• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PereLachaise

Private
41 Badges
Apr 29, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Hello !
II thought that the implementation of the Sibylline Books could be a cool feature in game ! (I rely on the study of E.M. Orlin in Temples, Religion and Politics in Republican Rome)

What are those books ?
The roman tradition says that they were books, more precisely 3 scrolls, sold by an old woman to Tarquinius Superbus. These scrolls were taken in the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus. These scrolls were a collection of oracles from the Sibyl of Cumae.

What were they used for?
The Senate kept a tight control on the Sibylline Books and was intimately involved in any action stemming from the Books. The Senate had to order the original consultation, following whatever prodigy they deemed to require it, and then after decemviri, who were often senators themselves, had examined the scrolls, the Senate had to take the response and decide on a course of action to implement its advice. The Sibyl's responses were generally limited to recommending a particular ritual in order to appease the wrath of the gods, which if successful would help to ease the crisis and pacify the populace.
That's how Orlin summarize the using and the consultation of the Books.

Why implement them in game and how ?
The Books could add some cool event chain and some mechanic to the religious aspect of the game.

Prodigies, like pestilence, shower of stone, birth of a hermaphrodite, volcanic eruption, when they occur, could lead to a consultation of these Books, and to an event chain :
Do the player want to use the books ? how to interpretate the oracle from the decemviri ? how to act after or not to act ?
Note that the prodigies I quote led in Republican Rome to the consultation of the Sibylline Books.

For the interpretation part, because we didnt have actual text of the Books, except of a Fragment, there could be a bank of oracles and the decemviri could choose a random one to give to the player to interprete. Depending on the choice of interpretation, the player will have to pay more or less for money, political power, stability, or other resources. The more demanding the choice, the greater the chances that the prodigies will subside.
Here's a fragment of the fragment we have of the Books (I don't read ancient greek :'P) to give an exemple.
1601479778225.png

1601479791540.png

As Orlin says, the Senate had the choice to follow the opinion of the decemviri or not. So do the player. But if he does not follow, an another event chain could fire, like other prodigies, or a strike to the stab because the people is disappointed.

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think about this idea, big credits to Orlin for the informations !

• 3Like
Reactions:
1601481094991.png

1601481145271.png

I made a paint to show you an exemple of the event chain. It could me sometimes more worthy to not pay attention to the prodigy than to pay lot of money/food/political power to appease the gods, but it's like in real life : better safe than sorry !
Maybe giving some bonuses to the plyaed who chose theSibyllines Books path, like in my scenario "+25% fish production in the country" could encourage player to follow the path of Sybilline books, but the bonuses could be random : from nothing but just no more prodigy to a cool bonus?

• 2Like
Reactions: