Two Galactic Community Ideas: Compliance and Expulsion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

InvisibleBison

Field Marshal
45 Badges
Oct 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I have two ideas that I think would improve the Galactic Community: A system where members can choose whether or not to comply with resolutions, and a system where members can be expelled from the GC. I've divided my suggestion into three parts. Part 1 lays out the details of the resolutions that govern compliance and expulsion, Part 2 explains the details of the resolution compliance system, and Part 3 explains the expulsion process.

1: Resolutions
Two new resolution categories would be introduced: Resolution Compliance and Expulsion Policy.
  • Resolution Compliance
    • Optional Compliance: Countries can choose not to comply with resolutions with no penalties.
    • Encouraged Compliance: Countries which choose not to comply with one or more resolutions suffers a -10 opinion penalty with all GC members per resolution; a country in breach of galactic law suffers a -50 opinion penalty for each sanction it chooses not to comply with. This is the default stance when the GC is created.
    • Mandatory Compliance: In addition to suffering opinion penalties as Encouraged Compliance, countries which choose not to comply with any resolution are in breach of galactic law.
  • Expulsion
    • No expulsion: Countries cannot be expelled from the GC.
    • Criminal Expulsion: Only countries in violation of galactic law can be expelled from the GC. This is the default stance when the GC is created.
    • Full Expulsion: Any country not on the Galactic Council can be expelled from the GC.
    • Council Expulsion: Any country, even those on the Galactic Council, can be expelled from the GC.
2: Resolution Compliance
A country can choose to not comply with any Galactic Community resolution that provides one or more bonuses or penalties. This is done through the addition of a toggle box next to each active resolution in the GC screen; I've constructed a mock-up of what that would look like.
Compliance mockup.jpg
A checkmark indicates compliance with the resolution, an empty box indicates non-compliance with the resolution, and a greyed-out box indicates a resolution chain with no active resolution.
If a country chooses not to comply with a resolution, it gains none of the benefits or penalties associated with the resolution.
A country can choose to comply or not comply with a resolution at any time, though it must wait five years to change its mind.
Additionally, once the GC is formed a new policy branch is available:
  • Galactic Community Compliance
    • Full Compliance: The country complies by default with all resolutions.
    • Limited Compliance: The country complies by default with all resolutions that it supported or abstained from, and does not comply by default with all resolutions it opposed.
    • No Compliance: The country does not comply by default with any resolutions.
3: Expulsion
Depending on the relevant resolutions, some or all members of the GC may be nominated for expulsion. A country can propose expelling an eligible country from the GC if it is rivalling or has negative relations with the nominee. Once nominated, the expulsion resolution proceeds normally, entering the proposal queue and being voted on when it reaches the senate floor. However, the nominated country is treated as having 0 diplomatic weight for the resolution, and if they are a member of the galactic council they cannot veto the resolution.

If the resolution succeeds, the nominated country is immediately removed from the GC, and is not eligible to rejoin for 20 years. The nominated country gains a -100 opinion modifier of all countries that voted for expulsion , which decays at a rate of 1/month.

If the resolution fails, the nominated country remains a member of the GC and suffers no additional penalties. The nominated country gains a +100 opinion modifier of all countries that voted against expulsion , which decays at a rate of 1/month.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
What would be the point of resolutions if anyone could just simply decide that doesn't care about? I don't mind to have an option for Council members to be above the law (in case of sanctions), but in general - no.

Last edited:
Reactions:
What would be the point of resolutions if anyone could just simply decide that doesn't care about? I don't mind to have an option for Council members to be above the law (in case of sanctions), but in general - no.
My thinking was, as it usually is, verisimilitude-based. The Galactic Community doesn't have magic powers; all the changes the resolutions cause happen because people in your country make them happen. Thus, if your government doesn't want to implement a resolution, they're perfectly capable of not doing so. And in the real world plenty of countries fail to comply with various international agreements. I can see how it might make for less satisfying gameplay, but that's why there are penalties to non-compliance.

My thinking was, as it usually is, verisimilitude-based. The Galactic Community doesn't have magic powers; all the changes the resolutions cause happen because people in your country make them happen. Thus, if your government doesn't want to implement a resolution, they're perfectly capable of not doing so. And in the real world plenty of countries fail to comply with various international agreements. I can see how it might make for less satisfying gameplay, but that's why there are penalties to non-compliance.
The thing is that resolutions are a tool not only to boost your empire, but also handicap your enemies. What's materialist/synthetic/machine empire going to lose by refusing a resolution made by spiritualist one? And if they are afraid of sanctions, they can always leave the GC.

Reactions: