• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's a rather... interesting name for a daughter :p

You might not have to worry too much about Mercia naming themselves King of Wales, since I think now you have to be an independent lord to create a king title, which means he'll have to break away from English rule first (I think -- not 100% certain on that, since it's been a while since I've played as a non-independent ruler). Still, it is rather worrying seeing almost all of the north of England under one man's rule.

As the month closes, the Bishop of Ferns gives me a sternly-worded letter about my Spymaster, decrying him as a heretic. I spend an evening contemplating what it means about our church that that is the only issue he has with a mad, cynical, Danish master of deception.
Obviously, all other flaws of Mogens directly stem from the fact he's a heretic - if he simlpy stopped being a heretic, all the other flaws would disappear like snow in the Sahara. ;)

All Hallow's Eve. Mogens the Dane discovers that my wife is plotting to kill my nephew!
"Ealdgyth? How are things between you and my brother?"
"Domnall? Alright, why do you ask?"
"How about Ruaidri? All right there?"
"...What's the purpose of this inquiry?"
"Mogens told me that you're planning to kill Ruaidri."
"...Alright, it's true. I was."
"Why? Why do you want to kill him?"
"I don't know. It...it would bring his land closer to being held by the King."
"..."
"It made sense at the time. I don't know what came over me..."
"I understand; I've been there too. Just..."
"I know, I'll stop."
Such a touching kitchen table conversation between a King and his Queen. :) Apparently, discussing murder between Royals is much the same as common folk deciding that that new pair of shoes - no, they are really cute and you don't need to return them! - really should've waited until after the car payment was taken care of. ;)

That wasn't really the tone I was going for. Alright, apparently I write better comedy-AAR than drama-AAR.

And one thing about the Duke of Mercia that should calm people: If we trust the realm tree, he can only field a bit under 5,000 troops, while the Irish levee is just over 6,500 at its peak and the English levee...well...it's starting to size up to EUIV armies. Mercia-Deherbarth-Lancaster-Northumberland-York is apparently not very good at the whole "getting an army together" thing.

Anyways. Onto the update!

The former Queen of Connacht has a new baby half-brother! How sweet.

Apparently, Denis managed to get the mayor of Ilchester, the baron of Tottenham, three bishops, the Dukes of Kent and Hwicce, the English spymaster, and some guy named Eadwine to kill Prince Cenraed of England! I find this out when I get a letter from King Eadward asking me why I keep killing his heirs. I send him a gift to help pay for the funeral, then strongly consider what to do about Denis.

I hear that Seoan has made he Pope like me again. He notes, however, that he's still annoyed about that "free investure" thing, and that at least Mayor Pancrazio likes me.
"Wait," I write back. "Who is this Mayor Pancreas guy?"
"Firstly," the Archbishop replies, "how did you misspell that? Secondly, the Pope is in prison, so a reagent--one of his vassals--was chosen."
"What was he finally imprisoned for?"
"I don't know; ask High Chief Siemomysl II, the Silent, of Pomerania."
Apparently, the Pope was somehow in Pomerania on Imperial business, maybe on holiday or preaching or leading troops or something, and the High Chief captured him when they defeated the army accompanying him. And the chief apparently became pen pals with Seoan, which meant the Pope got letters from various people.
Maybe it's time to appoint a replacement...no, that's mad. The Kaiser can get away with that, but me?

Another few months go by, and my marshall, steward, and (again) chaplain continue to report success! I wish my chancellor would do the same; I'd like a war against the Scots.

October 12, 1127. The King of England dies under suspicious circumstances, such as most of my treasury being emptied. Mogens and Denis are surprisingly silent on the matter...
Dammit, Denis, why do your greatest atrocities have to be so effective? It makes it so much harder to...I dunno...something...
I need to do something.
Anyways, Repwoc is not well-liked in England...
2lus11e.png

Even that one guy who likes him is more loyal to the Kaiser. I suspect that there may be...problems in England. I arrange a betrothal between Halwiva and the young Prince of Albany, and a marriage between Denis and the King of Norway. This will secure an alliance now, an alliance in the future, and get Denis out of my hair. Then, I discover that (since Denis is a bastard and only an aunt), I don't get that alliance after all. Worth a shot...

The week of Thanks-Giving has arrived, and Stuyvesant is old enough to need a teacher. I'm feeling kind of bad with how my wife's described my parenting abilities, so I decide to tutor her myself.

The New Year comes. The Countess of Ulster realizes that my Spymaster is a heretic. This is somehow his worst characteristic. Anyways, I'm not worried.
otozm8.png

But it could prove worrisome in the future. I ask Seoan if he could ask the Pope to make heresy okay. His reply letter was full of laughter that I could tell was probably mocking, plus some questions as to if I had slept through Sunday School or what.

The granddaughter of a King of Gwynned and mother of the former Queen of Connacht, one of my courtiers, wants to kill a random old maid in the Tyrconnellian court. I tell her to stop. She does.

Finnguala, the Twin Duchess of Munster, dies of stress, still fairly young. Her eldest son becomes the Duke; one of the two identical twins takes the Ossorian Count title.

In mid-June, Domnall re-founds his faction for Denis to become the Irish queen. The good news is that he's still alone, with barely over a sixth of the army I could call on from my personal lands and my vassals. The bad news is that he might be able to ask Norway for help. The good news is that England has twice as many soldiers as Norway. The bad news is that England hates Repwoc.

Just a quick update tonight. I grabbed a Humble Bundle and got distracted and forgetful with Prison Architect.

I note that Scotland has been under the rule of the two-year-old Donald III ever since his father Edgar died in battle against the Norwegians last autumn. I chat with the Dukes of Mercia and East Anglia about it, and they agree they're better-off; a least Repwoc's not a Scot.

I'm told my truce with Duke Malise of Moray is expiring soon. I don't even remember why we were at war.
Wait...Malise...oh, he used to be king, then the Norse got in on the excommunication thing and kicked him out, then Edgar took over, then Donald. Geez, Scots, can't you get your act together?

My son gives Duke Swegn of Hwicce an earl to call his vassal. How nice. He then makes Grand Duke Guthfrith his Master of the Horse. Repwoc is hated slightly less by Guthfrith.

December, less than a week till we celebrate the Birth of Christ. When guests arrive for the festivities, Stuybesant is eager to talk with everyone the moment they enter the door. It's annoying and endearing, as is much that children do.
10nhlwh.png

I should encourage this.

Later in the party, after the celebration proper, I start to suspect that Nest, former Queen of Connacht, might fancy me. She's become lonely ever since the nutjob died.
15owj61.png

Seoan shortly thereafter sends me notice that the Pope, no longer in a Pomeranian prison, likes me more. I wonder if there's a connection. Probably not...right?

My daugher isn't the quickest study. I try to teach her to work hard, like Daddy always does.
2uoruh3.png

I'm such a good father! Talking with my children is such a good idea. Speaking of which, I wonder how Repwoc's doing in Westminster.
1rozo8.png

Right.

A geezer in my the court of my cousin, Earl of Carrick, wants to kill a geezer in the court of the Earl of Desmond, who is not my cousin. Seriously, stop trying to kill random people! Unfortunately, the plotter is in Carrick, which is currently Scottish. I make a mental note to stop the plot if I ever take control of Galloway somehow.

My brother's wife died of illness. At the same time, I get a note from Mogens that his ongoing efforts to discover how the Parisians do things have once more paid off, sort of. He hasn't allowed us to make any breakthroughs, but he's working on it.
Thinking of death, Mogens, and futility brings me to my son and my half-aunt. I wonder if Denis's solutions would help with Repwoc's problems. Sadly, she's in Scandinavia, land of the schemers, where she perhaps belongs. I might be able to ask for help, but I fear what she'd ask in return. She's already had more influence on me than I'd care to admit.
Then, it hits me. Perhaps I don't need Denis. Perhaps...I can be my son's Denis.

(Now to figure out how to do that...)

Then, it hits me. Perhaps I don't need Denis. Perhaps...I can be my son's Denis.

I'll have time to comment more in-depth later, but I will give you my first impression when I read that fateful line:

Oh god.

This has the potential to backfire in a most spectacular fashion. :)

(I'd complain about the lack of faith, but I'm confident that it won't work very well.)

Mother is part of former Scottish king Malise's attempt to reclaim the Scottish throne. He also has the Mayor of Aberdeen and the Bishop of St. Machar on his side. So, it's basically her and Mom. Great. Looking at Scotland's woes, I note that the Norwegians have claimed another county. In other words, the Scottish lands are divided between the Duke of Orkney, King Donald III the Toddling, Malise, and King Murdoch of Albany. And a bit is owned by one of Guthfrith's vassals.

Apparently, Guthfrith had to be dissuaded from joining a faction against Repwoc. Shame. The worst of it is, he likes me, even if he hates my son.

In other things I've noticed, my brother married his third cousin and Denis had a baby girl. I'm wondering how long it will take her to get on the throne.

3359m4y.png

Dear Pope,
Mogens may be a heretic, a madman, and a Dane, but he is an excellent spymaster. I can hardly afford to lose him. Moreover, while he likes me, you like me more. In conclusion, the guy who makes sure my ale isn't poisoned is more important than the guy who got locked up by the Chief of Pomerania for a few years.
Sincerely,
King Demman of Ireland.
P.S. I have no intent of letting you live that down.
P.P.S. Work on that grammar thing.

Some time later, the Bishop of Ferns complains about Mogens as well. I wonder if the Pope caught wind of his response to how I was "sticking it to the Kaiser's old pastor".

The Earl of Desmond wants to get a claim on the Duchy of Munster, to become his own liege. I tell him to stop it. He does.

Repwoc will be coming of age soon, and I couldn't be prouder. Aside from the whole most-of-England-hates-him thing.
dq5115.png

He finally becomes a dutiful cleric. I'm not sure what to think about this...

I send him a letter.
"Some day," I say, "you need to create an heir. Sooner than later may be a good idea. Your vassals dislike that you have a woman as your heir, even if she is their Princess. Also, when you marry, don't forget to keep political concerns in mind. A daughter of some powerful kingdom would be ideal. Norway, maybe--Ashild is a decent choice, and she's third to the throne, giving your children a chance of inheriting Norway as well as Ireland and England. And Wales, I guess."
His response was...frosty.

I've heard of the Duke of Upper Burgundy joining a plot to lower England's high Crown Authority. I wish I could, somehow, see what plots and such my son has to deal with.
Wait...
mlpp5k.png

Alright, I'm in. First, a quick little arguably-immoral telling-my-son-to-usurp-the-Duchy-of-Lothian thing. The County won't know what hit them.
Now, for the factions.
x3u9o1.png

First and foremost, the Duke of Cornwall is leading a faction including the Dukes of Hwicce, East Anglia, and Upper Burgundy--four out of seven of the English dukes--want to lower crown authority. They currently have about three-quarters of the King's strength. The Duke of Hwicce supports the claim of some wannabe spymaster-or-king to become King of England, a duke and former prince of England wants himself to become king, both are supported by the Duke of Kent, and both have roughly a third of my son's forces. Finally, the Duke of Upper Burgundy wants to become independent, and he has about a fifth of the troops England does. For comparison, my ~6800 current troops are less than half the ~14,700 my son could, if (say) Scotland declared war on him. Hm.
Well, France has a princess who's coming of age in a few months. Maybe I could encourage my son to get engaged to her? No, wait, the King of France is being a jerk about it. Hm.

I discover that my son has married some nobody from Castille, ruled by my cousin Lope. I'm not sure what to say. They don't even like each other!

Come the year 1130 Of Our Lord, I make myself Duke of Connacht. Four weeks later, I get some...odd news.
2lsfr6b.png

But...he likes me! And Paschal likes me even more--heck, more than he likes the Kaiser, even! And I'm zealous, and more pious by the month! What?
Aw, man. I hate being excommunicated.

Since my feudal vassals all love me to varying extents, save my ambitious earl of a brother, and since people often declare war on excommunicated people, I decide to raise feudal levees to maximum. It's a small irritation to my vassals, and a potentially significant boost to my armies.

My son gets me un-excommunicated within hours of the lords passing the new law. Huh. And the Pope likes (and always liked) my better than my son. What is this madness?

Dear Domnall de Tullyhogue, Chancellor of Ireland,
I understand you're lazy. I understand you're chasing Scottish maidens, for some reason. I understand you're charitable, ambitious, a scholar, and 60 years old as of a couple weeks ago. I don't care. Fabricate a claim on Galloway, please.
Sincerely,
King Demman, the guy who pays for you to indulge your vices.

March 8. The Archbishop tries to press his claim on the Duchy of Connacht diplomatically. I respond in kind.

qwww7q.png

A heathen came to court today, in the guise of a holy man. I guess he technically is holy, but certainly not for the God of Ireland. I chucked him in prison. My uncle thought this was a bit unfair, since my spymaster was a Danish heretic, but I pointed out that he was talking of such silly things as man being saved through good deeds rather than mere belief, and claimed that the Holy Trinity wasn't even in the Bible. Madness! Who would want to worship a God that let in anyone who did good things, rather than letting in all devout Christians?
9tk6q0.png

Father always said that if I was born a peasant, I'd make a great preacher.

Some Imperial duke usurped the title of some Burgundian noble. In usurping news, the Scottish revolt lead by Malise and aided by my mother has occupied Forres, the capital of the remainder of Scotland.

My second cousing, once removed, and also courtier died of depression. Sad. He was slow, scarred, gluttonous, and queer, but also kind, content with his lot in life, and chaste. I suppose a joke implying that that last one caused his depression would be a bit uncalled for.
His brother was a Welsh bishop murdered by his successor. Interesting.

My marshal married Nest's mother. I accept their marriage. God damn it, why does everyone look down on me for being nice to my lover's mother?
I mean, being nice to two lovers. One of whom is my marshal. Right.
I am faithful to my wife. Even when she's being a pain and trying to kill my nephew.

Late October. I begin upgrading Leighlin's castle town. With the help of Gilla-Coluim, it should be done in time for Thanks-Giving next year.

Speaking of Thanks-Giving, at the end of that week I hear from my chancellor. At last, I have a claim on the County of Galloway! ...I was really going for the duchy, but...whatever. I use it. One small problem, though...
263k35x.png

(Don't you hate it when you forget to pause and the game advances with you forgetting it? The debt was seventy-odd right after I took the claim.)
This would not be a bad time to strike; the Scottish army is less than two hundred men strong, whereas I could raise nearly three thousand without calling on my vassals or my son. But I shall wait until I have repaid this debt first; it seems sensible.

The Duke of East Anglia has joined a faction pushing for one Eardwulf to take the English throne. This faction is now three Dukes strong, thankfully all weak ones (certainly none like the Grand Duke of Mercia-Deheubarth-Lancaster-Northumberland-York).

I note complaints by my vassals that I hold too many duchies. I was planning to save this for a special occasion, but I enact a plan to hopefully get myself more money at the cost of some levee (hardly important as long as England is my ally). I have heard of grand cities like Pisa and Venice, and want to try something of the sort out.
3534djb.png

I believe this will be a good thing. Certainly, it makes my vassals less...itchy. Incidentally, I invest in Popular Customs doctrine.

February. The Earl of Northampton has started a faction backing the Duke of Cornwall for the English throne, a faction that the duke quickly (if unsurprisingly) joins. Republic vassal or no, my best hope may be that these factions will fight amongst themselves. (Or that my son placates Mercia.)

March. Ben-Ulad, Nest's bastard half-sister, fancies me. I resist.

The County of Moray is occupied by the Scottish rebels. I am about to declare was on the Scots, to strike while they're still in civil war (and I'll only be declaring on the losing half), when I realize that I'm still not out of debt and still need to make money before I can. Curses!

The Grand Duke of Mercia has imprisoned his brother, the Earl of Glamorgan, for kinslaying. After some digging through family trees and such, I discover that he slew their ill, honest, brave, and cynical cousin, who didn't even have a title to his name.

The Due of Kent left the factions he was in. Excellent!

Mid-September. My aunt, wife of a former Gallowayan lord, died.

One of those factions trying to push for a new English king disbanded entirely. Excellent!

The Festival of Thanks-Giving begins, and we are finally out of debt! (Funny. It's usually done the opposite.) I declare war on the Scots, raise 1700 fine Leinster men, and march for Galloway, there the 79 troops of Scotland will probably decide to avoid me. We arrive just after the New Year's dawn. Once we get there, we see something...unexpected.
2d8p81w.png

1300 Scotsmen are waiting in Galloway for my army! Being Scots, they fall like wheat before some kind of really good scythe, but...curious. Somehow, in the past months, the king got up to 1700 troops to call upon. I...what is this sorcery?
Another complication:
344w7eh.png

The Scots have more defenders than anticipated. I raise about a thousand Tarans to add to the siege. As I wait for them to arrive, I watch the remnants of the Scottish army get routed by a similarly-sized rebel army...until they got reinforcements, doubling their numbers. Then the reinforcements got routed, because Scotland can't even defeat Scots.

My youngest daughter needs a guardian. I chat with the Grand Duke of Mercia, hoping to get some goodwill that will transfer to my son (hah, unlikely). I decide to send her to his steward.
2q9fe6p.png

Maybe I should be concerned about how Mercia phrased his acceptance letter. If not that, then maybe the fact that he's a miafist...maphi...heretic, a Nubian, paranoid, proud, slothful, and a hedonist. Well, at least he's Midas-touched, and above all, not a Scot. (Or an Anglo-Saxon--don't want my daughter to be like one of them.)
I note that Pat's son is a sub-heretic of the Mephitsite heresy. He must be in the rebellious stage.

Late March. A week and a half until Tara's troops reinforce my own and the siege can finally begin. Ben-Ulad continues to fancy me. I give in.

Early April. The siege of Galloway begins at last. It's estimated that the siege of Dunragit will be done within a year, and the rest should be quicker. Probably.

Late June. The wife of old Henrik died, leaving only their daughter, a young, ill pagan. I have heard from some of my spymasters' sons of former lines of Danish kings that the Pagans are pleasant in bed (I believe the exact term used was "rawr"), but I hardly think it would be appropriate to test this assertion.
(Why are there no Knytlings in my Europe?)

Early July. Guthfrith releases his cousin-killing brother from prison. Meanwhile, the Duke of Kent is supporting Eardwulf to the English throne again.

Late July. Some of the siege's defenders starved to death. This is not expected to reduce the siege's time. Then, several of our soldiers were killed by bandits, which also is not expected to affect the siege's time.

Late August. I learn that Guthfrith has fabricated a claim on that Welsh county I own personally. Problematic, as his armies are currently at their full 5,000-man strength, while mine are at about 4700 out of 7300.
Actually, that's not so bad. Especially if Repwoc bails his old man out of trouble his vassals caused.

Malise's troops keep dancing between Teviotdale and Lothian. I'm not sure why. Some of my men wonder if there's some really good tavern in Teviotdale or something. I deny them permission to test this hypothesis.

The New Year comes. Ben-Ulad had a son. I name him Murchad, like my grandfather's bastard son. My half-uncle is so proud.
A bastard son of a bastard mother...little Murchad is going to have a tough time. I admit that the kid's mine, to make things easier for them. My wife is annoyed, perhaps unsurprisingly. Maybe I should keep quiet about Nest.

Inga Henriksdotter died days after Murchad's birth.

The Duke of Kent joined the faction to lower England's crown authority, as has the Earl of Northampton. The five dukes and Waltheof have a combined military might just slightly more than Repwoc's, though that doesn't seem to count (say) Guthfrith's army. The Grand Duke of Mercia-et-al has remained out of the factions, strangely.

March 15, 1133. We finally siege out Dunragit, capturing Duke Edgar's illegitimate daughter and some random midget/toddler of the same age to within a few months. I ransom the former, and the other comes free.

Stuyvesant is rather cynical for her age. I...talk her out of it.

Halwiva grew up, becoming an elusive shadow, a rival to old Mogens in the field of spymastery. Shame that her talent will be going to Albany in nine years when their prince comes of age.

Late June. A rumor of traitors lowers the defenders of the second Gallowayan siege. Thus, on the seventh of August, they surrender.

I've heard that Denis wants to become spymaster. I'm not remotely surprised. Sadly, she's better at the strategy of intrigue than the tactics of espionage.

The Grand Mayor of Connacht notices the heretic spymaster I have. He complains. Of course, I still gave him a county and a duchy, so he still loves me.

The Duke of Cornwall becomes the leader of the Aethelwald for England faction. Eardwulf's faction disbanded; its leader, Swegn of Hwicce, left the Lower-Crown-Authority faction. The Dule of Kent did so as well.

Late November. As Thanks-Giving week wraps up, Repwoc asks me to join a war against the Holy Roman Empire.
...Wait, what?
Okay. The Kaiser evidently has a claim on Bourgogne, a single county forming half of Upper Burgundy. So, he attacked England for it. At the moment, England has 15,700 troops and I have 5,100. The Kaiser can supposedly call upon nearly forty thousand troops. I...I don't think you have a chance of winning this one, Repwoc. I'll join, but...yeah.

The New Year comes, and with it, the siege of Dumfries. The craven but wise Scottish king surrenders. I am now king of Ireland and bits of Wales and Scotland.

An AAR that doesn't take itself seriously? I approve.

I was unexpectedly busy last night, and wound up not having time to do an update. I'm ashamed--I've broken my streak of daily updates. As pennance, here's an extra-long update, and I'll do two updates some day this week (maybe tomorrow?) so that I can still claim one update per week.

Seoan drops out of the chaplain position for some reason. I appoint a slightly more skilled cleric, Broen the bishop of Ferns, as my chaplain. I immediately send Broen to make the Pope like us more.

The three Scottish kingdoms--the two claimed Kings of Scotland and the King of Albany--have a battle. All are weakened, mostly the rebels.

In the exact middle of June, the month which is almost exactly in the middle of the year, a man in a midnight-blue hooded cloak pushes a titleless book into my hands. He said something, but I didn't catch it.
"Hey, wait!"
He was gone, but the book remained. I began to read it...
This is pious. Somehow.
A week and a half later (which qualifies as "several weeks"), I determined that it was just gibberish. Still, I learned to love books.

Aunt Ase, countess of Ulster, complains about Mogens being my councilor and a heretic. I send a form letter pointing out how odd it is that that's the one flaw you find with him.

August. I check on the state of the war I am technically in, alongside my son. He lost two battles between tens of thousands of troops (mostly on the Empire's side) and won a minor one between four hundred of his and five hundred of the Emperor's. Um, good job? Well, the Empire is sieging each county of Upper Burgundy with at least three times more troops than my son can raise, yet he continues to try and gather his armies in England to fight. Idiot.
Also, he has a daughter. Good for him?

Early September, 1134. Edward, Mayor of Dumfries, one of the cities in Galloway, wants me to lower taxes. I flatter and soothe him with my clever tongue and careful promises which he doesn't realize don't actually involve what he asked for until he's back on the road to Scotland. Apparently, this impresses not only the mayor but the Pope, as the next day I'm told he likes me more.

Aethalweard, Duke of Cornwall, revolts against Repwoc, trying to claim his throne. Strangely, while I can't help my son and ally, I can offer to help his rebel.
Incidentally, this (through a tangled chain of misunderstanding and research) lets me realize that there's more than one Scottish revolt--there's Malise's, one lead by my cousin Edgar the duke of Galloway, and...now I can't find this Aethalweard guy. Aethel-weird.

Goddammit, sorry I lied, but I really can't continue unless I know how to join that war. It's just so stupid that I can't...

Argh! And you were just doing so well, slaying Scots and not getting killed by goosestepping Germans!

Strange that you can't help out - can you safely test what happens if you join Aethel-wuss (I'm grasping at straws here, but I'm hoping maybe the descriptions are messed up and you'd actually join your son - that being the logical choice and all...)?

Worth a shot, I guess. And...nope!
sce7i9.png

Take note of whose head that is in the corner.
Anyways, someone on Reddit suggested that getting that pesky war in Burgundy ended would help. On the way there, I noticed something.
29gc0if.png

Excellent. P.S. I'm mildly amused that Paradox considered the possibility that an NPC noble's heir might be an independent noble who he would need to call into war, and hence added that modifier.
Anyways, my solution is simple: Call me to arms, then switch back to playing me. And whaddya know, my army was raised while I was out! Convenient.

The armies of Ireland, over 7,500 strong, are raised to help the English king keep his throne, an act that my grandfather never would have dreamed his heir would do. Evidently, this is enough to net me the title of The Wise, just like Grandpa.

Mid-October. I discover that my brother has accepted guardianship of Stuyvesant. Wait, wasn't I guardianing her?

November comes, and I realize that the galleys in Leinster (where the troops have been gathering) are entirely insufficient for transporting the troops there. I have Seoan send his (admittadly larger) navy, which comes to Leinster's port by way of the Isle of Man and a point roughly equidistant from the tips of Dyfed, Cornwall, and Leinster. There's something to be said here, but I suspect that wittier than I have already said it.

Some guy in Munster's court seeks to kill the bastard of one of the old Duchesses.

The faction pressing for Denis to take the Irish throne has disbanded.

November 19, 1134. I discover that there are four hundred and twenty-six troops too many to fit on the sixty-one boats of my fleet and Seoan's. The Prince-Mayor's troops number four hundred and twenty-eight. The fleet joins the Army of Knut, a thousand twenty strong and in my brother's realm, where twenty-eight Scots from Dumfries march to join as well. I have my brother send five ships over to pick up the rest.
Just under a week later, the troops arrive--well, the six thousand and change. The twenty-eight Scots and four hundred twenty-eight Connachters are still on thier way, the latter having just set sail.
December dawns. All but the Scots have made it. We decide to wait for them.

The next day, the second of December, the mayor of Connacht dies and a new Great House rises as the old mayor's house died. Apparently, I'm expected to succeed.

The seventeenth of September arrives. Our troops, now all united, march for Somerset, where the Cornish troops siege Bath. They reach English soil the day after Christmas and Somerset on the eighteenth...literally a day before the craven Corns could flee to safety. They have barely more than two thousand troops. Their left flank broke before February, my son sens a hundred troops a few days later, then their other flanks collapsed almost silumtaneously around the tenth. I captured two of the army's leaders, including the rebelious Duke's uncle. Less than four hundred Cornish troops remain. I send my army to march on Devon.

Also, the Duke of Upper Burgundy disbanded his faction for independence.

Excellent! A necessary evil to support your son's war. And it's going quite well! I'm sure the English are very happy to know that their unloved king is bringing in Irish and Scottish troops to fight for his throne. ;)

Then again, who cares if the plebs complain, if you have the brute force to silence any opposition?

Nicely done! Glad to see that the English crown has been secured for Demman's house, even though it took a bit of finagling to get Demman himself involved. That revolt must certainly be on its last legs now.

Only twenty-eight Scots, hardly important. I like to imagine that they were the front line, and before that they were kinda like butlers for the officers. Because the Irish don't like the Scots. (Or at least Demman doesn't.)
And I would hae thought so, too. But, ever since I found out you could discover the exact difficulty number by hovering over the bar, I've been glancing at it when I load up a save. It's gone from Very Easy (19%) to Easy (21%) over the course of that last update.

And now, on with the update.

Forty-seven troops rise in Devon. Can't imagine they'll last long.

My steward isn't my steward anymore. Duke Diarmait of Ulster, my second cousin, is a superior choice in every way, especially skill. Despite being depressed and slow, he's leagues better than anyone else in the kingdom. If he was a bit brighter, he'd be better at Stewarding than Mogens is at spymastery.
2yocrvd.png

It's all War-Score to me, but it sure looks impressive. I make a mental note to play poker with him as soon as someone invents it.

There was barely a fight. The forty-seven soldiers saw us and surrendered. We got some nice stuff out of the deal. Anyways, we sent about half the troops down the coast to Cornwall proper, keeping the leaders in Devon, where the Duke of Cornwall keeps his court for some reason.

I do my best to notice the virtues and talents others have; it's a virtue of its own. Or maybe a mixture of Hunanities, Humiliatias, and Indestructia--Kindness, Humbleness, and Dilligence, for those who don't spea Italian--all of which I have. I'm so proud! You know who else should be proud? Broen, by chaplain. He's Humanities, too, and friendly and just. I'm blessed to have such a devout teacher in my court. I could reward him, or thank Jesus. But he already loves me for my virtues, epic diplomacy, and how I gave him such positions. On the other hand, I'm not sure what being more oious would do for me. Sure, I'll honor him.

My son has roused a massive army, hundreds of troops raised from the replenishing levees of England to chase down the not-quite-400 troops running through England and hoping they can avoid being killed. They get caught by a group of troops, smaller, leaderless, and with less morale, which they promptly rout. The "war-score" way of looking at things suggests my son is slightly better at war than I, but I find this doubtful.

On April Fool's Day, 1135, my Uncle Murchad claimed he felt horribly sick. What a joker! The old "fake pox" trick! The next day, we discovered him dead of Great Pox. We felt really bad about laughing.

The Corns attack some English troops and win again. Repwoc, Repwoc, Repwoc...

The Mayor of Connacht complains about Mogens. Ha! He complains about the insane, cynical, possessed, backstabing Dane because he's a heretic! Ha ha!
He's a heretic, yes, but he embodies the Seven Virtues AND he's celibate. Also, he's an awesome spymaster.

Reowoc wants to improve his diplomacy. I think there are other things he might want to work on...at least he's (finally!) gathering his troops into one place.)

June. Repwoc engages the last Cornish troops. Seoan dies and is replaced by a proud, cynical, arbitrary, and cruel cleric. He's a dutiful cleric, though. And terrible at everything.
33mlzlf.png

He is not well-liked.

Late July. Repwoc finally gave up on trying to defend Upper Burgundy. Maybe someday, Repwoc, but this is not that day.

August. Repwoc's troops arrive in Devon to support mine.

September. The Prince-Archbishop of Tara died in a very public firefight between several archers trying to kill him for personal or economic reasons. The city guard reported three dozen cheerful bystanders, yet no one claims to have seen who did it. He is replaced by someone much better, who, due to being a scholar, zealous, and consciously appointed by me, will love me forever.

At nearly the end of September, Lydford, capital of the Duchy of Cornwall, was finally occupied.

Raedwulf is complaining of his condition. Like the other, more important, prisoner, I give him nicer conditions.

As winter dawns, Connacht announces that they built a trading post! A month later, the Ua Domnaills build one in Clydesdale. At this time, the Shannon family controls trade along Ireland's west coast, the Ceiteach family controls it in the Duchy of the Isles, and the Ua Domnaill family controls Welsh trade and the government back home. Houses Mac Diarmaida and Ua Mail Eoin are also influential. On a side note, I'm no longer the expected next Prince-Mayor.

Again, I feel that feeling when the enemy persists for nearly two weeks despite being literally a hair's breadth from surrender. But, come the last day of January, we (well, I) take Tintagel, a couple courtiers of the Earl of Cornwall, and 100% war-score! It takes until Mid-February for the peace deal to be finalized. Shockingly, the Duke of Cornwall is imprisoned. Our troops go home at the end of March and the beginning of April.

No wars. Finally. Now what?

On April Fool's Day, 1135, my Uncle Murchad claimed he felt horribly sick. What a joker! The old "fake pox" trick! The next day, we discovered him dead of Great Pox. We felt really bad about laughing.

September. The Prince-Archbishop of Tara died in a very public firefight between several archers trying to kill him for personal or economic reasons. The city guard reported three dozen cheerful bystanders, yet no one claims to have seen who did it.

Uncle Murchad really had poor timing with that announcement. Then again, maybe he just decided to die out of spite since no-one fell for his April Fools joke.

The Prince-Archbishop of Tara must've led a colorful life if that many people were (directly or indirectly) involved in his death. :) I have this wonderful image in my head of incompetent archers loosing arrows everywhere, the Bishop frantically jumping all over the place trying to avoid them (and slowly turning into a porcupine) and several dozen peasants cheering on each successful dodge and hit - because in the end, it's the most entertainment those serfs will have in their entire life.

I've heard of people whose plots, at 200% Plot Power, have resulted in two or three assassination events going off at once. I'm kinda sad that didn't happen here.
But yeah, I'm also curious as to how that many people wanted him dead.

Sorry about not updating yesterday; a couple of things cut into the limited time I had set aside. I'll do another double-update-day sometime this week. Maybe two, because this week's updates have been rather sparse. Anyways, on with the show!

Repwoc revoked the title of the Duke of Cornwall. Took him long enough. The elderly Earl of Cornwall founded a faction to lower English crown authority.

Late June. The Bishop of Ferns dies. A lowborn, evnious, paranoid, gluttonous, wrathful, completely unsiplomatic cleric named Art takes his place. I'm sure he could be replaced, but he likes me well enough.

Archbishop Gilla-Coluim complains about Mogens. It's the heretic thing, not his many, many other flaws. This is hilarious. Ha ha.

Repwoc formed the Kingdom of Wales, then made the King of Wales his primary title. O...kay.
2n7p07m.png

I would have stayed England, since that's what most of your land is and what most of your vassals are, but...whatever.
(Bit of a pain how much I had to zoom out to hide 557 Scottish revolting troops.)

The Cornish faction to lower crown authority in England--erm, Wales--has disbanded. Maybe Repwoc knew what he was doing.
A month later, he re-founds it. Never mind.

1137 rolls around.

Early May. One of my prisoners tries to escape. No more house arrest--time to return to the dungeons!

July. The wife of the Mayor of Connacht dies of illness. What a tragedy. She is survived by her husband and her 21-month-old daughter.

2dgjew7.png

I had thought the above picture had said enough. But, then I saw that the Kaiser had only a few hundred more troops than Repwoc. (Also eight children. Good God, that's a lot.)
I join my son's war and gather the troops of Ireland. We will prove that the Irish and Eng--Welsh armies are stronger than those of the Empire, we will gain glory for the Cheinnselaigs, and we will get Brunswick as part of the Welsh realm if I'm not mistaken on how that works!

Wow, it sounds like Britannia has found its nemesis - and very impressed that you're already up to going toe-to-toe with the HRE!

Hopefully you can keep trading blows until His Imperial Germanness dies and his eight children start vying to replace him through electoral or martial glory, even with Repwoc not necessarily following your sage advice.

Thoroughly entertaining as ever, keep it up!