny enough even devs were tongue in cheek joking about it on stream)
Does anyone actually find it mechanically interesting or engaging?

Wyrd Deofol said:
Wait, they can't?
You are questioning your own post. ;P

• 2Like
Reactions: