• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good work.

Will be around

Third time's a charm, right?
With such a great year last year, I felt things could only improve. While I patiently waited for the forestry to be completed in Moray, and impatiently watched over my wife waiting for the next in my dynasty to be born.
1070June18-WifeAndChildDiedinLabour.jpg

Alas, it was not to be, for Agnes followed in the footsteps of Swannoc, dying and losing our child too.

Fortunately, Findlay was to young to be told that her mother had passed on. It wasn't until late August that I decided that I should find a third wife to help propagate my dynasty further.
1070Aug9-MarraigeProposal.jpg

I found a suitable bride in the court of the Duke of Champagne. Requesting an audience with the Duke, I asked to marry his Chancellor, Adelaide de Valois at his earliest convenience. Within two weeks he came over to my way of thinking and approved the union.
It was my royal right, and again my subjects paid Royal Marriage Aid Duty. With the monies obtained, I financed the construction to begin on training grounds in Moray, in the hope of making a larger army to support my future struggles if need be. To that end, my wife became the new Chancellor, for she was quite sweet with her tongue.

1071-Courtof1071.jpg

My Court at the beginning of 1071.

Last edited:
Going through wives faster than he goes through horses ... probably.

Bit cruel to send a French lass to the wilds of Scotland.

Its really bad with the wives there, how many wives has one character had in any of your games?
I really only notice these issues when writing AARs...but even some courtiers are having more than 1 wife.

Building a firm foundation
Say those years just keep on creeping along, and I have begun a crazy quest to have Forestries in all by fiefs, purely for the income they bring to my coffers. But I still must secure my birthright. For this, friendly relations with the vassals of Malcolm III would probably be in order.
1071Sep11-SendNephewMalcolm.jpg

To that end, on September 11, 1071 I asked that my nephew Malcolm be trained in the court of the Duchy of Albany. He gratefully accepted my fosterling.
By the middle of 1072, young Findlay was proving quite a handful. I was so glad that we could have the nannies in court look after him. While he was in care, I could continue building. My other fiefs of Sunderland and Ross were afterward to follow suit with Moray...Training grounds next...
Fortunately, I did have time on the side for other things, with my new wife with child by April of 1073.

1074Feb13-MaryBorn.jpg

And on February 13, my first daughter, Mary was born.
The building of my foundations was progressing well, as our second Training Ground, based in Sutherland was completed in May. Construction of the next one in Ross would have to wait a little longer...
While I waited for more precious money to arrive in our coffers, my mind turned to Rome...we had no bishopric, however I did want to have Rome on side.

1075Jan8-FindlayOffToRome.jpg

And at the beginning of 1075, sent my first born off to the court of Rome to learn a thing or too...

As for that training ground, it would have to wait until March before construction would begin.

make sure to send those filthy normans and exiled saxons back over the border when you're done! :D

nice aar. I did a similar game as that dynasty, but one where my main objective was to turn the Isles Gaelic. Didn't even have to war england - inherited it when William's great-grandson died sonless :p

Heh - highpowered fostering.

The Pope is dead...long live the Pope
Something wicked this way comes....My son was only in Rome for 4 months and the Pope is already dead.
1075May30-PopeBogumil.jpg

Pope Bogumil was appointed on May 30. Hopefully a new pope will not effect Findlay's upbringing too much. At least I didn't have to bother looking after him.

1075Sep18-MaryTrainedbyNobles.jpg

Neither did I want to look after Mary, who I sent away to be trained by a local noble.

The rest of the year seemed to go by so fast, and it was not long before the new year of 1076 was upon us.
Malcolm of Scotland had been my rival since birth, and I knew we would be rivals to the death.
1076Jan21-RivalsToTheDeathMalcolm.jpg

By January 21, some people thought it was affecting my feudal duties, but nonetheless I would not give up my grudge. Rome did not seem to care one way or the other, as far as I could tell.

However, towards the end of February, a bishop who claimed to be a very good chess master challenged me to a match. I needed Rome still on my side, so I accepted the challenge.
1076Feb22-CheatAtChess.jpg

I won the only way I knew how, by cheating of course ;)
With a win like that, a celebration was in order...and by April 7, my dutiful wife was again with child.

Chess in Scotland, that early? :p
Btw, kids tend to return somehow back to home while still being fosterlings, at least in my games, when the current ruler/host dies.

Winning by cheating - why change the habits of a lifetime :)

Mark in in your calendar
May 18, 1076:
Oh how I remember that day well. I awoke with a start, for in the evensong the night before I had a vision of the future. An independent Moray, more powerful than Scotland, ready to take on the world. The seed had been planted, now was time for action. For years, my loyalty to my so-called liege had been waning, and by now I had enough of pandering to that little upstart. This was the day Moray would be free of the shackles placed on it. I hastily dispatched a messenger to the court in Lothian, to deliver the good news - whether he made it back or not was no concern of mine...
1076May18-PeacefulIndependence.jpg

I peacefully declared Moray independent of Scotland - for my armies were not yet ready for a bloody fight for survival. Scotland did not challenge our independence. I would bide my time for now...soon enough I will rule Scotland.

Near the end of the year, fortune half-smiled upon my line.
1076Dec17-EdeBorn.jpg

My second daughter, Ede was born on December 17.

By the beginning of the new year, young Findlay, first in line of my dynasty, had returned from Rome. But I had more important things of concern now. With independence, came the need for a better marshal for my army. I replaced Aedh with a courtier who had arrived from my wife's homeland.
1077-Courtof1077.jpg

Phillipe de Blois would prove a welcome addition to my army.

It would be almost a year before I had had enough of Findlay in my court - time to send him off again.
1077Dec5-FindlayOffToGalloway.jpg

Sending him to Galloway might help some vassals change sides, you never know....as for me, I was invited to a tourney up north in Caithness.

1077Dec6-CaithnessInsultsDemandComp.jpg

However, all was not as it seemed, with the Count of Caithness laying insult to my good name. I would have none of it, and demanded immediate compensation! I now had a valid claim on Caithness.

Caithness is God's own county. Trust me - I was born there :)