• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

fulic1

Captain
4 Badges
Mar 15, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
This is the AAR thread for The New and Glorious EU3 Campaign, a multiplayer game with 16 players.

Link to the game thread

The starting position and players

For this campaign Europe is quite packed by a mix of newer and more experienced players.

In Iberian region we have Vaszil, a long time eu3 player who has mostly played smaller nations, taking the helm of the powerful Castille. Castille’s neighbor Portugal is lead by dps, with the naval scene pretty open Portugal has many options. To the south is the capable Clonefusion, leading Morocco. Наполек’s Mamluks occupies eastern africa and some of the middle east.

Leading western Europe we have France in the hands of a relatively experienced player, Marshon. Right next door to complicate things for France is a Simon’s Burgundy. On the naval scene is Elias who leads England.

In the core of Europe lies the HRE and the vast majority of the players. At the center of it all is Iwanow leading the powerful nation of Austria. Bordering Iwanow is Brundd, one of the most experienced players in this campaign, campaigning the nation of Milan. Between the two superpowers lies the nation of Switzerland, who is being played by teethox. Further in the east we find the leader of the Venetian trade league, Venice, owned by none other than Toscana. To rival the Venetian league, we have n00blord’s Hansa leading the Hanseatic league.

Beyond the borders of the HRE lives the eastern european nations. In the core of Eastern Europe lies the gm and relatively experienced player, fulic1, with the nation of Poland. To it’s north is Denmark, leader of the kalmar union, controlled by Ure. Immediately to the east is a returning experienced mp player, HazeII with Novgorod. Over in Anatolia is a relatively newer player, Beelsebubi leading the large Ottoman empire.

I will edit the first post to be nicer later, but the demand for the thread was growing too great to delay.

Links to AARs

Castille:
Session 1
Session 2

France:
Session 1

Milan:
Session 1
Session 2

Novgorod:
Session 1

Poland
Session 1
Session 2

Venice:
Session 1

Last edited:
France normally starts as a strong country with very good potential, A lot of rich core provinces to the east in burgundy, as well as a lot of cored provinces in her vassals. It can also release these vassals in a fake war,losing infamy. before reconquesting them, Thus infamy early game is less of a problem. However, in this game we had a player in burgundy making that approach a bit more tricky.

My pregame deals included: Nap with Austria 50 year. DA and NAP with Burgundy for 50 years. Nap with Milan, Nap with England for two sessions, I also had an agreement to join the hansa´s trade league for 400 ducats. And DA with Ottoman for the first session only.

The first few years was rather boring as i was just allying vassals, building up my army to around 42 thousand while conquering provence. At this point I also guarantees brittany as a certain La Toscana have a habit of taking vassals around me, Around 4 years into the game i see castile´s fleet sneaking around brittany and right after i get a CTA from brittany, that i foolishly accepted. Burgundy honored our DA and joined the war on my side

Castile unloaded 12k in brittany, I had two stacks in provence and i used them to try and get rid of the castile stack, he retreated back into his ships, and i went out with my fleet to stop his troops from escaping. Needlessly to say, i lost the naval battle and did not manage to wipe his stack, i then did a mistake and tried to stop him from retreating again, thus getting my fleet wiped not checking its morale.

After that we proceeded to move our troops down to aragon, at first holding the mountains and slowly trying to advance. until burgundy gets a crazy plan, and without asking for thought nor backup he moves one of his stacks into toledo and the other into the plains in Valencia, when i see spain moving down i try and advance a bit into Navarra and the province of Aragón, the war consisted of some smaller skirmishes (We lost all of them in casualties, charge cav stronk) although, being the idiot that i am, after a while i did a mistake and moved one of my stack into plains, and to top it off, when he initiated a battle and instead of retreating into mountains and regrouping i send my troops into plains to battle, getting massacred. I try to make an efficient retreat, but im way too disorganized and the result is around half my troops getting wiped.

At this point it looks really dark, my 45k is reduced to 26k, burgundy is only using 50% of his troops to this war (for some reason? ): ) and being outmatched by charge cavalry, when suddenly
Enter deus ex machina!
My king dies, this makes me enter a PU with Austria. And, iwanow being the unpredictable fellow he is, decided to help me. (The glorious moment when i saw 40k austrians coming to the rescue)

With the austrian troops incoming, and two newly built french stacks, the war was looking much brighter. we pushed the iberians back a bit into castile, and started sieging Navarra. This position was held for a long time, and seeing as Austria probably got bored, he declared war on poland! (yay) this lead to burgundy, the hansa and england joining poland against Austria. and suddenly this war got increased a lot in size.

Annoyingly, I had a NAP with England and Burgundy so, I was not allowed to fight them. So basically i did nothing in the war except standing with 4 stacks andtrying to keep polish, and turkish troops away from being able to enter burgundy to help him. (They wiped a Moroccan stack when i didn't pay attention, Good job Clonefuision!) Seeing as we was clearly outnumbered, Austria decided to peace spain, by giving away 4 of my provinces (Without asking me first...) Although in the end we still lost the other war too

Last edited:
The Sultan of Morocco - Intro

Here we are in Morocco, a country in northwestern Africa, the so-called Maghreb, the Straits of Gibraltar and the Iberian Peninsula to the North, Algiers to the East, the Sahara to the South and the Atlantic to West. Morocco is a mountainous country, protected by the Atlas Mountains from the Sahara as well as gaining rich ressources like Gold, Iron and Copper from them. To the northwest of these mountains lies the moroccan heartland, which allows the Berber to produce Olives from their warm climate.
This rich land was at that time ruled by the Marinid Dynasty, the third in a row of 3 very successful Berber Dynasties. Although one can declare these 3 Dynasties as very succesful, they also failed in the end and the rich andalusian land has gradually been lost to Christians and the last invasion had failed around 50 years ago. This moroccan county was the strongest of the 3 countries in the Maghhreb with the highest income and the strongest army.

Last edited:
Glorious Russia: Session One

The unification of Russian people::

Yeufimei II: 1399-1403
Yeufimei II's first goal upon his inauguration, with the goal to unite the Russian people, sent alliance offers to the neighboring nations of Tver and Ryazan. After the alliances were secured, the next order of business for the new Posadnik was to order the training of 10,000 new troops to bring up the army to par with the republic's neighbors. During the same period of time colonists were sent to the distant province of Kola to secure a naval base on the Barents Sea. In need of money, the Posadnik introduced Church taxes to help finance the republics plans. On April of 1401, reports came in from Yeufimei's spies that the neighboring kingdom of Musowy was facing trouble with the hordes. The Posadnik hoping to use the weakness to secure Novgorod hegemony in the region and retake the province of Kostroma, declared on the nation. With most of Muscow's armies defeated, the soldiers were quickly able to occupy the provinces of Vladimir, Nizhny Novgorod, and Kostroma.
Em6pLvobZt5L2eZwEqqWxA8K1ACjtkYo4qMer13CiCQRqd1NzRmU22QSthJOaZCQpAsNR3vsae370oTq9EDUmBt8Rn0D8-rzEpC_mskbbSjWxQ0aLrqRfmuVZdq1pqBTOHk

In late 1402, Muscowy in a last ditch effort to recover their nation sent 10,000 troops to Murom to attack the besieging Novgorod forces. At the same time they sent 4,000 troops to Vladimir to hold up the 11,000 Novgorodian troops there from reinforcing Murom. This prompted a retreat to the province of Volodga, while orders were drafted for the recruitment of 8,000 new troops. Contrary to Novgorodian intentions used the opportunity to make a separate peace with Muscow in exchange for Vyazma and the release of Murom. This deeply angered Yeufimei because this gave the horde the chance to take Murom.
Z6IIm_L7VRxskShqcOSQV9ppktRugz2BJnmjq9jsQPbwiDuwkQLqFzzF3VntqUhc_EATWpfCRaeCZ9hvPxElNScSW0N9Kleu4l_TNWjpZ0U3lyCJ2tjjk76ZqOiM-mSL9fM

The Posadnik furious at his armies defeat and Tver's betrayal, decided to personally lead the new troops and give a speech to inspire his troops. Unfortunately he fell off his horse and was trampled to death by his horse two days before arriving in Kostroma.

Feodoisy I: 1403-1407
The troops inspired by his moving speech nonetheless went on to kill the 8,000 troops in Kostroma and the 8,000 troops in Vladimir. With the wipe of Muscow's troops the war effectively ended and all that was left was to re siege the Muscowian provinces. Thus elections began for the next Posndik, Feodoisy managed to win the election with his promise to get revenge on Tver for their betrayal during the war. In March of 1404, the treaty of Moskva was signed and Muscowy was no more. The horde used the Novgorodian war to annex the vast majority of Ryazan and the newly created nation of Murom. Feodoisy intended to keep his promise, so he recruited some more troops and in May declared war on Tver. A week later spies reported Ryazan falling to the horde, so war was declared in the hopes of vassalizing Ryazan to save the Russians from the evil Tartars. Feodoisy spared no time in crushing the Tverian army in their capital and in December made them a vassal to the mighty republic.
mxmcolVJ3R_A7aS7bmFJWHBINraBdAhDolAqkqAO44DnoTTpW-Him2nqwhkAOSkbpUQi2Bwds0Jjo8ixsOVBzzeTMoi5KKVM4de0a8JsOJuXeVdkezVjj6lIUi_15pGMO1U

Feodoisy then turned his head to foreign affairs, and watched as Poland and Denmark split up the Teutons among themselves. Feodoisy's next order of business was the reformation of the government to an admin republic. To the Posadnik's surprise, a Hanseatic envoy had an offer from the Statthalter to join his trade league in exchange for monetary support. After some negotiation with the envoy, Novgorod accepted the proposal. The report that the horde had not completely annexed Ryazan but instead left them as an opm vassal, left the Posadnik surprised. So he quickly ordered troops to take the province and make it a vassal of Novgorod instead.

Daniil I: 1407-ongoing
In late 1407, Feodoisy lost the election due to his actions in Ryazan, in his place, Daniil was named Posadnik. With Ryazan vassalized, the internal Russian wars were completed with only Yaroslavl the sole remaining free country in the region. Now the new leader was faced with the bigger problem of the growing horde to the south. Daniil, eager to fix the war ravaged republic, sent traders to Hansa to help the economy recover. Another envoy arrived in the Posadnik’s court, this time though it was the far away nation of Austria. The Austrian envoy then petitioned Novgorod to join a war against Poland, to which Daniil promptly refused, stating Novgorodian neutrality. So the new leader sent out spies to figure out what the situation was in the west.
OPeFsqJBKH4H7RJtL_pvboeFdP6LEeSyAYYzKMhWEeWpNRnfT6wil_5bBHUVH5lElxkBehnPJIlmqcfjTBEF39XvXwLMJSSZUw0053J6bV1fu9xP48sBRqUyZfX1h3sbqWM

What he heard shocked him, practically all of Europe was at war and it didn’t show any signs of stopping soon. Danill watched closely as Castile and Poland led both of their sides to victory against Austria. Danill’s main concern was what the Ottoman empire and Poland’s demands, he was relieved when he heard the only took some austrian provinces in the middle of the empire. The next order of business was to look back at his own republic’s situation. To prepare for the eventual horde invasion, the army was doubled and sent to strategic positions within the republic. In 1418, Daniil integrated Tver into the glorious republic.
TMeLvCjP-jqWTQLCvbjBAjSXrNJWhsv9K_DAlDX7jOzXiLBlkGuR2fb-nt4fkE53zCUy4X5M_XWnF_bAM_fNXbgA1zLEVXOWJdwNpI7KWjYUQ1OOZZtANAqlHVc5QMGmCJ4

Last edited:
The Not Very Serene Republic of Venice : Session 1 1399-1419
This AAR will be mostly action based, and is an offering to my Lord and Master Fulic King of Poland and Grand Master of the Monday Game. As a disclaimer grammar will be poor and hyperbole will be used in excess.
The Venetian Republic in 1399.
JHRw91G.png

Venice begins the game as a merchant republic in control of one of the most valuable COTs in the game, it also starts highly naval focused making troops more expensive and fleets cheaper than its competitors. It also starts with the rather unique boon of possessing an admiral Carlo Xeno, which allows you to capture fleets rather more successfully than normal in naval combat.
In opening diplomacy Venice approached Turkey, Milan, Austria and England over membership of her trade league. Turkey agreed to join in return for Athens and an alliance, Milan agreed in return for Venice selling him the Liguria COT, this was beneficial to both parties since it vastly boosted Milan’s income and removed Genoa as a competitor trade league enabling Venetian monopolisation of the Mediterranean. Austria was convinced to remain in my trade league in return for protection versus external threats and securing the Slovenia Gold provinces for him, this deal has yet to be completed due to external events. England agreed to join my trade league in return for 300 ducats and help in obtaining island vassals in the Mediterranean.

Externally from Venice it was made clear that France, Russia and Poland would all join the Hanseatic Trade league, that Poland had acquired defensive alliances against Austria with Burgundy, Turkey and the Hansa, Venice hoped this would lead to a stable European settlement and allow her to prosper in her attempts to cross oceans.
As opening moves in 1399, Venice sent out invites to her trade league and began the construction of galleys in every coastal province and sent out merchants to Venice. Our opening war was to be a war of conquest on the Kingdom of Sicily, Sicily is a rather useful island for Venice due to its decent base tax and high base manpower, with the help of England naval support the navies of Sicily and her allies Aragon and Brittany were crushed and over 10 galleys captured and added to Grand Fleet.

The war dragged on for some time due to English refusal to invade Aragon in force, however rather fortuitous event occurred, Castille seeking to antagonise France had declared war on Brittany, France being rather foolish responded to this act of aggression with a declaration of war on Castile this presented a wonderful opportunity to vassalise Brittany under France’s nose whilst she was busy, the opportunity was jumped upon and another 4 land force limit was added to Venice its already growing ability to field a sizable army.

Venice’s next offensive operation was against the Republic of Genoa, Genoa was swiftly annexed with Milanese consent and Liguria sold to Milan as per our deal, this greatly boosted the value of the Venetian COT.
Venice’s main economic strategy in this session was to begin by rushing for government tech 4 and taking Church attendance duty for Gilded Iconography giving +3 culture traditions allowing for the upkeep of top level advisors at minimal magistrate cost and subsequently swapping for National trade policy to boost income and rushing for Trade tech 7 for QFTNW.

Venice watched on in amusement as Austria joined France in her war versus Castille and then subsequently declared war on Poland as if the challenge of fighting charge cavalry in the Pyrenees was too insignificant a challenge.
However far more worrying news had arrive from the East, the Russian Sultan of the Mamluks had decided to expand in Indo-China and Bengal, this was a startling revelation and one which threatened the entire Venetian strategy of conquering a vast colonial empire in the east.
lm1IjZy.png

The decision by Mamluks to expand in what Venice saw as her birth right, means diplomatic overtures were made to find allies in order to destroy this vile threat, there was but one phrase on the lips on the Venetian people MAMLUKS DELENDA EST.

A coalition of sorts was formed between the aligned interests of Morocco, Turkey and Venice and a war of without mercy was launched upon the enemies of Venice, Turkey marched her troops deep into Syria as Venice landed in Palestine and Morocco marched west into Libya, the war was short an victorious, the peace terms were:
Aleppo and Damascus to Turkey,
Judea to Venice
Sinai and Diamentia to Morocco

Map showing the state of the middle east post peace deal

bXnqlsT.png

With this final hurrah the session ended and Venice returned to plotting the destruction and humiliation of her enemies.

Attachments

• JHRw91G.png
    JHRw91G.png
    221,5 KB · Views: 47
  • lm1IjZy.png
    lm1IjZy.png
    455,8 KB · Views: 76
  • bXnqlsT.png
    bXnqlsT.png
    423,1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Milan AAR Session 1: 1399-1419

The First Steps Towards Milanese Greatness

In 1399 Milan is in a bad position, it has crappy sliders, only 7 provinces (2 of which are non-cored HRE provinces which means stabhits and low income), no custom missions, and is surrounded by stronger nations. The only positive thing about Milan is that it is a monarchy and a member of the HRE, giving Imperial Integrity and cores upon inheriting a fellow HRE-member.
In some rare cases Milan can ascend to power but this requires Austria to implode in order to make Milan the prime target for Emperorship. However, in this campaign Burgundy is also played and the route to German HRE-lands is further blocked by a human Switzerland. So the goals of Milan for the first few sessions are pretty clear: try to grab all the Italian minors as soon as possible, form Italy in 1450, laugh while the other Europeans kill each other, get less poor, and maybe grab some land overseas.

VXCf0rU.png

Pre-game diplo was done with Venice (Trade League stuff and Liguria), and non-aggression pacts (NAP) were signed with France (who gave up claims to Savoy, good guy France) and with Austria in exchange for giving up my claim to the Aquileian gold provinces, a thing I rather not do but Austria gets a very strong mission on Milan so I had no other choice.

In order for Milan to form Italy it needs a core on Siena (will happen in 1449) and it needs to own and have cored Ancona/Firenze/Roma. So the standard opening move is to insult the Papal States twice (to not get extra stabhits because of good relations) and declare war on them without CB. This immediately gives the possibility to pass the Declare Statute in Restraint of Appeals decision. Genoa, Sardinia and Sicily (which made Venice very happy) joined the war on the Papal side but all the enemy armies were easily beaten.
Roughly a year later Mantua joined too after which it was promptly vassalised, later followed by annexation of the Papal States. Soon after this a royal marriage was agreed upon with Ferrara (the only Italian minor who has a claimable throne in 1399), their throne was claimed, the royal marriage was broken (-1 stab) and war was declared. Savoy joined on their side giving Milan yet another vassal, and a PU was formed with Ferrara.

Next, Venice graciously sold Liguria to Milan for 0 ducats, giving some much needed income. Government tech 4 was reached (is always easy in the beginning as Italian nation because of all the universities) and Church Attendance Duty was picked as National Idea, which was switched to Military Drill after enacting Gilded Iconography.

Pisa was released as vassal in order to avoid the stabhit and 14.5 infamy, I managed to avoid the event by being at war all the time (it only fires when both the owner and the emperor are at peace).
At this point the good missions started coming, first a vassilizing mission on Tuscany, and after completion a vassilizing mission on Urbino. Naples joined Urbino in the war, resulting in Milan owning all of the Italian mainland after vassalising both of them.

Things considerably calmed down after all the wars, only thing left to do was tech and build constables, armories etc. while watching the big European war unfold.
Meanwhile Hungary was still independent and relatively strong, so the AI thought it was a good idea to attack the Ottomans. The Ottomans were busy fighting the Timurids and thus wanted some help versus the Hungarians, a call which both Milan and Morocco happily answered. The Hungarian armies were surprisingly resilient while being led by their shock 5 king, but it is the AI after all so beating them is not really a challenge. As a token of gratitude Ottomans gifted Milan the provinces of Croatia, Dalmatia and Osijek, along with Ragusa as vassal, and gifted Slavonia to Morocco.

To conclude, in 1419 Milan is still relatively weak and poor compared to some other European powers, but compared to 1399 it is a huge improvement.
The plans for the next session(s) are less clear cut (except for hoping on annexation missions on Urbino and Tuscany for cores), expansion possibilities are limited and it will be at least another 40 years before Milan can start to trade and thus become rich. Nevertheless the political situation in Europe looks promising, and rather safe for Milan.

bHsVfRH.png

The slider moves during this session were to free trade twice, a move towards aristocracy thanks to an event, and another event giving a free subjects move.

At the end of the session Morocco/Ottomans/Venice declared war on the Mamluks and unsurprisingly managed to win 3v1. The peace deal includes cutting Mamluks in 3 pieces, an action I severely condemn but won't do anything about (doesn't that sound familiar).

(next time I will take screenshots)

Last edited:
The Polish AAR for 1st session (1399-1419)

How things were supposed to be

Poland starts out as a quite powerful country, because of it's PU over a huge Lithuania and nice expansion opportunities. It also has two strong 2 province vassals in Mazovia and Moldavia. In 1399 it is at war with the Golden Horde, but that war can be ended initilly by paying tribute, which automatically cancels itself because a lack of a border, but results in often desired peace anyways. Before the game start, I made cunning plans to expand in 3 different directions. In the north my goal was to take all but 4 provinces from the Teutonic Order using the great generic missions Poland gets. In the west I wanted all Saxon and Pommeranian land. In the south the throne of Hungary awaited being claimed by me.

The first step was supposed to be forcing a personal union with the Hungarians, hoping Pommerania would join on their side and the war ending with Hungary in PU and Pommerania vassalized. During the following peace of a month or so, the plan was to join Poland in to the HRE by releasing Ukraine as an OPM vassal and selling the province of Torun to Mazovia. After that the chances of Bohemia accepting provinces into the empire are high enough. The Teutonic subjugation was to follow in two quick wars and Brandenburgian throne supposed to be claimed right after Burgundy had completed the job of annexing Luxembourg. Rest of the desired German land would no doubt give Casus Bellis for it's taking. Everything seemed well planned and the future of Poland bright.

In this screenshot I have marked with red the land Poland has at game start and with yellow the land I wanted to take during the 1st session.

S6KCn22.png

During pregame diplomacy, every attempt at guarenteeing peace with Austria failed at his insistance, that all HRE land belonged to Austria. I managed to get an agreenment with him about Austria not guarenteeing Hungary at start and the right to conquer Brandenburg without interference for a promise to sell him 3 Croatian provinces in the future. To secure peace with Austria, Poland initiated and signed some overkill public defensive agreenments against him with Burgundy, Ottomans and The Hansa. I also agreed to join Hansaetic trade league and made a NAP with Russia. On top of that I made a deal about the split of Teuton lands with Denmark.

How things actually went

Part 1: The initial failure

I started the game by peacing out the Golden Horde and making a RM with Hungary for the claimation of it's throne. About two days into the game poor Poland got the peasants war event which made me unable to declare war on Hungary before it got an heir and I lost my chance. Things were looking grim indeed.

Luckily I had a mission to conquer Danzig, so I panic-charged there when I got stab back to -2. Teutonic Order was allied with Pommerania (which Denmark was threatening to take as it had already declared war on Teutonic Order, bringing Pommerania into the war as well on the Teutons' side) so I hoped to quickly snatch it as well. Unfortunately Pommerania (nor anyone) didn't join the war and I started feeling a little desperate. Then I noticed the Pommeranian trone was claimable and even better, Bohemia was at war with them alongside the Danes, allowing me to fight them without the emperor interfering, so I quickly went the RM-claim throne-war route. I did get there on time and took Pommerania as a PU and in addition it's allies Riga, Wurzburg and Saxe-Lauenburg as vassals in the war. From TO I took only Danzig and Warmia, leaving the rest to be vassalized after the truce ran out. Things started looking a little less hopeless.

Chapter 2: New opportunies arise

Meanwhile my dear neighbour Austria had claimed the Bohemian throne and pressed his claim via war. Lucky for him, Bohemian troops were in the north and occupying them super easy, making Austria get emperorship early. This messed up my plans as I had initially planned to join the HRE via Bohemia after PUing Hungary. As nothing had went as planned and I had panic charged into TO, I had no way of getting into the empire if Austria didn't let me in. In his graciousness he actually did let me in, so I now had the whole HRE open for conquest.

Poland promptly claimed and declared war for the throne of The Palatinate, which was allied with Saxony, Anhalt and Augsburg, giving some awesome targets. Alas, Austria interfered, demanding me not to take Saxony and The Palatinate. I knew he could not force me to give them up via war because of my defensive agreenments, but decided to be nice. The war left Poland only gaining petty Anhalt as a vassal, instead of a rich PU and 2 electors. The decision had been made for friendly relations, which were seen more important than expansion and power.

In 1406 Brandenburg got itself free from the grasp of Luxemburg, so I claimed it's throne with a spy and PUd it. I occupied it's ally Wurttenberg, but didn't vassalize it, because Austria again asked me not to. It was annoying that he was blocking my expansion like that, when he didn't seem to bother taking the stuff himself. Friendly relations with the HRE were still seen important and Poland was following the path of peaceful neighbourship. At that point I realized I could pass statute of restraint appeals, so I did it and started improving relations with the Papal State to not risk excommunication. At this point Poland was content with it's early expansion, even if everything hadn't gone as planned.

Bit 3: The turnaround

The peasants war had just ended in the previous year and Poland was just minding it's own business, teching for the first time during the session and improving relations with PUs, when a juicy opportunity presented itself in 1409. The throne of Baden was claimable. I did not care for Baden itself, but it was allied with Hesse, enabling the vassalization of it instead through that war. I struck a deal with Switzerland, giving him the right to vassalize Baden via Alliance CB after I had peaced it and went to war. A while into the war, after I had wiped the AI troops and carpet sieged Baden and it's allies (Wurttenberg, Ulm, Hesse), Austria sent a threat again, demanding white peace with Baden. I responded by saying Baden was going to Switzerland and even showed that I was not intending to take land near him by peacing out Ulm that I had occupied. Austria then proceeded to swiftly DoW me and wipe some sieging troops of mine. I called in Burgundy, Hansa and Ottomans, as agreed by our defenseve agreenments.

The war with Austria was quite uneventful. He was already fighting alongside France against Castille in the south and England on top of that, so our alliance proceeded to swiftly occupy Austria. I got a new peasants war (yey!) a few months into the war and poor king Vladislav died in 1413 with the war still raging and was followed by a regency(yey!). The union of Austria-France then surrendered to Castille and occupied southern Burgundy. Both sides stood facing each other with Burgundy begging us to charge and free his land. Morocco (who had joined the war for badly needed prestige) answered his call by charging French troops with 7k charge cav and wiping himself by retreating into another French stack. After some pressure from English troops in the north, me and Burgundy were able to liberate southern Burgundy. After the following glorious English cavalry charge wiped Austrians in the north, Austria surrendered. I decided to be nice and only asked for cancellation of two OPM vassals, of which one Austria could re-diplovassalize after the war, because friendly relations with neighbours are cool. Ottomans and Burgundy did take a gold province each, making the war at least a little costly for Austria.

Angered by the Austrian declaration of war, Poland vassalized Salzburg and Wurttenberg along with Hesse during the war against Austria. As one of his final acts as a monarch, Vladislav declared war against the Teutonic Order which resulted in subjugation of the Teutonic knights and the archbishopric of Bremen. During the war Poland reached government tech 4 and picked CAD as 1st NI to pass gilded iconography. I then switched it to MD.

The final years of the session were spent in a boring regency, which will last 4 more years into the next session.

So here's a map of what Poland got during 1st session. On yellow is marked the land I wanted, on red the land I got.

5FgTHbg.png

Overall I'm a bit dissapointed, but at least on one front everything went as planned. Poland did get a few extra vassals from the HRE to help with the lack of Saxon and Hungarian land.

Next time I hope to actually take some screenshots during the session.

Last edited:
Chapter 01 -The Arrival (Bottles and Women First)

I had never been here before but still I knew: this is the place. It was dark and bitter cold – it seemed I arrived in the middle of a late thunderstorm. Or at least from what I know, thunderstorms are not at all usual in the middle of October. Even in a shithole like this. My vision was blurred because of the weather or maybe as a side-effect of the Shift, I did not know – still I could see the grim walls of the castle of Toledo dead ahead of me. I looked at the date: 14th October 1399. It was a strange, yet familiar feeling somehow. „So it begins.”

kYvwuz9.jpg

I knew the others were also creeping around. I did not know them very well, but I did not have to anyway: it was more than enough to know they were there as well, somewhere, all quite similar to me: prowling in the night, looking for their prey. Of course they were quite different from me and from each other: a few of them I knew better, others I had no knowledge of at all. Some of them preferred a fair fight, while others would always stick to the ways of the shadows. Some were true masterminds of the Sytem, others mere settlers of a new dimension. But first of all, they stood no chance this time. It has been decided, even before it began - I was here for the first time, yet I had been here numerous times. I knew the drill. And I planned to truly tilt the board this time.

Well, in the end, it was not entirely my fault that things unfolded otherwise.

I reached the castle in no time, and tricking the guards was child's play for me anyway. I knew the others did not hold off themselves too. Setting off without delay is critical if you are to make any success in a competition like this – also getting into the bedroom of unsuspecting victims in the middle of the night offers some other... opportunities as well. I looked for the Royal Chambers and found it quite easily. King Enrique of the House of Trastamara was sleeping there and had absolutely no clue that he and his realm were just about to lose all their independence (and sanity, for that matter) to a simple adventurer: to a wanderer of the Shift, who would value those not more than a beer at the bar at the corner of the street. Unfortunately for the people of the land, there were no bars at all in medieval Castile, so I had nothing better to do than usurping the role of the king and challenge the other Shifters for superiority. We all knew: there can be only one in the end.

The court recognized next to nothing about the change of guard. Well, they were at first of course a bit surprised by the sudden change in the king's behaviour itself, but after some swift executions and banishments those who were still around somehow learned not to fuck with me... well, with King Enrique anymore. I had not been considered a veteran Shifter before but taking the role of a monarch and using him as puppet for my goals – that was absolutely the game of my type.

In the next few weeks I made some changes in the way the Castilian Crown treated its subjects – appointed some capable guys as court advisers for the king, and in general tried to make my... well, His Majesty's grip on the country a bit stronger than it had been before. Time was not a factor for us – we all had our special suits to protect us from the dimension of time during our... expeditions. Suits us well, I have to admit.

As news started to arrive from all of Europe, I could more or less determine where the other Shifters might had landed at: like all hell got loose in a second, wars broke out between countries that used to be friends for ages, century long alliances were broken and new ones between nations vying for power since time immemorial were signed. Great powers of the continent melted away in the hands of previously unknown duchies. I was always truly amazed by this... turmoil. That is why one becomes an adventurer like this in the first place I guess.

But I did not want to be left behind, and being on the offenive is the best defense anyway, so I looked around for targets and quickly found the petty Kingdom of Granada just on my... our southern border. The Sultan had no real allies, and I suspected the Shifter taking control of the Maghred would not object at all. The campaign was swift and glorious, the (former) lands of Granada fell into my... our hands within weeks, and I quickly ordered the annexation of them into the Kingdom.

I was just about to usurp the throne of the Kingdom of Aragon when ill news reached Toledo – a newborn child was born to their stupid king without my permission, thus claiming their lands „to be protected for future generations if the king happens to die without an heir” became pretty much impossible. I was furious and had the messenger executed (among several unfortunate fellas standing around idle). That was not to be expected. Nor the child. I came here to lead a glorious charge through the very heart of Europe, to change the direction history takes in this sad dimension of reality for ever, and then a pathetic fat fuck sitting on a ruined throne tries to screw me over in a way like this...?! Although I wanted to save it for more cheerful moments, I had to take a sip from the spirit I managed to smuggle through the Shift-Control. I saw the borders shrinking around me – and not only because the spirit was quite strong. I saw all the small, independent lands falling under foreign control and I became claustrophobic. Being claustrophobic usually makes me desperate. Being slightly drunk makes me even more desperate and for that, several hudreds of thousand of human beings payed with their lives. But that was something nobody has suspected to happen. Nobody, maybe except for me.

L0ZHGVX.gif
Retiring courtiers in Castile at their Pensioner Ceremony​

Taking a quick glance on the map I always had at me I saw the Kingdom of Britanny still holding out being sandwiched between the English, the French and some greedy Venetians shipping their „democracy” to every possible places around the seas – maybe to even more places they should... But that was really not the task at hand at that time.

Quickly I had King Enrique declaring war on the poor Bretons, claiming to be intervening in a war I do not remember anymore – and when I got news about French troops advancing upon our armies I was not surprised at all. However when I saw the Burgundian colours behind the French banners I became a bit afraid, to be honest – a thing some courtiers payed with their lives for once again. That was also the time when things went wrong in the first place.

I had some rough nights in my hidden chambers at those times, and at some point I was feeling that my journey here will come to an end way too soon. I consumed many candels, bottles of wine and even more sluts during that campaign but the situation was only improving in a really slow pace. There was of course the matter of the Pyrenees, that which neither us, nor the French could cross without any serious casualties being inflicted upon ourselves by the other. However the enemy Shifters had a workaround for this by gaining acces for their armies through the lands of Aragon – a feature I had no hope to counter at that time because of my former... impolite actions towards that fat fuck they claimed to be their king.

What the enemy did not know however, was that the fierce mounted warriors of Granada did not just disappear with the fall of their country – instead I had them enlisted into our ranks, bolstering the capabilitites of our armies beyond imagination. After many skirmishes which in fact lasted for years my envoys were finally successful in bribing the Fat Fuck of Aragon into allowing my armies making operations through „his lands” as well. (He is going to pay that gold back with interest, I can promise that – and I accept fertile lands as interest, for that matter.) And that was the point when I almost won the war – I had the French and Burgundian armies massacred, trampled under the hoofs of our charging cavalry, but then... then the stupid king of the French had to ruin everything by dying without a goddamn heir.

bhCGqAX.png
The French and Burngundian troops are about to be annihilated by the Andalusian cavalry​

That was the second time I almost made a back-Shift, because I was quite close to getting a stroke – a condition that could be hardly treated in my own dimension let alone in this godforsaken world of sorry peasants led by even more sorry Shifters. I needed a full cellar of nice Iberian wine and a full brothel of even finer Andalusian girls to get over with my sudden lethargy – meanhwile our exhausted troops, out of supplies, were seeking refuge on home ground, being pursued by wretched Imperial troops pouring in from the east, claiming to protect „their subjects” after that corpse of an Emperor, child's toy of his Shifter was elected King of France somehow.

I had little hope left and was spending most of my time in the brothel or in the cellar. My powers over King Enrique were dwindling because of me drowning in alcohol and fornication, and because of that he even had some clear moments, first time in years. Sadly enough that did not serve him well (nor me, to be honest), as during one of these sober days he decided to leave for the front to encourage his troops against the enemy – he promptly died soon after he arrived there by a French archer leaving me with even more desire for wine and women, as all I got to influence then were his two children, both well below the age of fifteen. In the meantime the stupid Imperials were besieging Bilbao, a quite insignificant fort to the north, not realizing that it would take ages for them to finish it with my generals defending the walls.

CENSORED.SVG
The Shifter of Castile among his concubines /Unknown painter - oil, canvas, cca. 1412/​

When I had exhausted myself with all the possible whores I could harvest from Andalusia (while the Imperials were still trying to fill the moats of Bilbao all the way up to the walls with their own dejecta), I was beginning to wonder if there was possible to create cyan capsules by medieval methods. That was the time when the unexpected happened – with all the Imperial troops still chasing Basque peasant girls in the Pyrenees in a moment of confusion the Shifter in control of the corpse of the Emperor turned on Poland. It was a country that had become quite significant in the last few years while I was occupied with my other commitments towards... the fresh flowers of the Andalusian plains. With this move I was spared by the burden of occupying Vienna myself, a thing I was more than thankful for since the city was quite far from my current area of operations.

Still a few years had to pass before my new puppet, King Carlos I could sign the peace treaty with the Imperials – he (or more like me) gained vast territories in Southern France, which are going to serve us well in the future. And not only because it helps with the encirclement of the Fat Fuck just to the east of my Kingdom.

g8mzHJU.png

With all that being done, I could finally return to my... girlfriends while I let Carlos rebuild the counrty from the wreckage 10 years of constant war had turned into. To pass the time between the bottles and the concubines, I played darts using a quite expensive portrait picturing the Venetian Doge, Enzo Priuli himself.

Last edited:
Chapter 02 - The Essence (Pictures From Home)

Mmenzci.png

Technically this is but one picture, but in the meantime it contains many-many meta-pictures about the session.

(open in new tab for full size)

Yes, this screenshot catches many essences of the session, one of them is "you lost" ; )

Shouldn't you be writing the rest of your AAR instead of criticizing the glorious comeback?

Sorry. I´m a bit butthurt about losing 2/3 of my forces in a single battle and not getting a single wipe of it : p

Milan AAR Session 2: 1419-1435

Austria's Betrayal

In the previous AAR I forgot to mention that I passed the following decisions:
- Church Tax
- Expand Bureaucracy

I started this session with the idea to get the annex Tuscany/Urbino mission for Italy formation and to build a lot of stuff in order to increase my income, even getting a decent amount of inflation for it if needed. Many missions were get rid of by either completing them or by using tricks to get them to fail, unfortunately not once during the whole session did I get the right missions, quite unlucky.

A few years into the game I somehow got a CB on Aragon, I was not interested in Aragon itself since that would mean certain death by the hands of Castile, but they were allied with Avignon which makes for a nice vassalisation target. War was declared and both the Aragon and Avignon armies were beaten easily, the war would go on for quite a while since sieging the level 3 fort in Avignon takes forever, but that is probably only a good thing in this case because of war taxes. During the war I managed to diplovassalise Corsica after 3-4 attempts (alliance, royal marriage and 190+ relations).

CSgGBzC.jpg
War is raging yet again between Castile and Austria/Burgundy

L0BiJ7Q.jpg
Free slider move​

The other slider moves during this session were to free trade twice, unfortunately not enough in order to start trading, in fact I even lost my 5 merchants in Liguria.

Meanwhile Castile lost the war and France (without being in the war!!!) got his provinces back, except for the vassals of Dauphiné and Provence. However, this was still not enough for Austria who broke the truce and declared war on Castile once again, this time with France on its side. England was upset by this injustice and joined the war on the Castilian side.
During the war I noticed it was possible to get a Claim on Throne casus belli on Aragon by forging documents in Barcelona. Getting a personal union with Aragon would be a possibility for me if Castile would die, which was possible after endless Austrian aggression. Furthermore, Aragon was allied to Dauphiné meaning I would gain something either way.
Burgundy in the meantime joined the Austrian-French side in the war and things were looking grim for Castile. Therefore I offered my help against Burgundy once my truce ran out (I had some fake war 4 years earlier).

A year later things were looking better after England and Castile managed a glorious comeback, and France decided to white peace because he was tired of the war. After enquiring whether Milanese assistance was still required it became clear war was imminent. War was declared on Burgundy and the war front switched to the area between the northern Italian plains and the southern Alps. Austria joined the war versus Milan on Burgundy's side because of its alliance, a normal thing to do even when having a NAP. Normally white peace is immediately signed between the napped parties after that, however Austria went mad and engaged my troops in Verona, thereby breaking our NAP. Breaking a NAP is considered pure evil in the current EU3 community so this moment of insanity (more like a constant state of insanity) of Austria sparked outrage all over Europe and even spread to other continents.

cKgJJC0.jpg
Citizens of the Kingdom of Morocco tearing apart an Austrian flag after hearing about the NAP breaking​

Poland and its allies joined the war on my side afterwards, in order to let his vassal troops fight Austria. The session ended shortly after that while a big battle is raging in Lombardia. Soon it will be clear which parties will join this righteous war, since Austria's actions must and will be met with punishment. An opinion (or fact) which is shared throughout Europe and the world, various quotes support this, for example:
Anonymous: „The alliance of light led by paladin Brundd against the dark lord”
while the Austrian ruler only comes up with foolish stuff like:
- „A dick like you”
- „You are being douchebag all the time”
- „If you keep being dick”
- „Don't be a dick”
- „Don't be an idiot”
- „You are an idiot”
- „Brundd you so gonna get rekt”
- „It says that i am god of EU”
- „It is your fault Brundd”
- „You are just being dick”
- „Stop being retarded”
- „Brundd is evil”
- „Don't think i didn't saw it you scum!”
- „This is why i say you are dickhead”
- „Brundd is allways dickhead like that”

WkvDbAN.jpg

The glorious 6 shock general of Castile will save us in this battle

It was a turbulent session for Milan, 3 vassals were gained in 16 years time but now its existence is in danger because of Austrian betrayal. During the next session the focus will be on survival by reducing Austria in strength as much as possible, because it is clear they cannot be trusted with any form of might and power.

In the meantime the house of Visconti is quietly expanding in Europe...

3OsX1Wj.jpg

(comments and tips are always welcome, except from Austria)

Last edited:
Meanwhile Castile lost the war and France (without being in the war!!!) got his provinces back

Next level diplomacy by me :ninja:

In the meantime the house of Visconti is quietly expanding in Europe...

my king, still a teenager at that time, died in a grim battle against the Hordes of Evil while our skies were still darkened by the Great Purple-White Shadow :(

(comments and tips are always welcome, except from Austria)

glorious Pdox mods have long ago made sure it is not going to happen.

The Polish AAR for 2nd session (1419-1435)

The plan for this session was to consolidate rest of the land that had been left untaken during 1st session. I made a deal with Austria, promising to release Wurttenberg and Salzburg from vassalization after the Hungarian lands were secured under Polish rule. Plans were also made to secure a few provinces for horde cavalry and help our friends the Russians while we were at it.

At session start a few Polish stacks started the march into Lithuania to be ready for the inevitable attack by the horde. I also passed two religious decisions, Church Taxes and Dissolution of the Monasteries. After that begun the wait for the inevitable horde DoW and Transylvanian and Hungarian thrones to be available for claiming.

Unfortunately Polish diplomats had forgotten to communicate with their Russian counterparts more in depth. It turned out our friends in the north declared war on the horde early in the session, pushing up the horde war exhaustion preventing them from declaring war on us. At times the WE was as low as 0.09, which was close, but not enough to make them DoW. There was no way we could fight the horde, even when we wanted to!

During the long wait Poland sent loads of gifts to the still independent Meissen and succesfully diplo-vassalized it. The Transylvanian throne became claimable a few years into the session and it was claimed and declared for swiftly. Thuringia, which was allied with Transylvania was also vassalized.

K3NlVSQ.png

Here's the only screenshot I took during the session, which shows Transylvania secure in PU. Can't seem to remember to take enough of these things.

Like the first one, this session had been full of warfare. The Holy Roman Emperor was set on destroying the nation of Castille for his personal amusement and had recruited both French monarchs for this cause. Only the brave English were fighting alongside the Castillians, and barely keeping them alive. The Polish monarch was pained to see the struggle in Iberia, but did not want to intervene, because of the good diplomatic relations achieved between sessions with Austria. Near the end of the session the throne of Hungary became claimable and Hungary was secured in a personal union as well.

In late 1434 I realized Crimea had revolted away from Goldeen Horde and even better, had been vassalized by the horde. There I had it, a way to fight the horde! Poland declared war taking the -2 stab and started moving troops in the Tartar lands when terrible news from Europe reached over. The Austrian king had broken a non-aggression pact with Milan and engaged it's troops in northern Italy. This was outrageous. There was no time for thinking anymore. NAP-breaking should not be tolerated by any means so Poland promptly declared war on Austria right before the session ended.

Comments and questions will be appreciated and responded to.

GOD I HATE FAKE WARS- Venice session 2

This update will be short due to one me forgetting to take any screenshots all screenshots are reconstructions from the saves I made and two because I didn’t really do that much this session other than take some of the Mamluks due to declaring war on behalf of the Ottoman Empire several times due to him having a regency.
The session began with the alliance of Venice, Ottomans and Morocco peacing for Mamluks for 5 provinces as I explain last session.
The state of the Mamluks in 1419.
qTMhGPT.png

During this period I generally sat around and didn’t do much other than fine tune some trade membership, pay England his fees for joining my trade league and sell Athens to the Ottoman empire. Sadly this meant fake warring him, which meant all his vassals leaving my trade league. :mad:
When the truce ran out in 1424 the Ottoman empire was keen to continuing pressing the Mamluks and since he had been unable to find any allies due to the current bizarre situation in continental politics we once again declared war, this time I personally declared due to the Ottomans’ regency.
The demands were:
Daye Az Zor, Hawran and Beirut to the Ottomans
Delta and Alexandria to Venice
Delta was subsequently sold to Morocco since he had acquired a core by a mission on the province.

u8UmSxI.png

Mamluks after the 2nd war of the triple alliance
This result was rather good for me, Alexandria has a decent trade value and meant I got a reasonable boost to my income.
Following this I engaged to 2 fake wars with Milan and Austria so that Milan obtained a core via mission on Treviso and Austria obtained the Aqueilian gold provinces as per our deal. This however meant all of Austria’s and Milan’s vassals left my trade league. Thanks guys :mad:
In 1426, I reached the crucial tech of trade level 7 this meant that I could now swap National Trade policy for QFTNW allowing me to begin my planned conquest of India.
A Carrack which I had built in 1425 was then employed to round the coast of Africa and discover a naval route out of the Red sea. Morocco had given me military access and this meant I could use Sinai as a land bridge to the east. India and the coast of the China were promptly discovered, 2 more explorers hired and QFTNW was then promptly swapped for Divine Supremacy which whilst giving a handy 0.5 missionarioes gives Holy CB on all heathens.
I then declared war on Gujurat and Deccan with the Holy War, the plan being to conquer all land in the west Aryan culture group and annex release the rest to burn infamy and so as to not slow my Tech too much.

UB4BYxe.png

Map of the East as it stands currently, the Ottomans declared war on the Mamluks once more and I saw this as an opportunity to grab the Highly strategic port of Dadra, this port is super important for any mercantilist power like Venice since it one of the requirements of the East Indian Trade Route Modifier which gives +20% global trade value, not something to be sniffed at.
Mamluks also decided that since he couldn’t rebel stomp half his territory that he would mass release his land, he does however still have an army of 40k stationed in Burma remarkable considering he has the lowest player income at the moment.

nVter1y.png

Plans for next session involve stomping Vijaynagar and Rajputana and generally trying to expand as fast as possible with my limited manpower and whilst brushing up against the infamy limit. What comes to pass with Mamluks remains yet to be seen, most of the land worth taking from my point of view lies in Terra Incognita and would net me 4 infamy a province, however Morocco will likely want to continue pressing for the rest of Africa so I may take advantage of this some way but it remains to be seen, in long term though the Mamluks really need to be eradicated for Venice to reach her true potential.

Milan AAR Session 3: 1435-1450

The Demise of the Dark Lord

1450 stats: http://www.europa3.ru/cgi-bin/mpsta...=XV&league=int&season=comp-2014&yearsave=1450

The previous session ended in the middle of a big war, just after Austria's NAP breaking. This of course initiated a lot of discussion afterwards in which the Austrian ruler continued to act bipolar; at first I broke the NAP, then there was no NAP, then he admitted guilt, then he forgot about the NAP, and at the end it was back to me breaking the NAP again. Even though he was presented with overwhelming evidence each and every time. One player phrased it beautifully: „Playing with him is like playing chess with a pigeon, it kicks the pieces around, shits on the board and then flies around telling everyone that he has won.”

At the end of the session the war consisted of the parties Austria/Burgundy and Castile/England/Milan/Novgorod/Poland. During the week in between sessions extensive diplo was done by both sides. The Austrian ruler managed to charm England out of the war by use of his distinct voice (I have to admit I was impressed too). But this would soon turn out to be irrelevant as a deal with Burgundy was reached, Burgundy would peace out the whole alliance in exchange for *censored*. However shortly before session start spies reached us telling Burgundy would not peace out after all (deal breaker!). Swift diplo was done to get Denmark into the war and as a result the war turned into Austria/Burgundy versus Castile/Denmark/Milan/Novgorod/Poland.

- Austria had around 40k troops and almost endless forcelimits/manpower at this stage of the game because of emperorship, but Austria also had a war exhaustion of 18, meaning raising troops took more than 200 days per regiment.
- Burgundy had roughly 50 regiments but the stacks were depleted and consisted out of only 27k active men.

- Castile had 38k troops out of which 24k were very strong charge cavalry, however he was out of manpower.
- Denmark had 18k troops but no military drill.
- I had three 12k stacks, two consisting out of 4 cavalry regiments combined with 8 infantry regiments, and one complete infantry stack. During the war another full infantry stack was build.
- Novgorod had 41 regiments but his stacks were slightly depleted because he was at war with the Golden Horde.
- Poland had 40k troops but was also fighting the Golden Horde.

This means the war should be winnable but that it was not going to be easy because defending is much easier than attacking. Furthermore I was still at war with all of Poland's vassals meaning I had small AI stacks running around sieging my provinces. One other problem for me was my Croatian land where one of my stacks was standing. Moving that stack to Northern Italy would be dangerous because I had to walk through Austrian lands, plus the AI would occupy my Croatian provinces, but it also meant I could not directly involve the stack in fighting Austria or Burgundy. During the war I slowly managed to peace out Poland's vassals one by one, making them an annoyance for Austria instead of me.

The big battle that started last session in Lombardia was still raging on. However, a miscommunication between Austria and Burgundy turned out in our favour. Most of the troops in the battle were provided by Burgundy but he decided to retreat all of his troops day 1, leaving a weak Austrian 9k stack in the battle. That stack was easily defeated and wiped afterwards by Milanese troops in Schwyz.
Austria started to move some troops eastwards to fight the incoming Polish troops, and with England peacing out this made the Italian front quite balanced, resulting in a stalemate. Neither side wanted to attack because of unfavourable terrain. I tried to help my allies fighting in northern Austria with my Croatian stack using Sopron (IPA: ˈʃopron) as a safe haven (Austrian troops could not go there because Ottomans did not grant him access) but unfortunately I could not be of much help.

Meanwhile Austria had send a 12k stack to Croatia. I did not want to engage this stack because fighting with equal numbers is risky, especially without a good general. Castile was called for help and he landed in Croatia with some troops and a good general. Combined with my troops the Austrians were easily beaten and chased to Krain where the 12k stack was wiped. But then suddenly there were 30-40k of Austrian/Burgundian troops marching towards Krain, this of course spelled danger for us so every time we retreated from the battle as soon as possible, first in Krain, then in Croatia, in Dalmatia Castile managed to retreat his troops on ships and into safety. My stack went to Ragusa where I retreated onto my transports just a few days before it would wipe.
At this point in the war, war taxes were raised because I would end up at maximum war exhaustion anyway since Burgundy occupied all my Croatian provinces. Meanwhile the Italian front was still quiet and not much happened besides occasional skirmishes and one wipe because Burgundy was not paying attention. Once the Burgundian troops had left my Croatian land a stack was send over to regain control of those provinces.

ynoz8BS.jpg
Situation after 5 years of fighting

Around this time Austria and Burgundy started to make a big push through Bohemia into Poland. If successful this would result in a very big wipe, annihilating almost all of the Danish/Novgorodian/Polish troops. England's truce in the meantime ended and he rejoined the war, landing troops in Poland just in time. For some reason France did not like this and warred England, resulting in a weird situation where France was occasionally fighting English troops in Central Europe. I saw the danger of this big offensive and send my Croatian stack over to help. Austria and Burgundy advanced all the way to Mazovia but there they were defeated by a combined effort of Danish/English/Milanese/Novgorodian/Polish troops and had to start retreating to Austria. One Austrian stack somehow ended up in Warmia where it was wiped by one of my allies.
Because Austria and Burgundy committed so many troops to this offensive their defences in the Alps were spreading thin. Together with Castile a 32k offensive on Tirol was launched. Because of the numerical advantage we were able to overcome the terrain penalties, and as bonus even wipe an Austrian stack because of mismanagement on their part. This made it possible to advance even further, into Tirol. Now Austria and Burgundy were cut off from one another, a big tactical disadvantage. I decided to commit all my troops to the Austrian front while Castile went on to fight Burgundy.
When my troops arrived Austria was busy fighting regenerated Danish/English/Novgorodian/Polish in the area around his capital. The injection of new and fresh Milanese troops proved to be too much for the already weakened Austrian army, after endless ping-ponging between various Austrian provinces I finally managed to wipe their whole remaining army (25-30k) in Görz. On the western front Castile had outmanoeuvred Burgundy in the Alps, leaving no other option than to surrender. After 12 years (17 years for Austria/Burgundy/Castile) of fighting there was finally peace.

The peace deal included:
Demands on Austria:
- Görz to Milan
- Krain to England
- Lienz to Castile
- Tirol to Castile
- Cancel vassalisation of Mecklenburg
- Cancel vassalisation of Saxony

Demands on Burgundy:
- Gelre to Denmark
- Picardie to England

A very harsh peace on Austria, but that is what you get for breaking a NAP, breaking truce, being overly aggressive etc.

OWt2qSb.jpg

Bye bye Austrian gold provinces

In an earlier deal Poland had promised Austria to cancel vassalation of Salzburg and Württemberg. Poland fulfilled this deal shortly after Austria surrendered. However, I was still at war with some of Poland's vassals, meaning I could vassalise Salzburg immediately. A few years later Württemberg was PU'ed.

Shortly after the peace Burgundy backstabbed Austria by attacking him, an action I wholeheartedly support and greatly improves my image of Burgundy after breaking the deal. The peace demand however was very questionable to say the least, the province of Konstanz was transferred to Burgundy, a province with a whopping income of 0,73 a year.

All this warring had crippled my economy, income was very low, war exhaustion was at 18, and inflation had risen to 6,3%. The gold in Görz provided some nice extra income, but as can be seen in the screenshot my income is very bad compared to the other players.
3i2ZUrM.jpg

Ottomans are scary

In 1449 Siena cored, and in a few years Roma and Romagna will core too, giving some minor extra income. But more importantly, Liguria will core in 10 years time, this combined with some free trade slider moves means I can start trading, which will result in WEALTH! TECH! POWER! Besides the slider move to free trade I got a move to aristocracy thanks to an event this session.
Despite my low income my tech was not bad at all for some reason, only Hansa has one tech more than me. When government tech 9 was reached it was time for my second national idea. Quest of the New World was taken in order to explore and to make it possible to expand overseas, since in the future I will need (way) more provinces for more building space.

Italy formation is still far away, because of the war I could not commit much time to completing missions and of course luck was not on my side. At least the session ended with a very useful mission...

Disclaimer: I might not recall everything from the war correctly, especially the doings of my allies. For an alternative and perhaps better recollection take a look at their AAR's. (too bad they do not exist)

The Great Horde Wars

1419-1423: Daniil I

1419-1423: The start of the First Great Horde War and the Massacre of Vladimir

Looking to engage the horde, a request was sent to Henryk to append their previous agreement. “Posadnik! The horde has been sighted fighting rebels at Tula” Vsevolod, Daniil’s top military advisor, said as he barged into the room. “Perfect timing” replied Danill, having just finished his meeting with Henryk.

dmoUq7FGe8rkp8l2hyVTPBJBoHyqHL_7JGu4T5OvySyBprSZjWifaLyE_FeMjM6E4kr5o0dPMoPzEkK4UJ9v-MmwjwRBIqcEuUeVF455gyaeuQoGGsCo-y99S8qMLOMnw8u7_mg

Having now secured the nation from attack, the Posadnik then ordered for the troops to be readied and war was declared on the horde. Unknowingly, Daniil has just walked into the horde’s trap, they had been ready and waiting with 70,000 people. While the armies were busy holding back the horde, spies had been sent by the horde to incite revolts all over the country. Daniil’s plans for the war were quickly shattered as 25,000 men marched on Solikamsk, causing him to have to retreat his armies to Viataka instead and hold out there. “You shouldn’t do that” Vsevolod shouted as Daniil headed towards the main army at Vladimir. After struggling to catch up with the Posadnik, “I won’t make the same mistake we made in the past” Daniil replied as he headed up to personally lead his armies to victory. Daniil then led his army to Nizhny Novgorod, where he would win many battles against the evil that was the horde. In the south, Dorofey, one of Posadnik’s most trusted general, would take the province of Tula. In May the horde finally managed to break through the defense at Nizhny Novgorod and proceeded to march towards the stronghold at Vladimir.

Qx1W-mV68LYMC937Q2F7EmaAO9XIN9j8ZgPrER9PXowgelZwD8lFVhLdTLTZd2fzxS-vYKeUPUeG9qskRTGnLOzBH1_8MvtUrDB5ggNqWElkyXYZSsjmmxujsVB1hwjabafJUT0

Daniil sent orders to defend the stronghold at all costs, him and the army led by Dorofey converged against the horde in what would later be called the Massacre of Vladimir, where over 21,000 men died. With limited gains in the north and south over the past 4 years, the public slowly started to turn against the Posadnik.

1423-1427: Rurik I

1423-1427: Dire straits

With Daniil’s opinion at an all-time low, Rurik an upcoming diplomat would use this to his advantage by promising a conclusive end to this war. In late 1423, when elections rolled around, the vote was quite clear with a 80% vote for Rurik. Rurik, eager to escape the issues plagued by his predecessor, would fire Vsevolod, a grave mistake considering his lack of military skill compared to Daniil. Shortly after the election, the republic started to lose ground against the horde. Along with the help of a few of the horde’s spies the southern part of the country started to revolt, leading to huge losses in the north and south. Pushed back by the horde, the province of Solikamsk was taken by the horde. The exhausted armies were forced back further, leading the the Golden Horde occupying the provinces of Tula and Viataka.

YMZa9_9Bi6qprmQ1ubV8NSNMIg5N2CTLMo8vXO76fsM1B6K-lzfMJ_5te9a8TqhIFy9VlZi72jxncnWgoMZ-fgPjOys8XkKT-PXuV64yLnqShPMDZWiC4Wcc4RUAqgvdPHDRI0Q

At this point the stability of the nation was now at the worst possible level, resulting to an increase in the revolts and a revolt in the capital. Rurik, now panicking attempted to make peace with the horde, in hopes of staving off public hatred. Since the messenger was never heard from again, it was quite clear at that point that the horde wanted nothing less than the complete destruction of the republic.

1427-1431: Konstantin

1427-1428: The counterattack and end of the First Great Horde War

When it came time for the election, Rurik was practically kicked out of office. Replaced by a seasoned diplomat with the promise to rebuild the nation to it’s former glory. Konstantin swiftly ordered a counterattack on the horde, which would have great success in pushing the horde back into it’s own territory and even managing to occupy Solikamsk back. All of this was too late, as the rebellion that held the capital forced Konstantin and the horde to a white peace as well as the release of Finland. The war with the Golden Horde had resulted in more than 250,000 men losing their lives, all for no net gain.

1428-1431: Recovery and Acquisition

Konstantin knew he would have to act quickly to stabilize the country. Orders were also made for the reintegration of Finland and war was declared. A few months later demands were sent and the war was ended with very little bloodshed. The posadnik also took advantage of this time of peace to take the province of Smolensk in accord with the Polish agreement. He also would pass the recruiting act to help in any future wars. Though repairing the country politically and militarily would take a long time and Konstantin knew he would need to pass the torch to someone who would be more qualified to lead the country to it’s former greatness.

1431-1435: Iosif I

1431-1434: Preparation

When elections were held, the public voted Iosif I, a general from the First Great Horde War and brother of the legendary general Dorofey, into office. Iosif’s main goal when taking office was to expand the republic and take the province of Murom. To further those goals, a diplomat was sent to Poland to ensure their participation in a war with the horde. After assurances were made with Poland to help in the war, troops were trained and the war preparations were made.

aazgzySW7yxST-Bf3-GL_mJkZ-H2p_g-i3ZyJZrOalprsaSo_0AXDrx2bRySYpjM0fha8jt6Vp_ulr3kkn42nAwQ9a1GXIGSjBbOtd0Xa3kSAwVLpWboBdynJSUkkv6rp8hRHlU

1434-1435: War resumes

In March, war was declared on the horde again for the province of Murom. Upon watching the wars raging in Europe, the Polish king deemed it necessary for his involvement against Austria. Iosif, in the spirit of the agreement made with Poland, would join the war as well.