• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nuclear Elvis

Major
90 Badges
Sep 25, 2019
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
This may be more suggestive to a future EU5, than a hoped-for change in EU4, but it also speaks toward logic breakdown and equity for AI vs Player interaction in a Normal/Iron Man game (I can't speak for "Very Easy" or other difficulties as I only play this mode).

When a Rebellion spawns in a player province, there are distinct differences that seem illogical and far too much in favor of the AI:
- Full Morale upon spawning in, as if the entire group were on smartphones in the 16th Century and sending constant messages about how they'd gather in a couple weeks time and be totally organized, yeah right. Consider, any "Regular" military unit that is bought and sourced from normal channels, you know, the actual people who either volunteer or were volunteered to enter the Army, those people cannot possibly be as well organized and they start at half or less morale, right? So why are Rebellions starting at full Morale when the Morale factor also has to do with the process of gathering people together to fight as a unit. Anyone here ever tried to put together 1,000 or more people in a rapid, rag-tag unit and suddenly get them ready for War? Yeah, it doesn't happen overnight, and certainly not on the same day they're organized. And that's what's a Party Foul here in the illogical Rebellion spawns, they're full Morale from the Instant On status on Day 1.
- Technology. This is one I have to shake my head at. So, an organized Government has their best scientists and "engineers" of the day, constantly mulling over how to make better gear for their Armies, better weapons, even better shoes/boots. It's a full time thing for a warring nation, to perform the Research & Development to put the best war kit/gear on their troops. But, a Rebellion spawns in always at the same or better technology level as a years/decades-long "Regular Army" unit? C'mon Man, let's put some logic into this thing. Who designed this system of Instant On high tech for non-regular Rebellion forces? I recently had a Rebellion spawn that had greater than 1 point variance in their Morale top-end stat, a full point! And if you play EU4 enough, you know that a full point of Morale difference is a big deal, especially if you're going in at otherwise even odds, but then I hover the cursor over their excessively high morale number and see, that it is because of "Technology" that it is so much higher. What? You mean these guys that aren't full-time defending the nation, and committing taxes to research and maintain the kit - you mean these people who just do other-than-military stuff are spending all their extra time performing Research & Development in their secret chambers in the 16th Century? Hmm, I smell the stench of illogical Game Design here. In the military there are "Regular" and "Irregular" forces, in simple terms. The Irregulars are NEVER outfitted with better gear, never, ever, ever. The only way that happens is if they're in cahoots with some foreign Army who illegally or covertly supplies them with weapons (such as CIA giving Mujahideen the Stinger missiles in Afghanistan to fight Russians). But that's a rarity, and a very niche event. However, in force-on-force engagements, where those same Mujahideen must fight a Russian tank - that tank is winning. Tech advantages only go so far, in a very niche area, when foreign tech does enter the mix. But in general? Irregulars are still lesser than Regular forces, period.
- Leader/Commander stats out of line with Regular vs Irregular forces. If your day job is some menial 16th century task, even if it's the boss man himself, that work is what you do, it's your Day Job. That doesn't mean you can suddenly take charge of 1000 or more troops and lead them to glory. Sure, there are the rare instances of the "commoner" who becomes hero, such as Joan of Arc, but leadership on a battlefield with Armies is just as much tested and trained, more so than a sudden thing that makes one near-invincible on the battlefield. I recently saw a Commander of a Rebellion - had stats that were lottery odds, I guess, because I hadn't earned that high of a Commander in 200 virtual years of progressing my nation (and I had well over 40 Army tradition almost always, once rolling along). Having a Rebellion spawn in with General Patton coming out of the closet - just isn't realistic. We need to see the "irregular" versions of Commanders also, when these irregular Rebellions spawn into the game. And last I checked - people do actually want to live, they aren't just itching for a fight to get themselves slaughtered, so the "geniuses" that may make good Commanders, aren't exactly lining up to get themselves killed (a genius wants to live). Logically, there should be a top-end for irregular Commander stats, and a top-end for Regular Army Commander stats. They shouldn't be peers, nor present themselves that way in the game.
- Large weapons/Ammunition. Here's where EU4 bridges toward fantasy, and I mean no-kidding Fantasy Land gaming. Rebellions wouldn't have the large-weapons and enormous stocks of resources/ammunition to field those weapons and operate them continuously in a war. This is one of the clear dividing lines between "Regular" and "Irregular" forces throughout history. Only Regular forces maintain big guns, and compile the logistics necessary to field those weapons and sustain their firing in a major war. In EU4, a Rebellion on day 1 has same or better Cannons on the line, as the Regular Army of a nation with 100+ years of procuring/testing and fielding Cannons. Really? I could see a past-generation Cannon (and maybe 1 at best), and perhaps about 2-3 volleys of ammunition, but to gain Cannons and all the surrounding resources (powder bags, iron balls/shot, etc. etc) - it's insane to think that an Irregular force that was worried about picking up horse dung the day before, is now well-prepared to go toe-to-toe with a Regular Army and have infinite Ammunition and Powder to keep them all firing.

