• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greg45 - Relations between states are based on the actions of both parties, so if Denmark or France goes on an annexation spree your relations with them will turn hostile regardless of what you do. Also if another nation has a CB on you (or you on them), relations will drop inexorably, even if they're your vassals and allies and have been for decades. Does the Papal States get shield on Romagna & Marche?

Just want to say how much I like this AAR - good writing, great use of pictures and the gameplay's not to shabby either. Just watch out for the upcoming inheritance events - Milan to Austria & Naples to Aragon.

Farquharson - No, I am not feeling guilty about conquering Papal States :) Besides, they still get to live... just have to shell out a few bucks my way. But I think to the people of the era, where religion is still such an important thing, taking on the Pope would have quite an affect. I tried to imagine this, and that's why I created a Marca.

Zenek K - That's right!!! He was running right at me, and I had no other choice... :D

The Gonzo - So far, no plans yet. Venice has a rather mediocre alliance, but our side needs some time to strengthen up. I bet Austria would love to see me and Venice at war, and just come in to take the spoils. But Venice's number is coming up... eventually :)

Merrick - Yea, I realized that too, especially after Denmark conquers small states, and our relations are -200 due to that. I think it's a nifty feature. As to Pope, I am almost convinced I took one of his cores, as he has a permanent Casus Beli against me, but I don't want to load the game from the Papal States perspective, as I am trying to keep the info well confined only to what Genoa would know. But it's a good guess.

Ironically, the relations between Pope and me took a huge turn for the better, and they are doing much better now. You'll read about it in the next update.

A quiestion, here. Milan is going to Austria, but if I take/annex it first, does it still go to Austria? Or will it then stay in my care?

I think it's reasonable to check CBs by loading as other countries. Part of the point of CBs is that they are your land claims that most other countries recognize, since they influence badboy, so it should be something Genoa would be aware of.

And since Milan has to exist for their inheritance event to fire (they actually choose between Austria, France, or independence, which then fires corresponding events for Austria or France) annexing them will stop it sure enough.

I agree with Sindai about loading as other countries to check cores, but of course it would be much better if you could do this from your own country, eg on the diplomacy map or something. The point is that countries obviously didn't keep it secret what territories they considered rightfully theirs, but I understand your reluctance to see all the other stuff you see when you load as another country - a lot of that might well be more "secret" I suppose.

BTW I confess I loaded as the Pope during my Provence game for this very reason, and I can tell you that the Papal States does have two cores other than Roma (in EEP anyway). Your faithful spy network reports that one of them begins with "R" and the other begins with "M"... ;)

Last edited:
Historical Commentary - Understanding the Italic Alliance
* An excerpt from "Comparative Study" by Jurik von Holsern found at University of Cologne *

Genoa_Shield.gif

Sire,

To understand the Italic Alliance one must think in abstract terms. It started as a military union of nations seeking mutual protection, huddled around the Pope and his divine right to rule the world. As such, it became a very effective force to stop Austrian desire to seek fortunes in Italy. Only the Austrians and the French had the means of intervening into these lands, and the French were far too busy with their own culture sphere and the influence of England and Castile. The Austrians, seeing a unified Italy, shifted their attention to the east. The Italic Alliance was a success.

But what is an agreement founded on a clear statement of intent - which an alliance clearly stands for - is not necessarily so for the Italians, whose cultural ties and common past form stronger bonds than those written on paper. Much like in the Francophone Europe, Italy is a nest of migrant trends. It is not uncommon to find Tuscans living in Lombardy, or to see Siena ruled by someone born in Naples. Such distinctions bear little importance compared to the benefit mixing produces. Even the bitter rivals of Genoa and Venice are not immune to this system. At this time, Venice's ruling council has more people born in Genoa on it than of any other Italian nation. One of the more notable Genoese admirals - Piso - was born in Venice. Those are the bonds that form the true Italic Alliance, even if its conception was officially started by the Pope when He made the written pact.

If the above holds true, than one must remember that should the alliance on paper expire, and the Italian nations are no longer bound by any agreement to help one another, the spirit of the Italic Alliance still lives. The possibility of it re-signing a written defense pact is always there, even if in the meantime Siena attacks Genoa. The official face of the Alliance will always shift, but the bonds that make it possible to ensure that it never really dies.

Take the period between 1437 and 1446, for example. The original Italic Alliance. It was a unified front of the Papal States, Siena, Mantua, Lombardy and Genoa. Each nation felt relatively safe. But inside, each nation had distinctly different interests, which were pulling the Alliance into different directions. Lombardy, after a failed attempt to sack Genoa, was more and more interested in Austria. Given time, it would most likely declare war upon its Germanic neighbor. The rest of the Alliance found this to be a dangerous act, and dissuaded Lombardy as much as they could. Still, was it not for Genoese attack on Papal States in 1447, Lombardy would most likely drag the Italian nations into the war with the Habsburgs and their allies. Venice, which suffered much from Austria and which was not invited into the Italic Alliance due to subversive work of Genoa, would surely see to it. It was its best hope for eventual stability in the region.

Genoa, on the other hands, saw very little potential gain in a war on Austria. How could they not? Deluding themselves that they could perhaps capture some poor Alpine state and hold it long enough to vassalize it was surely foolish. Genoa could only win money, and only if the victory was decisive. That would not cover the costs of the war. Instead, Genoa had its eyes set on the islands of the Mediterranean, and was doing everything in its power to persuade the Pope that it was time to move that way.

The Papal States created the Italic Alliance, and as such, they felt the sense of ownership of it. This was part of the reason why the Pope Eugenius IV took offense when Genoa attempted to resign the Alliance as its leader in 1447. Meanwhile, the Papal States knew that the Holy Roman Empire had enough religious authority to shut down Rome completely one day. It was necessary to put Italy under Papal rule, to create a power base and a buffer zone for the future. It was for this reason that Naples was attacked twice, although both attacks ended in pointless peace settlements that never exploited the desperate situation Naples found itself in. Strategically and politically, the attacks on Naples - while victorious - were huge failures.

Mantua was a proud nation that believed itself the patron of the arts. It had the strongest ties to Venice of all the Italian nations, and it was the path for Papal trade with that port. Mantua also had a strong army, and while it was eager to join any war in Italy, it had no intention of seeing its great position threatened by anyone from the outside. Consequently, Lombard and Genoese ambitions to expand outwards were met with lack of any interest at all.

And finally, Siena. While posing as a separate nation, Siena was really nothing more than a puppet of the Pope. It resigned the Alliance in 1447 before the Pope declined it, and as such it was terrified that its hasty decision would bring wrath of God upon their shores. They simply never considered that the Pope would decline. In that aspect, the Sienans were rather clueless. And the extent of their expansionistic ambitions was limited to plotting ways on how to relieve Genoa of Tuscany.

And yet among this internal political turmoil, the Italic Alliance stood united in their military ways. It had to. Other than Austria, there were no potential invaders, but foreign interests would soon devour each Italian nation, if the civilized world sensed that the region was ripe for conquest.

And when the initial Alliance treaty expired, and when Genoa drafted a new one and then subsequently attacked the Papal States, no one in Italy thought that this would be the end of the Italic Alliance. It would simply go through a few internal wars, that's all. The borders of nations would be probably reshaped, but sooner or later the Italian tribes would unite again under a common piece of paper. It's just a matter of time. Because in Italy, the ties are already made. It is the signatures on different parchments that are always late.

Chapter 3 - The Aquisition of Wealth

Genoa_Shield.gif

Synopsis of Previous Events: It is the onset of the 15th century and Genoa - a small nation of Italian traders and merchants with a long and influential reach - is making its first steps towards an identity as a European nation of note. Despite a brief stumble due to a terrible ruler, it expands its territory by conquering nearby Italian nations of Emilia and Toscana, and then joins the Italic Alliance to escape retribution. When the alliance is renegotiated, Genoa emerges as its leader, which puts it in a direct conflict with the Pope. With its Italian allies, it strikes a pre-emptive blow against Rome, and when the situation escalates into a full fledged war, it is the Pearl of Liguria itself that takes lands away from His Holliness Eugenius IV and vassalizes the Christian capital of the world.

Now the main land-holder of northern Italy, Genoa is still engaged in local Italian politics, all the while perfecting the trade reach of its merchant princes. The future looks bright, and the trade winds are blowing Liguria's way.

