• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Olaus Petrus

Field Marshal
91 Badges
Nov 20, 2004
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Diplomacy was on sale at 5€, so I bought it. As someone who has never played the boardgame I'm bit confused.

AI seems to break agreements relatively often and doesn't bother to inform me about it. But I guess that this is the whole idea of Diplomacy.

My little brother also owns copy of Diplomacy and has played it with his friends and we agreed that I would play against him (and his friends) soon. So any tips for beginner who doesn't want to lose to his little brother?

Olaus, what a pleasent suprise :)

If the AI breaks an agreement with you officially, you should hear a sound of paper being wrinkled, and the bar representing agreement with the nation goes away. If it says at deadline that the AI intends to do a certain thing, and the AI nevertheless doesn't, the AI lied to you (which is too commonplace. AI doesn't make good players).

As for tips. Well, a good tip for any player is to first do preliminary orders, which you can later change. If you miss the deadline you at least have something. And as for beating your little brother; I think the best bet there would be ally with him, and then stab him at an approtiate point. It has the risk for him doing it first though.
And make sure you have patched the game, or you can't use chat for negotiation!

If you registrer the game you can also play with the little community we have. The first game after the summer is sheduled to next Sunday. You are free to come. ;)

Snake IV said:
Olaus, what a pleasent suprise :)

If the AI breaks an agreement with you officially, you should hear a sound of paper being wrinkled, and the bar representing agreement with the nation goes away. If it says at deadline that the AI intends to do a certain thing, and the AI nevertheless doesn't, the AI lied to you (which is too commonplace. AI doesn't make good players).

As for tips. Well, a good tip for any player is to first do preliminary orders, which you can later change. If you miss the deadline you at least have something. And as for beating your little brother; I think the best bet there would be ally with him, and then stab him at an approtiate point. It has the risk for him doing it first though.
And make sure you have patched the game, or you can't use chat for negotiation!

If you registrer the game you can also play with the little community we have. The first game after the summer is sheduled to next Sunday. You are free to come. ;)

Ah, so that's how the announcement thing works. Diplomacy's graphic negotiation system has confused me a lot, even after reading the manual and playing the tutorials. It seems to give plenty of options what to do, but I haven't learned to master it perfectly yet.

PS: I have the latest patch.

Snake IV said:
The manual is a curious thing, because at times it describes a different game than that released!

I noticed that. Old Paradox manuals (another example is Vicky's manual) aren't that good. Recently there has been some improvement.

AI doesn't seem to be too bright. I got the game yesterday and today I played my first real SP game (after couple of test games) as Turkey and I won.

No, the AI rarly puts up any good resistance. SP still makes for convenient learning of the game mechanics and the map character.