• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
IV.
1 January 1577 – 1 January 1578

The Norse people had flung themselves far and wide in their period of expansion in the late 800s to early 1000s. Norse names still predominated in places like Scotland and Brittany. And the ruling classes in Northern Europe all spoke one or another of a Norse language. In Northeastern Europe, the Norse had essentially formed a small ruling class over an assortment of Baltic, Finnic and Slavic tribes.

The homelands of the Northern European peoples—the Swedes, the Norwegians and the Danes—had been united into the single kingdom of Östergötland, or East Geatland, under the auspices of the noble Sture family. The formal name for this kingdom, and the name which the kingdom used for itself in its own legal literature and propaganda, was the Union of Norrköping, which city served as the capital of this kingdom.

eu4_1321a.png
eu4_1151a.png

The other two Norse-ruled states, though, were ‘Sweden’ and Garderike.

The Kingdom of ‘Sweden’—so called because historically the seat of its honour had been in Svealand before its forcible incorporation into the Union of Norrköping—lay primarily on the Pruthenian Baltic coast. The Swedes formed only a small upper-crust ruling class there, however: its subjects were primarily Eastern Germans, Prussian Balts, Pomeranian Slavs, Polabian Slavs (Sorbs), several enclaves of Baltic Greeks and Baltic Frenchmen, and several smaller enclaves of Ashkenazi Jews.

A similar case held true in Garderike. Although the court language and culture in Garderike was similarly ‘Swedish’, the Norse presence in Garderike was confined only to a handful of cities—Holmgard, Aldeigja, Jarisleifsborg and Tyrveshafn, with smaller enclaves of noble Swedes in Rostofa and Surdal. The populace of Garderike was primarily made up of East Slavs—Rus’—in the southeast; of Finns and Karelians in the northwest; and of inland Estonians, like the Čudové, in the southwest.

‘I haven’t forgotten our promise, you know,’ Artemie told Otakar.

‘Oh?’

‘You introduced me to Naďa,’ Artemie said. ‘I wanted to do something good for you in return.’

Artemie stepped back outside the military tent and came back less than a minute later with a young woman in tow. She was of the Čuď extraction, clearly—her rosy-fair skin and round face, topped by a sheaf of gold hair, readily attested to her being a local. Otakar stood and bowed to her politely; she courtesied in response.

‘Otakar,’ Artemie told him, ‘allow me to introduce you to Meelike Paijkull.’

‘How do you do, Miss Paijkull?’

Meelike made a soft-spoken, polite answer, and Artemie took Otakar aside. ‘I met her at the Orthodox temple hereabouts; she was praying quite piously. I noticed she had no kerchief, and no ring on her finger. You see she is quite polite, well-born, soft-spoken. And I also know what your tastes are like.’

Otakar returned a look to Meelike. She was indeed well inside his enfilade, so to speak. Blonde hair, rosy cheeks, a quite generous figure, a modest bearing…

‘I thank you, Artemie. Thank you very dearly!’

‘Well, she’s all yours, my friend,’ Artemie winked. ‘You two be good, mind.’

~~~​

Meelike was enchanting. Otakar enjoyed spending time with the Estonian woman, who was not only mild and calm and sweet of temper, but also knowledgeable—she spoke enough of the local Slavic tongue to make herself easily understood to Otakar, and was able to get her meaning across effectively even when linguistic difficulties arose—and learned. She understood Holy Scripture, and was able to put forward decided and well-considered opinions on literature, on poetry, even on physics and mathematics. Otakar was well and truly taken with Meelike, and she received his attentions with pleasure—but Otakar was decorous and jealous of Meelike’s honour, and did not importune her with requests too weighty upon her virtue or her person.

Still, that didn’t stop them from dining together, dancing together, going for walks together, going to church together—in short, spending all manner of private moments in each other’s company where the two of them could converse upon topics intimate to themselves. It was after one such dinner at camp when Moravian Crown Prince excused himself from the table, and Meelike did likewise not long afterward. There was some understanding laughter from the table, but no suspicion of anything untoward.

Meelike, however, did not trace Otakar’s steps directly, but instead went into his tent—which at the present had no other occupant but herself. She went over to his desk, and saw there a letter which he was composing home to his mother and father and younger sisters. If she had cared to read this, she might have seen herself described in glowing terms fit to make her blush, but she leafed past this to the sheets of paper underneath.

There, she found descriptions of Moravia’s war plans in Garderike, as well as previous letters that Otakar had received from home. She also discovered maps that showed the routes that Moravia’s armies had taken across the Rus’ lands to get to Garderike, its occupations of Galician lands, the current positions of its armies. Quickly, she took a blank sheet of paper, and the ready ink and quill, and began to jot down notes from several of these documents onto it. Then she took this paper, folded it neatly several times, and then placed it under the collar of her gown, within her cleavage. It was crucial that this document not be discovered by her present hosts. Still, her presence would be missed soon enough. She needed to get back to Otakar, and come up with a plausible excuse as to not being able to find him, before they went back into dinner.

~~~​

Near Brassel, where one of the Garderikean armies was camped, a young Swedish musketeer arrived on horseback, dismounted and was given admission into the camp, and presented a privy missive to a sharp, young tow-headed Estonian officer with a neatly-clipped moustache.

‘Thank you, Björn,’ said the Estonian. ‘Your assistance is, as usual, invaluable.’

The Garderikean Swede snapped a sharp salute and retired to his duties, while the Estonian officer unfolded the paper and read, a small smile of satisfaction creeping over his face.

‘Sweetheart back home?’ asked Lieutenant Magnusson next to him.

‘Hardly,’ said the Estonian officer. ‘Still, my younger sister keeps me… well-informed. Goodness me, she’s gotten quite close to the Prince! Look here—there’s a route here that is unused by the Moravian supply lines… and it leads all the way up to Olomouc. She’s even sketched out a map there for us. Bless Meelike. She might well have made my whole career with this intelligence… and saved our arses in this wretched war!’

‘Your orders, Captain Paijkull?’ asked Magnusson.

‘What else?’ Paijkull answered. ‘We march on Olomouc.’

eu4_1144a.png

The Garderikean army showed up in the Morava Valley in January 1577. By the time they arrived on the outskirts of Olomouc, the Estonian officer Joosip Paijkull had received a battlefield commission to the rank of general, and was leading the armies of Garderike in a broad assault on the walls. The interior of Moravia having been emptied of troops, the enemy had managed to penetrate all of their defences, including those which had been sent to relieve Brassel.

Kráľ Tomáš went to the walls together with the elderly Hubert Kozár, and hurriedly issued the order to recall the First Army from the frontlines to mount a relief of Olomouc. The First Army having been apprised of the situation, they selected from among their ranks an officer for a similar battlefield commission—this one being Ruslav z Rožmberka.

eu4_1146a.png
eu4_1145a.png

Ruslav z Rožmberka arrayed his troops against Joosip Paijkull on the approach to the North Bridge that passed through Týneček and Chválkovice. He noted at once that the Garderikeans had about twice as many pieces of cannon as he did, and the strength in infantry to defend them effectively. Naturally: Paijkull had prepared for a siege! What he did not have at his disposal were large numbers of mobile troops to field—cavalry. Still, somewhere around four thousand guns were nothing to sneeze at. As a result, Ruslav used the terrain to his advantage.

The Moravians weren’t going to break the Garderikean siege formations with enfilading fire—not with only two thousand cannon to their four thousand. So Ruslav used the old Johanit tactics of erecting mobile barricades with whatever he had to hand—spare planks, fallen timber, old carts—and setting up the houfnice behind them from the high ground to the west of Týneček. The cavalry would break into two and approach from either side of these hills—one through the village, and one from the side of the river by Černovír, hopefully catching the besiegers in a pincer.

Thunder rolled over the Morava Valley and plumes of smoke trailed into the grey sky. Snow erupted in plumes where the balls struck. The infantry began to advance on each side across the field, exchanging musket fire over embankments and across snowbound hedgerows. Then came the Moravian cavalry charge.

Owing to the snows, the horses were slowed a bit once they came off the main roads—but the charges were still effective. The cannon were not able to reorient themselves in time to avoid the flanking action; many of them were destroyed and some were captured. The infantry held off better, but having to deal with enemies on three sides threw them into confusion.

eu4_1146b.png

In the end, Joosip Paijkull had to beat a retreat. But not before he had instilled terror into the hearts of the residents of Olomouc, that for a second time in two hundred years the walls of Olomouc might well have been breached.

~~~
Ruslav z Rožmberka was left to give pursuit to the retreating Gardarikeans, while the inner Zhromaždenie was left with the task of figuring out how on earth such a massive breach of military intelligence could have happened in the first place. Paijkull could not have penetrated this far into Moravia of his own knowledge without alerting Moravian troops or auxiliaries along the resupply routes. He had to have gotten help from inside. But who in the court would be that disloyal?

Some eyes were cast at Rožmberka’s kinsman Vladimír—not only a Roman Catholic coreligionist of the Gardarikean royals, but also massively disgruntled at having been ousted from his position as military adviser and still knowledgeable about the inner workings of Moravia’s armies. Yet the elder Rožmberka readily agreed to a search and investigation of his belongings and property and recent movements—which, despite a tailor-fine thoroughness, turned up nothing.

Investigators then turned to the armies themselves. One commander was able to find the route across Galicia that the Garderikeans had used between Holmgard and Brassel. This route led unfortunately back to the camps of the Second Army. The implications were troubling to the Kráľ. The two ranking officers in the Second Army, the ones who had enough knowledge to have kept Paijkull that well-informed, were the son of the late Matej Štefaník… and the Crown Prince.

Môj Kráľ,’ spoke Hubert Kozár, ‘I have some interesting news from the west—and a potential opportunity.’

‘Is this really the time, Kozár?’ asked Tomáš irritably. At the moment, he really didn’t want to think he’d been deceived in the character of his own son.

‘With respect, vaše Veličenstvo,’ Kozár reminded the king, ‘there is no time like the present. The question of our border defences against East Francia, despite the current war—nay, because of it—should not be neglected.’

‘Alright,’ grumped Tomáš. ‘Go on, then.’

Hubert Kozár cleared his throat. ‘The town of Zhořelec, on the other side of the present border with East Francia, has long had cultural ties with the Moravian Kingdom, as I believe you know, dating back to the times of King Pravoslav. Suffice it to say, the Sorbs of Zhořelec, observing your dealings with Drježdźany, have come to the unsurprising conclusion that your rule is preferable to the misrule they suffer at the hands of the nemcy. Now, given the vast array of valid historical claims that Moravia has to that land, we could press the issue now, while East Francia is still distracted with wars to the north of us.’

eu4_1149a.png
eu4_1150a.png

Tomáš hesitated, glaring at his kancelár.

‘I need hardly remind vase Veličenstvo,’ Hubert Kozár pressed gently, ‘of the need to fortify the western border. We now have a willing partner in that regard, in the commons of Zhořelec.’

Tomáš gave his grudging assent. ‘But we do not act upon it,’ he said, ‘until we have dealt with another security matter, a trifle more pressing.’

‘Understood, urodzený Pán,’ said the kancelár.

~~~

eu4_1148a.png
eu4_1151b.png

The spread of the printing press was continuing apace across Europe. Pomerania had now embraced the technology, with its Greek- and Polish-language presses beginning to print a sizeable volume of literature. And the Kingdom of (West) Francia had recently opened a book-market of an international scope, to which Moravian printers had surprisingly been invited to bring their wares. Of particular interest to the French printers were the copies of the Latin manuscript Animadversiones de occasu ossium, a medical text of considerable value that had been authored by a Norman Frenchwoman and queen-consort of considerable importance to Moravian history.

The Moravian First Army pushed the Garderikeans, firmly and finally, out of Brassel. And when the missive to the Second Army was delivered concerning the investigation into the breach of military intelligence, it did not take Otakar or Artemie long to figure out the source. Meelike Paijkull attempted to flee, but she was shot dead by one of the camp watch.

‘I trusted her,’ Otakar said bitterly. ‘I am to blame.’

‘No more so than I am,’ Artemie assured him. ‘She had me utterly fooled as well.’

Otakar took the news of Meelike’s perfidy quite ill, refusing to eat for a full week after the discovery was made. It had hurt not to be valued by women in Olomouc such as Imriška Múdra. It hurt that much more to have been used and betrayed, in such a treacherous way, by someone he’d trusted, liked… and even grown to love a bit. Artemie at first tried to comfort Otakar, and indeed to apologise to his friend for his oversight and his mistake about Meelike’s character—but he quickly ascertained that Otakar wished to be left alone.

The war wound to a close. Galicia was forced to give up the central Polish holdings of Krakov and Chenciny to Moravia, as well as pay an exorbitant sum for the prosecution of the war. Not long after that, Galicia concluded its peace with Great Rus’, which involved relinquishing the Podolie as well as the Vlach-speaking territories of Yassy, Bukovina and Vasiluj. The Second Army made its way home, but it was not in a mood of triumph.

eu4_1156a.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Sweden is in Prussia? Ah, CK, always making such strange borders...

On a more serious note, it seems the Kral was taken in by a honey trap. Hopefully he can recover from that disaster and find love again... but I fear that he will always be wary of betrayal now. At least the war was salvaged. Is that a silver lining here?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Thirty-Four
THIRTY-FOUR.
Otakar’s Penance
13 February 1578 – 14 December 1582

eu4_1155a.png

‘I am, quite frankly, not only dismayed, but astounded by your lack of judgement,’ the Kráľ said to his shamefaced son and heir in private audience chamber after the appropriate deliberations, about a month and a half after his return.

‘As you have every right to be, Father,’ Otakar replied meekly.

Tomáš clenched his fist and then unclenched it again; his face was contorted with the riot of emotions that was erupting in his breast. He found himself at a loss for words. He opened his mouth, closed it, thought a bit, and then opened it again. ‘Do you have any idea what your little affaire de cœur with that Estonian baggage very nearly cost this realm?’

‘I very nearly cost us the war. I very nearly cost countless thousands of Moravians—men of Olomouc—their lives. I might very well have cost you, the Kráľ, your liberty. I will accept any punishment you see fit to mete out upon me, Father.’

Tomáš held his greying head in his hands and let out a long sigh. ‘I have already seen fit to demote Artemie Štefánik for his role in this whole sad business. But you, Otakar—what can I do with you?’

‘I have shown that I cannot be trusted to find a suitable woman,’ Otakar told his father listlessly. ‘If you will permit it, I shall divest myself of all properties, titles and claims, and retire to a monastery.’

‘That is the one thing I will not permit! I’m sure there are any number of cousins, uncles and the like who would be pleased to take your place as my heir. Yet you are neither a vicious nor a power-hungry child, nor are you utterly incapable and stupid, and I still feel the realm would be best left in your hands. Your banishment to the cloister would cause greater damage to us than your initial wrong did. But you have deeply shaken my trust in you. Do you see my predicament?’

‘I believe I do, Father.’

‘I can excuse some degree of naivety,’ said the king. ‘But you are twenty-eight years old. Naivety will not excuse you for much longer, and certainly not even a hair’s worth when you are sitting on this throne. Is that understood?’

‘Understood.’

‘And if it comes to finding women, I trust you will have the wisdom to be guided by your mother and myself in that regard, rather than looking willy-nilly for a woman’s company on the battlefield?’

‘I will.’

‘Then, as punishment for what you have done, I am cutting you off for half a year,’ said Tomáš. ‘You shall find lodging in town, do useful work with your hands, deal with people—perhaps gain some sense.’

Otakar bowed stiffly and left the audience chamber. He didn’t see the tears in his father’s eyes.

~~~​

Artemie was waiting outside for Otakar.

‘How did it go?’ he asked nervously.

Otakar told him what had transpired, and what his father’s answer had been—though he left out the part about volunteering to take monastic vows.

‘Listen—Otakar, the whole thing was my fault, really, none of yours. I should have known better than to try to get you attached to a local while we were in the middle of a war. I could… I mean, me and Naďa, we’d be more than happy to put you up for the next few months.’

‘No, I couldn’t make myself such a burden on you, my friend!’ Otakar shook his head. ‘Besides, between the two of us, you got the worse punishment. I’ll be back in my place in six months. I’m not sure how long it will take you to regain your captain’s sash.’

‘Don’t worry about that. I’ve had to fight for everything I had to begin with; fighting to get it back is no different. And you—! You are no burden,’ said Artemie. ‘Naďa and I owe all to you. Oh, by the way…’

‘What?’

Artemie grinned.

‘No!’

‘Well,’ Artemie coughed and shrugged, ‘early days yet. But the old women say she’s showing the signs.’

‘God be praised!’ Otakar exclaimed, clasping his friend’s hands. ‘This is—this is wonderful! It’s a miracle! And less than two months after we’re back!’

‘Well, it’s not like there aren’t remedies,’ Artemie said, crossing himself. ‘I did send her that blessed icon from Moskva. And of course you gave us your prayers. But on the more mundane side… Naďa had been taking advantage of some of the more exotic offerings in the marketplace that have become available. Fertility treatments from Thessaly and Georgia, and even further afield.’

eu4_1158a.png

‘God blesses all means which are not sinful,’ Otakar noted.

‘Evidently He does,’ Artemie marvelled. ‘Although… I don’t like the fact that Plzeň seems to have benefitted from this recent blossoming of trade, far out of proportion to its importance. That does not strike me as owing to “means which are not sinful”, if you get my drift.’

‘I’m afraid I don’t,’ said the Crown Prince.

‘Well…’ Artemie confided in his younger friend, ‘you didn’t hear it from me, but apparently a certain someone in the inner Zhromaždenie has been funnelling funds for prime contracts to his friends and associates in western Bohemia.’

Now the Crown Prince got his drift. ‘Ah.’

eu4_1159a.png

The Ditrichštejn family might have the core of their honour in Moravia, but one member of that family did have some rather extensive holdings in Plzeň, as well as professional and other relationships among the burghers there through his wife.

Actually, all-in-all, the town-dwelling classes—not so much the traditional artisans as the more adroit merchants, the more respected professionals and new gentry—had managed to weather the vagaries of the age quite well. Kráľ Tomáš had concentrated his efforts on reining in the powers and privileges of the nobility, as well as those of the Church when the Church overstepped its bounds… and the new bourgeoisie had managed to step quite nicely into the power vacuum left by these struggles between the other estates.

The ways in which they had exercised that power had been, to Tomáš’s mind (and Otakar’s too), distasteful to say the least. In order to avert another agrarian and monetary crisis, of the sort which had arisen in Bohemia nearly two hundred years ago, Tomáš had instituted hard price ceilings on grain. The burghers, who had been quite supportive of the Kráľ in his limitations on noble and churchly power to that point, turned against him with a vengeance at this unwanted intrusion on their trading privileges.

eu4_1166a.png
eu4_1166b.png
eu4_1167a.png

‘So, what do you say?’ asked Artemie.

‘Mm?’

‘About a place to stay. Naďa and I would be happy to have you with us!’

‘Seeing that you won’t take no for an answer, I’d be happy to take you up on it,’ laughed Otakar.

~~~​

Otakar thus spent the following six months no less the worse for wear, and the Štefánikovcov were more than happy to host him during his temporary banishment from Olomouc Castle. For his part, the Crown Prince tried to uphold the spirit of his banishment. He found work as a clerk in a local merchant warehouse: a quite suitable match for the Crown Prince’s skills in stewardship, and one in which he got to meet a fair number of people. However another in his station in life might think work even in such conditions to be beneath him, Otakar accepted his kingly father’s penitential tasks meekly and in a spirit of selflessness which might be thought suitable for a monk or a hermit.

In the meanwhile, the miracle for which the inhabitants of the house praised God over and over again became more and more apparent within Nadeža’s womb as her term progressed. The jubilant expectation which hung over the household was infectious, and Otakar couldn’t help but grinning when he saw his friend and his friend’s wife thus happy together.

‘Have you thought of a name yet?’ asked Otakar.

‘If it’s a boy—Matej after my father,’ said Artemie. ‘If it’s a girl—Karolína.’

‘Steady on,’ Naďa brushed aside one stray lock of her coppery hair. ‘This is news to me. I thought we were going to name our child Dimitro if it’s a boy, and Anastasija if it’s a girl!’

‘Dimitro and Anastasija…!’ Artemie shook his head disbelievingly. ‘How Rusin…!’

‘Need I remind you that our children will be half-Rusin?’

‘If it’s a boy, what about Vojtech?’ suggested Otakar.

No!’ Artemie and Naďa exclaimed together.

The disagreements over baby names were for the most part handled lightly between the still deep-in-love couple. To tell truth, at the age of thirty-eight the two of them were simply glad to be expecting a child at all; whatever name it was given would be a welcome one to both Otec and Mama’s ears.

Otakar was just about ready to move back into Olomouc Castle when Nadeža went into labour. The midwife was summoned and the birthing-room was prepared at the house, and Artemie and Otakar both waited outside on tenterhooks as the muffled sounds of the agonising work of childbirth came through the door. At last the father was summoned inside, and Otakar was left to wait in the hall.

When Artemie opened up the door again, he held something indescribably precious and joyous in his arms, and presented Otakar with the face of his lovely baby daughter. She was small for a newborn, but her irises were already turning to a clear and bright sea-green, and it was clear that her hair would be of her father’s fair colour when it was fully dry.

‘She’ll be christened Vasilisa,’ said Artemie. ‘Naďa and I finally agreed. Same meaning as Karolína—actually rather a promotion, “Empress” instead of “Queen”—and Rusin enough for her tastes.’

‘She is adorable,’ said Otakar fondly.

