• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tjitso

Sergeant
19 Badges
Mar 23, 2023
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
I realy miss the traffic routes tool from CS1. With a mod that added numbered values it wat the one tool I used the most. The fact that is provided insight in each road section you clicked on, including pedestrian paths, was very valuable. I would suggest a couple of improvements though:
1. I would like to see where traffic came from, in addition to where it's going.
2. I would like to see a heatmap of traffic density across the city of each type of traffic, in addition to the overall heatmap we currently have.

Also part of this is the current traffic insight which is part of the game, where you can see traffic intensity and road volume for each continuous road. I like that, because it shows information across a whole day, including rush hours and that's really helpful. However, the way it's currently working, it doesn't provide enough insight, as we cannot manually change the length of the contiuous road. And since the roads are determined in an unusual and illogical way, the insights don't provide any useful information as of yet. So I hope that can be changed too.

Anyway, I apreciate all the work you're doing. Keep it up, CS2 is great!

• 15Like
Reactions:
At the very least the option to see where cims are trying to go - a display of the full route - like CS1 had.
Without that its hard to fix traffic issues because you dont know where everyone is trying to go - so you just make roads bigger. This temporarily solves the issues but cant completely fix the issue unless you individually click every car thats backed up in traffic.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Please, when displaying full route, consider the full multi-modal door to door trip. Especially for public transport, but also with the parking mechanic in CS2 it is interesting also for private transport.

• 2Like
Reactions:
There is also related thread in bug reports forum with some more feedback on the feature.

I am unable to post the link due to spam filter. But if you sort by votes, it is quite highly ranked and has the title "No equivalent of Cities: Skylines's "display paths" mode"

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was just trying to learn about this games industry this morning when I realized industry buildings do not have routes views anymore. The only way you can see where vehicles are coming and going is visually, then clicking on the vehicle to see where it's going. A minor annoyance, sure, but I couldn't agree more that the routes view from c:s1 would be greatly beneficial. Even with no improvements.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I believe a route view like in CS1 is not possible because the traffic AI now decides route changes on-the-fly, so you might see a route permanently changing on each node in worst case - not satisfying for my eyes :D However, showing the target area should be possible. The only way to show a real route like in CS1 would be to highlight the shortest path where traffic jams, accidents, etc are simply ignored. So we wouldn't get the real route, only the shortest one as a rough estimation - better than nothing in my opinion.

I think it is perfectly possible, just a bit more dynamic than in CS1. At each moment in the game all traffic routes are calculated and they can be shown. They can even show how many routes are recalculated per time period to avoid a certain road segment, because that too gives insight into how busy that segment is.

Reactions:
Question is more do we need to see all the route that currently PLAN using the particular road? I think in many cases it might be helpful already to display the paths that have passed this segment in the PAST. With that you could identify bottlenecks, popular routes etc.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Past routes don't take into account any changes you've since made to your road network. Current planned routes give you much more information I think. Also, you would have to record or catalog past routes to see that info at a future moment. Also also, how far back in time would you want to see? I don't think that's pratical.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Past routes don't take into account any changes you've since made to your road network. Current planned routes give you much more information I think. Also, you would have to record or catalog past routes to see that info at a future moment. Also also, how far back in time would you want to see? I don't think that's pratical.
From my perspective: Going back 1 max 2 days should be good enough. Currently planned and past routes are 2 different scenarios. The first looks is quite specific to the time you check this information (rush hour, midnight etc). The other is a holistic view of the road usage and the path people took to get there.
I'd prefere to toggle between one or the other.

Apparently I was mistaken in my last post in this thread where I said the only way to view routes was to click on the vehicles directly. I made a bug report for what I thought was a bug involving the new warehouses and someone from QA taught me about the map pin icon in the info panel.

When you click on the map pin icon it changes the panel to display additional information, from there you can view the vehicles destinations etc. Now, it's not as informative, pretty, or user friendly as C:S1 routes view, but a rudimentary thing exists!

Apparently I was mistaken in my last post in this thread where I said the only way to view routes was to click on the vehicles directly. I made a bug report for what I thought was a bug involving the new warehouses and someone from QA taught me about the map pin icon in the info panel.

When you click on the map pin icon it changes the panel to display additional information, from there you can view the vehicles destinations etc. Now, it's not as informative, pretty, or user friendly as C:S1 routes view, but a rudimentary thing exists!
I'm sorry, but what map pin icon?

I'd also love to have this option again, like in CS1. I'm currently struggling a lot with designing a network because:
a) I have no real idea where people are coming from and trying to go, jams just pop up seemingly randomly
b) Traffic for some reason seems to always amass on roads that are parallel to large arterials, with everyone deciding that rather than the nice 6-lane road, they absolutely positively MUST use this one turning lane on a two-lane asymmetric road one block over

I'm sorry, but what map pin icon?
I was referring to map pin in the bottom left of a building window.
But, I was mistaken, I must not have been paying attention to what I was doing with the advice I received in my bug report.
I got myself into the alternate building window for specialized industry where you can see what their vehicles are doing.
But that's just the normal one.

I am still struggling with 1 million cars that are only queueing at the first turning on an empty 8-lane avenue!!!

that arterial-collector-local is not working at all.
I don't know why all the channels on YouTube still hype on this road hierarchy thing.
Come on, it is not true!

I am still struggling with 1 million cars that are only queueing at the first turning on an empty 8-lane avenue!!!

that arterial-collector-local is not working at all.
I don't know why all the channels on YouTube still hype on this road hierarchy thing.
Come on, it is not true!
It does work if applied correctly. I use it all the time and I always have good traffic flow. THat's in CS1 though. I don't have much experience in CS2 and my first city is kind of a mess.