• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Curtis Cook

First Lieutenant
28 Badges
Jun 11, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
I'm having some problems with the forum, so it's possible I won't be able to read any responses to this, but here goes:

I would like to mod the database by switching starting provinces around. In the 1066 scenario Adalbert Goseck starts with provinces 261 and 995. I would like to give those to Magnus Billung and assign Adalbert provinces 258 and 259, which Magnus starts with.

I thought all I had to do was look in the Dynasties file, find the appropriate dynasties, then edit the province numbers. That doesn't look like it will work. The Goseck dynasty is number 101557 and the Billung dynasty is number 656. Neither of them are listed in the file as having any starting provinces.

What am I doing wrong?
There is another thing I doubt you could help with, but I'll mention it anyway. When I start a 1066 scenario and look in the Bridefinder, some of the brides are women who cannot be married.

An example is Mathilda of Canossa, Duchess of Toscana. I'm playing as the Duke of Saxony. Cultural differences aside, she has amazing characteristic numbers and should be a very disireable mate. There is no option to propose marriage to her. Why are unmarriable women listed in the bridefinder?

Is there any way to modify Mathilda's character so that she can be married? I can't find individual characters in the database, just dynasties.
And that brings to mind a third thing. Some characters have symbols on the lower left part of their portrait. The manual says that these symbols are explained in the appendix, but I can find no explanation. My character (Magnus Billung) has what looks like a bleeding heart. Mathilda of Canossa has a cross. Is there a list somewhere of what these mean? If not, could anyone tell me what these two symbols specifically mean?

If you can see this.....

There are two ways to register:
The old one by registering the base game with its CD or forum key here: https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/profile/redeems/new
or
by synchronising your Owend Items with Steam: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...team-account-to-sync-your-owned-items.894506/

The traits are indeed explained in the appendix at the end of the manual.
A few traits were added with Deus Vult which are not (as far as i recal) in the base manual and only mentioned in a text file for DV.
The one on Mathilda though is special if i guess correctly, it's the symbol for the papal controller.

It's the wrong subforum though, as this is only for uploads, just like its name implies...
Not that it really matters though nowadays, admittedly.

Last edited:
Oh wait, CK had no CD or forum key, only for a special version if i recall correctly.
Maybe with the Steam version nowadays...anyway it's only an icon.
There should be no limted forum access in this games' case.

Can't help you with modding , as i can't remember it. Too long ago.

I don't think my problem is limited forum access. I think it's related to the FAQ item from three months ago that said the indexes weren't showing up. I'm getting notations that there are 127 or 144 topics in different sections of the forum, but only the most recent one is visible.

The traits may be explained, but the symbols under the portraits are not. If those symbols do represent traits, then they don't match the symbols attached to traits in Appendix A (Character Traits) or B (Diseases). Thank you for taking a guess on the Papal Controller. Certainly in real life she was the Papal Champion against the Holy Roman Emperor.

Which subforum should I have posted in, as this was the only one that mentioned modding at all? And I see nothing in its name (Scenarios and Modifications) that implies it's only for uploads.

I'm sorry if any of that sounds sharp. I've had nothing but trouble since I began trying to install these games two weeks ago, and my frustration level is pretty high.

I don't think my problem is limited forum access. I think it's related to the FAQ item from three months ago that said the indexes weren't showing up. I'm getting notations that there are 127 or 144 topics in different sections of the forum, but only the most recent one is visible.

That's a problem since the new forum and nothing specifc to you.
It's a problem with old threads and old stickied threads as well. It depends on the date of the last post.
Specifially stupid in old FAQ subforums.
To see old threads click on "Thread Display Options", then on the right on "Set Options".
Page then reloads and shows everything.

I recommend to do this in any old forum here, as important stickied threads might have 'disappeared'.

The traits may be explained, but the symbols under the portraits are not. If those symbols do represent traits, then they don't match the symbols attached to traits in Appendix A (Character Traits) or B (Diseases).

Hmm..they do match, i really don't understand your problem, unless you don't have the official english manual.

Which subforum should I have posted in, as this was the only one that mentioned modding at all? And I see nothing in its name (Scenarios and Modifications) that implies it's only for uploads.

No it doesn't and the name of this one is:
"Scenarios and Modifications upload" , a subforum in "Scenarios and Modifications".
*ahem*
-----
edit: Just realised that since the new forum software the name doesn't display fully anymore, well until "uploa", so the d is missing.

Shitty new shiny and fast, but featureless and buggy, glitchy new forum.
*grumble*

Anyway...
-----
Just look on the top of the page and click on one of the forums on the string/path...and don't use Google for this forum.
Cheers

Manuals:

Attachments

• CrusaderKingsManual.pdf
    4,7 MB · Views: 2.151
  • deus_vult.pdf
    14,6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
The manual(s) you link to are identical to mine. The symbol under Magnus' portrait looks (upon magnification) like a blood drop on a blue field. There is no symbol like that in those manuals.

Thank you for the explanation of 'uploa'. I should have realized that was what you were refering to. I will try to remember Thread Display Options/Set Options. (I have tried it, and it works.)

Until I did that there was no point in clicking on the subforums on the string. Doing so just sent me to a choice of three daughter forums which included this one and two others obvously less suitable. After revealing what else was on the page a better possibility showed itself.

Thank you for your patience.

The manual(s) you link to are identical to mine. The symbol under Magnus' portrait looks (upon magnification) like a blood drop on a blue field. There is no symbol like that in those manuals.

*started CK and looks for a blue field and a blood dro...* OH..

Well that's not really a trait, but a symbol for your dynasty, for being blood related.
It shows on yourself and your relatives. I think it was added with Deus Vult.
Traits would have a tooltip with details when you mouse over them.

The stickied threads on the main forum page for CK should also be interesting with potentially interesting links. Just like in FAQ and everywhere really.

Regarding the forum glitches, well i lost faith that the new forum will get as good as the old one again any time soon, but they say they work on it...

edit:
By the way, in the scenarios folder the files with scenario_titles in their name are probably what you look for...and scenario_characters to edit characters. ;)

Last edited:
edited earlier post. Just in case you missed it.