• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My oh my do things look down right bleak for the establishment! I can almost feel my gut wrenching in anguish for them.... but only almost. However, with that being said, I am sitting on the edge of my chair waiting for the results of this march to the brink!

The Last Stand?

On the street, the air of the situation was deteriorating quickly. The territorial army units holding back the tide of the popular movement, headed by Baldwin, MacDonald, Chamberlain, Eden and Simon were failing at their objective, and only the orders of Sir Bernard Clipton, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland could salvage the situation. Gort, hard pressed and anxious to see what was done right for Britain, was torn between the loyalty of the government, and the tide of popular support, thrust forward by the former government. He replied to Sir Bernard, his voice spiriting away through the telephone wires to the now empty cabinet room. ”I regret to inform you Prime Minister, that I cannot carry out that order. I will not order the murder of my fellow countrymen. I am sorry Prime Minister, but I cannot command my lads to open fire on our own people.” Sir Bernard gently placed the telephone down on, and began awaiting the inevitable. The cabinet room, now empty and stinking of stale smoke, everything that had been accomplished was now in doubt. The future of Britain hung in the balance now, however Sir Bernard could not ignore the fact that he had lost the last roll of the dice. His glorious, if short lived innings about to be closed. The last standing member of the establishment, about to be clean bowled.

In a changing of the guard, the old national government walked into the Cabinet room, to see a lost, if still proud man, simply sitting quietly facing the window. Sir Bernard ignored them, running through the events of the past year, the good, the bad and the unfair. His mind began to boggle, yet he maintained a stiff upper lip throughout. The trying days in Mesopotamia, the campaigns in Iberia, the formation of the LAN, the Churchill Cabal and the war still raging against Italy. The almost fatal attack by the BUF, the failed rebellion by the Black shirts on the very streets of London, the same streets the scene of mass protest almost a year on.

Inside the cabinet room, stood the new and old governments. Nothing was said, the end inevitable. Eden walked over to Sir Bernard, and merely asked him to accompany them to the palace to seek his resignation from the King. Bernard humbly agreed. As the party left the cabinet office into the street, the crowds cheered widely. Although during its time, the establishment had garnered much support and popularity, the population had showed that it was unwilling to commit to a long foreign war, in which British interests were not clear. Although the proposition of trying the establishment for treason, a capital crime punishable by death was turned down, for it would merely split the nation once the fury of change had subsided, and after all, Britain was still engaged in war with the Spanish rebels the entire nation of Italy, so it was decided that the members of the establishment would be posted away to far off posts, so they could quietly fade away, to be pieced together by historians, academics and biographers.

The establishment had risen and now fallen. Its members dispersed, fading into obscurity and Britain was being led into a new age. However, the slate would not be wiped clean, it was impossible. The lasting effects of the changes to both the military and political structures of Britain could not be undone in a matter of seconds. New research into the military would give Britain a led against possible foe, particularly in the fields of rocketry and the emerging fields of splitting the atom, as well more conventional weapons such as aeroplanes and tanks. However the future of Britain would not be easy, for she faced many problems at both home and abroad. Problems resulting from the Home and Foreign policy of the establishment would become an endemic problem, with the relationship with France damaged very badly, and it would be years before any reconciliation could be maintained before either side began to have reservations about any possible agreement. Sir Bernard was quietly dispatched as governor of Hong Kong, a position in which he languished in until his death in 1962. During his governance from Hong Kong, he saw many governments pass and come, and almost to the day, the established took power in 1935, so Sir Bernard Clipton, the man who had seen the establish rise and fall, died in his sleep, amidst his family, the surviving members of the establishment who had been with him. It was the end of the establishment, and although it was always rumoured, his last words were ”Don't trust the frogs, I did do the right thing didn't I?”

After the fall of the establishment, the situation was much stabilised, with the national government returning to govern the nation and Empire. Britain had seen many turbulent times in the past, but between December 1935 and July 1937, Britain had been thrown around, but she had still survived the trauma. In the grand scheme of human existence, those years would barely mark a blip on the horizon, and in the history of the world, it would sometimes barely count as a footnote to the more important events of the world. Although the effects would last for some years, the establishment had risen and retreated, as they always do, but in the mind of Sir Bernard Clipton, he had done was was right for Britain, and Britain should always be in the right, for Britain and her Empire would always have there place in the sun, even if the people who fought and maintained it, did not.

Well everyone, thats was the final update to the Rise of the Establishment. I will now follow it up with a Character Review (both British and non British), followed by a few postambles concerning the history of the world, on a country by country basis, in explaining some of the decisions and acts that carried on throughout the world. I thank every single one of for the support that has been displayed by you all during the course of this AAR. In the bookshop (see link in my sig) I will be compiling an edited edition of the establishment, which will be available in both posted form, and in PDF. Once again I thank you, and I hope you enjoyed it as much I have.

Britain should always be in the right, for Britain and her Empire would always have there place in the sun, even if the people who fought and maintained it, did not.

"Land of Hope and Glory" fades into the distance as the troops march back to their barracks. A lone bugler plays the last post.

Tahnks Sir Humph - a great read!

Sad to see it end, but I understand that you have to focus on other AARs. I’m looking forward to read the epilogue.

Well, it was not so much the fact of other projects and works happening, but I felt that I could no longer write this AAR in the fashion from which it deserved, and I believe that it would best end now, before it would decend into a mess. End on a high note, while the going was good. Thank you all.

Sad to see this one end, but like you said, Hump, better to end on a high note rather than descend into a bloody shambles. Good show! :cool:

Post Script Volume 1 - Characters

After the fall of the establishment, its members began to fade into obscurity, never returning to the public light, though some maintained positions of influence under the various governments that were voted into power in the following years. The following list was compiled by the national government that was formed after the oil crisis in 2004.

(If I leave anyone out, or wish to see them done just ask)

If anyone would like to see any events of the time line written up slightly more properly, just post it up.

British Characters

Sir Bernard Clipton – Prime Minister during the reign of the establishment, after deposition was consigned as governor of Hong Kong until his death in 1962. His memoirs, “The No.10 Years” would become a best selling book, and remained for 12 weeks at the top of ‘The Times’ best sellers’ list.

Edward Cranwell – Establishment Chancellor, after leaving the establishment. Became a personal friend of Anthony Eden in later life, and was nominated Chairman for the Committee of Imperial Defence under Eden between 1940 until 1944, where he died after his privately owned Bristol Blenhiem crashed in the Scottish Highlands during bad weather. Although the report stated it was an accident, many theories have been stated ranging from sabotage to abduction by aliens. In death, his private papers revealed how concerned he was over the economy, though Chamberlain (Chancellor after Cranwell, despised him for inheriting a shaky war economy). Oversaw detonation of first nuclear device by Britain in 1943 at Maralinga Test Site.

Alec Bristol – Establishment Foreign Secretary. Retired from public life, and moved to Kenya. Wrote the best seller “Fog in Channel”. Was seriously injured in 1957 during the colonial troubles that swept the region. Died in London a few weeks later from the injuries. His son, Douglas “Dougy” Bristol became a successful MP in the Conservative Party.

Albert Marchbanks – Establishment Home Secretary. Retired to India.

Alan Colby – Head of SIS. Much was rumoured about what happened to Alan Copy, the main intelligence man of the establishment and the SIS. Although his successors failed to ever track Colby down, or indeed any link with the Churchill Cabal, he had surfaced in many places on the continent from Paris, through Moscow, and was rumoured to be in Africa as well. Rumours abounded, for they were all to go on, that he moved to Germany and was established with Eva Braun. Possible connection with rouge agent Harold Stubbings.

Lord Gort – Establishment Chief of Staff. Was maintained as Chief of the Imperial General Staff and Commander of 1st Army. After the cessation of hostilities in the Mediterranean, he was placed in charge of the British Rocketry program. Retired in 1939. Recalled in 1940 to spearhead the BEF in France. Maintained that position until the end of hostilities in 1945. Retired again, died in Somerset in February 1946.

Henry Portal – Establishment Chief of Air Staff. Maintained position as Chief of the Air Staff until his plain was shot down over France in 1941.

Winston Churchill Double – Quietly retired from the public eye.

Verity Atkins Anti Establishment Black Mailer – No one can be entirely sure how or why she did what she did, but in almost every government in the next 35 years, Verity would be constantly present in the cabinet line up, gradually working her way through the ranks, mostly likely through bribery and black mail. Disappeared in 1974 while at the Brighton Conference. Body was never found except for her earing and a shoe. Sparked the largest search in Britain, but no trace was ever found. Although many conspiracies abound, none have been proven.

--
Stanley Baldwin: Prime Minister until succeeded by Eden in 1939.

Anthony Eden: Eden, Prime Minister from 1939 until the Suez crisis in the 1950s.

Neville Chamberlain: Chancellor of the Exchequer. Lost to Anthony Eden from prime Ministership. Retired in 1946 from public life.

Winston Churchill: Released from the Isle of man, but never let back into politics. Linked to various semi government organisations.

---
Mussolini:

Eva Braun: Until 1940, the name Eva Braun was little known outside the government until the spectacular events of 1940. Although she led a devious past and was rumoured to have been linked with numerous killings and terrorist acts in Southern Germany, it could never be substantiated. The Kaiser and the government were facing economic crisis after the crash of the German Mark on the currency exchange. Braun assumed undocumented position in government. Rapidly climbed the greasy poll. Assumed power in 1940 after the President resigned. Renowned for use of dirty tactics in the political game. In close cooperation with Albert Speer, the Interior Minister were key to staving off the Soviet threat in 1943. Would become known as a fanatical wartime leader, often visiting the front line, and finally oversaw the return to peace in 1947.

Leon Blum: Leader of the Free French, worked with British and Commonwealth forces, and became head of France after end of hostilities in 1945. Charles De Gaulle nominated as successor, and maintained a close relationship with Britain. Sponsored the ideals of European partnership until his death in 1975. Succeeded by De Gaulle as President in 1959.

Peirre Laval: Killed By British Commandos during the intense firefight around Paris in September of 1942. Led France into a devastating and hugely costly war that was ended in the French defeat and loss of parts of the French colonial Empire

Time Line:

1937: Fall of Establishment.
National government reformed.
Last nationalist resistance knocked out in September. LAN maintains presence against various terrorist and guerrilla movements that would operate.

1938:Mussolini falls after Operation Canopus successful in invading Sicily.

1939:Hostilities end between Britain and Italy.
Italy looses African territory as war reparations.
Eden succeeds Baldwin as Prime Minister, after Chamberlain refuses to work in national government.

1940:Anglo-French War Begins after Turin incident.
Eva Braun assumes power in Reichstag.

1941: In Cooperation with the Free French, British forces enter Tunis.
Charles De Gaulle captures Morocco.
Australian Troops land in Indochina and capture Saigon.
Germany invades Poland in May.
Polish resistance ceases by July.
Japan launches an attack on the United States in November.

1942: Philippines invaded by Japanese troops in January.
Macarthur manages to maintain foothold in the South of the Philippines.
Battle of the Philippine Sea, American aircraft carriers and land base aircraft sink three Japanese aircraft carriers.
First British troops land in France, and hold foothold around the port of Cherbourg in May.
French resistance in Colonial Empire subsiding as Dakar falls to the Free French in June.
Attempts to break out of Cherbourg beach head fail.
Guam and Wake Islands captured by Japanese.
Peirre Laval killed in Commando raid in September.
British establish second front after the dropping of parachute and glider troops on Marsaille in October.

1943:Stalin Declares war on Germany in April.
Italy enters into war on the British side in April.
British and Canadian Forces break out of Cherbourg and captured Caen in April.
German forces pushed back to Warsaw line by June.
Midway falls to Japanese invasion force in July.
Poland and East Prussia fall to advancing Soviet Army September.
German appeal to Britain for aid against Soviet Forces.
Britain sends material and supplies to Germany.
Soviet “Winter Winds” Offensive sees Berlin within range of soviet artillery in December.
Resistance in French Indochina ceases after Australian troops enter in Hanoi, the local French commanders signing the cease-fire in December.
Germany repeals Soviet Thrusts, and begin own offensive back into Poland.
Britain detonates first ever Atomic Device at Maralinga Test Site.

1944:Last French Resistance in Africa ends, after French Africa Theatre commander Field Marshall Weygand signs the French Africa armistice in Cairo. . Only Madagascar remains under French control outside metropolitan France in June.
French moral begins to collapse with the loss of the French colonial empire.
British launch fresh attacks and succeed against the demoralised French Army.
Paris Falls, and organised resistance weakens.
British lightening advance from the South, led by Montgomery link up with British forces in the town of Vichy in December.
American forces begin retaking the Philippines.

1945:
France cut in half, British forces engulf France in vast battles of encirclement.
Leon Blum returns to Paris.
German forces cross the old Soviet-Polish border in March.
German forces reach Kiev in the Ukraine by late April.
Smolensk encircled and entire Soviet Army destroyed in May.
France formally surrenders on 12th June. 12th of June becomes Victory in Europe Day.
By end of the year, the frontline in the east stretches from Leningrad, to Moscow to Sebastopol.
Vast swaths of Soviet Territory under German occupation.
American troops land on Okinawa.
Conservative Party is elected into government. Eden maintains Prime Ministership.

1946:
Metropolitan France restored under Blum.
French Indochina remains occupied by Australia.
French African territory remains occupied by allied troops except for Djibouti and Algeria.
Madigascar, which was never invaded, becomes independent.
In the East both sides attempt offensives. Soviets retake Sebastopol and German Southern Front under severe pressure.
German offensive takes Moscow in April.
Braun visits Kremlin and Stalin relocates at last minute to Stalingrad.
American invasion force defeated under the shadow of Mt Fuji. Cease fire called.
Soviet Winter Offensive retakes Moscow, and Germans begin general retreat, following a scorched earth policy.

1947:
War in the Pacific restarts as Japanese fail to break American blockade of home islands.
Last Japanese resistance in the Philippines ceases.
Second cease fire called. Peace talks begin on Hawaii.
Soviet Russia in ruins and offensive grinds to a halt near the old Ukrainian border. British call for cease fire and offer to mediate talks. (Possible link with the British monopoly of atomic devices)
First meeting of the United Nations in London. Peace pushed for all over the world.
American and Japanese delegations cannot agree to peace terms. Cease fire remains in place, no declaration of peace.
Soviet and German delegations, under Anglo-French pressure sign Treaty of London.
Germany maintains Polish territory, whilst an independent Ukraine is established.
Both countries heavily damaged by war, Soviet Union in chaos, Germany bankrupt by war. Relies heavily on British, French and Italian money.
British face war in the Middle East with uprisings in Palestine.
Pressure begins to mount for Indian independence.

Coming next: 1948 through 1970.

If I missed anything, or if you want to ask any questions, go ahead. :)

Would anyone be interested in this as a PDF? Probably note, but thought I would ask.

Now, before I do start, some of it may be rewritten, just like formating, ect. Wonder how it will turn out.