• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ivhokie

Major
6 Badges
Jan 4, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
I am a HOI4 player and love it, but I find that I miss the tactical aspect that you can get in some grand strategy games. (ie the battle map in the Total War series) I was looking at this to scratch that itch. So I guess the main question is that I am a WWII buff that loves complex (realistic) strategy games that needs more tactical level strategy than HOI4 provides. Is Steel Division the game for me?

Either SD44 or Combat Mission. SD44 is less grognard but has good tactical play and more of an online presence. CM is full grognard but harder to play games with others. SD44 is considerably cheaper than trying to pick up CM: Normandy and all expansions. Watch a few YouTube plays of each and see what scratches your itch best!

von Luck

I am a HOI4 player and love it, but I find that I miss the tactical aspect that you can get in some grand strategy games. (ie the battle map in the Total War series) I was looking at this to scratch that itch. So I guess the main question is that I am a WWII buff that loves complex (realistic) strategy games that needs more tactical level strategy than HOI4 provides. Is Steel Division the game for me?
If you love WWII strategy game that's played real time, I highly recommend Steel Division. Although I will warn you it's a game with steep learning curve. Searching for youtube videos are one of the best way to learn how to play the game.

If you love WWII strategy game that's played real time, I highly recommend Steel Division. Although I will warn you it's a game with steep learning curve. Searching for youtube videos are one of the best way to learn how to play the game.
Agreed; Vulcan's videos where he shoutcasts tournament games and narrates replays of his own gameplay are a great way to learn about how to succeed in this game. He also pastes the code for his decks in the video descriptions of replays of his own games so you can import them into your game and take inspiration from battlegroups made by an experienced player. Keep in mind that strategies for 1v1 and team games are slightly different, but there's a lot to be learned in each video regardless. I learned a lot about how to take advantage of the unique assets of the 17. SS-Panzergrenadiers and 21. Panzer by watching his videos and it definitely improved my results with those divisions.