1450 - Stability returns promptly to the Italian peninsula, and with the Pope humbled, the nations now look to Genoa for leadership. The merchants of Liguria usher another era of expanded trade, making their nation undesirable for conquest by a web of complex and carefully maintained royal marriages. Wars consume western Europe, with France in constant conflict with the smaller Francophone nations that get annexed one by one.

Austria renegotiates its alliance with small but powerful neighboring Germanic nations, and forms an upgraded version of its previous alliance - the Habsburg Front. Immediately upon its conception, the Front celebrates its existence by ambushing Hungary and its allies. But a more important war breaks out in the Iberian Peninsula. There, breaking its ancient alliance are Portugal and Castile, and the latter assaults the Portugese, dragging its ally - Aragon - into the conflict. This development is met with a celebration in Liguria. After all, it is the Iberians that are colonizing the New World, scrupulously keeping Genoa from her overseas destiny. The war in Iberia will only mean a hurdle to colonization... at least for a while. In September, Pietro de Campofregoso takes over as Dodge.

1451-1452 - Peace is signed in Europe almost too fast for Genoa's taste. The Hungarians yield only Presburg and 9 ducats, and Portugal manages to outwit its adversaries by signing separate peace with Aragon and then Castile that leave the aggressors with a lousy prize of 17 coins. What's worse, the Iberian War didn't seem to slow down any colonizing, for the trade caravans from Lisbon, Madrid and Barcelona are leaving in endless processions that seem to have no beginning and no end.

Up north, Denmark trashes Sweden back into submission, making it return all the provinces pillaged in the last war. On its southern border, Denmark has already annexed three Germanic provinces, including the Centre of Trade in Mecklemburg... a move that will now cast it into perpetual wars with the nations of central Europe.

1453-1454 - For the first time in several centuries, a foreign power firmly sets its hands in Italy. Aragon annexes its vassal Napoli. The feelings among the local nations are mixed, but Genoa maintains good relations with both Aragon and Castile. The fact that this annexation gives Aragon an even stronger hold on the central Mediterranean is not overlooked, and the Ligurian hearts mutter longingly about the wasted chances of attacking Aragon during the last decades. But they weren't ready then. And they are not ready now.

Genoa08.jpg
[SIZE=-1]Castello di Monti - one of the castles in Liguria
belonging to the de Campofregoso noble family
[/SIZE]​

1455 - Siena is forgiven for abandoning its allies during the last war in Italy, and it is once again allowed to join the Italic Alliance. It begins a military buildup for no apparent reason, while the rest of the alliance demilitarizes in favor of improved economy.

1456-1460 - Castile, Aragon and Portugal once again make amends, and much to the annoyance of its neighbors, form another pact. This time, it is the Iberian Alliance, and with this pact the mysteries of the far away lands are once again held in the palms of the privileged few and locked away from the prying eyes of European nations. In retaliation, France sweeps its vast armies across the southern border, advancing onto the capital of Aragon itself. The Iberian Alliance has little time to prepare, and its scattered troops mobilize hastily to meet the enemy in the Pyrenee mountains. At home, Dodge Lodovico De Campofregoso takes over the state of Liguria, on May 12, 1458.

Superior in numbers, if not in technology, the French troops expect a decisive victory, but fall prey to better tactics of the Iberian allies. Each battle seems to go against France, even when it comes against small Spanish battalions. Each move seems poorly planned, dividing its cohorts at the precise time when there is a need for unification. After two years, the stalemate at the border only favors the Iberians, who use this time to supplement their armies with more men. And while Castile and its friends are relatively secure on their piece of land, it is only a matter of time till France succumbs to separationist movements of its newly annexed provinces. Precisely two years after crossing the Aragonese border, France sues for peace, and gets it on the obligation to pay small reparations and loss of honor. No one trusts France anymore. France seems to care even less.

1461-1462 - On the eastern horizon, the Turkish Menace is marching in. Venice and its Balkan allies seem next on the menu, but with each war initiated by this Islamic Plague a strange worry that there is no stopping of the Sunnis sets upon Genoa. The joy of Venice possibly loosing lands to the Ottomans is mixed with the encroaching danger to Liguria itself. But surely... plenty of time remains, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, the vassalized Rome becomes more and more bitter of its Ligurian masters. It is only a matter of time till its pursues its own course, unless a diplomatic solution is found to befriend the proud state. Using the most eloquent and persuasive means found in the diplomatic repertoire - money - Dodge Lodovico de Campofregoso makes a stroke of a genius move, and on a chilly spring morning in 1462, a state delegation arrives to the gates of Vatican with a gift of historic proportions. When the coffers open and the gold reflects the light of four hundred candles in the regal antechamber, the Pope's heart melts, and more friendly thoughts enter his mind. The relations between Genoa and the Papal States are finally amended, and the two nations warm up. Precisely a month later, the vassalized Rome joins the Italic Alliance, and its future at Genoa's side is preserved.

1463 - The unthinkable happens! Genoa gains control of the Venice market! By the end of that year, the entire western, central and southern Mediterranean is in Ligurian control, and four centres of trade (Liguria, Veneto, Tago and Alexandria) show Genoese dominance. As if an omen to cement prosperity, Dodge Prospero Adorno is elected by the General Assembly - a member of the rival family to de Campofregoso, and one equally as rich.

1464-1471 - One by one, Venice's allies fall before the Turks. The Knights, Serbia and Bosnia are annexed, while Cyprus is barely holding on. Up north, Pskov is finally conquered, ending its Cinderella story. It is annexed by Novgorod that will soon see its own decline at the hands of the rising Muscowy.

In 1470, a in a move that stuns the entire trading world, Genoa invites Venice into the Mediterranean Trade Alliance. Venice accepts. The entire world wonders in astonishment, and rumors that Genoa is bowing to the pressure from Venice start circulating. Only the Ligurian merchants know better. Venice was about to embargo Genoa due to its rise in Veneto, and this pact keeps alive the Ligurian interests in the heartland of the bitter enemy. In a few years, the move proves to be much more profitable for Genoa than Venice, as anticipated.

1472 - Another exceptional year! In a grand unveiling that sees attendance of diplomats from every influential country, a refinery is opened on the vineyards of Emilia. Mass produced wine seems to lose none of its quality, and the profits from the province soar. This is a massive step for Genoa in its quest for trading supremacy. No one in the world has anything similar. There is a celebration in Liguria.

1473-1478 - Genoa controls trade in the entire Mediterranean! All five centres of trade (the wine and iron of Liguria, the grain and fish of Veneto, the exotic New World goods of Tago, the chinaware and ivory of Alexandria, and the spices and wool of Thrace) are now crowned with Genoese merchants! The Mediterranean Trade Alliance is declared an astounding success, as it was the catalyst for the rise of Ligurian commerce interests. No one dares to leave the trade alliance now. Either stay with Genoa, or perish.

Castile renames itself to the Kingdom of Spain, and soon takes Aragon as its vassal. Shortly after, Isabely Fernando assumes the throne of the new kingdom, marking herself as the most talented and influential monarch of all times. Venice, left alone against the Turks, digs deeply into its bottomless coffers and miraculously buys itself peace, without loosing ground. Genoa reacts with mixed feelings.

1479-1484 - A period that continued the stability at home. Genoa's allies are once in a while treated to small gifts, while the foreign nations have all nearly warmed up to this nation. The international relations with the civilized world are on a good path, if not yet fully amended from the "sins" of the past. Money is spent on international relations. Good Government Policies and Internal Trace Ordinance in Corsica boost local economy, while in 1478 Battista de Campofregoso takes over as Dodge, ending the reign of the well remembered Prospero Adorno. In 1483, he is succeeded by Giano de Campofregoso. And yet the hearts of Liguria are still veiled in sorrow. Despite taking monetary steps to improve relations with Portugal to the best possible, repeated diplomatic inquiries are rejected. The very dear friend of Genoa - Portugal - will not share its explorations. It finally becomes evident to the ambitious Italians that if they are to partake in the lands far beyond, they will need to discover them themselves. Yet with no explorers and no maps, the choices are painfully few...

Genoa09.jpg
[SIZE=-1]Giano de Campofregoso[/SIZE]​

1485 - In the spring of this year, Tunesia and Algeria declare war on Fez. Sailing past the sea battlefields is the Genoese fleet with its clear direction - west. In May, the fleet reaches the shores of Fez's province of Tangiers, and from below its decks, Italian soldiers pour out onto the African soil. Genoa declares war upon Fez! If the Iberian clique won't share access to the New World, Genoa will make its own destiny, by force! Tangiers will be conquered and used as a platform for expeditions into the unknown.

1486 - The provinces of Tangiers and Fez fall to the combined attacks of Genoa and Algieria, although the two nations are not working in league. On January 14th, the capital of Fez falls, and to save itself from being overrun, Fez signs a deal with Genoa, giving up its rights to Tangiers. The first Italian province in Africa is set. The maps found in the library of Fez reveal little, but they do speak of one mysterious land - Tassaret. It lies on the west African coast, not too far from Fez, and just by the Spanish Canary Islands. It is empty and waiting for Genoa. It's not much, but it's a start. And to someone cut off from the great expansion for almost a hundred years, it is a gift from God. The first settlers are sent.

1487-1488 - The first settler expeditions to Tassaret begin, and soon a trading post is established, adding Genoa to the colonial world, even if barely so. So little, and yet so much. Spain barely notices this new dot on the map, but to Genoa, it means the world. What's more, a newly discovered African nation of Songhai decides to trade with Liguria! There are chinaware and spices in Songhai, and now the Ligurian merchants for the first time will get their hands on those goods. War is good for business.

At home, Gian Galeazzo is now the Dodge of Genoa (Jan 17, 1488). France absorbs Brittany, and Islam marches in. Hungary and Lithuania are attacked by Ottoman Empire. Can the Turks be stopped? Europe shakes in terror.

1489 - Liguria Centre of Trade surpasses Veneto in overall value! Genoa throws a state gala, and extra day's pay is distributed to all the sailors. The sun shines bright on the shores of Liguria.

1490 - A year to remember. The Kingdom of Spain annexes Aragon, and now the multifaceted flag of the one-time Castilians flies on the southern border of the Italic Alliance. Yet at home, different news prevail. Lombardia is annexed by Genoa! Everyone in Europe suddenly turns their eyes towards the Alps...

Just a few years after taking Tangiers from the Sunnis of Fez, Lombardia - the very nation that once dictated the destiny of Genoa - is now part of Liguria itself. Along with the extremely rich province of Lombardy there comes Piemonte - one of Milan's possessions. It is an event that changes everything, for suddenly Genoa appears on everyone's map. Suddenly, it is no longer a small Italian state that monopolized trade. It has entered the big leagues now, and the big league rules apply. And here is where the problem lies.

Genoa now borders directly with Austria and France. There are no more buffer zones, and while the Italic Alliance is very much alive, it now looks to Genoa for strength. Both France and Austria had vested interest in the rich province of Lombardy, and they will not soon forget this. Both Austria and France have armies that could be in Liguria within weeks. And while Austria seems to get over the potential loss quickly, France takes offense. Irreparable hatred begins. It will only be a matter of time now, no doubt, before Genoa and France clash. For now, however, both Austria and France have other wars to worry about. Thank God.

Genoa10.jpg
[SIZE=-1]Genoa at the end of 1499, with Rome as a vassal
Not shown is the trade post of Tassaret
[/SIZE]​

1491-1496 - Abroad, the Golden Horde - after decades of rebellions and unrest - is crumbling. Small states declare independence. It is a fortunate wind for Genoa, and the Ligurian merchants take advantage of it... cementing a number of marriages and military pacts, and securing the safety of Kaffa and Kerch for as long as they can. Now, with the small weak states around the Black Sea, there is hope for Genoa's possessions there. And Georgia is still a friend. At home, an Exceptional Year brings a sudden gift of 100 ducats and -5% inflation... the latter hardly needed at all, but welcome as a sign of prosperity.

In a miracle from Heavens itself, the Ottoman Empire finally runs into a wall, and looses its first war. Disbelief takes everyone's breath away. Hungary and Lithuania do not take much in victory, but they hold firm and save the very Europe itself. Prayers of thanks erupt everywhere, and pilgrimages to Rome pass through Liguria. God did not abandon its children.

1497 - And God does not stop there. In 1497 the Ottoman Empire finally shakes at its seams, and rebellions spring in most provinces. Soon, the entire country is at civil war, and one by one, its provinces declare independence. Ragusa, Bosnia, Albania, Siebenburgen... the list only starts there. Antalya and Taurus defect to Dulkadir. But here, good news stop. The rich, populous, vineyard-woven province of Smyrna defects to Venice! Why Venice, of all devil's creations!?

1498-1499 - The sudden prosperity of Venice does not end there. It has recently received Cyprus as its possession, and while still not able to boast of a trade reach of Genoa, it is now in direct competition with Liguria in several centres of trade. What's more, it manages to get itself into a war with the Habsburg Front, and just as the Austrians and their friends casually stroll to the shores of Veneto to teach it yet another lesson, they are met with shock. A massive, well-trained army of Venice meets them and smashes their forces into smithereens. From then on, Venice marches through Austria, pillaging nearly every province, and exacting revenge for the years of oppression. Little pockets of Habsburg resistance are swept away, and only by some miracle the Istria Regiment of the Austrian Army manages to besiege Venice, and White Peace is signed. Austria is left with a lesson to remember, and Venice is definitely back.

On January 1st 1499, the first Francophone Dodge sits at the head of Liguria - Philippe de Ravenstein - reminding of the French interests that are creeping in through Milan. Genoa now has control of 6 centres of trade (Liguria, Veneto, Tago, Alexandria, Thrace, Novgorod), and its treasury expands with each year. Its trade income nearly equals that of its taxation revenue, and the inflation is at a flat zero. The Italic Alliance has the highest military technology in the known world, and its infrastructure and trade are studied by other nations. It is places like Genoa, Verona, Milan, Venice, Rome and Florence that are at the forefront of art, philosophy, learning, medicine and trade. The Italian peninsula is the envy of the world.

And yet, within the splendid villas of Genoa dark thoughts and broken hearts dwell. Italic Alliance is not a military power, and eventually France and Austria and perhaps even Spain will ponder claims to this paradise. And it is Spain and Portugal that are colonizing the New World, and with time, they are destined to take over as the leaders of the civilized world. After almost a century, Genoa is still kept away from the uncharted lands, and nothing has changed. What's worse, it was just discovered that the trading post in Tassaret - while a pride and joy - is unsuitable for proper colonization. The climate won't allow it. The heartbreak continues. The Canary Islands, however, just off the shore of Tassaret, already have a nice city, and would make a splendid platform to support Tangiers in Genoa's future expeditions abroad. But they are already claimed by the Spanish. Surely, there is no way to change that. Or is there...?

With a long and thoughtful look, Genoa slowly sets its sights on Spain...

Genoa11.jpg
[SIZE=-1]Genoa in control of the Mediterranean!
The reach of Genoa's trade empire where market dominance is obtained.
Note the provinces of Romagna and Marche wrested from the control of
Venice. Not shown are the African provinces belonging to the Tago and
Liguria centres of trade.
[/SIZE]​

Last edited:
It's a great update!! It took me a while to read it... :) Your intermissions are superb. They portray background of your story in a splendid way.

You described 50 years of glory of Genoa indeed. So far you have achieved one of your goals - monopoles in the Mediterranean. Now it's time to expand further. :D Congrats on your first colony. I have a feeling it's the first of many. Bad luck with Venice, but you'll find other countries to fight. :) However, it seems that you won't forget about them...

Greg45 said:
Genoa slowly sets its sights on Spain...
So you chose your next victim. Remember to capture their capital to gain their knowledge of the world. It's the goal of this war, isn't it?

Greg45 said:
War is good for business.
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #34. ;)

Spain may not have explored much this early - if you're unlucky, all you'll get is endless maps of the mid-atlantic... Still, Portugal's hyperactive explorers have generally circumnavigated the world by now, so if they uphold their alliance, you can probably get some decent maps, and expand your trading empire overseas.

Very nicely written AAR, I'll be keeping an eye on Genoa... ;)

:rofl: :rofl:

Brilliant, just brilliant!!

;) I like the use of maps and I might take some ideas from it if you don't mind. And the ways that the AARs is making is great!!

As for me, once, last time, I played the Genoa, I expanded the borders to reach trade borders of Genova.

Joe (Sapphire)

Well, I must admit, after writing the last update, I was privately a bit affraid that it was either too long or not focused enough, and I would bore you - readers - to tears :) But I fully appreciate the words of encouragement. They are a great reward, and you can bank on this AAR continuing... even if not as fast as I would like.

Zenek K. wrote:
So you chose your next victim. Remember to capture their capital to gain their knowledge of the world. It's the goal of this war, isn't it?

Yes, the next victim is chosen, but careful preparation needs to be undertaken first. I don't think I am ready to challenge Spain to a point of capturing their capital... they are far too strong, and they have Portugal to help them out. In addition, as soon as I go to war, I can count on either France or Austria taking advantage of my state, and good-bye Lombardia. But Spain definitely shines brightly on the menu :) I haven't played past the recent update yet, so I can't even give hints here. But off we go to the next chapter!

4th of Eleven wrote:
Spain may not have explored much this early - if you're unlucky, all you'll get is endless maps of the mid-atlantic... Still, Portugal's hyperactive explorers have generally circumnavigated the world by now, so if they uphold their alliance, you can probably get some decent maps, and expand your trading empire overseas.

That's not a bad idea... Portugal. Certainly easier to manage than Spain at this time, except that their alliance with Spain will mean that some 80,000 Spanish troops would show up on the double to defend Tago. But if I engaged Spain in another place...
Uff, a war with an entire Iberian Alliance may be still beyond Genoa. We are but peaceful merchants :) But it's amazing what you can buy with money.
Oh, and Portugal is at +200 towards me... has been for some 10 years, and they won't share one single piece of information. It's probably the diplomacy rating of my monarchs, but I am not sure if I can count on anything better in the future.

Sapphire
As for me, once, last time, I played the Genoa, I expanded the borders to reach trade borders of Genova.

Wow.I'll be happy if I just run everyone's wallets :) But you never know.

Greg45 said:
Oh, and Portugal is at +200 towards me... has been for some 10 years, and they won't share one single piece of information. It's probably the diplomacy rating of my monarchs, but I am not sure if I can count on anything better in the future.
Probably they don't agree to share explorations, because you have less provinces unknown to them than they have provinces that you have no knowledge of. Furthermore, the greatest colonial nations aren't willing to share their explorations.

Greg45 said:
It might help if you have something to offer in return. Perhaps you could use your Black Sea provinces as a platform to conquer the capital of one of the new nations that are arising with the crumbling of the Horde? It might give you maps of the vastness of the Asian interior, which the Portuguese might find interesting.

On the other hand, the Portuguese probably know about so many provinces unknown to you that you'll never have enough to offer in return. It might be a better bet to wait until some small, hapless nation declares independence from Spain and then quickly grab them and their maps before the Spanish have time to take them back. Naples, maybe? Or Navarra, which has a habit (in my games, at least) of declaring independence every now and then.

This is an amazingly well-written AAR! You've got me wanting to play Genoa next... :)

Historical Commentary - The Impact of Christopher Columbus
* By Guy Gascoigne, from "The Age of Discovery" *

Genoa_Shield.gif

Cristoforo Colombo was born in Genoa in 1451. He was the eldest son of a respectable family, with his father - Domenico Colombo - a wool weaver involved in local politics, and his mother - Suzanna Fontanarossa - a daughter of a wool weaver. His family moved to Savona, west of Genoa, in 1470, and the young Christopher attended school there. His education, however, remained at rudimentary level, due to the limited means of his parents, and as expected, he was taking his first steps in the family business of wool weaving, destined by the social fates to follow in the family footsteps. Yet this was the age of discovery, and soon, like so many men in a large sea port, the young Christopher began a life of seafaring in his early teens.

Serving as a messenger, ship’s boy, common sailor, and - as rumors carry - even a privateer, the young Italian earned his sea legs in the Mediterranean, and after being hired as a sailor for a profitable voyage bound for Chios in the Aegean Sea, he gained economic independence from his family. It is the greatest irony, perhaps, that the year that Christopher spent in Chios would be the closest he would ever get to India...

Genoa12.jpg
[SIZE=-1]The portrait of Christopher Columbus,
painted thirteen years after his death by Sebastiano del Piombo
[/SIZE]​

Ah, Genoa. The great nest of trade, splendor and money on the Italian coast. The ruler of the Mediterranean sea and the great aspirer for the New World. If they knew what they had in Christopher then, how different the world would be now! But how cruelly fate dealt Genoa its hand. In 1476, Christopher was hired for a Genoese commercial expedition of five ships bound for England... his first voyage to the Atlantic. Off the Cape of St. Vincent, the expedition came under attack by French privateers, and Christopher's ship was burnt down. He swam six miles to shore of Port of Lagos and then made his way to Lisbon, to a large Genoese community of merchants and shipbuilders. He was twenty five years old.

Lisbon enchanted Christopher, and soon it won his heart. It was a heaven for explorers, entrepreneurs and adventurers, and it was there that Christopher studied geography, navigation and map making. It was there that he received his first commission outside of Genoa, sailing for Italian merchants to Ultima Thule, then believed to be the end of the world. It was there that he married Felipa Perestrello e Moniz, and the winds of his life were now forever drawn to Iberia.

But like all modern men of the era, Christopher Columbus knew that the Earth was round. Observing maritime currents led him to believe that by sailing little more than 3000 miles west, he could circumvent the globe and arrive to the "Enterprise of the Indies." A plan was drawn... a plan for another great expedition. A search for patronage begun.

If there was someone desperately looking for an explorer, it was Christopher's home nation of Genoa. Yet in an irony that would lock the Italians for many years away from the riches of the New World, this option was never considered. King Jao II of Portugal was approached instead, but Christopher was treated as a "visionary" and his proposal was denied in 1484. France and England sent a similar responses. His luck in Spain fared no better, and only after prolonged years of anguish did the solution finally arrive. After personal interventions of people of influence, the Spanish Queen Isabella II agreed. The rest, as they say, is history. That Christopher Columbus never reached India is hardly of consequence. His discovery of America sealed the fates of Europe and the world.

Genoa13.jpg
[SIZE=-1]Christopher Columbus petitioning
with Spanish Queen Isabella II
[/SIZE]​

That Colombus never approached Genoa with his proposal is the singlemost painful heartbreak for the Italians. They were ready for him, not only in spirit but in deed. There was money for great ships, great sailors and entrepreneurs, and a score of merchants and clerks available to complete his commercial empire. Genoa has been shut off from the exploration of the New World by Portugal and Spain, and was more than eager to reverse their fortunes at any cost. It was waiting for an explorer, but its deep Mediterranean position made most potential candidates - like Christopher Columbus - consider ports nearer to the Atlantic. Was it Genoa he asked, he would have voyaged much sooner. But Christopher Coumbus sailed under the flag of Spain.

To a nation with such ambition, the irony cannot strike with more pain. It was their son, their sailor, bred from the Italian traditions and given a chance at sea life by the ports of Liguria. They enticed him, they raised him and they showed him the possibility of the world beyond. And when the time came, it was not they who prospered. The greatest explorer in the history of the world made Spain great at the very expense of the nation who wanted it most... the nation that gave him birth, that gave him the sea.

O figlio di Liguria,
cosa hai fatto...
Che venticelli
ti hanno portato
a costa d'Iberia
a le parti di Spagna
mentre i cuori di tua gente
piangono, piangono.

O figlio di Liguria,
cosa hai fatto...

Oh Son of Liguria,
what have you done...
What winds of fate
have swept your home
to the Iberian coast
and the Spanish parts,
While your nation weeps
and mends its hearts.

Oh Son of Liguria,
what have you done...​

Interested in Christopher Columbus and his times? Try these:
Columbus' navigation tools, ships, knowledge and stats.
Columbus' journal of his most famous voyage!
The culinary times of Christopher Columbus.
Detailed and very interesting biography.
Short biography.

Last edited:
Hmmm. What would be really interesting, of course, would be to rewrite some events files as if Mr Columbus did actually get patronage from Genoa. That would solve your "Portugal won't give me any maps" problem pretty quickly! ;)