The Kuzari or the Book of Refutation and Proof on Behalf of the Despised Religion [Alt-History Steppe AAR]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Killcrazy13

Second Lieutenant
22 Badges
Jan 3, 2023
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
AAR background – Ever since I noticed that the holy site of Kerch for the Kuzarite faith gave a bonus to steppe growth, I’ve been fascinated by the possibility of a steppe kingdom able to rival the Byzantines and the Rus. I then started to read more about the Kuzarite faith and found that there isn’t much known about it and some say that it was the Crimean Radhanite puppeteering of the Khazar lords which led to them being Jewish and combining it with their steppe traditions. So with so little known and this goal being completely a-historical, it made it interesting to see how/where the story of this dynasty takes us.

Do note that I play a heavily modded game with DTR, More Game Rules, Historic Invasions and many others to both deepen the gameplay and add challenges so things may happen here that you might not see in a vanilla game.

Renaming the thread title after coming across the book in my later desktop research. It's a real historical book written by a Spanish Jew discussing the merits of Judaism in the Khazari court.

This is my first AAR but I’ve enjoyed many of the others shared here and hope to be able to bring this campaign to a satisfactory conclusion.

I would like to add the disclaimer that I am not Jewish and not well versed in the religion. I've taken some liberties in how aspects of the religion are applied in this alt-history, with the excuse that a steppe Jews are going to apply their cultural outlook on the practical aspects of worship and social organization. If anything in this AAR is disrespectful or offensive, I apologise in advance and do let me know so I can correct both the writing and my own understanding.

With all that said, let’s begin…

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Khan Otemis 'the White Lion' of Azov
Otemis 'the White Lion' of Azov'

Not much is known of the origins of King Otemis – some sources state he was a bodyguard of the Khazari Khan who was rewarded with the lands of Northern Azov for his service while others speculate he had escaped the Abbasids slave soldier army. The earliest date his name appears in the histories is 867AD when it first mentions a Chief Otemis of Azov and Khumbar conducting raids into Byzantine Kerch and the Georgian kingdoms of the Caucasus. Excelling at warfare and raiding, he brought back much treasure and slaves to Khazaria throughout the late 9th century and began encroaching on Abkhazia territory over the late 9th century, after capturing the Caucasian Gates of Darial in 879AD.

Otemis was had grown important in the esteem of the Khazar Khan and he was given the title of High Chief, and rights to the prosperous trade colony of Tmuratakan and the Radhanites merchants in control there. The Radhanites chaffed at this closer degree of control by someone they viewed as a barbarian because while the Khazars were nominally Jewish, they were not of the people and many steppe customs had been integrated into their religious practrces. Tensions built up between the urban orthodox Radhanites and the nomadic Khazars on trade taxes and in 883, full insurrection broke out while Duke Otemis was away on a raid deep in Byzantine Trebizond. The Radhanites moved too slow to complete the siege of the High Chief's stronghold in Abkhazia and the Otemis raiding force of nearly 1,000 horse swept over the lightly armed and trained Jews. After the battle, Otemis consolidated his rule in Azov, removing the Radhanites from Tmuratakan and sponsoring preachers to spread Kuzarite doctrine and practices in the orthodox Jewish community.

While Otemis fulfilled his duties as the protector of Khazaria’s southern borders, two great conquerors arose in the West, Arpad Arpad of the Magyars and Rurik Rurikid of Novgorod waged wars of conquest in Khazaria’s Russian territories until the Khan was left with only the lands East of the Volga and the Caucasus but a reprieve came in 907 when the Magyars abandoned their holdings in Zaporizhia in a great migration for the more prosperous and fertile lands of Pannonia after the Bulgarian state collapsed in the early 10th century. It was too late for Jewish Khazaria though and the Empire dissolved with the ascension of Khan Imil who returned to pagan Tengri practices after witnessing the failures of his father’s reign and the little protection the word of god provided him.

The next decade saw the newly independent Otemis consolidate his power in Azov and the surrounding regions, defeating the Alani, the remaining Abkhazians, and most famously ejecting the Byzantines from their long-held outpost in the Crimea, while the Greeks were undergoing another period of civil war and unable to muster its full might against Otemis’ army, now supported by conscripted Georgian Monaspa and Adyghean Horse Archers.

King Orestes.png

11th century depiction of Otemis as a warrior king. Later histories and portraits leave out his albinism but all older sources affirm his epithet of the White Lion.

Ancient Borders of Azov.png

The historical borders of the Khanate of Azov with its capital at Tmuratakan.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Not sure why the spam filter is not letting me add in a line about the creation of his new kingdom and ascension to King but if it's not clear, he founded a new Kingdom from those 4 duchies in the map above.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The family of Otemis
"You ask us also in your epistle: "Of what people, of what family, and of what tribe are you?" Know that we are descended from Japhet, through his son Togarmah. I have found in the genealogical books of my ancestors that Togarmah had ten sons."
Khan Otemis II

The Beni Kozar

The Kozar dynasty have detailed genealogies tracing their ancestry back to Togarmah, in turn a descendant of Japheth and Noah. Many historians consider these family trees a latter day fabrication to help reinforce the prestige of the family, and there are many other but these associations were no exclusive to the Kozars – with similar claims for the Khazars, Pechenegs, Avars and Bulgars.

Otemis’ first wife gave him four children, Sara, Tarmac, Cat and Physelar, before he had her imprisoned and tortured to death. He had her name struck from the records so we have been unable to ascertain the reasons for punishment but many historians state that this was likely the inciting incident that triggered Otemis’ lunacy and his more erratic decision-making in the latter part of his reign.

He remarried for the second time to a chieftain's daughter from the upper Volga, who gifted him another daughter and twin boy and girl.

Tarmac was his primary heir to the Khanate by steppe and Jewish law while his son Cat would become the Lord of the Crimea and Anoil, his son from his second wife would be the Chief of Abkhazia. More interestingly, the children of Sara would end up marrying into the Rurikid dynasty, with Otemis’ granddaughter marrying Fyodor, grandson of Rurik Rurikid, and a another grandson marrying the future Queen of Vladimir and establishing the Kozarite house of Vladimir. Thus began the intertwining fate of the Rus and Azov.

After his ascension to the Khanate, Otemis became obsessed with the idea of national purity, essentially declaring that his kingdom and his people were god’s chosen people, not the Khazars and their fallen Khanate nor the Radhanite Jews, establishing new rituals of kingship and a new body politic with the Kuzar dynasty and their allies ruling as Chieftains and High Chieftains from their nomad camps while the Radhanites were invited back in to manage the few cities that existed within the Khanate. These new vassals were tasked with spreading the new Otemic practices and eventually began to identify themselves as Adykhazars, different and superior to the Khazarite people of the Volga. The prosperity of the capital at Tmuratakan and Otemis’ multiple victories over Georgian invaders cemented this self-belief.

The Georgian wars did lead to many blood feuds with the houses of Anchabadze and Djaleti who desired their old lands in Abkhazia back and there were many vendettas in the waning years of Otemis’ rule and he sold dozens of Georgian nobility into slavery to defang these challengers.

In his final years, Khan Otemis grew even more convinced that he was chosen by his God to lead the faithful and had his Nasi and the Radhanite priesthood prepare an elaborate ceremony to mark the consecration of his bloodline. At this point, it was difficult to tell how much of reality the Khan perceived between his lunacy, hashish addition, and mystical communions but his in later centuries, his heirs insisted that the Beni Kozar was blessed by Yahweh through the divinely invested Otemis. He also began to practice what we know call “Solomonic Wisdom” which seems to have been a mix of kabbalistic practices and steppe shamanism that would give shape to modern day Kabbalism and Hasidic Judaism.

Otemis refused to hand leadership to his son, even as age and infirmity deprived him of much of his vigor, with the belief that Tarmac was weak and ill-prepared to lead a Khanate forged in war and blood. Otemis was finally cast into Sheol at 70 years old. He was out on campaign helping his granddaughter and her Varangian husband capture the settlement of Samar in Levedia. Surrounded by his son Cat and warrior daughters, Otemis begrudgingly bequeathed the Khanate to Tarmac and made all present swear an oath that the Kozar name would never be forgotten.

Apocryphal Woodcut Orestes.png

10th century Azovian woodcut of the aged Otemis as a penitent. High on Khan Tarmac's agenda was establishing the piety and righteousness of his father in order to solidify his own right to rule and engravings like these adorned the synagogue he founded in Tmuratakan.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Khan Tar'mac
The Heir Who Knelt

King Tarmac.png

Royal portrait of Tar'mac, 10th century

The reign of Tar’mac is remembered more for the one surrender he made and not for the many victories he delivered. The Beni Kozars or the Sons of Otemis avoided any dispute on the succession with Tar’mac rulling as Khan and Cat as his Khagan or war leader. Anoil was destined to be Nasi but Khan Otemis died before the investiture could be completed and was accorded a third of the royal inheritance, the Duchy of Abkhazia.

Taking the throne, aged 44 after spending a lifetime being sidelined by his father and his more martial brother, he oversaw the growth of trade and culture within his domain. He proved to be a masterful diplomat, winning the allegiance of several Kuzarite chieftains seeking protection and a powerful banner to rally under after the collapse of Khazaria.

Among his victories, he captured the fortress of Serkel for the son of his sister, subjugated the Pecheneg tribes of Yedisan, and captured the holy Kuzarite city of Itil from the Khanate of the Caspian Steppes. In his two decades of rulership, Khan Tar’mac had doubled the size of Azov but his detractors point out that he merely bullied the weak chiefdoms of the North using the army his father had built. There were no grand raids into Georgian or Byzantine lands and his reign is remembered for the relative frugality of his court compared to his father.

There was also the concern of succession, Khan Tar’mac had only one daughter and no sons until he was well into his late 30s. The throne passing to a woman would create issues in the dynasty, not just within the Khanate of Azov but there were claimants from the Kozars of Vladimir to be concerned about. The issue was serious enough that Khan Otemis had taken over the tutelage of Tarmac’s daughter during Tar’mac’s long tenure as crown prince. However, there was a spectacular display of fecundity by Tar’mac as upon his ascension his queen sired three more daughters and a much-desired male heir, who he named Otemis. Royal supporters claimed it as proof of the divine blessing of the house of Kozar.

Tar’mac was also vexed by the Duke of Alania, his nephew who had consolidated a realm that through inheritance laws and deaths in his father’s blood feud encompassed half of the Khanate. Fearing such a powerful vassal, he plotted to retract the Duke’s vassals in Ciscacasia and Abkhazia. These acts of tyranny led to a revolt in 932 AD from the Duke and the newly vassalized Pechenegs that was viciously put down by the Khan’s brother, the Duke of Crimea.

Tar’mac was a great lover of the arts and he sponsored many artisans, the most favored being Yetilmak, his niece and a weaver of renown. You can find her tapestry of a hunt at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, one of only a few to have survived the centuries.

Tapestry Art.jpg

Azovian hunting tapestry, 10th century

All of Tar’mac’s achievements are overshadowed by the great invasion of the Desht I’Qipchak from the steppes east of the urals. The house of Terteroba advanced westward, claiming kingdom after kingdom. Tar’mac abandoned the Kingdom of Bashkiria, allies through his wife, when they called for aid and captured Itil when the Caspian Khanate’s armies was engaged with the Kipchaks in the East. When the inexorable march of the Kipchaks reached the borders of Azov, Tar’mac bent the knee – the mightiest of the Khazarian successor states had accepted pagan overlordship.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A Khazars campaign sounds interesting.

I liked the bit about his claimed ancestry - it made the tale seem more authentic.

It's a shame that Azov is no longer free, although I suspect that the Kipchaks will collapse soon, which should allow a revolt.

Good relations with the Rus is certainly a good idea... is Kiev still ruled by its original Norse adventurer rulers?

Reactions:
A Khazars campaign sounds interesting.

I liked the bit about his claimed ancestry - it made the tale seem more authentic.

It's a shame that Azov is no longer free, although I suspect that the Kipchaks will collapse soon, which should allow a revolt.

Good relations with the Rus is certainly a good idea... is Kiev still ruled by its original Norse adventurer rulers?

The Rurikid dynastry is still going strong in 988 AD.
One line rules from Novgorod all the way down to Kiev and the Kosars frequently intermarry into that line while Vladimir is ruled by a Rurikid Queen who just refuses to die and let her Kozar dynasty children rule - I suspect her children and grandkids will all die out through age, disease or wars before she passes on - she is 87 and has just one surviving child at present.

They've just converted to Orthodoxy so unlikely to see many more marriages with them moving forward.

Reactions:
The Legacy of Khan Tarmac

King Tarmac.png

The chronicles written soon after the death of Khan Tarmac did not paint a flattering picture but with the benefit of centuries of hindsight, historians believe he was a good Khan who tried to do right by his people.

By the end of his reign, the Khanate had encompassed most of the traditional Khazar territories including Zapozhiria, Ciscaucasia, and a foothold in the Caspian Steppes. His rule was benign, his vassals were happy and he managed his relationship with the Great Khan well enough that he had a free hand in the west of the massive steppe empire of the Qipchaks.

While Tarmac’s marriage to a Rurikid princess was arranged to suit the needs of the state by his father Otemis, he allowed his only son to marry for love. The future Otemis II fell in love with an adventurer, Khitan, and his father gave his permission for the marriage. Despite his permissiveness with his son, the love was rarely returned and Otemis II upon his ascension commissioned a chronicle that did much to discredit Tarmac of his successes and reminded everyone of the submission to the Qipchak Khanate.

One of the effects of this submission was a great flood of Cuman tribesmen into formerly Khazar lands. The Khazars and Adykhazars found themselves a minority in their own lands surrounded by foreign people worshipping the sky god, Tengri. Khan Tarmac was reticent to take measures against these nomadic invaders to keep the peace with his pagan overlord and the remaining years of his reign saw much regression in terms of civic life and a strong return to pastoralism across the Khanate. Only in Tmuratakan and the southern fiefdoms of Abkhazia, did the Adkhazars maintain their cultural supremacy.

In 944, Khan Tarmac passed away peacefully in his sleep and his son, Otemis II would soon prove to be a much different ruler.

Kingdom of Azov - 942AD.png

Azovian territory circa 942 AD, a few years before the passing of Khan Tarmac

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Tarmac seems like a nice guy - too nice to survive in politics and be remembered fondly. He lacked enough ruthlessness...

I wonder if Otemis II will revolt? And where is Khitan from - western China, where the Khitans lived? ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Tarmac seems like a nice guy - too nice to survive in politics and be remembered fondly. He lacked enough ruthlessness...

I wonder if Otemis II will revolt? And where is Khitan from - western China, where the Khitans lived? ;)

Tarmac was not what I would call nice but he lacked the ego of his father and his son, and practiced what we call "real-politik", as seen in how he defanged his vassal Pechenegs and the Dukes of Alania. His schemes were subtle, almost Byzantine-like but such moves are not hallmarks of fame in the fierce and warlike steppes. It also didn't help that he never ventured onto the battlefield and had his brother fight his battles for him.

It would have been suicide to try to fight off 12,000 screaming Qipchaks and so he saw the only way to survive was submission. Already aware of the threat from the East, he had been developing a friendship with the Khan and after submission, initiated him into the mysteries of Solomonic Wisdom, to strengthen those bonds.

Khitan is actually of Permian origin, from the Northern Urals, a hunter who followed the Volga honey trade down the great river to Tmuratakan. She was 5 years older than Otemis and would prove to be his greatest weakness.

Reactions:
Khan Otemis II
Khan Otemis II the Dreadful

King Otemis II.png

Khan Otemis II is remembered today for both his cruel streak and the domestic strife within his family and court. While his father invested much into the education of his only heir, Otemis' mind was tuned to deviousness and cunning. He ruled through tyranny and an iron hand as he schemed to overthrow his Qipchak overlords.

The Qipchak Terteroba dynasty could only call on a few thousand of their own nation clan and in their great crusade west, had unified the different tribes of Cumans, Pechenegs and Oghuz in the central steppes to serve under them. This proved to be a fatal weakness of the Khanate as once expansion was curtailed by the great Kievan Rus armies of the Rurikids, the need for crusading unity diminished. The steppe nomads fell back into their old ways, raiding herds from neighboring settlements or clashing over claims on their newly acquired territories. Only Azov proved immune to these conflicts, too strong to be challenged by any of their new neighbors and united under a ruler with strong legitimacy, ambition and intelligence. Thus, we can look back at the reign of Tarmac and judge it to be a good and wise one.

Immediately upon his ascension, Khan Otemis II set out to prove his right to rule, launching raids against the Georgians and Byzantines, just like his grandfather did and turning back several Norse adventurers who saw opportunities to establish their fiefdoms in the Black Sea region. With this plunder and prestige, he greatly expanded Kozar horde, which now numbered 1,500 horse and over 6,000 levy foot soldiers.

In the Azovian heartlands, he began a slow campaign of pogroms against the Cumans, first forbidding them access to the best grazing land and barring them from the cities of the Black Sea coast before forcing them to serve as levies for his wars. These measures ensured a slow decline in the prosperity and numbers in the Cuman tribes while keeping the fires of his war machine fed.

Before throwing off the yoke of Qipchak tyranny, he saw an opportunity to aggrandize himself, submitting claims of lordship over the lands of Zapozhiria, Ciscaucasia and the Caspian Steppes. Khan Volan II Terteroba, son of the first great Qipchak Khan, believed his vassal was loyal like his Kozar father, recognized these claims and named him Guardian of the Waters, Khan of the Azov, Volga, Don and Dnieper. With his newly acquired vassals, Khan Otemis’s realm was nearly half the realm of the Desht-i-Qipchak.

Sometime in 950, Volan II died under mysterious circumstances and while no immediate suspicion fell on his spymaster, Otemis II, that soon changed with the Azovian Khan’s next moves. He declared independence, having a messenger read it out in the Terteroba court in far away Simek of the Qipchak heartlands:

“My father made peace with the father of the Qipchak, and I have maintained that covenant with the son but I will not obey a boy who has never seen the sea, who knows nothing of the lands in the West and who does not serve the one true god.”

