• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mim1983

Corporal
46 Badges
Nov 24, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Hello,

So I have asked this question here before - is there any guide which would explain to me when and under what circumstances the title can get into your realm or leave it as the result of succession?

Last time I was told that it all depends on timing - if a character is already your vassal and he or she inherits the title which is outside your realm, this title should get into your realm. At least that's what I understood.

So now - if anybody could explain to me what happened:

I'm a king of Armenia Minor. I invited to my court a hier to one of counties witin the Bizantine Empire and granted him a barony within my realm. Obviously, he became my vassal with landed title.

How suprised I was when after death of the Bizantine count, my vassal took the county and suddenly became vassal of the Bizantine Empire! Not only did I not get the new county, but I have also lost my barony which passed out of my realm!

To make it more funny - I have high crown authority in my kingdom, which says that no titles can pass out of my realm through inheritance. Bizatine Empire has the autonomous vassals.

The only thing that comes to my mind is the fact that my vassal was a baron in my realm and he inherited a county in Bizatine Empire, which is a higher feudal title... but I simply don't know if it works that way...

Sometimes I fell that I just cannot plan anything in this game, because I never know what may happen...

If the new title is higher they will switch realms. I'd suspect as you said that the barony level is ignored for succession, but that doesn't seem right. I'd need to see the actual succession and run some tests to confirm.

If the new title is of the same rank and lower the vassal will not switch realms.

Yes I expect it's because the count title is higher rank, but also because your vassal already had the barony .... The barony would stay in your realm if a random count outside was next in line to inherit it. I think anyway lol.

Also the succesion laws with the various CA levels can get tricky as often they can be de jure empire based. I believe you can have high crown in Armenia. But if it's still de jure Byzantine empire , the empires crown laws trump yours ? I think that's how it works.

for pure inheritance, there are 2 things to consider: timing and rank.

if a vassel would inherit something of equal or lower rank than his current title, he would remain your vassel. he would have more land which would(through him) now also belong to you. the sme way the other way around - if a title within your real would be inherited by someone who already has a title of equal or higher rank, it'd pass out the realm without the proper laws. if you'd have a heir with parents from two diffrent realms but equal ranks, it thus depends on who'se vassal the heir became first, or whoever of the parents died first. if, say, the father would be a duke and the mother a count, the heir could first inherit the mothers lands, and then go to the father's realm as his rank is higher.

another thing to keep in mind what people sometimes forget is that if they obtain a rank that's equal to yours they automatically become independent from you, no matter what.

basicly, if current rank is equal or higher than the rank that they would be inheriting, youre fine. if it's lower, consider promoting the vassel.

just having them have a barony WOULD work fine if you're pressing their claims - they only have to be a vassal already. again - take care not to press their claim on an equal rank to yours.