• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Keep up the victoglory!

Okay, we have a problem. The game really seems to have a problem with calculating the correct colonization distances across the date line. I'm not going to reach the US west coast from Fiji, the game thinks California is closer to Jerusalem than to New Zealand. This sort of messes up my main goal.

Any advice?

If no one comes up with a brilliant solution I think I'll just thrash Aquileia and Ming for laughs. Oh and just taking Portuguese California might work, too. Hmm.

Try deleting everything in the map\cache folder and the mod\XXX\map\cache folder. That will force the game to recalculate all paths next time you start. No guarantee this will work, but it helps in Magna Mundi, when colonization distances get screwed up.

I am a little pessimistic, though. It seems that although the map wraps, it seems to be flat in terms of colonization. I thought you could colonize Hawaii from Guam, though.

Part XIX - Getting back on track (1600-1606)

Well, here we are again! So far, I've written up to 1600, and I've played up to 1615, so I have some catching up to do. Trebizond has some catching up to do as well, technologically, while getting rid of some nasty War Exhaustion. Here's a small update to that end, I expect to write up another one tomorrow.

The world's mightiest empires as of 1600 AD:

487.jpg

Allied forces shown in green. Seems like a fine situation, huh?

488.jpg

France is actually pretty helpful, even in rather distant wars.

489.jpg

Some cores from the Mamluks are coming in. The yearly income boost is always welcome.

As I already planned to do in the last episode, war is declared on the Timurid breakaways in September 1600.

490.jpg

One of them was already guaranteed by Delhi, but their forces were pretty exhausted straight from the start.

491.jpg

The others had no real army to speak of :p

492.jpg

The Glorious Imperial Assaulters make steady progress, and two of our enemies are finished in about half a year

Khorasan was too big too vassalize so we grab a bunch of provinces.

493.jpg

But our reputation went up too much.. While I never crossed the limit (22/29), France thought we were a rather bad boy! Or maybe they're just insecure and feel they're not awesome enough to be friends with us.

494.jpg

Remember how I lauded all my earlier posts with historical factoids about Trebizond and environs? They are getting harder and harder to get by, for the empire's home region anyway, since the whole Pontus area sort of faded into obscurity in the real 16th, 17th century. Yeah, I know, totally incredible. How can the Seat of Awesome become a backwater? But it did. Anyway, the information junkies among you might like this. Timeline results on historical info search. I just discovered this Google tool and I sure love it. You can see how much was written on Trebizond in the 15th century, with both it's heyday and it's demise as an empire. Then a long period of nothing much, but in the 19th century and World War I, it became an important strategic location in various Turco-Russian operations.

Anyway, about that alliance! Bummer.. Having France as an ally is definitely a great deterrent. Russia's still with us, though.

By 1603 I start another war against an Indian minor

495.jpg

Oh yeah! The 33rd War of Trebizondian Aggression!

This war soon nets us..

496.jpg

A couple of nice provinces along the river Ganges, gold..

497.jpg

and yet another vassal.

Next, a promising war breaks out between two of my neighbours. I don't feel like joining the fight right now, and think I might just as well enjoy the match.

500.jpg

Meanwhile, some lucky sailors have been happily exploring tranquil Pacific islands (Kiribati and Tahiti), introducing victoglory to innocent hula girls left and right. Navy enlistments soon skyrocketed.
498.jpg

And we're colonizing in the other direction because the Pacific is so bloody far away from everything we know.

499.jpg

We're some 6 years ahead since the start of this episode and the world has become just a little more awesome. As I've said before, do not fear, Trebizond is here! ;)

Last edited:
It seems that although the map wraps, it seems to be flat in terms of colonization.

That's my impression, too, although it does seem to work correctly crossing the date line from the American side to the Asian side.

Why are you vassaling Indians when you can't annex them because of their religion?

Because I like vassals. This is not intended as a World Conquest game, I try to roleplay just a little and not to accumulate too much BB. Therefore vassalizing helps.

Also, inland India is not just wrong culture and wrong religion, but also tropical. Those provinces would be particularly worthless for quite some time, in my hands.

I'TS BACK! The victoglory is BACK!

One game, I crossed th BB limit as the Byzantines, and started to accumulate lots more. For some reason, Venice, my ally who had conquered Italy continued to join me when other countries DOWed me. Even more amazingly, when I started a war to shake off all of the warnings, Venice joined me in that one!

As a long term lurker on these forums, and an AAR junkie, it's great to see this back for some more Victoglory.

Great Google tool you've found there, will have to play around with it when I've got time.

Keep up the good work!