Azov messenger at the Kipchak.png

Mosaic found in archaeological site of Simek Palace - showing court life during the short lived Desht-i-Qipchak Khanate.

With that, independence was declared and Khan Arkat Terteroba found himself outmanoeuvred and outnumbered as the Otemis’ armies marched on his holdings in Itil and smashing the few remaining tribes loyal to the Qipchaks.

Newly independent with claims to the Kingdoms of Novgorod, Vladimir and the overlordship of all Kievan Rus through his mother, Otemis II desired to live up to the legend of his grandfather.

The raids into Byzantium continued and he accomplished something not even the first Otemis was able to – reaching Constantinople and sacking the City of the World’s Desire and using its treasures to adorn his palace tent, transforming it into the envy of the steppes. Not since the raids of the 9th century Rus has the Romans had to fear such attacks. These raids increased the animosity between Roman Christians and their subject Jews, leading many to seek out asylum in Tmuratakan and the Crimea. Their urban experiences brought new innovations into the Khanate, with developments in city planning, crop rotation and construction leading to the transformation of the Khanate under the rule of his successor.

Otemis was cunning in all aspects except for one – his wife Khitan. She was headstrong, adventurous and clever, and rumours in court whispered that he never made a major decision before consulting her. While she converted to Kuzarite Judaism upon her marriage, she was never devout and she continued her free-spirited ways making her the talk of Tmuratakan. She never lost her love of riding leathers, drinking and flirtations with members of the court, acting as everything but the ideal Jewish wife. Otemis indulged her and if he ever reprimanded her, it must have been in private.

Thus, it was no surprise when rumors began that she had taken another lover, the Duke of Yedisan, Otemis’ cousin. He made no move to stop the cuckoldry though there were reported confrontations between husband and wife where she declared her innocence and he accepted the life. Repeatedly he had his spies trail his wife and to see if any of his children showed any affection to the Duke but he never took action.

Khitan bore him four sons and two daughters. His sons were named Tarmac, Otemis, and the twins Tukhan and Cathac. Tarmac was born white as snow while his three other sons all had the striking red hair of the Rurikids… and the Duke of Yedisan.

It is said that the cruelty of Otemis grew as long and fiery as the hair of his children. He often had prisoners captured in war tortured or sold into slavery and every city he captured, he sacked with appalling violence. All this was not able to salve his heartache and Otemis became gaunt, refusing to take meals even during feasts with his vassals. His only joys were martial displays in Chowgan tournaments and the crushing of enemy armies.

His campaigns in Mordvinia, Kiev and Hungary were legendary both for his ferocity in battle and his dispassion at the execution of captives but his neighbors desired his friendship and aid, knowing that the support of Otemis’ monaspa heavy cavalry and steppe archers could turn any battle.

Thus, the betrayal was felt most strongly when the Fyodor Rurikid, his brother-in-law through marriage to his sister, called for representatives of Kuzarite, Orthodoxy and Sunni Islam to present their case on the superiority of their faiths. It’s said Otemis went white as his father when he heard that Fyodor had chosen the false Christian trinity over the one true god. He resolved then to break the power of the Rus, starting a war for Kiev, the prosperous trading hub on the Dnieper and capital of Kievan Rus. His alliance with the Rurikids was broken and he pledged he would see their empire burn before Orthodoxy could take root. Unfortunately, domestic strife and a life of battle had taken a toll on him and he would not live to see this goal through to the end.

Khan Otemis finally found his faith in his old age, and as he read the ancient stories of the prophets in the Nevi’im, his piety found expression in zealotry, threatening heretics and heathens in his court with conversion or death and the establishment of the first Judaic holy order, the Zealots of Azov.

His primary successor, his second son Otemis the III, would bear the invisible scars of his father’s many traumas. His eldest son, Tarmac, was made Nasi at the urging of the court, who saw too much of Khan Tarmac in the young man and thus removed from the succession. Some say this was done at the advice of Khatun Khitan who favored her three red-headed sons over the albino Tarmac.

Otemis II death.png

Otemis was on campaign in early 988 AD against another Varangian adventurer when he took ill from cold and rain and passed away days later. His proto-empire, built by his grandfather and father was split between Otemis III, Turkhan and Cathaq.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Interlude - the World in 988AD
Interlude – the world in 988AD

Worldmap 988AD.png

Taking this chance to capture the state of the world after more than a century has passed.
We’ll start at the centre (Azov) and work our way outwards:

Russia & the Steppes
Otemis II’s realm was split into 3 upon his death, Otemis III inheriting Azov, Cathaq taking the Caucasus and Mordivinia, and Tukhan inhering the Caspian Steppe.
Russia is split into 3, Novgorod, the primary Rurikid Kingdom of Fyodor, Vladimir under a Rurikid/Kozar dynasty and the rump state of Kyivan Rus in the far North after the two Rus states declared independence.
Permia is a Turumic kingdom often looking for alliances with the Kuzarites of Azov.

Eastern Europe
Hungary and Moldavia are still tribal Taltoist nations formed by the Magyar migrations that are not likely to survive for long as feudal Christian nations around them grow stronger.
Bulgaria imploded after being conquered by Serbian pagans and then swallowed up by Byzantium. Byzantium has had its ups and downs, due to the constant internal conflicts on succession and tyranny – very much just like OT though they’ve managed to claim the rest of the Balkans.
For Epirus, see Southern Europe.

The Levant and Persia
As you can see, the Abbasids imploded, and in that vacuum, there came a Zoroastrian uprising led by the Ziyarids of Daylam who conquered Persia, Mesopotamia and Jazira before running out of steam against the Ghaznavids in the East and the Bardunid Sunni Caliphate of Syria in the West. The Bardunids also have been holding off the Byzantines from expanding eastwards too much, capable of mustering armies as larger or larger than the Romans.
Armenia reclaimed its freedom after the Abbasids and follow their own Armenian Apostolic faith though the land is split into Hayastan and the Armenian Principalities.
Further south in Arabia, Qarmatianism and other Islamic faiths have spread after an incredibly successful slave revolt in the Zanj.

Central Asia
The Ghaznavids came to power about 20 years ago and has seen spectacular success against the Safavids and the other Ash’ari kingdoms of Khorasan, Makran and Transoxiana. They’ve been spreading their own variant of Sunni Islam, Maturidism by sword and book through the region but they’re facing resistance in wars with the mighty Pratihara Empire for control of Punjab and Sindh. Massive wars there, 20k-30k on each side.

Northern Europe
Not much to say here, still very Asatru and pagan. Sweden is ruled by the Af Munso house of Bjorn Ironside alongside another strain of the dynasty in control of Uppland.

Central and Western Europe
Hoo-boy, where to begin…
Bavaria was conquered by Haesteinn initially and he held Lotharangia as well before being overthrown by his Catholic subjects.
A German King Otto of Ludolfinger is on a mission to unity Francia and resurrect the Carolingian ideal of the Holy Roman Empire
I have no idea what happened in France.
Britannia is unified under the Hvitserk dynastry that has just given up their pagan ways and converted to Catholicism.
Not shown here but central Europe is interesting from a religious point of view, a few counties have converted to the Jewish Kuzarite faith or more surprisingly, Islam. Not sure how that happened but the entire area of what would be Poland and Bohemia is a mishmash of faiths including Vidilist and Slovianskan. I guess when your farms are the battlefields of kings, you’ll pray to anyone that will answer.

Southern Europe
Epirus is interesting – it’s a muslim state founded by an Italian revert who claimed both Sicily and Epirus as his domain. Most of Sicily is under Muslim control including Salerno. The Catholic Duke of Spoleto and the Papacy is holding them off from rampaging up the peninsular.
Spain is going pretty much like the historical record but with the collapse of Francia, we might be seeing the Muslims crossing the Pyrenees soon.

North Africa
The Shi’ite Fatimids are in control of Egypt and in constant conflict with the Sunni Caliphate of Syria. The rest of North Africa is a mess of Islamic faiths in constant conflict after the Fatimids abandoned them for the riches of the Nile.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Khan Otemis III the Cannibal
Khan Otemis III the Cannibal

Khan Otemis III.png

The third Otemis to bear the name is a difficult Khan to judge. He was a cruel debaucherous man that practiced Solomonic rituals that the Kohen judged to be verging on blasphemy. Yet he was also the great zealot Khan that forged a khanate of nomads into a kingdom of feudal lords and growing cities, uniting the disparate Adykhazars, Pechenegs, Cumans, Rus and Georgians into a single Azovian nation, and issuing the first coinage of the steppes.

Before we explore his reign, it is important to visit his time as crown prince. He was engaged to the daughter of a Mazdayani lord when his father mistakenly thought that the teachings of Zoroaster bore much resemblance to the teachings of Yahweh. It was a fertile marriage with his wife Mariam bearing him two boys in quick succession though the second, named Otemis, was born with the outward mark of Yetzer Hara, the inclination to do evil, with scaly skin covering much of his forearms and legs.

The Nasi, Tarmac, oldest son of Khan Otemis II proclaimed that “The greater the man, the greater his evil inclination! Imagine the strength he will show on his bar mitzvah!” This may sound odd to our modern ears but traditional Kuzarite beliefs state that the inclination to do good is only ‘born’ when a child reaches 13 and able to control their behaviour. Thus the belief that the greater the evil, the greater the strength to resist.

Unfortunately, we do not have a record of the common people’s reaction or if this Otemis would prove his Nasi right. A few months after, both he and his older brother would meet tragic ends under suspicious circumstances. Most put it down to vendettas against Khan Otemis II but some alternative sources claim it was the Khan who ordered their deaths for desecrating the purity of his holy bloodline. It was said that no worshipers of Zoroaster were ever welcomed back to the court of Tmuratakan after this incident.

This double tragedy impacted Prince Otemis greatly and challenged his faith in the Lord. Why and when he began to consume human flesh is unknown but the secret was unveiled shortly after his crowning as Khan. His vassal and cousin, the Duke of Alania revealed it to the court after witnessing the Khan tasting the brain flesh of a beheaded prisoner. The shock and outrage among his vassal and the vast Beni Kozar clan was strong but the Khan was stronger. He still commanded a horde larger than all his vassals combined and he ensured his council was filled by the few loyalist vassals and courtiers remaining.

His father, Otemis II had left him a large treasury and he used it gratuitously for gifts to soothe the feathers of his ruffled vassals and showed them generosity at his frequent feasts. Of course, the Khan engaged his appetites voraciously at such events though some courtiers whispered that it was better not to know the providence of the sweetmeats at the banquet. A clever wit dubbed him the “the Khan who ate too much”. The annals do not tell the fate of that courtier.

Khan Otemis III knew that the Romans across the sea was the greatest threat to his kingdom and he ensured they were kept down with constant raids and sackings of the cities of Anatolia but he knew he needed to modernize his realm to ward off his threat. He saw the wealth of the Empire, the prosperous cities, well-armed soldiers and the beautifully adorned churches. He took what he could in his raids but there was always more and the Romans always recovered.

The Khan gathered the kohens, scholars and the Radhanite merchants and had them revise the Halakha, the ancient set of laws that regulate Judaic Kuzarite practices and daily life. At the same time, he began a program of cultural assimilation, curbing the Cuman pogroms of his father.

The revised Halakha would expand on traditional ideas and cover trade, taxation and farming, integrating the Roman ideas imported with the Jewish refugees of his father’s reign. Nasi Tarmac, his brother was in charge of this great social engineering project and after 7 years, the new Way was shared with the great lords of Azov and the people of Tmuratakan together with a proclamation that from that day forward, all the people of his realm would be known as Azovians.

It is one thing to proclaim a united people and quite another to make it reality and this is another area where a Khan trained for war showed that logistics and people skills are key to winning any battle. He issued the first Jewish coinage in centuries, encouraged his vassals to adopt the new ways and sponsored many building programs across his realm to show the unity of faith and state to the Azovian state. His warriors, he paid in coin but Khan understood that wealth was cultivated from the ground and he dedicated much of his manpower to farming and the richest part of his domains was soon to be shown to be in Kiev and fertile black soils surrounding it. It was a drastic transformation for a nation of horse nomads and raiders but the Khan had the steel, fortresses and infrastructure to make his war machine march on.

Kozarite coin, circa 12th century.jpg

Azovian coin, the so-called Moses coin dated to the 10th century, from the Spillings Hoard. It bears the inscription in Arabic “There is no God but Allah, and Musa (Moses) is His messenger.” A hypothesis for the odd inscription is that Khan Otemis III wanted to ensure his coins would be traded outside his realm but would not consider Greeks so opted to the next best options.

Next: The Khan in love and war

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
For context: This post was about making the decision to feudalize and the hybridization of Adykhazar culture and Rus to get the tech needed to feudalize. The coin thing was something that the mod Dynamic Trade Routes does, letting you issue coin depending on your need. For his first coin, Otemis III went with standard renown, copying another realm's more famous coin as he desperately needed money to fund the feudalization program.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The Caspian Chronicle

In the late 17th century, a trove of parchments was unearthed at Itil on the Caspian Steppes, written by an Azovian rabbi in the Tarmacic alphabet. It’s the oldest surviving record of the new script of Azov that Khan Otemis had commissioned and it shows the influence of Rus and Greek culture, borrowing many words that the steppes never needed before. Words such as contracts, plantations and guilds can all be traced back to their original Orthodox Slavic sources.

The chronicle is illuminating in describing the tensions that the new Halakha brought about. The ancient families of the East would not accept feudal contracts and stuck to their steppe clan ways while the newer lords of the West imitated their Greek rivals, insisting that the Khan stick to the agreed-upon tributes and stipulated service agreements.

The Caspian Chronicle records the relationships between the three Khans of the Azovian dynasty. While Otemis was content to leave his brothers alone to focus on his wars with Byzantium, Khan Cathaq saw it as weakness and regularly raided the Don Valley and the crownlands of Azov. When Cathaq refused the requests to end such raids, Khan Otemis raised his banners and marched on the Caucasian capital at Serkel, claiming overlordship over Ciscaucasia and exiling his brother to the lands north in Mordvinia, the cold taiga where he was never strong enough to challenge his vassals, especially the Burtasids. As a postscript, the Khanate of Mordvinia came to an end in 1034 AD, and endured for only 50 years.

On the other hand, Khan Tukhan of Caspia forged a resilient alliance with his brother that saw the Caspian Khanate extend its influence to the lands of Bashkiria and Kimek before declining after the Khan’s passing.

Khan Otemis had three daughters born to him by his wife, Mariam, Quna, Guna and Hetsatsa but he lacked the male heir he desperately needed to succeed him. He took every care in the raising of his daughters, especially Quna who was for nearly two decades the designated heir. However, the Khan was also increasingly known for his rakish ways, having affairs with many members of his court in the hope of having the male heir he so desperately desired. None came of these affairs bore any fruit until 998 AD when his wife and Khatun gave birth to a healthy baby boy, named Araslan. By then Khan Otemis was already well into middle age and he gave much thanks to the Lord for finally answering his prayers.

Across the steppe, people and nobles flocked to the Azovian court in Tmuratakan, steppe lords marvelled at the stone palace of the Khan, the Roman riches that adorned it and the sheer size of the city, rumoured to host more people than the largest herd of horses held by any Khan in the steppe. This led to a complex web of alliances and the changed the types of wars the Khan fought. He was not interested in conquest but in his piety, did his best to proselytise across the steppe and the tribal chieftains of Pannonia. This led to the establishment of the Kuzarite Kingdoms of Moldavia, Polabia and the Oghuz Khanate.

In the lands of the Rus, he was content to support one faction or another to weaken the newly Orthodox Rus and in the late 970s claimed all of the Kievan Duchy as his domain, severely crippling the strength of the Rurikids. In 1021, the Rurikid realm of Kievan Rus was no more, a collection of disparate chiefdoms and princedoms made up the lands conquered by the great Norse adventurer, Rurik.

Orestes III Death.png

Tragically, Khan Otemis III would not live to see the completion of his father’s vengeance. In 1018 AD, he pledged to raid Constantinople just like his father had and organized a grand raid of nearly 7,000 men to sweep across Roman lands. As his army reached the walls of Sinope, Khan Otemis was said to have been struck down by the Lord for his impiety, near paralyzed and unable to speak. As his Knez (the newly minted Azovian term for what we call knights) rushed back to the safety of Azovian lands in Abhazia, Khan Otemis fell from his saddle, and was pronounced dead. The Knezs hoped to keep it secret till they could get to Tmuratakn and ensure Araslan could be crowned the Khan of the much-changed Azov but word went ahead of them and many of the Grand Princes and steppe lords began to dream of their own Khanates. Many of them had Kozarian blood and proclaimed the royal line as accursed by the sins of Otemis II and Otemis III, no longer blessed by Yahweh.

Orestes III Dream.png

As a postscript to the reign of Otemis III, his personal writings, found after his death, showed he was well aware of the hypocrisies of his zealotry, and the real reason for his raid into Byzantium was to pay penance by destroying the false Christian faith. These writings record the many dreams he believed were sent by Yahweh to help him overcome his sins.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Khan Araslan
Khan Araslan the Unready

Khan Araslan.png

Khan Araslan grew up without much fatherly supervision, born at the peak of Khan Otemis III’s crusading zeal for the Kuzarite faith. He did not take well to his royal education with many tutors commenting on his laziness and poor discipline. Lacking talent in diplomacy or horsemanship, his shortcomings fuelled the fire of the Azovian Grand Princes who raged at the horrific sins of Araslan’s father. His coronation feast was marked by the lateness of his arrival and the lack of respect shown to his vassals, and his betrothal to the daughter of the Grand Prince of Crimea offended many other Lords who said that no proper bride selection was made and that they were accorded the chance to present their candidates to the Khan.

The court had grown increasingly out of control during the later years of Otemis III. During his frequent absences away on campaign, his daughters, Quna, Guna and Hatratsa became known for their dalliances with handsome Knezs and visitors. Guna and Hatratsa bore many children out of wedlock but Quna was more careful, ensuring that no child of her could be claimed to illegimate after her marriage to Knutr the Dane. Khan Otemis never took steps to punish his daughters, possibly treasuring his remaining children even more after the deaths of his two elder sons and Khan Araslan was content to follow his example.

Khan Araslan drowned amidst the debaucheries of his court and sought a way to legitimise his reign by conquering the holy city of Samarkand in Transoxiana. His initial conquests on the Caspian coast went well but when he tried to remove the Muslim vassals in these newly conquered lands, the Grand Princes used it as the excuse they needed to rebel – proclaiming the Khan had contravened the feudal rights that each of them was merely upholding. The Khanate was ablaze and Araslan’s army was across the sea and far from the Khan sitting in Tmuratakan.

What was left of his army was commanded by Grand Prince Yilig of Yedisan – only Yedisan and Crimea staying loyal to the Khan – made the long march back to the Azovian heartlands. The situation was dire and Khan Araslan did not react well, in the palace in Tmuratakan scoured his ledgers for any unpaid debts to ensure his army was paid and loyal. It was said that one night, he was going through the accounts of Dagestan, there was heard much thrashing of furniture and cursing from the Khan, insulting the incoherency of the Caspi-tongue that the records were written in and general bemoaning of his fate. His servitors exclaimed they heard the Khan gibbering and muttering to himself by the time the sun rose but none dared to venture inside.

When the Khan finally came out for his morning repast, his hair had gone white and he refused to speak to anyone. His decision-making grew increasingly erratic and loyalist increasingly took charge of the war effort without involving him. Four weeks later, the Khan collapsed in the middle of a court session and was pronounced dead of a heart attack.

Khan Araslan Death.png

Thus ended the reign of Khan Araslan, aged 24. He had ruled unwisely for five years and his sister, Khanum Quna was elevated to her birthright after a wait of nearly 4 decades and immediately thrust into multiple wars - against the rebel steppe lords, raids across the Khanate and a Norse horde attempting to claim the Crimea for their own.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Araslan hit the 3rd strees level after he attempted to retain knowledge of the Caspi language. He became a lunatic from it and I thought it was over with as he had dropped down to the 2nd stress level but then he keeled over dead shortly after.

Was not planning for it and I learned today that it really sucks to be lazy and impatient when it comes to language. Ah well, Clausewitz engine creating chaos for drama's sake.

Reactions:
Otemis II and III had interesting reigns. They were great conquerors...

Byzantium is doing surprisingly well.

Orthodox Islam seems to be on the decline.

Araslan had to face many challenges, and he wasn't upon to the task. Let's hope that Quna does better...

Reactions:
@HistoryDude
Orthodox Sunni Islam will continue its decline over the next few decades. Italy is the most interesting and the Italians really seem fervent about their belief in Allah through the lens of Hellenic thought, with their school of Mu'tazilism Islam. I'll recap them when I do my world review in a century or so but it's proved to even be effective in converting would be Christian liberators - really sounds like a great story and AAR of its own.

Byzantium is a beast, shortly after that world recap, it captured all the Mesopotamian territories of their ancient but fallen Sassanid rival, having an empire that stretched from the Adriatic to the Persian gulf. But the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh, and I was glad they were unable to hold on to those territories.

In Azov, Quna is going to have to prove that she is stronger than any Khan before has had to in the heavily patriarchal Jewish and steppe culture kingdom she rules. But will she break before she bending to the pressures?

Reactions:
Khanum Quna
Khanum Quna the Wolf of the Steppes

Khanum Quna.png

Would Quna’s reign have been so glorious if she had been born a man? Would she fail in dealing with the troubles that destroyed her brother Araslan? It is difficult to say but the Khanum would create her own legend and forever destroy the Judaic stereotype of women being unfit to rule.

A note on titles, all previous wives of the Khans had been called Khatun, reflecting their lesser status in the marriage but Quna insisted she was a Khan, not a mere Khatun and the new title of Khanum was created to placate both her and the more conservative kohens and rabbis in their temples. In the modern Kazakh tongue of Central Asia, Khatun is a derogatory term for women while Khanum has a more respectful meaning – the legacy of Quna lives on to this day.

Khanum Quna took control of matters immediately in the royal capital of Tmuratakan, She dispatched her trusted general, Grand Prince Yilig of Yedisan to level the cities of Transcaspia before crossing the Caspian to march on the strongest of the rebels, the Grand Prince of Ciscaucasia, fortified in the mountain stronghold of Derbent. The siege took nearly a year and she had her remaining forces concentrate themselves in Tmuratakan, well aware that without the capital, the rebel lords would never be able to claim victory. Azov burned as the Grand Princes sought their independence from the Khanate. It was two years before the war ended – Yilig had captured one of the lords of Transcaspia and Quna ordered his public execution and his body displayed in a gibbet off the cliffsides of Tmuratakan. Such brutality and the fact that the rebels had not accomplished any significant victories made the rebels seek a way out of the quagmire, sending an emissary to Tmuratakan to declare the war invalid with the death of the Muslims they were fighting for. It stank of high hypocrisy but Quna was cornered into accepting it, else be claimed the tyrant her father had been.

Khanum Quna was cleverer than her vassals thought though. She was well versed in the Azovian Halakha – indeed she had drafted portions of it during the great work of Tarmac – and she knew just how to wield it. Highlighting the requirement of righteousness in the Lord in rulership, she declared the rebel Norse Prince of Voronezh, Knutr, as a non-believer and a breaker of the sabbath. With this thin veneer of justification, approved by the rabbis, she stripped him of his titles and lands. Knutr revolted but he stood alone as the other Grand Princes would not countenance going against their own rabbis or have their own sins scrutinized. The revolt was crushed in short order and Knutr reduced to a mere lord of a single country and placed under the rule of the Lord of the Don Valley. His former domain of Voronezh was gifted to a scion of the Kozar family.

The Khanum was eager to prove her greatness, having been in the shadows till her middle age, together with her Khagan (or warleader), Yilig, she consolidated the titles of her grandfather, after crushing the remnants of the Caspian Khanate after inheritance laws and border warfare with the Kimeks and Oghuz had severely weakened it. Only Mordvinia was out of her grasp as those lands were held by the rising power of an independent and Kuzarite Vladimir and her kohens would not countenance a war within their own faith.

She started work on her greatest achievement soon after the end of the rebellion. Realizing Tmuratakan was vulnerable to invasion by sea and rebellion by the lords around it, she chose the site of Kiev as her new capital, forcing the native Rus farmers of the surrounding lands to begin construction of a new palace while migrating thousands of coastal Azovians to the small settlement by the banks of the Dnipro to take over the empty farmsteads. Within a single generation, Kiev was transformed from a sleepy backwater of Azov to the heart of Azovian culture and power, mortared with Russian blood. Those who could escape fled northwards to the Orthodox Rus lands in Novgorod and Minsk. The baroque-era Kozarskayii palace is purported to have re-used the stone blocks from Quna’s ancient residence and it is claimed you can hear Rus ghosts still toiling away on quiet nights.

Kozarskayii Palace, circa 1890AD.jpg

The later day Kozarskayii palace built on the original site of Quna's palace. Photo, circa 1911AD

While talented in warfare, Khanum Quna entrusted the dependable Khagan Yilig to lead her armies, North and West while she consolidated the structures of state that a tribal steppe kingdom had never known or needed. These wars saw her consolidate her rule over what we call Ruthenia. These wars became known as the Orthodox Jihad – a misnomer to our modern ears but the Christians of Europe drew a relation between the Turkic Jewish horsemen of the steppe and the Islamic invasions of the past 400 years and saw little difference. This Jihad or Herem Wars (In Azovian Tarmacic, wars of destruction) would continue for another two centuries, waxing and waning, depending on the temperament of the Azovian throne of the time.

The Khagan was also purported to be her lover but the scandal was limited as they were discrete and she bore no progeny during the period of the relationship, being past her childbearing years.

Against the Orthodox Romans of Byzantium, she earned her epithet of the Wolf, first capturing Constanta to control all entry into the Danube river and then in 1053AD, Yilig captured the Anatolian side of the Bosphurus, holding all of Bithynia and erecting the great fortress of Anadolukel on the narrowest portion of the strait. The Wolf of the Steppes understood the importance of trade and goods in ways no previous Khan had and her wars always had a strategic goal, not just conquests of glory. Without complete control of the Bosphorus and the Danube, the Romans were forced to negotiate trade agreements and access to the Mediterranean to the Azovians in return for guarantees of safety for their own merchant fleets and supply ships. In many ways, this was when Azov announced itself to the medieval Christian world. Azovian merchants would be frequent sights in ports from Alexandria to Barcelona for the next few decades.

Seated in Tmuratakan, Quna focused on the stewardship of her realm, revising the original Halakha of her father’s time, this new Pravda Azozkaya would focus on the temporal laws of the state establishing new inheritance laws, enforcing order in the growing cities of the realm and expanded in even greater details the rights and obligations of the vassal system. In just 60 years, Azovian culture had been ripped from its tribal moorings and firmly a sail on the powerful river of feudalism. She would not live to see the completion of the Pravda Azozkskaya - the equivalent of the Corpus Juris Civilis of the Romans would finally be published during by her granddaughter.

Pravda Rusiskaya cropped.png

Within Azov, the prestige of Quna waxed and the formerly rebellious Princes of her brother’s reign gave way to a new generation that knew only the glories of her reign and acclaimed her the Khan of Khans. Her vassals controlled the lands of Ruthenia, Zapozhiria, Azov, Caucasia and the Caspian Steppes and she was lord of the grass sea and the black sea. In 1063AD, Quna commissioned a new crown and declared herself Tsaritsa of mighty Azov as she officially moved the now imperial capital formally to Kiev.

Quna Estonian war.png

In the final years of her reign, she was to suffer one of her few defeats and the most humiliating one of her life. Her beloved Khagan had passed away recently and the new generation of Knezs had grown complacent in the power of Azovian cavalry. In what should have been a ‘routine’ Heremic campaign against Minsk, the new Knezi were unprepared for the ferocity of the Christians, with Minsk receiving aid from the new Kingdom of Estonia. The armies of King Wezrej Kabar encircled the horse archers of Azov in the forests of Kozestan, nullifying the advantage of the steppe warriors. In the darkness of the forest, Azovian morale broke and the men panicked, routing. It was not the last of the defeats as King Wezrej pressed his advantage, sacking the new Azovian settlements around Kiev. The war reached its lowest moment with the sacking of her new capital Kiev, with many of the Tsaritsa’s family taken hostage by the Christian king. The Tsaritsa was forced to take the field, well into her 70s and rebuild the shattered Azovian morale. She adopted a new strategy – guerrilla warfare and eliminating the weaker allies of Minsk from the war effort while she called for reinforcements from the steppes and Abkhazia to replace her shattered host. The war of attrition was in Azov’s favour who could call upon much larger reserves of manpower and coin, and finally, after 4 years, she captured Turov and received the Christian’s surrender. In the aftermath of the war, she was forced to pay a queen’s ransom for the return of her household. Some of her bloodline was left to stew in the dungeon of Estonia for a long time, the Tsaritsa refusing to pay for their release, stating that she recognized no kinship with such monstrosities. These were her grandchildren born of incest, as the wild ways of the Azovian court continued. We will visit the happenings of court during the reign of L’if her oldest son and sole heir but this was a blight on the moral character of the Tsaritsa.

Tsaritsa Quna Death.png

The Tsaritsa was finally cast into Sheol in 1067AD. She had lived half her life awaiting her chance at greatness and the other half achieving that greatness. Aged 84, in her own bed, surrounded by her children, she said her final prayers and asked for forgiveness from Yahweh. Tsaritsa Quna was not a figure to inspire affection but in her achievements, she had achieved the eternal worship and gratitude of a fledging empire.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions: