• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GloryToByzantium

Recruit
22 Badges
Sep 24, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
This is my first ever AAR- and what better unique and completely original country to play as than Portugal, right?

I'm playing this on Divine Wind, and you might cringe a bit, but we all start somewhere, so get ready for a hopefully interesting AAR! :)

upload_2018-1-10_20-51-32.png

We all know of Portugal's starting position, but just in case you don't, I'm surrounded by the ever-OP, North-Africa eating, and h u n g r y Castile, I have a fairly good ruler - João de Avis - at the 1399 start date with straight fives, and a semi-useful alliance with England.

As for my game goals, I say:
1- Conquer Iberia.
2- Take Italy as my own.
3- Perhaps extend into Southern France if a chance arises.
4- As colonization goes, take the small North African ports of Melilla, Oran, Bone, Tangiers, and Ceuta, and have a South African presence.
5- Naturally, own all of Brazil.

From now on, I'm narrating from the perspective of my rulers.

It was October the fourteenth in the year of our lord 1399, and I was embarrassed. At a mission to Toledo, a Castilian diplomat taunted de Brito, the Grand Captain in the court and my trusted adviser, saying the army of his nation could destroy ours in a day. Brito encouraged an investment in strengthening our forces, and he was right. I allowed him to recruit 1,000 infantrymen in each province, and have them convene in Lisbon when they were completed. That day, I used half of my coffers. After lunch that day, my son Duarté asked me if he could attend the interviews for my advisers, and I remembered. I had completely forgotten my commitment! I wouldn't embarrass myself again today, so I played it off like I knew and let him come. I shuffled through my papers and found my address to the applicants. "Welcome to the court interviews everyone! As I announced before, I'm taking a step to be more innovative in my ruling, and I wish you all good luck!"

It wasn't long before I found two perfect fits, a six-star trader named Manuel de Gama to improve our trade system, and a two-star philosopher named Andre de Brito, a nephew of our Grand Captain. In the evening of this long day, a priest told me it was God's will to improve relations with Castile, and he was right. What better way than bringing their people under my divine rule? ;)

But I shouldn't get ahead of myself, I thought as I undressed for bed. Our nation needed an army first.

Sorry I took so long -- life, merchant republics, and Byzantium happened. As for info I left out, I'm playing Divine Wind on either Easy or Normal (I usually do normal or hard, but I don't want to embarrass myself). I will be posting an update this evening.

That first screenshot certainly brings back fond memories :) I don't think I ever quite got around to buying DW, but I sank many hours into EU3 on the whole.

It's rare to see new content here in the EU3 forums these days. I'll definitely keep an eye out to see how this goes.

Hey guys, again, sorry about the wait. I'm gonna jump right into it, because I posted two hours ago. Enjoy!

***********************************************************************​

The next morning, I sprung up from bed. In my sleep, had a dream, a dream of 24,000 peasants rampaging through the countryside as I feebly defended against a Castilian advance. I was a fool to think the giant across the border would be so easy to beat. Stress must have gotten the better of me. My priest agreed, and we sent the duchess of Ribatejo to marry a Castilian noble. An alliance would form within the month.

Come July of next year, I still felt weak. Castilians were at the gates of the final Andalucian stronghold in Iberia, and the English were going crazy in Ireland. But then, I looked south. Moroccans and Tunisians were overrunning Algiers, and I knew where I would expand my dominion.

EU3_8.png

The disapproval of other kings was a small price to pay, I declared war without any justification. Using the Moroccan forces to my advantage, I occupied Oran, and prepared to engage the Sultan's army in the east. He had 9,000 troops trying to break a Tripolitanian siege of 3,000 infantry. 9,000 troops led by Nuno Alveres Pereira ambushed the force from the south. The battle lasted weeks, and either side could lose, but on April 22, 1402, The Portuguese flag waved at Oran, which I was able to take in a peace deal without losing the battle in the East. So Portugal finally began its road to glory, and I would guide its first steps.

EU3_9.png

Edit: The English were going crazy in Ireland, not Iberia.

Last edited:
A quick jaunt into North Africa to build up prestige and military tradition (and maybe snag a few provinces) is never a bad idea if you can afford it. Nice to see that that went off without a hitch (relatively speaking).