• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Gunfire rattled along the beach, artillery pieces flung burning death into the sky, trying to hit Japanese battleships far out to sea. Planes screamed overhead - smaller bombers, now, dive-bombers, stationed from the mammoth Japanese carrier fleet that sat off the coast of Sydney.

Japanese transports moved in to Sydney Harbour, motor-launches preparing to embark into the city. But Sydney had not been unprepared, through all those years of disastrous war. Concrete redoubts, bunkers, well-protected artillery, divisions of men prepared to defend their position to their very last breath, rather than give it up to the Japs.

But the numbers - the numbers were startling. Fifty thousand men, at best, defended Sydney. Perhaps five or six times that came to her assault. Japanese men came off onto the beaches, machineguns drumming out a merry tune of death, spitting fire into the face of the Japanese assault. They were not marines, that much was obvious. It seemed an almost idiotic attack - to end the war now, rather than wait out for the inevitable end. But the Japanese piled up, and began to push into the first line of forts, despite the almost catastrophic losses.

Troops did not retreat - but the Japanese went around them, and into their forts, numbers counting for much. It was strategy that seemed to be directed by nothing other than sheer drive to win. And for a moment it seemed it was working. Japanese forces swarmed forward, over forts, over Australians, over everything, firing and attacking with wild abandon, seemingly gaining the upper hand.

In the middle of all this chaos, this surprise that had caught Sydney almost unaware - for who had expected an attack of such magnitude? The Japanese piled more and more men on the beaches, and the defenders were forced back - their morale wearied by endless years of defeat.

In the middle of this, a fort sat. A small one, but one spewing out machinegun and rifle fire with impunity, slaughtering hapless Japanese as they attempted to bypass it. In the distance, a ship sat. A shot was fired, landing near the Australian fort.

And a loudspeaker blared out, from a smaller, nearer ship - audible over the ruckus of battle, spoken in immaculate English, despite the obvious Japanese accent.

Australian troops. Abandon your position and surrender, or we will blow you out. You have a chance for honourable surrender. Abandon your position, or we will fire on you, and blow you out of your fort.

The noise of battle quietened for a moment, and everything hinged on the will of the defenders - a will which had once seemed indomitable, in North Africa, and in India, but was much less vibrant now it was fighting in its homeland. The hush of battle continued, and then a voice, quieter, without a loudspeaker, but no less audible, rang out.

"Bloody well blow us out then, you bastard!"

With a great roar that echoed along the beach, Australian defenders, once bewildered and confused, took up their rifles with new vigour, the Japanese not understanding the words of the exchange that had just occurred, but understanding the meaning, broke all of a sudden, charging still, but without the fanaticism that had marked them a moment earlier, and, without further ado, were driven back into the sea, their casualties changing from the thousands into the tens of thousands - an ill-planned and foolhardly assault failing as it should've done from the beginning.

And the guns from the Hirohito rang out in the distance, the guns from the largest battleship ever built, dwarfing even the Yamato, landing precisely on the concrete fort, demolishing it to the ground, and, without a doubt, killing every man inside.

A tear ran down Menzies's cheek, and another, as he sniffed, trying to control his emotion. He had come outside to watch - with the logic that the Japanese might bombard his headquarters if they found out about him - and that being closer to the frontlines would be better for morale, if it were needed, and had seen more, perhaps, than he had wanted to. And more than he had expected. "Those brilliant.. bloody brilliant.."

Lost for words, he turned, and walked back inside. Patton slapped him on the back, unable to come up with a better display of affection than that. In the distance, Australian torpedo bombers buzzed towards the enemy fleet. It had been, perhaps, fifteen or twenty minutes. The dead numbered in the tens of thousands. For the Australians, perhaps, the hundreds.

Above them, the air raid dispersed. It had been a concerted effort by the Japanese. An effort to break what little remained of the Allies, to destroy the last stronghold of resistance against Fascism, against the Japanese Empire... an effort supported by an army greater than the entire Australian one, an airforce with thousands upon thousands of planes - and a navy that could've sunk what remained of the Allied naval totality. And yet they had prevailed.

Menzies turned, and looked up once more, at the shattered metal ends, the remainder of the once-proud Sydney Harbour Bridge.

"We'll get it rebuilt.", he promised. "We'll find out your names, we'll get it rebuilt - and we'll name it after you."

This time it was Greene who came out after him. "Sir, we-"

"I know, Greene. I'm coming inside. This just shows that we need to hurry."

Last edited:
Your intelligence was incorrect. The idea that the Australian army had shifted the majority of its assets north to counter an assault on Brisbane was idiotic. Furthermore, your bombers were UTTERLY INCAPABLE of providing my troops with aerial support, whilst my soldiers were thrown against the most well-fortified coast I have seen in all my days as Admiral. Although it is an honour to die for Japan, I would prefer it if we were not thrown up against such defenses again. Casualties are high, morale is low. Heavy damage to several ships was sustained - if we are to end this war on a high note, I highly suggest that you do not issue such orders again without a thorough understanding of the theatre of war in which we are engaged.

- Intercepted communication between two Japanese Admirals.

goodness, what a battle! and so we see that at least some of the Japanese are not happy with the way the war's being conducted...maybe internal divisions will weaken them?

Sweet! That was awesome!

Teans of thousands of casualtied vs. Hundreds- :eek:

I remember reading an AAR that was a reverse WC like this, but a few months ago and with the US. The style is really similiar, and it's honestly my favorite AAR for HOI. But after reading this, I might have to rethink things :)

Keep it up!

Amazing Scene!

I still don't know how you plan to go on the offensive.

That scene brought tears to my eyes <sniff>.

[In character] Kick their yellow asses! [/In character]
Note: This does not in any way reflect upon my views, personal or otherwise.

Here, I made a map of how the world looks like from my point of view.

britishempire1921aaaoj4.png

I did it in, like, 5 minutes.

I want more battles like this if they will be told of as good as this one. Awesome, just awesome.

Myth, internal division might just give me a window of oppurtunity, although even if half the Japanese Navy and Army got angry, packed up, and went home, the situation would still be fairly grim.

Ivegottheskill, Australia never gets the chance to do anything interesting in DD. If you fight Germany, you don't have the power to accomplish anything in Europe - and if you fight Japan, they'll DoW the United States, which then means you're limited to playing Santa's Little Helper for the rest of the Pacific campaign. It was one of the Allied countries which never saw anything happen on its homeland (bar a limited bombing campaign in Darwin), and so there was never a furious struggle for survival, such as Russia/Britain versus Germany.

Spacehusky.. well, thanks! Little more there is I can say. Or, to put it less Yoda-esque, that's cool.

likk9922, Japanese Intelligence manages to let down the navy. Or, should I say, the information leading to the idea that Australia could be defeated with one swift decisive stroke was the product of the Japanese spies. Of course, it was much better to attack the Australian army where it was, rather than landing nearby, and chasing them out of Sydney. Personally, I just think they thought the concrete redoubts and artillery were all-you-can-eat buffet stands.

Minarchist - That's where I got the primary inspiration from this from! (The other inspiration came from Lamps Before the Wind, Myth's Japanese revival AAR)

GeneralHannibal - Right now, the offensive isn't a consideration. I'm just hoping to inflict enough damage to the Japanese already in Australia that I can have some chance of going on the offensive!

ColossusCrusher, there's a lot of arses to kick. And not that many legs to do the kicking with.

Guangxi, it's propaganda, you big silly. The Japanese know of their reputation of loathing those who surrender, and thus had to try and migitate it somewhat to convince the enemy to surrender.

SEG-CISR, cake is good. Especially when it's made from the fallen souls of your enemies! And also chocolate. I love me some chocolate. Oh, and the map's fairly accurate. But there are quite a few Axis puppet governments and one or two minor allies dotted here and there. But New Zealand's still free (to some extent, that's where most of the Australian navy's gone - down the sink keeping the enemy landing on NZ), and Tasmania's free, although Darwin's not.

Jan Skrzetuski, there will be more battles. Many more. Except the Japanese war machine is big enough to win them.

The projector was carried out, and another brought in. It had stopped working after the bombardment - apparently the shaking had broken the last few tender filaments in its power cable.

"China was at war with the Guanxi Clique, Yunnan, Manchuko, and Japan. The Nationalists signed an emergency alliance with the Communists, and both the Shanxi and Sinkiang warlords agreed to sign this alliance. Soon afterwards, Chinese forces pushed into the south of the Guanxi Clique, annexing all major areas within the former Clique into their nation. Although China's position was increasingly grim, Sinkiang and Communist troops might put the backbone into the defence of China - a backbone it most assuredly needed. Yunnan's forces had been cut off in the southwest, and losses followed. However, their mountain strongholds were all but unassailable, and China could not gather the strength she needed to destroy them, with the Japanese knocking on the door in the north."

4qn5mz6.png

"In the meantime, Portugal was looking at the Spain-France pact with increasing nervousness. With only two divisions at home, and with easily ten times that in Spain alone, should the Spanish choose to incorporate Portugal into their new order, the Portuguese could do little about it. British goodwill was irrelevent - the star of Britain's army had been declining of late, and the British also had to defend Gilbratar - she could not keep her colonial possessions, Gilbratar, defend her shores, and commit forces to Portugal. Thus, Portugal bet on British animosity towards the French, and their more congenial attitude towards Germany - and that this attitude would prevent the French from acting if they allied with Germany."

Greene sighed. "The Pact of Lissabon was signed on March the 14th, which detailed specific duties between both parties. Portugal, most humiliatingly, had to put her entire army and navy at Germany's disposal, and under Germany command - but, in return, Germany was required to station five divisions in Portugal, and had to aide Portugal's industrial development, with a large cost to Germany industries. This cost German some industrial power, as this was set aside to construct Portuguese industry - but Portugal's industrial strength was almost doubled before the war began."

53eqnut.png

"This was to Germany's interest. Despite the Wehrmacht's superiority in training and in numbers over every army in the world - apart from the Soviet one, the Maginot Line was a formidable opponent. At the time, there seemed to be only three choices for invasion, should it come to that. The first was a re-run of the 1914 Schliffen Plan, invading through Belgium, and avoiding the fortifications entirely. The second was to simply wear down the Maginot Line with superior air power, and wage a war of attrition. The third was a naval invasion, betting on British non-interference."

"However, with Polish and Czechslovak hostility evident, and Belgium called to Paris to discuss a new defensive pact, the first option was untenable. For if France and Germany fought, the Polish and Czech armies would smash through Germany's borders easily, and destroy Germany entirely. A war of attrition, on the front-lines, was possible - wage war against the east before turning to the west. However, Spanish forces meant that Germany had to deal with a very great potential enemy army for her number of troops. If one added the Polish, Czech, French, Spanish, and Belgian armies together - it was between three and four times the size of the Wehrmacht. This is why Germany did not act. Any offensive move, even when France was weak, could've led to Germany's destruction."

"Thus, Portugal. Spain's indefensible border with Portugal meant that the Spanish would either have to sacrifice a third of Spain to form a decent line, or call up their troops on the Maginot Line to deal with the Germans. Although the first of these would've stopped Hitler in his tracks, the Spanish had no desire to sacrifice a third of their country for the good of the French. So over twenty divisions, half the Spanish army, was brought back to Spain, leaving the French in an even worse position before they had won the war. The Third Republic was a deeply divided system, and every action the leaders of the time took, every blow they struck, was a blow that threatened to force the Third Republic into chaos and civil war."

He smiled. "The Chinese at this time were doing well against Yunnan. Two major Yunnese positions had been cut off - despite the reduced Chinese deployment to the south. This, it seemed, boded well for the war in future."

6cwtg6o.png

"And now, of course, a German blunder. Twelve divisions were deployed to Aacht, under Field Marshal Von Blomberg. This was perilously close to the Belgian border. German divisions were conducting training there, in fact, but the fact that a body almost as large as the entire Belgian army sat on their borders frightened the Belgians, chasing them in to the arms of France. Although no formal alliance was signed, the French gave permission for Belgian troops to move into France should the need be required."

61krvgo.png

Another man entered the room. Blood was spattered on his clothes, and his shirt was torn. "A bit of good news, sir."

A soldier, Menzies thought wryly. Another man who was going off to die because they thought they had some good plans. Ideas good enough to defeat the Japanese. If they were wrong.. that man would die. It was a chilling thought.

"What is it?"

"Well, sir.. we've counted up our casualties."

"And?"

"We suffered two hundred and fifty-eight dead, sir, but there are still over three hundred we haven't found yet. There's a lot of bodies out there."

"How many?"

"Well.. over fifteen thousand, we've counted. And we're still counting."

Menzies allowed himself a smile. There were only a few newspapers that continued running - people didn't buy newspapers anymore, not now that the Japanese were knocking on their front door. They just waited for the Japanese to deliver the news of defeat to them. But this - this would stiffen the backbone of many. And it'd make the Japanese wary before acting again.

"Good man. I'm sorry I can't congratulate you further, soldier. Joseph, was it?"

The soldier straightened, and smiled, licking a trickle of blood off his lips. "Yessir. One of your new guards. Got a bit of shellshock up there on the beach, after a few of the lads got hit. Kept manning my gun, though. Major said he'd assign me here, as a reward. I couldn't go back to the beaches - just.. just couldn't, if you understand. But I can serve here."

That too, boded well. If soldiers thought being posted here was a reward - maybe the people still had trust in them yet. "Well, then. Man your post, soldier. Make sure no-one gets through here who isn't supposed to."

"Yes, sir!"

The soldier saluted, and went outside.

"The Chinese war continued apace. The Japanese continued their advance, however, although the two Yunnan pockets were cut off, giving China free reign in the south, while they scrambled to prepare for their defense in the north."

4p4583b.png

Patton yawned. "Excuse me, Menzies, but do we have any information on Darwin?"

"What we know.. there's twenty divisions over there, half the Japanese fleet, and enough airpower that their bombers there outnumber our fighters so significantly that we have no real advantage in dogfighting."

"And the Japanese are fairly headstrong, right?"

"You've fought them on the US mainland, Patton. They're utterly headstrong. They'll attack if they think they can win, at least. From what we've seen, their army is fairly disconnected and decentralized."

"I see. Out of curiosity, are they advancing?"

"Reports say not."

"Would they advance if we gave them something to chase?"

Lordling said:
Ivegottheskill, Australia never gets the chance to do anything interesting in DD. If you fight Germany, you don't have the power to accomplish anything in Europe - and if you fight Japan, they'll DoW the United States, which then means you're limited to playing Santa's Little Helper for the rest of the Pacific campaign. It was one of the Allied countries which never saw anything happen on its homeland (bar a limited bombing campaign in Darwin), and so there was never a furious struggle for survival, such as Russia/Britain versus Germany.

Not true IMO. As Australia in DD (Aggressive/Normal) I fought Italy in North Africa before island hopping, invading Japan, Korea and Manchuko. The main restriction is definately manpower. Industry+carriers+marines FTW.

I semi-hacked it in 1945 (after fall of Japan) so Australia got a small percentage of annexed territory manpower (annexed countries connected by land do this normally, hamstringing Australia). I then annexed USSR (with some UK and US help). Best HoI game I've ever played

Last edited:
Lordling said:
The soldier straightened, and smiled, licking a trickle of blood off his lips. "Yessir. One of your new guards. Got a bit of shellshock up there on the beach, after a few of the lads got hit. Kept manning my gun, though. Major said he'd assign me here, as a reward. I couldn't go back to the beaches - just.. just couldn't, if you understand. But I can serve here."

That too, boded well.

Now, not a very reassuring security for the last government of the last democracy, is it?

I’m glad that at least Patton is there with Menzies, should anything out of the ordinary (horrible bombing, massive Japanese assault etc) happen. :D

A feign! :eek:

Brilliant!
If only Ireland hadn't been annexed... :(

Wait... Portugal is in the alliance?

Gotta readjust the map!
britishempire1921aaagf3.png

:p
EDIT: Damn, I didn't change NZ or Darwin... No matter though...

Hey, didn't you notice that I have my 10th. Avatar as an Australian flag in a salute to you?