Tutorial on How to extract 3D models from Google Earth to get dimensions/proportions of building.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shroomblaze

Major
7 Badges
Mar 8, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
Hello Everyone, I was working on a new building today and realized how much I hate all the guess work in trying to get the dimensions/proportions of a building using stuff like the Google Maps Area Calculator or through pure guess work by looking at a reference photo. Looking at Google Earth I wished I could just extract the model directly from there so I could at least build my model based on those given dimensions and proportions and then just scale it up to to the proper height of the building as that's usually an easy to find number. So I found a video on YouTube explaining how to do just that and I tried it already and it works! It will save you tons of time if you are trying to model something exactly as it is in real life, no more guess work. The models aren't perfect with many weird angles and edges but the foundation is there and you can use reference photos to get your model to look just right.

For those wondering, this does not mean this is a way to extract models and just texture those up and import them. This is a method in which to get a template to build your own model with. Sort of like following a set of blueprints. The models are not good enough imo anyways.

You will need a few things...

A version of 3DS Max between 5.0-9.0, 2009 and 2011. I tried 2011 but the plugin was not working for me. A 2009 version had no problems, the plugin from 3D ripper DX worked fine.

3D Ripper DX - http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

Google Earth Version 6.2.2.6613 - http://filehippo.com/download_google_earth/12140/

Then all you have to do is watch this tutorial on how to extract the model. Hope this helps someone out on their next project. :)