• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
China seems ripe for adventuring in its lands...

China seems ripe for adventuring in its lands...

Like always seemed. :) It always looked so absurd to me, how such populous country with massive resources is plaything for literally every invader for the last thousand years. One would expect steamroll fun each time. Like playing Mings in EUIV xD

In any case, for practical reasons, shattered China with multiple tributary states is better option than single regime, which may rebel any time.

Last edited:
Like always seemed. :) It always looked so absurd to me, how such populous country with massive resources is plaything for literally every invader for the last thousand years. One would expect steamroll fun each time. Like playing Mings in EUIV xD
Empires rise and empires fall. It's like how Germany was the plaything/battleground of Europe between the decentralization of the HRE (~1200s in the late Hohenstaufen dynasty) and the German Unification (1871). Same thing with Italy.

Early/Mid Ming was quite powerful (the Divine Engine Division came up with the triple line musketry centuries before the Japanese or Dutch). And only the Vietnamese ever managed to stop a full invasion by the Mongol Empire by their own power (Japan doesn't count as it was an act of god, twice; while Hungary only managed the second time after the Mongols fractured). So your "thousand years" is revealing a dire lack of understanding =P

Last edited:

In any case, for practical reasons, shattered China with multiple tributary states is better option than single regime, which may rebel any time.

Indeed. It looks like Africa during the Scramble...

Better a "Balcanized" China than an united one, for sure.

Empires rise and empires fall. It's like how Germany was the plaything/battleground of Europe between the decentralization of the HRE (~1200s in the late Hohenstaufen dynasty) and the German Unification (1871). Same thing with Italy.

Early/Mid Ming was quite powerful (the Divine Engine Division came up with the triple line musketry centuries before the Japanese or Dutch). And only the Vietnamese ever managed to stop a full invasion by the Mongol Empire by their own power (Japan doesn't count as it was an act of god, twice; while Hungary only managed the second time after the Mongols fractured). So your "thousand years" is revealing a dire lack of understanding =P

Bad comparison. Even during good ol' HRE times, Germans and Italians kicked butts not only occasionally. 'Little' Venice or Bavaria were very actively involved in wars, be attackers or defenders, despite being only small parts of future national states. Kingdom of Bohemia or Saxony were also just parts, and you can't say there were playthings as well...yes, sometimes, but so was even Russia, for a time, when Golden Horde or Poland were very pushy.

But entire Chinese 'Mandate of Heaven' concept seems to me as official invitation for every barbarian, rebel officer or religious nut to rebel and claim the throne, whenever he feels like it xD
I doubt there's any Asian culture so deeply accepting 'might makes right'. If Japanese managed full conquest, and could avoid unnecessary slaughter at same time, I guess many Chinese would just accepted rule of 'Wa Dynasty'.

Last edited:
Anyway, It's better in gameplay view, to unify china under one big puppet state. When things will heat up in pacific i will need thoses chineses divisions to help me on the continent.:)

This AAR caught my eye. Japan is an interesting country to play because you have several options open to you at the outset. You can go north, you can go south. You can go east, you can go west. I will follow this AAR and see where you go.

This AAR caught my eye. Japan is an interesting country to play because you have several options open to you at the outset. You can go north, you can go south. You can go east, you can go west. I will follow this AAR and see where you go.

I don't want to reveal my plans but what if i told you that you gonna enjoy the trip :D ! welcome aboard !
Book I : The Dawn

GYA4g6q.png

(Industrialization music style)

During the years 1933 japan saw a lot of capital changes, political reforms, big army and fleet moves and launch of big construction sites. Japan was a place boiling of dynamism and changes. But then, when everything is on track, when projects advance steadily, when objectives to achieve are clearly defined, a daily routine take place. Every day is like the day before and is and time flow quickly.

The year 1934 is calm for the empire and here is a list of important event that happened during the last 12 month:

• 25th of November 1933: The US government officially recognized the USSR as the legitimate Russian state. URSS enter the international stage. This is a bad new but we can’t do anything about this.

• 10th of December 1933: The first batch of industries is completed and a new 1*3 IC line is launched. This new industrial complexes coupled with the central planning economic policy help us to pass the 100 IC level. Japan wins its seventh and last technology slot. It’s the most advanced country of Asia and now japan can pursue as much technology program as the most advanced countries. The next step? Reach the UK industrial capacity!

TkgwyOx.png

"Japan is building industry and stockpiling resources"

• 4th of January 1934: the soviets enter the league of nation! What next?! Now the league let’s rogue state enter its ranks. They open the door for the devil and welcome them warmly.

• 6th of January 1934: Someone have to counter the growing threat of communism. The Chinese have setup a communist resistance in Manchuria. Today mark the day where IJA and Manchurian Defense Forces launch a counter guerilla operation against this immediate but minor threat to the empire. Let’s wish them good luck.
ivQ8Y1U.png

"The only operation of IJA during this year"

• 1st of March 1934: The nationalist won their last encirclement campaign against the communist china.
0yIThwr.png

The communist force is in disarray, Mao Zedong take the leadership and lead the survivors to their stronghold in the mountains of Shanxi. Before the encirclement campaign the CPC army was about 400 000 battle-hardened soldiers experienced in guerilla. Only 40 000 of them would survive the harassing march and fight against the nationalist. Bad job Chiek ! You almost destroyed your biggest internal enemy but you failed!

kl4Dqrh.png

"Communist stronghold in the mountains at June 1934"

• 16th of July 1934: Today the IJN start one of its most secret and ambitious plan. The expansion of shipyards for Super Heavy Battleship.
5LPQ8z4.png

"This herculean project request 4% of empire industries during ONE entire year!"

The IJN like IJA is divided in factions. The division appeared in the early 20’s when the Washington Naval Treaty was in negotiation. In one side there is the pro-treaty faction who wants to follow the Washington naval treaty. Japan is limited in resources and industrial power. The treaty ensures a balance with its enemies. So japan can focus on better ships, doctrines and training to take the upper hand. With no limitations USA could easily double or triple its navy size within a couple of years. Those will sign the Empire doom. In the other side there is the pro-fleet faction who is friendly with the most radical nationalists of the army. Pro-fleet wants to reject in block the naval treaty and build the most powerful navy ever to crush its enemy. Quite simply and just like that! Happily the pro-treaty faction is the one who win the argument until today. Japan can’t have more than 10 Battleship. So let’s make the biggest battleship ever made! Their purpose will be to annihilate enemy older and outgunned ships. This project is top secret because the ships will totally override the maximal ship tonnage authorized. Preliminary studies for classic 1934 battleship are finished. Conclusion is “we need bigger dockyards and naval yard installations”. Let it go!

• 4th of September 1934: Rumors of political turmoil came from USSR. Stalin is starting to purge the politburo of dissidents. We don’t if it’s a good or bad news? Is the red tyrant winning more power or more enemies with this move? We don’t know.

• 20th of September: The second batch of industries is finished, and 2*2 IC lines are started.
BKiytpL.png

"Every IC created is re-injected directly in IC production"

The plan is scheduled to finish before the first quarter of 1936. The real challenge will start after its completion. Feeding our industry with resources will cost us a lot of money. But we will be as powerful as (or more) the United Kingdoms.

• 21th of November: Today newspapers title says : “Military Academy Incident”
8ukRq3F.png

Today is an important date. Not only army elements started to act independently during the Mukden incident in 1931, but today they tried to attack directly the government on the sacred soil of japan! The police arrested them before they start to act but the lack of evidence helped the rights-wing leagues to free them without a trial. The army is day after day slipping out of government control. This is really worrying.

Finally let’s look at our research progress. At the end of 1934 the Empire pursues researches in every field of technology. And we have the luck to be able to search technologies in advance! More blueprint we have more we can sell Japanese technologies all around the world. And we need a lot of foreign currency! Akagi carrier refit is 50 % complete and Kaga refit is about 20 %. At this pace they would be finished before the end of the industrialization plan.

YaZqLs2.png

"I can actually research every useless techs J and take advance in 1935 techs"
See you next chapter for the completion of industrialisation plan.

So the industrialisation is continuing nicely by the sounds of things.

Yeah I build as much as IC i can before 1936. After this i will build lots of various stuff. (note : its totally not the best way to build up japan to roll over the world ^^)

5LPQ8z4.png

"This herculean project request 4% of empire industries during ONE entire year!"

The price one must pay to have battleships big enough to blow weak enemy ships out of the water.

The price one must pay to have battleships big enough to blow weak enemy ships out of the water.
'The fiercest serpent may be overcome by a swarm of ants' - admiral Yamamoto about the Yamato class.

I always dreamed about super-battleships close enough to U.S. carriers to destroy them piecemeal.
It's actually possible in Darkest Hour, but I rather always used submarines for wave attacks and carriers for coup de grace :)

Any Kraut here who ever built 20 inch H-class battleships? :D

Any Kraut here who ever built 20 inch H-class battleships? :D
With the Naval mod I use it's possible to build them. i'm am thinking about adding another goal in this game. Let's try to build the biggest ship with the biggest guns therically allowed by the mod.