• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Open questions (newest first)

1. In combat_tactics, is the list of groups hardcoded or defined somewhere? If hardcoded, is it 'harass' or 'harrass'?
  2. True? Both job titles and minor titles can have dignity, opinion_effect, monthly_salary, monthly_prestige, monthly_piety, allow, gain_effect, lose_affect
  3. True? Job titles (but not minor titles) can have is_chancellor etc, attribute, action, lift_fow, lift_neighbor_fow
  4. True? Minor titles (but not job titles) can have realm_in_name, spouse_context, show_as_title, message, and grant_limit.
  5. In landed_titles, can titles have two titles? Also if someone has a reference to the general file structure (and especially what's valid for kings, dukes, etc), it would be quite helpful.
  6. Could someone point me to well-written and definitely correct examples of missions, besides the one in the vanilla files?

Last edited:
1. Pretty sure it isn't hardcoded.
2. True
3. Job titles can definitely have those. I don't think minor titles can, but I'm not absolutely certain
4. Minor titles can have those. I don't think job titles can, but I'm not absolutely certain
5. I'm not quite sure what you mean? As to the general structure, every county (with land) has to be in a duchy, and every duchy (with land) in a kingdom. Kingdoms don't have to be in empires

2. True
3. Job titles can definitely have those. I don't think minor titles can, but I'm not absolutely certain
4. Minor titles can have those. I don't think job titles can, but I'm not absolutely certain
5. I'm not quite sure what you mean? As to the general structure, every county (with land) has to be in a duchy, and every duchy (with land) in a kingdom. Kingdoms don't have to be in empires

Thanks! For 5, I meant capitals (one entry had two capitals).

Open questions (oldest first)

1. In combat_tactics, is the list of groups hardcoded or defined somewhere? If hardcoded, is it 'harass' or 'harrass'? If defined somewhere, where is it defined?
  2. In landed_titles, can titles have two capitals? Also if someone has a reference to the general file structure (and especially what's valid for kings, dukes, etc), it would be quite helpful.
  3. Could someone point me to well-written and definitely correct examples of missions, besides the one in the vanilla files?
  4. In region_titles.txt, are there reasons to have duplicate colors?
  5. In titles.txt, I presume that having two 'color' entries is pointless, while a 'color' and 'color2' entry work? Where are male_names, primary, controls_religion, landless, foa, title, and location_ruler_title allowed to be defined?
  6. In titles.txt, can baron titles have anything inside of them?
  7. I'm currently distinguishing empires/kings/etc by the "e_", "k_", etc prefix. Is that correct?
  8. In opinion_modifiers.txt, what can you have besides X={opinion=Y} and an optional months entry, and revoke_reason and prison_reason?
  9. In technology.txt, the modifier clauses are just normal modifiers, and whatever you use here, you can use in any modifier? Also are they province or character modifiers? Or is there no distinction between the two? And why is everything in caps? Just for funsies?

Last edited:
2. I doubt a title can have two capitals, as a single character cannot have more than one. Every level except count and baron can have a capital, but it is not strictly necessary. A capital outside its borders does not seem to cause any problems.
5. Color determines the color of the faction, and one of the two colors of its border. Color2 determines the other color of its border.
It seems most of them (male_names, primary, controls_religion, landless, foa, title, and location_ruler_title) can be applied to any title (I tested male_names, controls_religion, foa, and title on a barony, and all but controls_religion worked.) Do note that you could probably also use female_names.
6. Yup, see above.
7. Yup.
8. You can have months = X. No idea if you can have anything else.
9. They're province modifiers. Much beyond that I cannot tell you, sorry.

@Memeth, steveuk666: Thanks!

2. True

Thanks! For 5, I meant capitals (one entry had two capitals).

1. Could someone point me to well-written and definitely correct examples of missions, besides the one in the vanilla files?
  2. In region_titles.txt, are there reasons to have duplicate colors?
  3. In technology.txt, the modifier clauses are just normal modifiers, and whatever you use here, you can use in any modifier? Also are they province or character modifiers? Or is there no distinction between the two? And why is everything in caps? Just for funsies?

v0.8.21 b RC2 has been released

Download here

NOTE: Currently, there is _no_ validation of triggers and commands; the Validator just skips those parts of the files that it validates. Such validation will come later.
Great stuff, running through my files now. Already found some issues in my mod.

Some feedback so far:

• In cb_types.txt, check_dejure_duchies = yes #is a valid CB attribute, but the Validator reports it as an error.
  • The Validator is reporting the colors in culture.txt as errors, probably because they're using a 0 to 1 range rather than a 0 to 255 range.
  • The Validator doesn't recognize this character: " ". It recognizes it as a regular space, while it is instead used for names that have two parts (E.G., "Ramon Borrell")
  • It doesn't recognize "galleys" as a valid modifier in static_modifiers.
  • It doesn't recognize "fort-level" as a valid modifier in static_modifiers.
  • It doesn't recognize "naval_organisation" as a valid modifier in static_modifiers.
  • It doesn't recognize "global_defensive" as a valid modifier in static_modifiers.
  • It doesn't recognize "garrison_growth" as a valid modifier in static_modifiers.
  • It doesn't recognize "land" as a valid modifier in static_modifiers.
  • It doesn't recognize "land_organisation" as a valid modifier in triggered_modifiers (but does in static_modifiers)
  • It doesn't recognize potential in triggered_modifiers.
  • It doesn't recognize "<type>_max_levy" and "<type>_min_levy" in triggered_modifiers.
  • It doesn't recognize "gain_effect" in landed_titles.
I'm not sure what it is complaining about here:
bRBNU.png

The relevant code:
Code:
k_sunni = {
    color={ 40 160 40 }
    color2={ 220 220 0 }

capital = 719 # Mecca

title = "CALIPH"
    foa = "CALIPH_FOA"
    short_name = yes

religion=sunni

# Controls a religion
    controls_religion = sunni

caliphate = yes
}

Last edited:
What an excellent tool this is.

Running my mod through it, there was one error;

--- Error 1 of 1 ---
Parse Failure
Path: <mod>\common\combat_tactics.txt
Error: The file was not properly closed by a closing bracket.

Will this tool in future actually pinpoint the error it found? because for the life of me, I can't find it :eek:hmy:

@steveuk666: It would be difficult for the Validator to do so. However, if you use a text editor like Notepad++ and set it to a language that has brackets, you can soon see where the bracket is missing. Also if you double click on the error, the Validator will show what it managed to parse, and you can see if anything got incorrectly shifted over.

@Meneth: I have fixed your reported issues, except for the following:
* Cultures.txt already uses 0-1 colors, so that wouldn't be the issue.
* Do you know what character that actually is, that the Validator treats as a space?
* It's complaining that caliphate isn't allowed at the king level. I guess it actually is allowed at that level? (I have it as allowed only at the empire level).
* I added galleys, fort_level, naval_organisation, global_defensive, garrison_growth, land as province modifiers. Is that correct?
* "land_organisation" is currently listed as a province modifier, while triggered modifiers operates on character modifiers. I assume either triggered modifiers operates on province modifiers, or land_organisation works as a char modifier or both. Which case would it be?

@steveuk666: It would be difficult for the Validator to do so. However, if you use a text editor like Notepad++ and set it to a language that has brackets, you can soon see where the bracket is missing. Also if you double click on the error, the Validator will show what it managed to parse, and you can see if anything got incorrectly shifted over.

@Meneth: I have fixed your reported issues, except for the following:
* Cultures.txt already uses 0-1 colors, so that wouldn't be the issue.
I was getting error messages for every single color entry, using almost entirely the vanilla values.

* Do you know what character that actually is, that the Validator treats as a space?
No, sorry. Search cultures.txt for part of the name I mentioned and you should find it.
* It's complaining that caliphate isn't allowed at the king level. I guess it actually is allowed at that level? (I have it as allowed only at the empire level).
It works fine, yes.
* I added galleys, fort_level, naval_organisation, global_defensive, garrison_growth, land as province modifiers. Is that correct?
Yup.
* "land_organisation" is currently listed as a province modifier, while triggered modifiers operates on character modifiers. I assume either triggered modifiers operates on province modifiers, or land_organisation works as a char modifier or both. Which case would it be?
It seems that land_organisation applies to everything raised by a character if applied on char-level, but only on the units from a specific province if applied on prov-level.

I was getting error messages for every single color entry, using almost entirely the vanilla values.

No, sorry. Search cultures.txt for part of the name I mentioned and you should find it.

It works fine, yes.

Yup.

It seems that land_organisation applies to everything raised by a character if applied on char-level, but only on the units from a specific province if applied on prov-level.

Can you copy one color entry's error in, please?

Do you know if caliphate works at every level, or just empire and king?

Hmm, I see, that character is 0xa0=160, a non-breaking space. But there is an entry that uses non-breaking spaces that is "Ramon*Berenguer_Raymond*Berengar", that doesn't seem quite correct. Do you know if it is?

1. Could someone point me to well-written and definitely correct examples of missions, besides the one in the vanilla files?
  2. In region_titles.txt, are there reasons to have duplicate colors?
  3. In technology.txt, the modifier clauses are just normal modifiers, and whatever you use here, you can use in any modifier? Also are they province or character modifiers? Or is there no distinction between the two? And why is everything in caps? Just for funsies?
  4. In religion.txt, does "can_grant_invasion_cb" take a casus belli or a boolean?
  5. Events, decisions, triggers, commands - does anyone have a good guide to them?
  6. on_actions.txt - why caps in some of them? Funsies?
  7. Are these valid province modifiers? short_reign_length, religion_flex, culture_flex, add_piety_modifier, add_prestige_modifier, church_opinion, town_opinion, castle_opinion, siege_defence, siege_speed
  8. Is naval_morale a real modifier?
  9. In character events, is it only_capable or capable_only? And is_ruler or only_rulers or only_ruler, which one is it? And prisoner vs is_prisoner? And only_playable vs playable_only vs is_playable?
  10. For triggers/commands, is ROOT basically the same as THIS in other games?

Last edited:
Can you copy one color entry's error in, please?

Do you know if caliphate works at every level, or just empire and king?

Hmm, I see, that character is 0xa0=160, a non-breaking space. But there is an entry that uses non-breaking spaces that is "Ramon*Berenguer_Raymond*Berengar", that doesn't seem quite correct. Do you know if it is?
color = { 0.4 0.6 0.1 }

Caliphate as simply a namesake works on any level. Caliphate as the actual head of religion doesn't seem to work on county or barony level, but works both as an empire or a kingdom (both the Pope and the Orthodox Patriarch are kings, and the Sunni Caliphate works as a kingdom in my mod). Haven't tested it on duchy level.

"Ramon*Berenguer_Raymond*Berengar"
That's used to make names equivalent to the names of other cultures. For example "Ælaf_Olaf" is the Saxon equivalent of the Norwegian name "Olaf_Olaf". This means that if a Norwegian named Olaf becomes Saxon, his name will become "Ælaf". They're also equivalent for regnal numbering so you won't end up with both "Ælaf I" and "Olaf I", but instead "Ælaf I" and "Olaf II"

color = { 0.4 0.6 0.1 }

Caliphate as simply a namesake works on any level. Caliphate as the actual head of religion doesn't seem to work on county or barony level, but works both as an empire or a kingdom (both the Pope and the Orthodox Patriarch are kings, and the Sunni Caliphate works as a kingdom in my mod). Haven't tested it on duchy level.

"Ramon*Berenguer_Raymond*Berengar"
That's used to make names equivalent to the names of other cultures. For example "Ælaf_Olaf" is the Saxon equivalent of the Norwegian name "Olaf_Olaf". This means that if a Norwegian named Olaf becomes Saxon, his name will become "Ælaf". They're also equivalent for regnal numbering so you won't end up with both "Ælaf I" and "Olaf I", but instead "Ælaf I" and "Olaf II"
Hmm I see. For the 'color', can you copy the error that appears in the Validator? I wonder, is there an advantage to not just using "something with spaces" (i.e. putting quotes around it).

Ok thanks Jamie

Well, it should be in the end of the file...?

If it is missing the closing bracket, you know?

Doh! note to self...read errors correctly :p

Last edited: