• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I got the version by right-clicking on it, Properties, Version tab. Interestingly the one on my XP machine is the identical version and date to the one on my Win7 machine, but quite a different size
3.98 MB (4,178,264 bytes)
so it may install different files depending on the OS version. Anyway t seems clear your file is bad or something is getting in the way of it being used or found, possibly even the FileMenu Tools utility you have, or something to do with its failure to register as a DLL. This MS document may apply
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827659

Different file sizes with the same name and inception date don't make it that easy to find a fault, do they? Microsoft slipped up there. The link simply showed that Vista doesn't follow the same pathway . . . got a "Regsrv32.exe is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

Think I need to consider making sure I've downloaded the right DirectX version 9 for Vistax64 and then running the executable file for the entire version. If that doesn't work then, as I have a back-up image for the OS from first run and all my files are on other HDD's, it's a complete reload to see if it puts that damn DLL in the right place.

It'll take me a while but I'll report back . . . maybe eventually finding the solution to this will help somebody else if they ever encounter the problem.

Thanks once again for your help.

If I type in regsvr32 in the command line (cmd) on my Win7 box, it runs. But if I point it to that dll it gets the same error as above
The module "C:\Windows\System32\d3dx9_41.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "C:\Windows\System32\d3dx9_41.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again
I can't see how to run that command as admin, short of logging out of Win7 as me and in as admin, which I'm not going to do. If you can do that, try it, but I now rather suspect that error is "normal" for that DLL and the root cause of your issue is elsewhere.

Result!! Unhappy with multiple problems with the recent load of Vista x64 I dug out an old HDD and replaced my original C: drive, that is going to be thoroughly tested to see if the disc has any faults. This time, despite my replacement HDD being slower, there were no problems and/or issues with the whole process including all the other software I put on it.

Initial start of Rome (before vv_232) brought up the known JIT issue - fixed as shown on here - but System32 showed NO "d3dx9_41.dll" so I ran the dxweb installer and did notice that this time the whole installation was more comprehensive than before. Then I downloaded a fresh vv_232 and installed. All fine, no problems - touch wood - and both new and previously saved games running.

I suppose the lesson here is never trust a shaky OS and always keep your "old software" up to date as your PC/OS gets newer. With that in mind is there any problems replacing Vista with Windows7?

Thank you Andrew but gotta dash, it's 610 auc and my Gaul Empire is about to crush Rome and Carthage for the last time . . . damn upstarts!

With that in mind is there any problems replacing Vista with Windows7?
No, Windows 7 is fine. Do make sure you get the very latest video driver available, and you'll need to re-install dx9 again if it's a wipe-and-reinstall process.