Otakar was summoned to the castle mere hours after Vasilisa’s birth and was in close attendance in the Zhromaždenie in the following months, and so one of Nadeža’s female Rusnakov relatives was called to serve as sponsor when she was churched. But Otakar continued to visit the Štefánikovcov frequently after his return to grace.

~~~

eu4_1163a.png
eu4_1174a.png

Artemie’s promotion to his former rank of captain was not long in following—not because Tomáš had readily forgiven him for misleading his son, but rather because military talents were becoming more and more difficult to find and promote. The old, loyal and proven Štefánik service to the Crown was something the Kráľ could ill afford to toss aside. And for his part, Captain Artemie was happy to receive his increase in pay in order to support his new daughter.

The flourishing of the Štefánik family, however, was something of a sign of the times. A huge festival was held in Olomouc in order to celebrate a particularly prosperous year. The city centre of Olomouc in particular, thanks to the renovations undertaken by Siloš Syrový and those whom he contracted, had become something of an architectural masterwork once again. The public houses in Olomouc, and the drawing-rooms of the more prominent families, had become veritable magnets for assorted painters, sculptors, poets, natural scientists, intellectuals and others, whose dreams and projects created a new bloom in Olomouc’s artistic culture. Several more of Siloš’s projects were put into motion at the Kráľ’s orders, and soon the streets and bridges and walls and even drainage systems—the urban infrastructure of Olomouc—became the envy of Europe both east and west.

eu4_1164a.png
eu4_1171a.png

Rural matters were not neglected either. In Brno, the project which the Church had insisted upon in exchange for their patronage of Syrový—a large series of modernised rural estates which were to be placed under the control of the monastic houses—began to progress in earnest.

Kráľ Tomáš moved quickly also to consolidate the gains he’d made in the north. He quickly appointed regional administrators and a local gendarmerie that was loyal without question to the Crown, both in Krakov and in Chenciny. Both populaces were of dubious loyalty, and still felt a definite kinship with Galicia rather than Moravia, so some degree of firmness in home affairs in those two voivodeships was a grim but unavoidable necessity.

Unfortunately, what this focus in the north meant—what with the fortification and consolidation of Moravian rule in the Lesser Polish lands, and the claim against East Francia on Zhořelec—was that Moravia’s interests in the south, in Pest and in Batsch, had to be allowed to lapse. The diplomatic corps were no longer able to argue effectively that the interests of Orthodox peoples in those cities and in the surrounding countryside constituted a valid pretext for Moravia to protect them.

eu4_1169a.png
eu4_1170a.png
eu4_1168a.png

Last edited:
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Sweden is in Prussia? Ah, CK, always making such strange borders...

On a more serious note, it seems the Kral was taken in by a honey trap. Hopefully he can recover from that disaster and find love again... but I fear that he will always be wary of betrayal now. At least the war was salvaged. Is that a silver lining here?

Yeah, it's true that in OTL Sweden did have some noble claims on Polish lands, but this was a bit difficult to RP.

It was actually the Crown Prince who got honey-trapped, rather than the King; apologies if that was unclear. But yeah, he's definitely going to have some trust issues.

And yes, Moravia did win the war. The territories that Moravia got out of it were largely worth it, though they prove tempting targets for several decades after this.

Reactions:
Yeah, I got confused as to Tomas and Otakar's positions. At least the punishment wasn't too harsh, and I rather think that it proves that Otakar will make a good king - not too proud and willing to humble himself.

A shame about the southern claims, though. On the bright side, it looks like the Crown Prince's friend has a kid! I wonder if, once Otakar finds someone, his kids will get along with her?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Thirty-Five
THIRTY-FIVE.
It’s Scientific

1 March 1583 – 1 January 1587

eu4_1180a.png

Kráľ Tomáš 2. and Kráľovná Milomíra oversaw an era in Moravian history that was nothing less than revolutionary. The combined advent of Jonáš Lenárt’s Cyrillic typesetting and Leoš Přibyl’s automatic knitting machine placed Moravia at the cutting edge of innovation—not only in the Slavonic-speaking European East, but in Europe as a whole. The infusion of the botanical and physical observations of the late Sámi scientist Bážá Ruigi had been an additional spur to this general atmosphere of innovation.

In addition, the mathematician and astronomer Timotej Chrén—a graduate of the monastic school in Olomouc—had applied for, and been granted, a fund to construct a customised observatory in his Western Slovak home village of Stará Ďala, completed in 1579, from which he had been able to observe planetary motions. Unlike many others in Western Europe, who met the mathematical models of Pomeranian Greek-Catholic natural scientist Mikołaj Kopernik with derision and scorn as the ravings of a crackpot, Chrén was intrigued by his calculations and attempted to demonstrate them decisively through his observations. In 1584, Chrén published the Rozpracovanie predpokladov revolúcie planét, which stood staunchly by Mikołaj Kopernik’s mathematical models, and furthermore subjected them to additional empirical proofs.

eu4_1182a.png

Chrén’s book led to a general uproar in Moravia and throughout Europe. His work was read with marked (if cautious) interest in the Papal State, though the Pope refused to support Chrén’s conclusions pending further study. It was roundly condemned, however, in both Carpathia and Austria, with the Austrian monarch going so far as to put out a bounty on Chrén for him to be brought to Wien to stand both ecclesiastical and civil trials for spreading heretical beliefs. Tomáš, however, responded to this news by issuing a writ of protection upon Chrén’s person, and stationing gendarmes inside and around Stará Ďala to enforce it.

Tomáš’s patronage of such ‘novelties’ often took place over the suspicions and objections of the Orthodox Christian clergy, which viewed them as suspect at best, and Satanic at worst. But the military largely embraced them. Ruslav z Rožmberka spearheaded the adoption of the slimáček tactic for the Moravian cavalry: allowing them to approach an infantry line and do a tight double turn at the last minute instead of charging in, giving them an opportunity to discharge both their pistols and then retreat behind the infantry line to reload for another charge.

eu4_1181a.png
eu4_1175a.png
eu4_1176a.png

Although Moravia no longer had a navy, the Moravian government nonetheless also followed with interest the development of the Neustrian galleass—a full-rigged vessel based on the design of the galley, but with an additional gun deck and an additional sail, built for pursuit. Moravian diplomats worked to bring back from Neustria (through an act of industrial espionage) prints for this vessel, and engineers were able to reverse-adapt the engineering principles behind them into the development of new kinds of manufactories.

The sudden death of Lotár z Ditrichštejna came as something of a shock to the Moravian state, though not everyone was sad to see him go. Many Moravians, particularly from the eastern regions, resented Lotár’s dubious expenditures and his biased patronage of Plzeň. The matter of his replacement, however, created some additional problems. The choice of Ctibor Sokol, an Eastern Slovak nobleman with a similar knack for administration, to succeed Lotár z Ditrichštejna, prompted accusations of nepotism and corruption: Kráľovná Milomíra was a Sokolová, and Kráľ Tomáš was a half-Sokol.

eu4_1177a.png
eu4_1178a.png
eu4_1183a.png

Yet Ctibor himself quickly put such qualms to rest. Despite his family ties to the royal Rychnovských, he not only did not abuse his position, but he also brought a formidable level of competence and panache to his advisory role. He encouraged Tomáš in his promulgation not only of just laws and regulations, but also their regular and even-handed enforcement. Even if Tomáš’s rule was considered at times by each of the three estates to be heavy-handed and autocratic, even the most disgruntled of them had to admit that at least Tomáš’s governance was uniformly so.

~~~​

‘Rodźisław!’ Tomáš embraced his kinsman as he arrived with his state delegation in Olomouc.

‘It is good to see you, Tomášik,’ the Hrabja of Drježdźany returned the hug with warmth.

‘And who have we here?’ asked the Kráľ, kneeling and observing the dark-avised young lad toddling by Rodźisław’s side. ‘You must be Ulík!’

The young lad Ulrich Rychnovský, Rodźisław’s son, nodded shyly at the strange, grey-bearded man smiling down at him, and clung to the leg of his attentive caretaker—the redoubtable šafár of Drježdźany, Awgust Jakobic. Rodźisław looked down fondly at his heir.

‘He just turned one this past year,’ said the proud father.

eu4_1192a.png

‘Well, well,’ said Tomáš. ‘In that case we shall have to give you a gift. What say you, Ulík?’

Tomáš then presented Ulík decorously with a brightly-painted, hand-whittled whirling top. The child received the colourful bauble with clear gratitude and joy, favouring the Kráľ with a heartwarming grin.

‘And that isn’t the only gift I intend to give,’ said the Kráľ to Rodźisław.

‘Everything is on paper, then, I take it?’ asked the Hrabja.

‘Ready and awaiting your seal.’

The Hrabja produced the large, embossed metal ring—the priceless Rychnovský heirloom with which he would conclude the agreement, but his face was thoughtful rather than overjoyed. Certainly he was not as enthusiastic about the Kráľ’s pending ‘gift’ as his son was. ‘I am, of course, happy to accept what you are graciously bestowing, cousin, on the terms which you offer. Hłohow is a prosperous town most happily situated for trade. Yet I am not insensible to what accepting it would mean for Drježdźany: it would mean adding over 130 miles to our border with East Francia.’

‘That it would.’

eu4_1191a.png

‘Tell me, then, cousin,’ Rodźisław asked Tomáš, ‘how should the shield feel towards its master at being painted in colours as bright as that top you gave my son, when the blades are falling upon it?’

‘That I can’t rightly say,’ Tomáš owned honestly. ‘I certainly understand your perspective. And I wouldn’t dare to command gratitude of you: that would be churlish. I can only urge you to accept with grace.’

Rodźisław 2. Rychnovský himself was not an ingrate, and he did indeed accept with grace that which was offered to him: the Silesian town of Hłohow and its environs were indeed added to the comital lands of Drježdźany, free and clear, with all tax receipts from the town being directed to Budyšín—and those were some nice, fat tax receipts indeed. But with regard to security: it had always been clear that Moravia had intended to use Drježdźany as a buffer state to shore up its border with East Francia, but that was doubly clear now, as the East Francian claim to the town of ‘Groß-Glogau’ was yet fresh.

eu4_1193a.png

‘Awgust,’ Rodźisław summoned his loyal šafár that night after the signing. Awgust was not particularly demonstrative, but the Hrabja felt his servant to be practically buoyant this evening.

‘Yes, môj Pán?’

‘See to it that the keys to Hłohow Castle are safely bestowed at Budyšín. You might also check in with General Tillich, to ensure that we have an additional two thousand recruits for the infantry.’

Awgust Jakobic bowed with a flourish.

‘By the way… how is Dźiwona doing?’

Awgust beamed. ‘I just received word she delivered, praise God—both she and the babe are healthy. It’s a little girl. We’re naming her Anet.’

‘Congratulations,’ Rodźisław answered Awgust. ‘What say you to a little celebratory drink later?’

‘I would be honoured, môj Pán.’

~~~​

Vasilisa Štefánikova was growing at an alarming rate, though she’d already had to make room in her parents’ hearts for a second miracle in the form of a little brother, Pavol. In truth, she was somewhere between her mother and her father in colouring: her hair was of a strawberry-blonde shade, and her eyes were a fine glass-green. She was a bit to the pudgy side, with a noticeable belly and a pair of full, round, rosy cheeks… but not only was she also quite active, but she could be quite protective and caring of little Pavol.

Still, sometimes…

Lisa!’ cried Nadeža. ‘Put your brother down now!’

Vasilisa had been playing with her brother on the windowsill, and she’d made the mistake of picking him up while it was open. Her mother advanced on her threateningly, and she gently and apologetically put Pavol down—then attempted to scamper. But she wasn’t quite quick enough to avoid her mother’s hand and then the heel of her shoe.

Artemie came upon this scene, and Vasilisa at once ran to him and clung to him. Her mother was still quite angry, though Lisa understood quite well that it was for good reason.

Our daughter was holding our son out the open window!’ Nadeža folded her arms and glared at the girl.

‘Won’t do it again!’ Lisa squeaked.

‘I don’t think she meant to hurt him or put him in danger,’ Artemie said.

‘No, of course she didn’t,’ Nadeža said, exasperated, ‘but that’s no excuse for carelessness. I’ve worked too hard and waited too long for these children; I won’t lose one of them to the other’s inattention!’

‘Of course not, dear,’ Artemie told her.

Once a more acceptable punishment was agreed on and Lisa and Pavol were put to bed, Artemie joined Nadeža once more.

‘Any news from the court?’ asked Nadeža.

‘Good news, albeit indirectly,’ said Artemie. ‘Looks like the North isn’t large enough for the two largest kingdoms of severané up there; the East Geats are now attempting to seize the south of Finland from Garderike. All this suits Moravia quite well: when two enemies are fighting each other, there’s little enough reason for either of them to come and bother us.’

eu4_1179a.png

Nadeža crossed herself, but still thanked God that her husband wouldn’t be called up to fight.

‘Closer to home…’ Artemie fingered his moustache a bit, ‘a number of the soldiers under my command are telling me about the conditions their families are living in. The ones living on the outskirts of Olomouc tell me it’s rather wretched out there. People who come to labour in the manufactories are kept in rather dismal hovels and ramshackle apartments. Refuse and disease are running rampant: priests out there do more funerals than any other liturgical service, so I hear.’

‘Is anything being done to help them?’ asked Naďa.

‘The king has ordered the military to step in to do some of the needful digging and carpentry work,’ Artemie said. ‘I’m due for a supervisory shift out in Neředín this coming week. And the gendarmerie has been called up to enforce some semblance of law in the outskirts. There are already temporary royal courts set up in Chválkovice, Holice and Řepčín. The other two districts will be getting them hopefully before the year is out.’

eu4_1185a.png
eu4_1184a.png

‘That work isn’t too dangerous, I hope—either for you or for them.’

‘No, but it’s mostly drudgery. Still, I intend to see it done correctly.’

‘Spoken like my hardworking husband,’ Naďa said fondly.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
There's a bit of domestic life for Artemie here, which is nice.

Moravia's enemies in the North fighting should allow them to focus on the South or internally. We'll see what route they take.

What are these theories of Chren's? Just heliocentrism?

• 2Like
Reactions:
There's a bit of domestic life for Artemie here, which is nice.

I know it's a bit of a B-plot currently. But as @filcat would doubtless assure: it does become A-plot later.

Moravia's enemies in the North fighting should allow them to focus on the South or internally. We'll see what route they take.

What are these theories of Chren's? Just heliocentrism?

The two Norse powers fighting does give Moravia a nice little breather from war and rumours thereof, yes.

I made Chrén something of an ITL mishmash of Tycho Brahe and Galileo Galilei, albeit (so far) less ill-fated. Yes: heliocentrist, and empirical astronomer. I also took the route of making Kopernik a personage ITL just to give a frame of reference for the entire scientific revolution that is currently taking place.

Reactions:
Act I Chapter Thirty-Six
THIRTY-SIX.
Productivity, Plague and Purkyne

17 February 1587 – 11 December 1591

I.
17 February 1587 – 1 October 1588

‘I’m sorry, Father, but my answer is no.’

‘To which one?’

‘To both.’

‘You stubborn boy!’ growled the Kráľ. ‘What’s wrong with them?’

‘Do you want my honest opinion, Father?’ Otakar checked.

‘I did ask. You must answer.’

‘Well, with regard to Ľudmila,’ said Otakar, ‘she is simply too fey, too flighty. She moves about in the æther. Her attention is distracted by any little thing, especially something pretty. She pays more mind to her paintings than to her appearance or her general manners. Forgive me, but such a person hardly strikes me as a reliable marriage-partner.’

Tomáš sighed. ‘I see. And Wesselényi?’

‘Dorota Wesselényi? The Magyar?’ Otakar clenched his fists. ‘That woman is a stodgy, strident, self-righteous zealot! And a zealot not according to knowledge either, but a partizan of the Pope in Rome! I can’t believe you’d even consider matching me to her!’

eu4_1195a.png

‘But, her religious views notwithstanding, she is a capable, dependable, intelligent woman,’ Tomáš told him. ‘You can’t have it both ways, you know. And you must marry—soon. I’m not getting any younger, you know, and I’d be far happier going to my fathers knowing I had a grandson to carry on the line!’

Otakar shook his head. ‘But I won’t be pushed into it, Father. And certainly not with just anyone! If it comes to such a choice as this I will join a monastery!’

Tomáš’s face reddened. ‘You—insolent, perverse—!’

Otakar stood and bore his father’s stream of invective calmly and stoically, but he would not be moved from his conviction. When his father dismissed him at last, Tomáš was left frustrated and bewildered by his son’s lack of initiative and stubborn unwillingness to settle down to the business of having children. But it was true: he couldn’t very well force Otakar to marry against his will.

~~~

eu4_1199a.png

The business of the realm was now a welcome respite from these family disputes. Much more satisfactory to him was the report that the farm estates around Brno had been completed. The clergy were once again happy with Tomáš’s administration, and the prosperity which the proceeds from the new farm estates brought to the elder capital at Velehrad and the newer town of Brno in turn gave the Moravian crown tax rolls a nice, comfortable margin. The brilliance and perspicacity of Kráľ Tomáš’s rule was once again lauded by all and sundry within the Morava Valley.

And now it was time for the Stavovské Zhromaždenie to vote on a new proposal.

Given Tomáš’s recent crackdown on the merchants of Moravia and his institution of price controls on grain, the representatives of the urban estate in the Zhromaždenie took their seats stiffly and joined the deliberations of the assembly in a most combative mood. They fully assumed that the Kráľ would be once again taking his own initiative, and their primary hope was to defend their own privileges and prerogatives from further encroachment by a run-amok royal authority. As such, they came in fully prepared with declamations and protestations against the God-hating and impious tyranny of the Moravian Crown.

eu4_1200a.png
eu4_1200b.png

It was therefore rather disarming to them, when Kráľ Tomáš not only listened, but took an active interest in the proposal of the Bratislava bourgeoisie to improve the production efficiency inside Trenčín, by establishing a workshop or a counting-house in that town. The Kráľ asked questions which were not only intelligent, but insightful, and he guided the deliberations in ways which made the Bratislava proposal appear in its most favourable light. The wind was taken fully out of the burghers’ sails, though they weren’t about to be satisfied in this matter with mere promises.

Another pleasurable matter for the Kráľ was a diplomatic one. One of Pomerania’s former vassals, the Wojwoda Siemowit of Poznań, approached Moravia for the establishment of royal marriage ties. Unfortunately Otakar also rejected the suit of the Polish young lady, whom he felt was insincere—again, much to the annoyance and frustration of his father. One of Otakar’s younger sisters, however, was happy to step in and marry one of Siemowit’s cousins.

eu4_1207a.png

~~~

eu4_1210a.png

The construction of workshops in Trenčín proceeded apace, bankrolled by the Crown coffers and supported by the notables of Bratislava.

In the meantime, the military continued, spurred by a general spirit of inquiry and empiricism, to experiment with new types of formations and new types of tactics. The Moravian military began using more effective supply lines with rear guards, allowing for quicker troop movement speeds, as well as establishing a regular bureaucracy that could respond immediately in the event of new recruits needing to be called up. In addition, the divisions en tiers of the Neustrian infantry began to be improved upon by Moravian quartermasters. By using shallower lines and focussed fire, Moravian commanders quickly discovered that they could gain a significant degree of mobility and manœuvre by sacrificing only a little bit of line depth. The adroitness, with which the new lines could move, opened up the opportunity for a new charge tactic for the infantry.

eu4_1209a.png
eu4_1211a.png

In the middle of March of 1588, however, several weeks into Great Lent, a sudden outbreak of the ‘red plague’—smallpox—engulfed Budějovice, and spread throughout Moravia, Bohemia, and beyond. Hardly a family in the town was unscathed by the epidemic. Despite attempts at variolation, the disease laid many, particularly among the poor and the working class, in the cold ground.

But the wealthy were not exempt from the disease.

The terrible news came quickly from Drježdźany, that little Ulrich Rychnovský—the son and heir of Hrabja Rodźisław—had succumbed to the disease, suffering severe hæmorrhages as a result of complications from the illness. He breathed his last in late September of 1588, leaving his father heartbroken. Tomáš was also grieved by this news; Ulík had been a fine boy.

And closer to home…

‘I came as soon as I could,’ Otakar said to Artemie. ‘I only just heard. Is she—?’

Artemie’s face was grave and haggard, as though he hadn’t slept the night gone by. ‘The doctor just left. It’s the red plague. He administered the treatment, but the disease still has to run its course.’

‘May I see her?’ asked Otakar.

eu4_1208a.png

Artemie took Otakar by the arms. ‘You’re too good, Crown Prince. I can’t risk you being infected, though. And my Lisa—she’s not going to be a pretty sight to look at.’

‘I know. I just wanted to be with her. Let her know she’s not alone.’

Artemie gave his friend’s arms a gentle squeeze. ‘Come within, then.’

Otakar spent the next days visiting with Vasilisa Štefánikova. It was true, the disease had taken a sharp turn with her. Her normally smooth, rosy round cheeks were now nearly unrecognisable from the raised red rash that was characteristic of the disease. But Otakar stayed with her, assured her, gave her fresh water to drink and blankets if she became chilled. But for the most part he just sat by her bedside with her. For her part, Vasilisa was more than grateful to have Otakar there. The ten-year-old girl knew of the friendship between her father and the Crown Prince from an intellectual perspective. But this was the first time she’d really felt it.

Otakar’s presence gave her a courage which she didn’t know she had. The wracking fever, the unbearable aching and itching of her skin, the energy which had drained from all of her body, leaving her weak and thin and frail, and the ever-present, ever-fearsome chance that she might not survive another night—all this would have overwhelmed her utterly, if the kind-hearted and handsome prince with the sandy brown hair and moustache hadn’t been sitting by her. For her part, when she was wakeful, she felt she could watch him for hours in silence, and never be bored.

Otakar stayed there until the fever turned, and until the pustules on her skin began to subside and scab over. Vasilisa was still thin and wasted, but the doctor was satisfied that her flesh would heal cleanly, and that, God willing, she might not even be left with the characteristic pitted scars on her face from the illness. None was happier to hear this news than Vasilisa herself.

But Vasilisa nonetheless found herself with a problem.

A girl who had only but barely reached menarche, as she had a mere two months before the disease struck, found that even her skinny, weak, still-recovering body could awake to the ravenous prickings of want, that could send her young heart hammering against her ribcage and her blood surging into her cheeks. Whenever Otakar was nearby, conversing with her father as he often did, or even simply within view of her in the house, she became insufferably awkward. Her knees weakened, her hands fidgeted, her throat caught, her tongue didn’t work, and she didn’t know what to do with herself. But then whenever he left, she felt that a string of her heart had been torn out of her with him, and she began to pine after him. For some bewildering reason unknown to her, Vasilisa could do nothing but think of his face, his neck, his hands, his strong shoulders, his gentle voice.

Of course, Otakar was utterly oblivious to this effect that he had on his best friend’s daughter, whom he had known since birth. He chalked up her sudden gawkishness and taciturn manners first to the illness, and then to the vagaries of recovery and growth. He had no inkling that his best friend’s daughter was suffering her first tender, aching puppy love… and still less that he was its object!

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that's... awkward. Let's hope it passes.

The marriage issue does need to be solved, although I'm shocked a Catholic was even considered. The outrage of the Orthodox Church wouldn't be minor if such an arrangement were to occur...

• 2Like
Reactions:
II.
5 November 1588 – 11 December 1591

‘Good news from Biela Rus’, it appears,’ Naďa remarked to her husband. ‘At least to the royal family. Yet another Rychnovský seems poised to seize the throne!’

‘The art of the diplomatic marriage is not lost on Kráľ Tomáš,’ Captain Artemie Štefánik answered her.

eu4_1217a.png

‘Yet it is a rather strange thing,’ Naďa went on. ‘Why should Otakar be so averse to marrying? Your friend is something of a rare bachelor in the line. He’s not… you know, like his grandfather, is he?’

The topic of the parents’ conversation became instantly of interest to the elder of their two children, though Vasilisa Štefánikova took great care not to let that interest show. Her fair ears, however, turned a rather becoming shade of pink as they eavesdropped with intent.

‘No,’ Artemie sighed. ‘He certainly likes women. He just hasn’t had a lot of luck. Not for want of trying.’

‘You told me what happened in Garderike,’ Naďa said.

‘My fault, I fear, entirely,’ Artemie said. ‘I was trying to do him a good turn, but she had me hoodwinked every bit as much as him.’

‘But surely there must be other willing women out there. It’s not like a royal will go wanting for lack of attention!’

‘Willing women? Oh, indeed. All too many,’ Artemie gave a dry, humourless chuckle. ‘But it isn’t the quantity that Otakar finds lacking, but the quality of the attention. I’ll just put it this way: he’s having difficulty finding a woman who can neatly separate her attraction to his character from that to his office or to his prospects.’

‘Ahh,’ Naďa breathed perspicaciously. ‘Lots of women dream of marrying a prince, but he’s worried none might want to marry him. Does that make a lot of difference, though?’

‘To him it does.’

‘Poor man,’ Naďa said sympathetically.

Vasilisa heard, and felt, and commiserated. Her young mind—as yet entirely inexperienced in love, yet with the sort of boundless and vivid imagination common to early teens—depicted Otakar’s plight to her in the tenderest and most sentimental of hues: a paragon of love attempting to bare his noble and worthy heart to a series of vain, silly, self-centred and cruel villainesses, who did nothing but trample on it. Hearing this she set her heart ever more firmly on the heartbroken and disappointed older man, the man who had been so gentle and sweet and caring to her on her sickbed. She made the determination to be the balm for his aching soul, to be his true companion, to cherish him as these other women had not done. First, though, she needed to work up the courage… and that was easier said than done.

~~~

eu4_1213a.png

Eastern Orthodox theological texts had certainly been available in Western European languages prior to 1590. Little localised enclaves of Orthodoxy had been present in such places as Bedford, England; Sjælland, Sweden; Provence; Corsica; northern Italy. As such, manuscript translations of Greek Church classics and Patristic texts existed in the English, Swedish and French languages in various monasteries and private libraries. But only with Bayern’s embrace of the technology of the printing press that year did Orthodox texts in a Latin script become widely available… in the southern German dialect of that kingdom. The Bavarian Orthodox clergy were also considerably less opposed to the use of the new technology once they saw the potential uses to which it could be put for the glory of God.

The year 1590 also saw the first real opposition, in Moravia, to Kráľ Tomáš’s attempts at centralisation.

Nový Sadec, which had long been the seat of the Aqhazar family, had always been fairly independent of the Crown, particularly since the reign of Radomír 4. It retained its own laws and its own traditions. However, the Moravian Crown had always retained rights of overlordship of certain manor holdings in the countryside around that town, going all the way back to the reign of Kráľ Pravoslav.

eu4_1218a.png

Those holdings were currently under threat. The noble families which lived around that town had been carefully threading their way through the legal systems in both Sadec and Olomouc, taking advantage of certain loopholes and customary ambiguities in order to expand their holdings at the Crown’s expense. Eventually, this state of affairs became known to Tomáš’s šafár, who advised the king to curb the Sadec nobles’ cupidity at once.

Tomáš 2., naturally, did. And the first target of his reclamation of former Crown lands was not the Aqhazars, but a nobleman named Ostromír Purkyne. Purkyne was not the most egregious or rapacious of the local nobles, but he was among the best-connected, and his family had numerous ties to Olomouc. Tomáš targeted his holdings first, because he wanted to set a firm example. Purkyne was also, however, among the brashest, most boastful and most reckless of the nobility. Fighting ran in his blood, and his honour was not lightly touched. Ostromír Purkyne soon raised his flag in revolt against the Moravian Crown, and a rather distressing number of Sadec nobles joined him. Soon he had an army of ten thousand ready to seize back the lands he had held.

eu4_1219a.png

Purkyne’s Rebellion, as it came to be known, was brief but bloody. The troops that were sent out to quell Ostromír Purkyne’s uprising went without anyone in high command, and there was no way for them to reach Purkyne’s positions without fording the Dunajec at a vulnerable point. Purkyne knew this, and exploited it to its full effect. The Battle of the Dunajec was thus horrifically sanguinary, in large part owing to the poor organisation of the Moravian Second Army.

‘The gunsmoke was a thick pall,’ recounted one Moravian soldier in his diary, ‘and the cries and shouts of the dying were everywhere. The accursed Dunajec was choked with the bodies of those who fell… I could smell the stink of the blood as it darkened the water around my boots—I vomited twice in the river before I reached the other side. God preserve us evermore from such disorder!’

eu4_1220a.png

eu4_1221a.png

In the end, even though the Moravian Army succeeded in pushing Purkyne out of Nový Sadec, they had lost nearly six thousand troops in the crossing. Purkyne fled into the Beskids. It would be six months before he was run to earth and brought to swift justice at the end of a halter.

~~~​

Siloš Syrový died in early February the following year, at the age of fifty—stress and overwork, pushing himself beyond the natural limits of his body, had weakened his heart.

In his place, the 63-year-old king appointed a captain of the army, Oleg Karásek ze Lvovic. The reasoning behind such a choice was obvious. After the ominous Pyrrhic victory against Purkyne on the Dunajec, Tomáš clearly felt that the army was in firm need of greater discipline and organisation: Oleg Karásek certainly had the field experience necessary to provide such. Sadly, as subsequent events would prove, he would not be equal to the task before him of adequately disciplining and reorganising the Moravian Army before a true disaster struck.

eu4_1223a.png
eu4_1224a.png

Vladimír 2. Óskyldr died, leaving the throne to his nephew Ivan Rychnovský. Despite the new ties of blood that bound the Moravian royal family to that of Biela Rus’, Biela Rus’ did not renew the ties of royal marriage that had assured warm relations between the two countries. The reason for this was simple, obvious and motivated entirely by geopolitical interest: Moravia’s close ties to Great Rus’ were a threat to the integrity of White Rus’. The new Knyaz’ Ivan Rychnovský made the fateful choice to begin building ties to Galicia-Volhynia instead.

And the question of Otakar’s marriage became again an ever-more pressing issue.

eu4_1225a.png

Otakar stubbornly and temperamentally rejected all attempts at approach by suitable women, and resumed his threats of taking himself off to a monastery and cutting all ties to the world. But anyone could see he would make a poor monk. It was as though he was deliberately conducting himself to spite his father, and many were the sleepless nights that Milomíra had to comfort her husband or keep him from tearing his hair out over his son. But Otakar himself was none the happier for behaving this way.

Moravia continued, despite its landlocked status, to keep abreast of developments in Western Europe. The designs for the galleass were replaced by those for the galleon, a carvel-built Neustrian ship of three decks and three masts, capable of hauling five hundred tonnes of cargo, or forty heavy guns worth of firepower. The plans for the galleon were quickly furnished to the Budějovice blacksmiths, who did significant cheap with coastal powers on subsequent orders of short-bore cannon for these new ships.

eu4_1228a.png
eu4_1230a.png

In addition, Moravian military strategists continued to develop the supply line, particularly after the mishap with Joosip Paijkull’s advance on Olomouc during the war with Garderike. Not only was the manpower better balanced between fighting troops and resupply personnel, but the security between the supply lines was enhanced with stables interspersed along the routes for easy travel and carriage of messages between them. With luck, the Moravians wouldn’t be caught off guard like that again.

~~~​

A new painting had been unveiled in the Great Hall at Olomouc Castle. The forty-year-old Crown Prince was inspecting the depiction of the legendary Libuše embracing a rather down-at-heel Přemysl Oráč in the middle of his field. The work was, to put it lightly, not entirely to Otakar’s pious tastes. He saw it as rather a melodramatic and exaggerated work—it had been done in the Mannerist style that was en vogue in the Papal States and Austria. Yet it was now the policy of the Crown to patronise such works, and space had to be made for it.

eu4_1229a.png

‘It’s lovely,’ said a small voice at Otakar’s side.

He started, turning, but then let out a sigh of relief and recognition at the strawberry-blonde updo and the slender curve of a milky-white neck. ‘Oh, Lisa, it’s only you. I rather thought that—well. Never mind. You… like it, then?’

If Otakar had any inkling of how Vasilisa felt, he might have phrased that better. The words ‘it’s only you’ struck at her heart with the force of an arrow. She felt suddenly small, insignificant; her courage was nearly taken away. But not entirely.

‘Yes,’ Vasilisa said seriously. Her hands were wringing themselves torturously and painfully in front of her, but she kept her voice level and even. ‘I mean. Libuše has found the man she loves, and despite him having nothing, he accepts her love.’

Otakar smiled wryly. ‘You make it sound so simple.’

Vasilisa’s knuckles whitened. Here was her chance. I am simple, Otakar. I am transparent to you. I’m Libuše. I don’t care about money or power. I only want your heart, because I know how good it is. Here I am. I am yours.

But what came out instead was: ‘It’s… not… simple?’

Otakar patted her head. Like she was a child. An affectionate gesture, yet she felt it as though it were a slap. ‘I’m afraid it’s not—well, not for me, anyway. I hope that at least you can find your Přemysl Oráč.’

Otakar was just about to withdraw his hand from her when Vasilisa suddenly seized it with her own hands—hard, like the madness was gripping her. Part of her was seized with dread even as she took this desperate step, and that made her grip all the tighter. Otakar, stricken, made no resistance as she took his hand and placed it firmly upon her bare neckline. Their eyes met. The space of a couple of breaths and several thunderous heartbeats passed.

Otakar withdrew his hand as delicately as possible. But now he knew, and could not unknow. And when Vasilisa turned and left, burning with mortification at what she had done and how, he was left with the problem of what to do with that knowledge.

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What is the age difference between Otakar and Vasila? The royal family usually goes for older women. Thanks

Yup. Usually the Rychnovských go for the older blondes, but there are exceptions.

Otakar was 28 when Vasilisa was born.

Well, that's... awkward. Let's hope it passes.

The marriage issue does need to be solved, although I'm shocked a Catholic was even considered. The outrage of the Orthodox Church wouldn't be minor if such an arrangement were to occur...

Heh. Awkwardness only increases from here on!

With regard to the Catholic Hungarian, I had to shoehorn her into the story somehow... EU4's random adviser generator is kind of a bear to work with.

Reactions:
That... could have gone better. This subplot is weird. I do want Otakar to find love, but him dating Vasilisa would be way too strange. Especially given that he helped set up her parents...

Reactions:
I am in agreement with @HistoryDude, this infatuation gives bad vibes. A twenty-eight-year difference, if the younger was at least twenty-five and had some life experience, would not be quite as unsettling. This is an old bachelor who is watching the girl grow up. Nakobov may borrow your characters. This would probably not be a CK episode as going without a line of succession would not be attempted. Though I did have my 16yo character betroth a 5yo and then wait another eleven years after the wedding for a child. Thanks

That... could have gone better. This subplot is weird. I do want Otakar to find love, but him dating Vasilisa would be way too strange. Especially given that he helped set up her parents...

I am in agreement with @HistoryDude, this infatuation gives bad vibes. A twenty-eight-year difference, if the younger was at least twenty-five and had some life experience, would not be quite as unsettling. This is an old bachelor who is watching the girl grow up. Nakobov may borrow your characters. This would probably not be a CK episode as going without a line of succession would not be attempted. Though I did have my 16yo character betroth a 5yo and then wait another eleven years after the wedding for a child. Thanks

Honestly, I was kind of squicked by it as well. It is not a healthy relationship on either side at this point, and @Midnite Duke's reference to Lolita is apt. But in this case I really had to work with what the game gave me--including the age of the king's consort on his succession, and an event that gets triggered a bit later. Unlike in CK3, EU4 really doesn't give you much choice as to who your consort is.

Reactions:
Interlude Three
INTERLUDE THREE.
Between Worst and Best
19 October 2021

usma02_eu4.jpg

‘Hey, look—he brought the briefcase again!’ Dalibor noted.

‘Yeah, so?’ grumped Dr Weissfeld, setting the black leather carrying case on his desk. ‘It’s my briefcase.’

‘It’s just that every time you bring the briefcase,’ Živana grinned, ‘it means we’re going to see an artefact in this history lesson.’

‘Huh. Am I getting that predictable?’ Weissfeld cracked a little smile himself. ‘Well, let me know if you can think of a better way to safely bring museum pieces into the class.’

Weissfeld took out a pair of purple latex gloves, put them on his hands, and reached into the bag to collect a static bag containing a small, irregularly-shaped piece of metal covered in several places with a milky whitish patina. The thing looked almost like a plume of feathers from the side, but the students in the first row could tell that the central shape of the metal object was cylindrical, and that it had a distinct notch toward one side.

schwarzenberg_whistle.png

‘A whistle,’ Živana observed.

The whistle,’ Weissfeld emphasized, ‘that Barón Totil von Schwarzenberg blew to rally his routed troops at the Battle of the Berounka. The single most devastating military defeat of the Moravian armed forces on Moravian territory. Ever.’

Weissfeld’s voice dropped to near a whisper as the entire class sat forward in their seats, spellbound.

Barón Schwarzenberg, you have to understand, had already suffered defeat after defeat after defeat against the armies of the Papacy. The Berounka was in many ways the last stand possible for the Moravian Army before it completely collapsed.’

With a flourish, he said:

‘There is an urban legend, in fact, that every private owner of this whistle has either taken their own life or come close to doing so… though of course, before suicide became anything other than a deep religious taboo, the owners all seem to have suffered from “sudden wasting illnesses” or “broken hearts” before their untimely demises. The whistle, you see, was supposed to have been imbued with the sense of sheer hopelessness that Barón Schwarzenberg felt at that moment.’

He passed the whistle around—still in its static bag—and when the whole class had seen it (some of them touching it far more gingerly than others), Dr Weissfeld replaced it in his black briefcase.

‘But… that’s just an urban legend.’

‘Why the gloves and the static bag, then?’ asked Ľutobor.

‘How else would you expect me to let children handle a 400-year-old whistle?’ Dr Weissfeld answered. ‘Wouldn’t have any friends left in the museum if I returned artefacts to them in that condition, would I? Anyhow…’

Weissfeld clicked his display controller, and the EnerGrafix presentation shifted to the following slide. There was suddenly a vast painted depiction of a pitched battle outside of Plzeň—the same which Weissfeld had just been describing.

‘The Second Italian Crusade,’ Weissfeld noted. ‘Towns like Nizza, Verona, Udine and Trieste, left over from the old Despotate—still Orthodox. Pope—you can guess how he reacted. Orthodox Italians. Where do you think they turn for help?’

‘To us,’ said Dalibor.

‘Hmph. Sadly for them,’ remarked Weissfeld. ‘The Second Italian Crusade showed the Moravians that technology isn’t everything. Leadership. Command structure. Free Italian companies and Swiss mercs? Masters of the art. Morale. Some scholars think the war was lost at Steiermark—long before this… butchery back here. They, um… have a point, actually. Avesnes-Hohenschwangau put Schwarzenberg on the back foot long before they crossed the Moravian border.’

Weissfeld clicked forward one slide. What came up before the class now was another painting: a scene of utter desolation. Skeletons of barns with smoke wisping into the air. Burnt crops. Piles of bodies. In the foreground a woman sitting with a squalling, hungry child, looking off into the distance as though wondering where their next meal might come from.

‘Bohemia lost a third of its population in this war. Immense military disaster. Even bigger humanitarian disaster. Bohemia became… hopeless. Some of the most heartbreaking poems in the Czech language come out of the last years of the 1500s.’

Another slide forward. This time it showed Kráľ Tomáš 2. kneeling in a posture of abject servility in front of a tall, proud, austere man in a white robe with a triple-crowned mitre.

‘Remember what I said earlier about Tomáš 2.?’

‘Brilliant?’ ventured Cecilia.

‘Moravia flourished under him?’ said Jolana.

‘Hm. Good memory.’ Weissfeld brought a hand up to his mouth, and made a half-gesture up to the screen. ‘Think—if Tomáš had kicked it, right after this. Would we be saying that now? Raise your hand if you, uh… think we would.’

Not a single hand went up.

‘And you’d be right. Tomáš came this close to being considered one of the worst kings in Moravia’s history. On account of the humiliation suffered at the Papacy’s hands. What happened after this, though?’

‘The Army Reforms of 1598,’ said Ľutobor. ‘Switching from the Three-Army Model to the Four-Army Model.’

‘Hah,’ Weissfeld chuckled. ‘I mean, that’s one—yes, the Army Reforms. Good for you, reading the textbook. But also—see here—’

Weissfeld clicked forward once more, and the slideshow showed the portrait of a slender, somewhat stern-looking, dark-bearded man in a deep brocade kaftan and elaborately-embroidered rubacha, wearing a pair of rivet spectacles.

‘This man did more—much more—to salvage Tomáš’s reputation than any reform of the army did. Anyone know who this is, and what he did? Yes—Petra?’

Petronila Šimkovičová put her hand down. ‘That’s Cideburius Ignatius Comenius—Ctibor Ignac Komenský in Moravian. He was Kráľ Tomáš 2.’s economic adviser at the very end of his life. He belonged to the mercantilist school of economic thought, and was tasked with bringing down the national debt. He advocated the policy, radical for its time, of using paper treasury notes to honour domestic debts, at least over a temporary period.’

‘Very good. You get a gold star,’ said Dr Weissfeld. ‘You thinking about economics as a major?’

Petronila shrugged.

‘What Petra said,’ Dr Weissfeld nodded. ‘Banks had been issuing private promissory notes for a long time before this, obviously, but what changed was the policy of Moravia using them to honour public debts. Never been done before—well, at least, not in Europe. More than a few nobles wanted Komenský’s head just for suggesting it. But he issued in—heh, no pun intended, sorry—a revolution in monetary practice.’

Another slide forward. This one showed a much different pastoral scene, significantly happier and brighter than the one which had come before.

‘Komenský’s soft-money policy gave Moravia time to breathe and recover. Inflation went through the roof for a while. But that favoured rural people: more money they got for crops, meant more money to spend on basic necessities. Ten years later—back on the gold standard. No surprise: gold and silver mining were big business in Bohemia. But farmers were in a much happier place. Also, can you guess what else Tomáš was able to do with paper treasury notes?’

A silence followed.

‘Here’s a hint. You’re sitting in it right now.’

Živana raised her hand. ‘Was Tomáš the one who built the University?’

‘Planned. Built. Dedicated. Largely thanks to Komenský here, Tomáš became known as a great patron of learning, as well as the man who saved Moravia… from the mess he got it into. Kinda funny how reputation works.’

Weissfeld cleared his throat.

‘Well then. We need to actually talk about the Second Italian Crusade, and the Army Reforms which came after it. I believe Jolana’s the discussant for today…’

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Bad times coming! I feel better about the crown prince's puppy love since it is a game event that you are working through and not artistic license. EU gives less room to maneuver than CK if you are trying to use characters. Thank you for the explanation.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that's certainly an ominous sign of Moravia's immediate future, although it is also reassurance that the situation gets better later.

Does this monetary reform mean that Moravia can afford to take out more loans and spend more money? If so... that's a huge improvement.

• 2Like
Reactions: