• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My inspiration comes from both Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang, but I'm curious about your inspiration. I don't think I've heard of this "golden-haired" brat.

EDIT: Having thought about it and looking at your character name. Were you perhaps thinking of Legend of Galactic Heroes? The Emperor?

Aye :) I thought it would be fun to try to recreate him here, as well as somewhat apropos since the author himself was apparently originally inspired by the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Seeing as how we are currently at 9 signups, you should make yourself a tenth character(if nobody else signs up) Zam. Rule being, you may not play as said character nor can you be the person who gives them a title and their own lands? This way you can not be seen as biased or anything??? Since you are making the story, I believe you should get your own character in it. No?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Seeing as how we are currently at 9 signups, you should make yourself a tenth character(if nobody else signs up) Zam. Rule being, you may not play as said character nor can you be the person who gives them a title and their own lands? This way you can not be seen as biased or anything??? Since you are making the story, I believe you should get your own character in it. No?
While I appreciate the suggestion, I won't add myself a character for treasons.
  1. There is still 2-3 days before I close character creation, so I feel no need to fill a spot. If Dragon Kin taught me anything, is that it's worth to way just in case. With Dragon Kin, I got the last 4 characters in the last two days. Heck, I got Valena within hours of closing it. So like I did with Dragon Kin I'll post a message either Saturday of Sunday morning to warn anyone interested there is still a small amount of time left before closing. You never know who might come in.
  2. Technically, I have the entire cast of the Three Kingdoms as character. After all, while some of the focus will be on your characters, so I don't mind not having a character. My fun is to make your characters and the other characters act, react, participate in history and duke it out in the pages of this history of the fall of the Han. After all, while your characters will do things, it doesn't mean Dong Zhuo or Yuan Shao will stay idle!
  3. Finally... I already have one character. 4 in fact. xD You see, when JaceX was finishing the mod, he realized there were a few counties that weren't occupied by historical characters, so he opened it up for fans to create their own character with their family. I think I was the first one to jump on the opportunity. It's an old dude named Dai Meng with complicated family dynamics in Bing. His family is described at the end of page 44 of the mod's page, if you're curious. He's actually not far from Xuan Su's starting spot, so who knows...

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thoroughly enjoyed Dragon Kin, so will be following this. Not very familiar the setting, so will be a nice introduction. Decided to put together a character and will look forward to seeing what you might do with him.

Name: Pan Zheng
Relationship: Betrothed
Starting Province: Yi

Diplomacy: 5 Martial: 3 Stewardship: 7 Intrigue: 2 Learning: 9 (2/3/5/7/9)

Traits:
  1. Distinguished Scholar
  2. Destined
  3. Genius
  4. Architect
  5. Patient, Honest, Stubborn, Selfish

• 1Like
Reactions:
Technically, I have the entire cast of the Three Kingdoms as character. After all, while some of the focus will be on your characters, so I don't mind not having a character. My fun is to make your characters and the other characters act, react, participate in history and duke it out in the pages of this history of the fall of the Han. After all, while your characters will do things, it doesn't mean Dong Zhuo or Yuan Shao will stay idle!
I'm drooling thinking of Mo Jie becoming Liu Bei's minister, or Yao Shuren killing Yuan Shao in a duel, or Han Zu becoming Chancellor and deposing the Han...

• 2Love
Reactions:
I know right? Getting a little overexcited about this AAR. I got bored and wrote out each characters stat lines to compare and see how they are ranked amongst each other and the court they serve in.

Making up stories in my head on what I think could happen.

Went to got see how my Liu compares to the other duelists. Lu Bu, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, and Xu Chu are the only four better than him.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is still 24 hours remaining until I close character creation (so arround east zone dinner time tomorrow), SO ANYONE STILL INTERESTED IS WELCOME TO MAKE THEIR CHARACTER.

Last edited:
Reactions:
So here we are. I officially close the character creation! So as I did with Dragon Kin, I will most a bio for the 10 characters and then start the AAR proper. Couple of things I'd like to say first:
  • For the ruled, I turned off Defensive Pacts and Shattered Retreat. I removed Defensive Pacts as it slows down unification considerably as warlord just stands around waiting for their threat to go down after one expansion. Would kill the flow of the story. As for shattered retreat, while I often have it, I decided to remove it so battles could be more decisive. With shattered retreat you can regroup and just come back, while whitout it the first battle might lead to the winner then pursuing the broken army and destroy it, thus making the battle far more important.
  • From what I understand, the mod is mostly based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. So for example, Diaochan exist and the Oath of the Peach Garden between Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhanf Fei is cannon. However, some real life stuffs are in too, like for example Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu being brothers instead of cousins like in the Romance.
  • For those that missed it, I'll be switching between characters over the course of the story.
  • Everyone who was single or wasn't a Liu got at least one relative. That's because courtiers that have no relations to anyone or anythings are sometimes killed by the game when they change court to help the game run. I noticed that so I gave most of you someone related to so the game keep you around, even if for most that person is dead and irrelevant to the story.
  • If anyone doesn't understand references to people or events I might make, I'd be happy to explain to the best of my capacities so please ask.

Reactions:
Can't wait to read the bios you came up with for everybody. I love that in both this AAR and in Dragon Kin, I am a little different from the rest of the group. Only Targaryen Kingsguard in the last one and now the only member of the Liu clan.

Be a day or two before the Bios and AAR begins? Or have you been working on them while waiting?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Introduction: Heroes of the Late Han
Be a day or two before the Bios and AAR begins? Or have you been working on them while waiting?

INTRODUCTION: THE HEROES OF THE LATE HAN

1-LIU SIYUAN
20200927121712_1.jpg

Birth: 163 (Year of the Rabbit)

Li Siyuan is one of the many Scions of the Han who lives throughout the empire. The great-great-grandson of Emperor Ming from Prince Liu Gong, he spent most of his youth in the imperial capital of Luoyang, where his father Liu Si was (and still is) an attendant at the Emperor’s court. As such, young Liu Siyuan had the honor of meeting Emperor Ling on a few occasions as he grew up. He turned out to become a passionate swordsman whose skills were said to be the best in the capital, even if his attitude and morals were sometimes criticized at court. His father hoped this would translate in a position among the Tiger Guard, and there were even rumors that Emperor Ling was considering making him a marquis (if Liu Si had the money to buy his son the title, that is). These plans went out the window as the Imperial Court had to face the Yellow Turban Rebellion in 184. Following the defeat of the main rebel army, Liu Siyuan was instead sent to live with his cousin Liu He in Xu Province. As an influential advisor of Tao Qian, Liu He was recently able to gain his cousin a command in the governor’s court. Will he use this position to serve his lord faithfully or try and save the Han from destruction?
20200927122018_1.jpg
20200927122031_1.jpg
20200927121745_1.jpg
20200927121738_1.jpg

2-XIAO RU

20200927122046_1.jpg

Birth: 163 (Year of the Rabbit)

Xiao Ru always hoped for a better life. Born the son of a gardener, he showed a knack for his family’s trade, but he always dreamed of more. He tried to get a job in the imperial administration, but his stuttering blocked his access to many positions, and instead he found himself as a low ranked law official in a small village. While he showed to have a talent for his new position, people began to resent him as a harsh and cruel official who enforced laws to the letter. Another official once said he would have been of more use for the cruel Qin Dynasty than the virtuous Han. His time to shine came during the Yellow Turban Rebellion when his quick thinking led him to have two dozen young men arrested before they join the rebellion. With the other officials having fled, Xiao Ru was left to “cleanse” the town of Yellow Turban influence. He was ruthless in his purge, but after three years he had brought things to a sense of normality again. A rich merchant, trying to stay in his good favors, offered him his daughter in marriage, which Xiao Ru accepted. Still, he hoped for more in life than being the head administrator of a small village. So when he learned that the fames scholar Ying Bao had been appointed administrator of Taishan Commandery, Xiao Ru immediately left to enter his service. But will this satisfy him, or will Xiao Ru try to rise even higher?
20200927122117_1.jpg

3-JIANG XIAN
20200927122213_1.jpg

Birth: 166 (Year of the Horse)

Jiang Xian is an imposing figure, a tall man in a court of people were people now try to make themselves as small as possible. Thanks to his efforts (and his family paying the price of the office), Jiang Xian was able to obtain a small position at court following the Yellow Turban Rebellion. It was barely anything, but it gave him an entrance in the Imperial Capital. He soon found himself at home in the imperial court, quickly picking up on politics and was charming enough that people talked with him and enjoyed his company. His humility and sense of honor led many to praise him, and soon he had contacts among high court officials. Was Jiang Xian corrupt? He tried not to be, but it was hard to be a just man all the time in the court of Emperor Ling. Still, he maintained a lifestyle that was dignified and honorable for a man his station. He especially enjoyed organising tea parties with other officials to talk and praise the Han for all the good the Dynasty had brought for them. He brewed his own tea, which was said to be as good as the owned by the Imperial family, a rumor Jiang Xian nipped in the bud so not to get into any trouble or get accused of stealing imperial tea. Then Emperor Ling died, the eunuchs were killed and now Dong Zhuo rules over Luoyang. His tea parties are now kept secret out of fear, where Jiang Xian and his friends curse Dong Zhuo and talk of restoring the Han. But will he act on these desires, or will Jiang Xian search for better fortune elsewhere?
20200927122031_1.jpg
20200927122325_1.jpg

4-FENG ZIAN

20200927122349_1.jpg

Birth: 169 (Year of the Rooster)

Feng Zian has always been described as a man of passion. He developed a passion for books. Law, philosophy, strategy… He read most of it, and in fact at some point considered becoming a man of law until he was persuaded otherwise. He became famous as a local scholar and was often found reading the Art of War while he wandered in town. His other passions were more… physical. He worked hard to master his body through martial art just like he had done for his mind with books. Many came to see him train, which in turn led to Feng Zian discovering the joys of women, something he proved very “passionate” about. He was in fact forced to marry a girl due to one of his indiscretions, the two eventually having a son named Feng Yong. Eventually, his skills and his talent for strategy caught the attention of the local administrator, Zhang Zi, who took him in as a small time officer. He was thus one of the first to meet the arriving army of Yuan Shu, who had just fled the capital after massacring the eunuchs. The lord offered Feng Zian to join him, as he saw some use in the young man. Feng Zian, impressed by this powerful man, agreed. Soon after Zhang Zi was killed by Sun Jian, Yuan Shao’s general, leaving Yuan Shu to take control of Nanyang Commandery.
20200927122406_1.jpg
20200927122419_1.jpg
20200927122426_1.jpg

5-XUAN SU
20200927122457_1.jpg

Birth: 167 (Year of the Goat)

Xuan Su was born on the northern Han border, living at the junction where the civilisation of the Han ceded its place to the lawlessness and chaos of the northern barbarians. Because of this, his village was often attacked by raiders, forcing him to lead the village’s effort against the barbarians. He proved both a capable commander and, most famously, a dangerous duelist, killing the leader of one raiding party with a single strike. This lifestyle would leave him ruthless, often laughing at all these scholars who tried to be righteous and follow Confucius’s teachings to the letter. Of course, some challenged his growing authority, but he was easily able to outmanoeuver them, proving to be a political genius when it came to intrigues and backstabbing others. He worked hard to protect his village, but Xuan Su always dreamt of more. When Ding Yuan was summoned to the capital to help against the eunuchs, Xuan Su took the lead of the recruits his village had to provide. However, Ding Yuan found that Dong Zhuo had already taken the capital. Soon, Ding Yuan’s trusted right hand man and adopted son Lü Bu killed him and offered his head to Dong Zhuo. Xuan Su was among the soldiers picked by Lü Bu to help him in his plot against Ding Yuan. For his effort, Xuan Su returned to his home as the lieutenant of Ji Fu, the newly appointed Administrator of Yunzhong Commandery, meaning Xuan Su was effectively in charge of the troops. But would Xuan Su be satisfied with this position or would he continue his rise toward a higher position?
20200927122531_1.jpg
20200927122325_1.jpg
20200927122545_1.jpg
20200927122522_1.jpg

6-HU ZAN
20200927122616_1.jpg

Birth: 172 (Year of the Rat)

Hu Zan was born in utter poverty, his family coming from a line of disgraced officials having lost all their fortune. At a young age, Hu Zan proved to have a rare intelligence which allowed his family to have him placed in a wealthier household. His background left young Hu Zan wanting for riches and gold, and always searching to accumulate more for himself. He thus sometimes stole from the household which housed him as a ward, although he was never caught. He would eventually stop doing this out of guilt as he learned kindness and to respect others, and especially those that had done so much for him. They thought him the art of war, and soon Hu Zan proved to be a skilled tactician and learned military leader, although he was still too young to lead troops. He was proving extremely talented in many domains, in fact. This led him to become arrogant to the chagrin of his mentors, although Hu Zan saw this only as jealousy. His ambition, which had previously been motivated by a desire to get a better life, was now motivated by the feeling that he was destined for more, that he was worthy enough to rise above others. Soon he learned that Kong Rong, a direct descendant of Confucius, had been appointed to his home Commandery. Hu Zan was among the many generals and officials who rallied to the illustrious man. But would Hu Zan satisfy himself in serving Kong Rong, or would he seek to become his own master?
20200927122625_1.jpg

7-YANG WEILI
20200927122737_1.jpg

Birth: 160 (Year of the Rat)

Yang Weili was born in a rich merchant family. As he grew up, the young man found a bigger interest in books than in administration, although he did prove decent enough at the latter that his family tried to persuade him away of his scholastic interests, even going as far as cutting his allowance. He was humble and did not try to take the credit of others, credit that was rarely his anyway due to his laziness. He was also bluntly honest, which put him on the wrong side of many officials and blocked him a lot of paths in life. The lazy man didn’t care as he was happy to live a simple life. Then the Yellow Turban Rebellion happened and Yang Weili found himself drafted. He began to study tactics and strategies in his free time, and soon the reluctant recruit turned into an efficient and popular strategist, serving as the key advisor of a few local commanders. After the war, he found himself in the court of Tao Qian, the Governor of Xu Province. However, he found little fan of his opinions there, with the notable exception of one Chen Wen, who had heard of his exploits during the Yellow Turban Rebellion. So when Chen Wen was appointed as the new Inspector of Yang Province, he chose to bring Yang Weili with him, the big salary he offered playing a big part in Yang Weili accepting. Thus the lazy strategist found himself a new home, but will he serve it faithfully or will he find fortune elsewhere?
20200927121738_1.jpg
20200927122749_1.jpg

8-YAO SHUREN

20200927122842_1.jpg

Birth: 169 (Year of the Rooster)

Yao Shuren was the son of Yao Huan, who had been an officer under Dong Zhuo since day one. Yao Huan was average as a commander, but he still ensured that his son got the best military education possible, hoping the boy would follow in his footsteps, or maybe even surpass him. He quickly became convinced that his son would prove the later, as Yao Shuren was already a genius at young age. Diligent and hardworking, the boy was proving to be the joy of Yao Huan. The son had his head filled with the ambitious dreams of his father, and soon he began to share these dreams. Sadly, Yao Huan died in the early stages of the Yellow Turban Rebellion fighting the rebels. Dong Zhuo was smart enough to keep the younger Yao around, and his reputation as a talented strategist was already something well known even back then. So Yao Shuren waited patiently in the warlord’s court where he saw firsthand the brutality of Dong Zhuo and his cruel methods. Yao Shuren became convinced that the fat warlord knew what he was doing. It was better to be ruthless with your enemies than forgiving and have them betray you later. When Dong Zhuo was called to the capital, the young man followed as a strategic advisor and now serves his lord as he rules the Imperial Capital. But will Yao Shuren live his life as Dong Zhuo’s lackey, or will he achieve the dreams his father had for him?
20200927122852_1.jpg
20200927122325_1.jpg

9-MO JIE
20200927122920_1.jpg

Birth: 160 (Year of the Rat)

Mo Jie was born of a small Han Chinese noble family in Liang Province. In Liang Province, Chinese, Di and Qiang people lived together, although the oppression of the central government was always weighting over them. Mo Jie lacked the charisma to become a politician, and in fact was extremely shy in public, barely able to talk when others were around. So instead he became an administrative official, being in charge of building fortifications in the north of the province to protect from barbarian raids. He was known for enforcing rules on his construction sites, refusing bribes and obeying stubbornly the law. Things changed in 184. While the Han Dynasty dealt with the Yellow Turbans, Qiang locals revolted against Han rule. Sympathetic to their cause, Mo Jie joined the rebellion like many other Chinese sympathisers who wanted the province free of the central government. Thus Liang was engulfed in a five year war. Mo Jie put his time as an architect to good use, becoming an expert in siege warfare, destroying some of the very same fortifications he helped build. The rebellion was eventually crushed, but the Chinese Han Sui and the Qiang Ma Teng escaped and formed their own fiefdoms, with Mo Jie following the former. But has Mo Jie chosen the right side? And who will he support should the friendship between the two remaining rebels turn to war? Will he continue to back Han Sui, side with Ma Teng or find his destiny elsewhere?
20200927122931_1.jpg
20200927122944_1.jpg

10- PAN ZHENG
20200927123039_1.jpg

Birth: 173 (Year of the Ox)

Pan Zheng is the youngest son of Pan Wei, a noble whose family had first arrived in Yi Province a century ago, when the restored Han was once again in a golden age. Pan Wei’s older brother Pan Jian was a smart young man preparing himself for a life in the imperial army. Because of this, Pan Zheng turned to books and philosophy so to not be compared with his older brother. It turned out he was worried for nothing as he would prove to be a smart young boy in his own right. He studied and learned the teachings of Confucius and other more recent Confucian scholars. He also showed a great interest in architecture, reading multiple city plans and even designing a few houses. His father hoped that Pan Zheng would use this interest to become an imperial official, but in his youth he stubbornly pursued the dream of becoming a scholar. Sadly, the peaceful life of the Pan Clan was shaken when in 187 Pan Jian was killed fighting barbarians in the south of Yi in one of their frequent uprisings against Han rule. This left the 14 years old Pan Zheng with a deep hatred for the Nanmyan tribesmen. Pan Wei, now his attention solely focused on his last son, decided to find him a mentor. He approached the powerful official Fan Min, who agreed due to his friendship with Pan Feng’s late grandfather. Pan Wei even arranged a betrothal for his son with the daughter of Fang Lingxin, another official serving Fan Min. Now Pan Zheng lives in Fan Min’s court, but what will happen when the old administrator die? Where will destiny take him next?
20200927123116_1.jpg
20200927123206_1.jpg
20200927123049_1.jpg
20200927123217_1.jpg

STARTING SPOT
20200919202346_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20200927122046_1.jpg
    20200927122046_1.jpg
    106,2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Very nice backstories! Also very nice to portray me as a freemason-like rebel. I especially liked this pun:

He brewed his own tea, which was said to be as good as the owned by the Imperial family, a rumor Jiang Xian nipped in the bud so not to get into any trouble or get accused of stealing imperial tea.
Seems me and Yao Shuren will be meeting each other in not so positive ways...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think this tale could be even harder to keep everything straight than your GoT one (which alas I eventually fell off). :)

Reactions:
I think this tale could be even harder to keep everything straight than your GoT one (which alas I eventually fell off). :)

True that, but I'll damn well read it twice then.

Checking out these characters and backgrounds is pretty cool, and now I feel like Hu Zan compared to Yao Shuren, Liu Siyan, and Yang Weili is pretty small fish. *suddenly nervous*. I wish my character luck, he's going to need it.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Mo Jie (Midnite Duke) of family Green Dragon (Is the head a dragon, a wolf, or something else?) from land Puke Green (horrible crest for Jincheng). As a siege specialist born in the year of the rat, I foresee some bio warfare. I am a rebel on the outskirts of the empire with a great administrator (martial 24, low stat 11, total 75). But the neighboring high chief is a giant (martial 33, diplomacy 22, low stat 14, total 100) among mortals and also the only non Han. With my high dip (0), I am sure that I can influence you to adopt my suggestion. Suggestion: The first time that our character is mentioned in an update that you put our name in ( ). An example is (@patpekala). Thank you for the update and the great bios.

Yang Weili's bio is pretty much exactly as I imagined it might be. Spot on characterization :)

I may have to brush up on my RotK knowledge, though, since I've forgotten a fair number of the historical / main narrative characters. (To be fair, there's an awful lot of them to keep track of to begin with...)

Checking out these characters and backgrounds is pretty cool, and now I feel like Hu Zan compared to Yao Shuren, Liu Siyan, and Yang Weili is pretty small fish. *suddenly nervous*. I wish my character luck, he's going to need it.

For what it's worth, yours does have an advantage in that he's one of the more well-rounded and versatile characters here, and Yang would most likely lose any sort of straight-up one-on-one duel if it ever came to that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice write-ups for all the characters.

Pan Zheng was content to spend his life in scholarly pursuits, but it seems with the untimely death of his older brother, Jian, the future of his family now rest on his young shoulders and he will pulled out of his comfortable existence and forced into the world to raise his family's prestige and standing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
190: In the Tyrant's Court
190: IN THE TYRANT’S COURT

Dong Zhuo now walked in the palace with full armor and guards. It was a decree of the Emperor that no man may enter the imperial palace armed, yet here they were. Dong Zhuo was once again breaking ancient Han traditions like it was nothing, like he didn’t care. But he didn’t care. He was in charge, and he would do whatever he wanted. If he wanted to sleep with the Emperor’s concubines, then so be it. If he wanted to sleep in the Emperor’s bed, he would do so. If he wanted to wear armor in the imperial palace, he would wear it. Besides, he needed it more than ever. A few weeks ago, the colonel of cavalry Cao Cao tried to assassinate him while he was sleeping! That treacherous snake! Since that assassination, the tyrant had put the entire capital of Luoyang under heavy guard and began to purge the court of officials he suspected to be related with the plot against his life. Soldiers guarded the gates to make sure Cao Cao could not escape and all houses were searched. Yet Cao Cao managed to make it out of Luoyang. At least the Chancellor could take comfort in the fact that all those who supported Cao Cao would die. Dong Zhuo went to the Emperor with an edict that the child could simply acquiesced to. Soon it was read in front of the ministers, officials, courtiers and sycophants that populated the palace.
20200928180924_1.jpg

“The Emperor decrees: Cao Cao has betrayed the benevolence that the Han has showed him. The traitor, with the help of unloyal and corrupt servants, attempted against the life of his Excellency Dong Zhuo, Grand Chancellor of the Han. We summon his Excellency to purge the great capital of Luoyang from these corrupting forces and rebellious treats.”

Then Dong Zhuo threw the edict on the ground and told his men to “get to it”. He ordered that those found to have supported Cao Cao would be tortured and executed, their Clan wiped out, their houses burned and their wealth confiscated as repayment to the Chancellor and his loyal warriors. Needless to say, Dong Zhuo’s generals were keen to find as much traitors as possible. For the next few days Luoyang was plunged in chaos as soldiers erupted into houses to kill men and children and to rape women.

Yao Shuren, the young strategic advisor of the tyrant, was among the officers charged of conducting the purge. He wasn’t particularly interested in the torture and the massacres, but his loyalty laid with Dong Zhuo. He wasn’t going to shy away from killing people who might have been a treat to his lord out of some sense of moral. Dong Zhuo wanted dead officials? He would have them. With about five dozen men Yao Shuren patrolled some of the richer houses on the outskirts of the capital, finding out more than enough homes where Cao Cao might have hidden when he escaped. The suspicion of doubt was enough for him and he had his men to their job, killing the screaming families and burning their estates. He made sure to have the heads sent back to Dong Zhuo to show how hard he was working at his task.

He decided to also organise night patrols to catch any suspicious activities. At first, some of Dong Zhuo’s senior’s staffs were quick to dismiss this as the young man working too hard for nothing. Even Dong Huang, Dong Zhuo’s nephew and the recently appointed Chief Attendant of the Imperial Palace, tried to dissuade him. Yao Shuren would later suspect that Dong Huang was trying to dissuade him because he was actually one of the conspirators alongside Cao Cao. This was a suspicion that he would become convinced was true with the years, even if it was in fact wrong.
20200928183639_1.jpg

“The traitors have been purged, Yao Shuren! We are safe again. So why continue? The threat has passed.”

“Does his Excellency still wears armor at court?”
Yao Shuren asked.

This took Dong Huang aback, but in the end did answer that yes, his uncle was still wearing an armor at court.

“Then his Excellency still believes there is a threat, and I will flush it out for him.” Yao Shuren answered.

Yao Shuren was proven right when one night soldiers came to wake him up, telling him that an official was found trying to escape the capital with his family. The guards had arrested him and sent word for Yao Shuren immediately. He made his way to the cell were the family was held. Seeing an opportunity, Yao Shuren ordered that the man be left untouched and instead brought him to Dong Zhuo. He had to wait almost an hour before being allowed in front of the Chancellor, as the fat tyrant was having “fun” with the imperial harem when Yao Shuren came to seek audience. He told his lord that the man had tried to escape the capital to join forces with Cao Cao. Dong Zhuo was pleased with the catch and was especially happy to be brought a traitor he could pass his frustration on. The man screamed at Dong Zhuo: “Your Excellency! Please! Spare me!” he kept repeating. This only made Dong Zhuo laugh while Yao Shuren shook his head at how stupid the man was to beg. There would be no mercy. As a reward, Dong Zhuo offered the young strategist any woman he wanted. There were even a few young women from the traitors’ families who had been kept around as rewards, and so the old fat man offered him to take the one he wanted. It wasn’t as if the women could say no. Yao Shuren respectfully refused, simply saying “Proving myself loyal to his Excellency is enough of a reward.” He did take the coins and the mansion, though.
20200928181027_1.jpg

The next day, the officials who arrived at court were welcomed to a gruesome sight. The man who had been caught by Yao Shuren was dismembered in front of the whole court, Dong Zhuo relishing in the sight of all these courtiers livid. When there was nothing left to tear appart, it became the wife’s turn to experience the same fate. Then the brother, the sons, the child daughter… And the officials were forced to look at this horror while praising Dong Zhuo and thanking him for “protecting the Emperor of such vile traitors”. Anyone who tried to pleaded mercy for the family or asked to leave were grabbed, brought outside and executed. There would be no mercy for those who sympathised with traitors.

This climate of fear made Jiang Xian even more paranoid than before. In fact, he had been expecting a knock on his door ever since Cao Cao had failed to kill the tyrant. He had met Colonel Cao on a few occasions over the last year. He had even invited the man for two tea parties with other officials. He knew him. Heavens forbid, he was at the meeting where Cao Cao boldly declared that they were all cowards and that he would slay the tyrant himself if they didn’t. During that private banquet for officials that had served under Emperor Ling, Cao Cao came uninvited. The man then accused them of cowardice, saying “You are all men here, but you act like women.” Then he went on to say he was the only one here courageous enough to do the deed. Jiang Xian thought that the man was simply boasting. What madman would dare to strike at Dong Zhuo In the current circumstances? But Cao Cao had actually tried to do it. Jiang Xian could only admire the man’s bravery and curse the man’s failure. Now he was on a possible hit list, and each day he lived fearing it could be his last. The fact one of his friends had been dismembered with his family in front of the court only made him more paranoid.
20200928181011_1.jpg

He finally received a visit from Guo Si, one of Dong Zhuo’s main generals. Guo Si came in his home breaking the door, but then sat down with him (possibly intimidated by Jiang Xian’s size) and coldly asked for that famous tea of his. Shaken and afraid, Jiang Xian did his best to brew the best tea he could with what he had. He also made sure to make the tea as relaxing as possible, even putting some herbs in it to calm the growingly impatient officer. When he drank the tea, Guo Si became a lot more mellow, and so the two were able to have a little chat. The general had done his homework and confronted him with knowledge of the banquet of “loyal officials” that Cao Cao had attended. He “kindly” asked Jiang Xian to explain to him what he was doing there. Jiang Xian explained to Guo Si the truth: they were having a nice meal to honor the Han and talk of his Excellency when Cao Cao interrupted the banquet by arriving unannounced. Of course, he changed the story to make Cao Cao as much of a bandit as possible and make it sound like they were praising Dong Zhuo before he arrived. Guo Si listened to the story in silence, simply asking for more tea when Jiang Xian had finished.

“It would be… a waste to rid the world of such good tea.” Guo Si finally declared.

Jiang Xian could only fall on his knees in relieve. “Thank you general! Truly, you of all men are a loyal and honorable man! His Excellency could not have chosen a better man to separate traitors from the righteous servants!”

Guo Si enjoyed the praises, but it was not enough to rid him of all suspicions toward Jiang Xian. Since it would be “such a shame” if such a tea expert was to be removed, then the general could only leave in good conscience if he left some of his men to guard and protect Jiang Xian. Of course, Guo Si left these men with the specific instruction of watching Jiang Xian and killing him should he prove too suspicious. Jiang Xian had lived long enough at court to realize what these guards were for, but all he could do was thankfully accept them and thank the “gracious General Guo for his kind protection”. Jiang Xian made sure not to do anything that would give his new jailors reasons to kill him. He almost never leaved his house except for official duties. He gave tea to the guards and welcomed them as guests. This routine continued for two weeks until Guo Si recalled them, as Dong Zhuo was planning a military campaign and needed all men available. Guo Si, furious that he had found nothing, ordered his men to trash Jiang Xian’s house as they left out of spite.
20200928181000_1.jpg

I didn’t mean that Jiang Xian had to stop acting as the loyal little official who did lip service whenever he could. With the recent events, surely Dong Zhuo would get rid of anyone he suspected of… well, anything, really. With the visit of Guo Si, Jiang Xian was panicked and afraid for his life. So he began to act as loyal as he could, as inconsequential as he could. When he was offered a post in the Imperial Palace as Minister of the Ceremonies, he refused, suspecting that it was a test by Guo Si. When one official told Dong Zhuo that he has yet to reunify the realm, a veiled criticism, Jiang Xian jumped in and countered by saying:

“His Excellency has restored the Han, saving it from wicked eunuchs and impious subjects! His radiant grace was enough to restore dignity to the realm. His accomplishments speak of his great service to the Dynasty, yet you dare ask more of the man who gave us so much?”

He wanted to puke for saying these words, especially when he heard a few days later that Dong Zhuo agreed with him and executed the other official in accordance. His words of support for the tyrant were so good that they led to the death of one of his fellow servants of the Han. Needless to say, many officials stopped frequenting him now that he seemed loyal to Dong Zhuo.

But the esteemed Wang Yun continued to frequent him. The old man saw the truth behind his actions, that of a scared man. Wang Yun had been an official since the early reign of Emperor Ling and was an expert in capital politics. He was also a righteous and humble man who remained loyal to the Dynasty. Wang Yun had in fact been the host of the banquet that Cao Cao had interrupted, and unbeknown to Jiang Xian, had actually secretly met with Cao Cao later and gave him the weapon he used to attempt against Dong Zhuo’s life. Jiang Xian had a lot of respect for the man, and the two began to talk in secret, wondering what could be done to save the Han from the grasp of the tyrant. Of course, it was mostly talk, as neither believed they had any chance right now at overthrowing the man. Still, the two became close associates, with Wang Yun seeing in the honorable Jiang Xian a protégé who could continue working for the restoration of the Han should he die.
20200928181036_1.jpg

In early April, after two months of the two meeting for talks and tea, Wang Yun offered Jiang Xian to come to his house for one meeting. Jiang Xian was hesitant, as their meetings had always been at his house so far. Wouldn’t it be too risky to meet elsewhere? But Wang Yun insisted, humbly saying that he felt bad that Jiang Xian always had to host him and that it was his turn to respond with kindness. Jiang Xian at first refused, even if it meant offending the old man, too afraid that Dong Zhuo was watching them. During their next meeting, Wang Yun asked again, and Jiang Xian refused again. It was only on the third meeting that Jiang Xian finally relented. When the two arrived to Wang Yun’s house, the old man had the servants prepare a meal for the two. The two had just started to eat when Jiang Xian saw her. Diaochan.
20200928181044_1.jpg

Once upon a time, Wang Yun had adopted a singer he had taken in his household, making her his daughter. The woman was now a beauty of the likes barely seen through the land, possibly only matched in Heaven. Wang Yun asked her to perform in from of his guest, and so this was how Jiang Xian got his first sight of Diaochan. Her beauty was so hypnotizing that Jiang Xian began to suspect this was a trap of some sort. He quickly pushed these shameful ideas away and tried to focus on Wang Yun and talk with him. But his eyes kept wandering back to the beautiful girl. The next day, he would ask Wang Yun to have the meeting at his house again. And the day after. Soon all meetings where at Wang Yun’s house. He soon began to bring gifts for the girl with him. And he began to talk to her, trying to wave her with poems and praises. Now, Wang Yun wasn’t stupid. It didn’t take long for the official to realize the interest Jiang Xian had for Diaochan. He chose to allow it, and by early May Jiang Xian came in and asked to marry Diaochan. Wang Yun was hoping for this, as this would tie Jiang Xian to him and the cause of saving the Han. He accepted on one condition, that Jiang Xian took a pledge.

“I will not rest until the Han is saved from the villain Dong Zhuo. I will not forsake my duties to the Han by abandoning it for my personal safety. I will see the tyrant dead and the Han restored.”

After Jiang Xian had pledged, Wang Yun gave his consent and had Diaochan married to Jiang Xian.
20200928182522_1.jpg

The two were married as soon as possible, but the happy life of marriage soon turned to worries and paranoia as Jiang Xian tried his best to keep his new beautiful wife inside the house, making sure she never left. She was angered by this, but Jiang Xian feared what would happen if she was seen by a general of Dong Zhuo or worst. What if the tyrant himself saw her? She would probably be dragged to the palace and forced to become his concubine, or she would be given as a gift to one of his generals. No, he couldn’t let that happen. Thankfully, Wang Yun was also of the same opinion, and after explaining the situation they were able to convince Diaochan of the need of remaining hidden, at least until the tyrant had been removed.

Sadly, the new married couple suffered a big loss only a month in their marriage. In early June, Wang Yun fell ill to the point of being bedridden. As his son-in-law, Jiang Xian went to care for him, although the physician hired told him not to hold hopes. Wang Yun called for him as he laid on the verge of death.

“J-Jiang… Xian… Where… Where are you…”

Jiang Xian quickly made his way to his bedside, answering. “I am here!” while holding his hand.

“The… The Han… Dynasty… must be… saved… you must… oath…”

“I will, Wang Yun. I will.”
he swore again.

A few hours later, in the early morning of June the 9th, 190, Wang Yun died at the age of 53. As his son-in-law, Jiang Xian inherited most of his estates, but it still left him without support. He had pledged to rid the empire of Dong Zhuo. But how could he do it, and who could he trust to accomplish such tremendous task?
20200928182534_1.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Two things I'd like to say about the AAR.
  1. So there is a lot to cover. In the months up to Wang Yun's death, 8 wars started. EIGHT! This include Dong Zhuo's military campaign that i mentionned in this chapter. So what I will do is instead of covering it all in one chronological order and jumping each paragraph from one side of the China to the other, I will cover one or a few subjects all related in one narrative, then rollback if needed to fully cover another narrative arc that happened at the same time. This is why I put years in the title of each chapter, to give an idea when it happens. So for example, Chapter 5 or 6 will cover that military campaign that Dong Zhuo launched in March, so around the time Jiang Xian was becoming friend with Wang Yun.
  2. Because of this, and the fact some wars last a long time or some warlords do nothing at times, some characters might receive less attention than others at times. Now, I garantee. For example, one character does basically nothing of 190, so will be barely covered. If your character is barely mentionned, do not worry. I'll make sure he has a place in the story, but it can take time before he has his time to shine, so patience. Zhuge Liang, Liu Bei's great strategist, only started being relevant in 207. Now I'll make sure all characters appear sooner than that :) , but it gives an idea that you will all have a moment to shine.

Attachments

• 20200928181044_1.jpg
    20200928181044_1.jpg
    110,3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Probably should have answered these before posting a chapter. Oh well, better late than never.

Very nice backstories! Also very nice to portray me as a freemason-like rebel. I especially liked this pun:

Seems me and Yao Shuren will be meeting each other in not so positive ways...
I took big inspiration of Wang Yun, that official who eventually killed Dong Zhuo in real life, for his backstory.

And yeah, the chapter should give you and idea of how both men stands and what opinion they probably have of each other. :p

Not going to lie, having that much to cover will be a challenge. xD Good news is the more the story advance, the less states there will be, so it will get easier with time as people get conquered.

Let's put it this way. Currently, Simayi is a 12 years old kid and Zhuge Liang is 9. Yet both become among the most powerful characters in the IRL Three Kingdoms. It's not where you start that count, it's where you end up. ;)

Mo Jie (Midnite Duke) of family Green Dragon (Is the head a dragon, a wolf, or something else?) from land Puke Green (horrible crest for Jincheng). As a siege specialist born in the year of the rat, I foresee some bio warfare. I am a rebel on the outskirts of the empire with a great administrator (martial 24, low stat 11, total 75). But the neighboring high chief is a giant (martial 33, diplomacy 22, low stat 14, total 100) among mortals and also the only non Han. With my high dip (0), I am sure that I can influence you to adopt my suggestion. Suggestion: The first time that our character is mentioned in an update that you put our name in ( ). An example is (@patpekala). Thank you for the update and the great bios.
Green all around, then! And yes the head is a dragon.

As for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind. I preffer to keep the AAR itself free of forum stuffs as much as possible, but I might put at the end of each AAR a note or something pinging people whose characters I used maybe. I'll think about it.

Yang Weili's bio is pretty much exactly as I imagined it might be. Spot on characterization :)

I may have to brush up on my RotK knowledge, though, since I've forgotten a fair number of the historical / main narrative characters. (To be fair, there's an awful lot of them to keep track of to begin with...)
Well, Yang Weili was pretty easy to pinpoint when I got who he was based on!

And yeah, there is a lot of characters. xD

Nice write-ups for all the characters.

Pan Zheng was content to spend his life in scholarly pursuits, but it seems with the untimely death of his older brother, Jian, the future of his family now rest on his young shoulders and he will pulled out of his comfortable existence and forced into the world to raise his family's prestige and standing.
Thanks! We'll have to see what Pan Zheng does now that he has to become the main son.

Reactions:
Jang Xian chapter! Okay, well Shuren too. But mostly Xian. The dude that was once a gentle giant is now a scheming giant - for real now, tho. Well, least it's a nice start. Wish Xian the best in killing King Dong.

Yeah, also, did you say 8 wars!!! Wow. Can you name them right now? I'm guessing one could be like: Chi war for Yuo for [Enter Name] Territory?

• 1Like
Reactions: