• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My dearest sir,

Why U NO MOAR UPDATE ?

Don't underestimate how much of my play time is spent sitting, staring at the world map, then getting up, taking a walk and pondering, mulling over how to progress.

For every breakthrough I've had in said thinking sessions I've found several drawbacks in-game. I've actually hatched a masterful plan which I think should not only work, but actually make this achievement rather easy and leave me with time to spare, unless of course, there are setbacks. And there are always setbacks.

None the less, it would require a restart and I am going to see my current run through to the end.

GvM89zR.jpg

Sure enough, coring overseas provinces of your culture appears to make them trivial in cost. For this reason alone, I am not joining up South America with North America until all of my colonies there are cored. One of the biggest choke points for a WC, as far as I can see, is having the ADM points to core as much land as you can, before going on an all-out blitz and ignoring overextension. For this reason, all of my ADM points have been going towards coring and getting tech level 7 to get my next tech tree. Level 7 is close, but I will not go to level 8, probably ever.

C2qNjvv.jpg

tv3hau7.jpg

remember good old pagan Pegu? It took about 13 years but I brought them into the fold. One of the troops they left me with was a literally useless, 0 morale shell of a regiment. Another one to chalk up on the bugs list.

xUyN1T1.jpg

Here's a dastardly idea I had. I couldn't stop Portugal and Spain from colonising some of these lands, but I got military access form them, lowered my maintenance and marched on and off of their islands to invoke constant native uprisings, damaging their colonies. If I had thought of this sooner, I could have left Spain and Portugal with only about 4 colonies each in total. At this point though, it's not really worthwhile. A shame, but perhaps it'll come in useful another time.

gkbwaHT.jpg

I'm just finishing off the natives now. It's about 1555 I think. I'm absolutely dripping with thousands of ducats and have a lot of MIL and DIP stored up, most of my lands are cored or coring. The next session is going to be the heavy one: I'll have to launch my attack on Europe. The big 4 are all tied together: Portugal is allied to both Spain and Great Britain, while France is defender of the Catholic faith. I'm confident I can win such a war, but the cost could be astronomical.

Last edited:
Great update.
One thing to note about over-extension: every non-core base tax not coming from colonies will give you 4% over-extension. And every 100% of over-extension gives you +5% revolt risk. Assuming you can survive at most +50% revolt risk, you can at most get 1000% over-extension, or 250 non-core base tax. That is equivalent to only about 60 European provinces. Which means breaking the limit is not really an option until the last 30 years or so. I am clueless on how the cap can be avoided.

Great update.
One thing to note about over-extension: every non-core base tax not coming from colonies will give you 4% over-extension. And every 100% of over-extension gives you +5% revolt risk. Assuming you can survive at most +50% revolt risk, you can at most get 1000% over-extension, or 250 non-core base tax. That is equivalent to only about 60 European provinces. Which means breaking the limit is not really an option until the last 30 years or so. I am clueless on how the cap can be avoided.

Well, one trick to avoid over-extension might be to find some way to keep switching cultures to take advantage of the overseas/same culture low coring cost.

Great update.
Do you mean growing colonies or colonial provinces? as if it were eu3 all of Europe§Asia/Africa would be colonies...

You're doing well keeping Portugal and Spain out for the most part. I do feel though that the world conquest seems unlikely. Still, a dominion of all the americas would be a great achievement nonetheless!

Do you mean growing colonies or colonial provinces? as if it were eu3 all of Europe§Asia/Africa would be colonies...
Only provinces which upgrade to cities under your hands are exempted from over-extension.

I suspect the "masterful strategy" has something to do with vassals... and an old EU3 trick.

Only provinces which upgrade to cities under your hands are exempted from over-extension.

I suspect the "masterful strategy" has something to do with vassals... and an old EU3 trick.

Huh? They are not. In my Japan game my colonies are only "free" as long as they grow. When they are finished they give me overextension. Or is it because these colonies do not count as oversea?

@DDRJake: With that much gold, could you not conquer a one province minor in Europe and build a gigantic mercenary army?

Huh? They are not. In my Japan game my colonies are only "free" as long as they grow. When they are finished they give me overextension. Or is it because these colonies do not count as oversea?

Oops. I forgot the "different continent" criteria, but what I have stated is a necessary condition nonetheless.