Someone at Paradox really needs to get more serious about all of the Offensive and Defensive gameplay in the EU4 series, and especially the lack of specificity for Regular vs Irregular forces (Victoria game series did this much better!). For far too long, the combat metrics and the way it plays out and the stats presented to the player - have far too many flaws in logic and errors in judgement (Zone of Control forcefields, Shattered Retreat across Continents, and the never-ending high-tech Rebellions). This is partly the danger of putting so much information out there! Paradox prides itself in statistical details, but what about when those details reveal that the Emperor has No Clothes? Frankly, I think the Combat System in the EU series is in dire need of a major overhaul. EU5 should actually start from a completely new/fresh starting point - don't even use EU4's combat system as a baseline, just start anew. That in itself, is probably the best advice that I could give to Paradox in this matter, that there are so many issues with this EU4 combat system, that you need to not just go back to the drawing board - but you need to throw the drawing board out. For all the gloss and shine and stats of EU4, we have a Yugo of a combat system.

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Rebels not existing at all except when they’re spawning in as disconnected, un-concerted armies is the bigger flaw, in my view. They can mess around with the specifics of combat against rebels all they want, as long as “an army to fight” is the default and effectively only expression of rebels in your realm EU will be doing a bad job of representing them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Respectfully, most of what you say makes logical sense, but doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective. Your proposed changes would trivialize rebels even further, which are already really only an actual issue for very small nations. Unless you're playing a bleeding edge WC speedrun attempt and spend the majority of the game at 100%+ OE, rebels mostly tax your real life time and sanity, more than your in-game resources.

• 15Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
The big thing you are forgetting imo, is that usually not "the people" revolt, but the upper class in most cases. And the upper class can have access to arms, can have military training, can have access professional armies,... For various reaons people joined these uprisings, if for more, or because they were already a soldier,... An easy to understand example is George Washington in the American Indep. War: wealthy, had political power, had a military career. So it does make sense for most rebel types to have skillful commanders with up-to-date weapons and a somewhat organized army.

On topic of munitions: this is not simulated in game, so you would first need to simulate that before doing something to rebels. I mean, surely rebels in England will have better acccess to muskets/cannon/munition than some random african country or horde. Another point is that rebels tend, for a reason I don’t know, to become weaker with each tech, which actually could make some sense as cheap weapons like pikes and pitchforks get less effective so munition becomes more important. So actually, imo, they already accidently simulate your issue on munitions.

On topic of morale: is’t it logical to start at high morale if you revolt? If you have finally done the big step to accomplish your dreams, then surely you will be excited? Some rebel types have morale nerfs, looking at the peasants, so I don’t really understand why they would need further nerfs, as you are clearly criticizing this rebel type the most.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Respectfully, most of what you say makes logical sense, but doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective. Your proposed changes would trivialize rebels even further, which are already really only an actual issue for very small nations. Unless you're playing a bleeding edge WC speedrun attempt and spend the majority of the game at 100%+ OE, rebels mostly tax your real life time and sanity, more than your in-game resources.
Totally agree with Zaddy here. If they were to make them more disorganized and worse tech, they should balance it out with rebels being able to command far more troops in sheer number due to the mobilization of the populace,l so you needed to break them, or they should affect your economy in a major way to make the rebellion make its cost known. Not sure how to do that without introducing pops tho, so as the OP pointed out, so this is more of something the devs should think about for eu5

Reactions:
Here's a round-out as a reply to the comment thus far:
Up front, I tend to play Underdog/smaller nations to compete with the known/expected powers. In recent play, I was competing with Ethiopia as a smaller Coptic Christian nation (Kaffa), with my roleplay to remain Coptic Christian for the entire game and avoid conversion thru Enlightenment and Sunni incursion etc. These attempts in the game really show the imbalancing effects that Rebellions bring into the game, because the small nation you start with - it is inherently always in an "Existential Crisis" to avoid being taken over by the regional Hegemon (in this case - Ethiopia and/or Yemen and/or Mamluks).

- I have seen Rebellions spawn from what appears scripted events. Doom events, and these are tied to the "In year 15XX, (insert small nation name) experienced famine and disaster never seen before..." - or such, and then a Noble and Peasant rebellion pops up, both of which are higher troop count than current Regular Army even with ZERO Manpower, both of which have equal or better Tech/cannons etc. (which means - the nation's military "surplus" of personnel is exhausted, so the theory that Nobles would have their own troops doesn't wash). These scripted events can insta-capture a Fort, such as the Noble army did, they didn't just spawn in the Province, they popped into the game as if they already controlled the Fort and an adjacent province (again, unrealistic because of going situation where zero manpower was left in the nation - if they had troops to spare for the war, they would be accounted for previously). This handing-over of a level 2 Fort to the Nobles didn't set well with me because of the Role-Play/situation it was involved in - competitor nation to Ethiopia among the small Coptic Christian nations (Jaffa) and we already had a war against Ethiopia just prior, and came away with a White Peace (should be celebratory that the nation still exists!), so there's a "Existential Threat" for Kaffa to even exist, and the Nobles and Peasants revolting in a scripted event is like the Dev's force-inserting a "Game Over, Ethiopia Wins" instead of letting the Player have more logical control of their nation. Fighting this off required all available troops in the bank AND mercenaries. And then...

- Just after quelling the rebellion mentioned above (giving in immediately to Nobles because they were the largest/too much to fight, and then fighting Peasants only), and finally getting the small nation back on track, then this other scripted event comes into play where a Pretender Rebellion at 50% larger Army than the nation's Regular Army, has mustered forces to take over the nation, and if he wins, the nation will be converted to Sunni Islam. This is where I had to throw my hands up at the "BS" meter that was rising quickly on these scripted Rebellion scenarios. The nation was >75% Coptic Christian and working to convert the remaining Provinces (bear in mind, I'm around 40 Provinces strong at this point, but zero Overextension and <10% expansion aggression in eyes of most all external nations). So, I have to expend yet more for Mercenaries to eek out a small victory as this Conversion Rebellion is creeping along. The Truce with Ethiopia expires as all this is playing out, and upon winning against these back-to-back Rebellion events, Ethiopia declares war and it will be Game Over, Ethiopia wins (because it appears as if "on rails" that Ethiopia must be forcibly the Hegemon and scripted events must occur to make it so).

So, there's a bit more detail as to "Why" this Rebellion system presenting itself in its Numbers/Mass, Tech Quality, Leadership dominance, etc - is way out of whack for a tiny nation that is fighting for its very existence. As Kaffa, I took on a coalition of Mogadishu, Yemen, and Ethiopia - with White Peace from both Yemen and Ethiopia before crushing Mogadishu to get brought into Jaffa, with my 40-province nation, just prior to these Rebellion events, so it appeared as if a Throttling action designed into the game, which also doesn't sit well with me. Did Ethiopia's AI receive this same treatment? I never saw such Rebellions in Ethiopia, only 1x Rebellion for that time frame that seemed small and was crushed quickly on their part. Not sure if they're a "Lucky Nation" but there's a clear difference between the balance of Rebellions for upstart nations vs starting Hegemons.

Separate/related are the issues with "who's really on Defense" for when there's a Fort, that's another thing that's a bit silly, that PDX's Victoria series does better, because there's a "dig in" based on days in defensive, plus a war-party wouldn't really be in Defense if it's focused on sieging so an EU5 design should improve upon the current Offense vs Defense settings and capabilities compared to EU4, and give a nod to Victoria and how it's done there (although even that can be improved upon). Here's a big issue (my opinion) of "Defense" while movement is taking place - it's a "Party Foul" for the Game Design to give Defensive advantage when that force is moving. All defensive advantages should be wiped out if the force is moving. In fact, one could argue that a moving force should get a penalty (could be RNG, for a flanking attack against the moving force to be more vulnerable, with guaranteed penalties should the Moving force be attacked from more than one Province/angle by 2 different armies). The moving vs "dug-in" Army perspective isn't in EU series, and this is separate but related to my overall disappointment with the Combat System we have here in EU. Something needs to change, a big overhaul, in EU5. Now, to be clear, I don't want to get into the business of micromanaging each battle, it still should be "Strategic" level viewpoint where you set the conditions, build Armies and name Commanders but they AI/RNG it out, but the underlying game mechanics/coding really needs to step up to modern gaming to run way more factoring than what we have now. Traditionally, peer/peer forces require a 3:1 ratio to be successful in Offense against a stationary "dug-in" Defense. So, that means you need 3xs the combat power and/or manning to take down that Defense. Same thing for Defense, you want better than your 1:3 on the Defensive, so 2:3 or 3:3 or better in terms of combat power/tech and/or manning to satisfy a successful defense (and Dug-In should be a thing, with more/less dug-in status). Moving while defending - should bring that down to 1:1 or even worse, depending on RNG odds or other factors that grant initial start/flanking for the Offensive unit against the so-called "Defensive" moving force (which isn't defending with any advantages, in the real world).

Just a collection of thoughts because - this isn't about overhauling EU4, it's about where the game should go in the next version. I do think that what I've stumbled on - really calls into question the viability of playing other-than-Hegemon nations in EU4, unless you do ratchet down the settings to "Very Easy" and go from there. Sure, there's niche situations where one may possibly win, perhaps with Custom nation/starting point areas, but I admit that I'm trying to find ways to play the Underdog (even if Hawaii to start) and expand the kingdom from almost nothing, to something, and this Rebellion system flies in the face of the risks of Existential Threats to those tiny nations.

I would caveat that Coptic Christian itself is broken. The fact that so few nations have it, yet the bonuses derived are only from owning/controlling up to 5x key Provinces spread out, in areas dominated by other religion/empires, makes it a severe uphill climb to get any real benefits from being Coptic. For that matter, you'd think Ethiopia and all other Coptic nations would be VERY restrictive in forming Alliances with Sunni and other religions. For example, Ethiopia allied with 2 other Muslim/Sunni nations to eliminate 2 Coptic nations from the map -- totally unrealistic. There should be this overarching "Protect the Coptic Faith" aspect to the EU series, and that could go for other religions also. Alliances seem flippant compared to restrictions for Royal Weddings. So, I can't marry a Sunni as a Coptic, but I can Ally with them and destroy all my Coptic neighbors? Yeah, that's dumb, illogical.

Last edited:
Reactions:
This may be more suggestive to a future EU5, than a hoped-for change in EU4, but it also speaks toward logic breakdown and equity for AI vs Player interaction in a Normal/Iron Man game (I can't speak for "Very Easy" or other difficulties as I only play this mode).

When a Rebellion spawns in a player province, there are distinct differences that seem illogical and far too much in favor of the AI:
- Full Morale upon spawning in, as if the entire group were on smartphones in the 16th Century and sending constant messages about how they'd gather in a couple weeks time and be totally organized, yeah right. Consider, any "Regular" military unit that is bought and sourced from normal channels, you know, the actual people who either volunteer or were volunteered to enter the Army, those people cannot possibly be as well organized and they start at half or less morale, right? So why are Rebellions starting at full Morale when the Morale factor also has to do with the process of gathering people together to fight as a unit. Anyone here ever tried to put together 1,000 or more people in a rapid, rag-tag unit and suddenly get them ready for War? Yeah, it doesn't happen overnight, and certainly not on the same day they're organized. And that's what's a Party Foul here in the illogical Rebellion spawns, they're full Morale from the Instant On status on Day 1.
- Technology. This is one I have to shake my head at. So, an organized Government has their best scientists and "engineers" of the day, constantly mulling over how to make better gear for their Armies, better weapons, even better shoes/boots. It's a full time thing for a warring nation, to perform the Research & Development to put the best war kit/gear on their troops. But, a Rebellion spawns in always at the same or better technology level as a years/decades-long "Regular Army" unit? C'mon Man, let's put some logic into this thing. Who designed this system of Instant On high tech for non-regular Rebellion forces? I recently had a Rebellion spawn that had greater than 1 point variance in their Morale top-end stat, a full point! And if you play EU4 enough, you know that a full point of Morale difference is a big deal, especially if you're going in at otherwise even odds, but then I hover the cursor over their excessively high morale number and see, that it is because of "Technology" that it is so much higher. What? You mean these guys that aren't full-time defending the nation, and committing taxes to research and maintain the kit - you mean these people who just do other-than-military stuff are spending all their extra time performing Research & Development in their secret chambers in the 16th Century? Hmm, I smell the stench of illogical Game Design here. In the military there are "Regular" and "Irregular" forces, in simple terms. The Irregulars are NEVER outfitted with better gear, never, ever, ever. The only way that happens is if they're in cahoots with some foreign Army who illegally or covertly supplies them with weapons (such as CIA giving Mujahideen the Stinger missiles in Afghanistan to fight Russians). But that's a rarity, and a very niche event. However, in force-on-force engagements, where those same Mujahideen must fight a Russian tank - that tank is winning. Tech advantages only go so far, in a very niche area, when foreign tech does enter the mix. But in general? Irregulars are still lesser than Regular forces, period.
- Leader/Commander stats out of line with Regular vs Irregular forces. If your day job is some menial 16th century task, even if it's the boss man himself, that work is what you do, it's your Day Job. That doesn't mean you can suddenly take charge of 1000 or more troops and lead them to glory. Sure, there are the rare instances of the "commoner" who becomes hero, such as Joan of Arc, but leadership on a battlefield with Armies is just as much tested and trained, more so than a sudden thing that makes one near-invincible on the battlefield. I recently saw a Commander of a Rebellion - had stats that were lottery odds, I guess, because I hadn't earned that high of a Commander in 200 virtual years of progressing my nation (and I had well over 40 Army tradition almost always, once rolling along). Having a Rebellion spawn in with General Patton coming out of the closet - just isn't realistic. We need to see the "irregular" versions of Commanders also, when these irregular Rebellions spawn into the game. And last I checked - people do actually want to live, they aren't just itching for a fight to get themselves slaughtered, so the "geniuses" that may make good Commanders, aren't exactly lining up to get themselves killed (a genius wants to live). Logically, there should be a top-end for irregular Commander stats, and a top-end for Regular Army Commander stats. They shouldn't be peers, nor present themselves that way in the game.
- Large weapons/Ammunition. Here's where EU4 bridges toward fantasy, and I mean no-kidding Fantasy Land gaming. Rebellions wouldn't have the large-weapons and enormous stocks of resources/ammunition to field those weapons and operate them continuously in a war. This is one of the clear dividing lines between "Regular" and "Irregular" forces throughout history. Only Regular forces maintain big guns, and compile the logistics necessary to field those weapons and sustain their firing in a major war. In EU4, a Rebellion on day 1 has same or better Cannons on the line, as the Regular Army of a nation with 100+ years of procuring/testing and fielding Cannons. Really? I could see a past-generation Cannon (and maybe 1 at best), and perhaps about 2-3 volleys of ammunition, but to gain Cannons and all the surrounding resources (powder bags, iron balls/shot, etc. etc) - it's insane to think that an Irregular force that was worried about picking up horse dung the day before, is now well-prepared to go toe-to-toe with a Regular Army and have infinite Ammunition and Powder to keep them all firing.

Someone at Paradox really needs to get more serious about all of the Offensive and Defensive gameplay in the EU4 series, and especially the lack of specificity for Regular vs Irregular forces (Victoria game series did this much better!). For far too long, the combat metrics and the way it plays out and the stats presented to the player - have far too many flaws in logic and errors in judgement (Zone of Control forcefields, Shattered Retreat across Continents, and the never-ending high-tech Rebellions). This is partly the danger of putting so much information out there! Paradox prides itself in statistical details, but what about when those details reveal that the Emperor has No Clothes? Frankly, I think the Combat System in the EU series is in dire need of a major overhaul. EU5 should actually start from a completely new/fresh starting point - don't even use EU4's combat system as a baseline, just start anew. That in itself, is probably the best advice that I could give to Paradox in this matter, that there are so many issues with this EU4 combat system, that you need to not just go back to the drawing board - but you need to throw the drawing board out. For all the gloss and shine and stats of EU4, we have a Yugo of a combat system.

Are you going to write a equally long complaint about how its ahistorical for rulers to control armies and how there should be more unavoidable disasters that ruin your game like in real life?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Are you going to write a equally long complaint about how its ahistorical for rulers to control armies and how there should be more unavoidable disasters that ruin your game like in real life?
It is actually historical and accurate to depict most nations/kingdoms of this era, of having Rulers that were in control of their military/Armies. We should not put a 21st Century lens on our perspectives of these old nations. Look no further than Clausewitz who wrote one of the more complete Military Theories in "On War" - but give it context. Clausewitz' wife was the Governess of the Prince of Prussia, who was expected to become King in the future. When Clausewitz is writing "On War" (that he never sees published because he dies before it is final edited), that work from Clausewitz was primarily intended for the Prince - who was expected to be both Political AND Military leader of Prussia. Which gives even more context to what Clausewitz meant when he writes a statement such as, "War is Politics by other means" -- because the Prince was in himself, in one single human body, the center of Political Power and Military Power, and could wield it as such. In modern times, military theorists and strategists stumble over themselves because they try to copy/paste Clausewitz into 21st Century political/military environments, and it doesn't work as well, primarily because modern governments and militaries around the world, trend toward Congressional and Parliamentarian systems that have firewalled Political and Military power, and certainly given rise to the Political VS Military class/leadership. It is now more rare to have the Political and Military power consolidated into one Person and/or body of people. So, it's not "ahistorical" -- it's just the opposite, it's actually quite historical to represent old nations/kingdoms with more singular Political/Military power granted to an individual (or to an individual body of people).

Reactions:
It is actually historical and accurate to depict most nations/kingdoms of this era, of having Rulers that were in control of their military/Armies. We should not put a 21st Century lens on our perspectives of these old nations. Look no further than Clausewitz who wrote one of the more complete Military Theories in "On War" - but give it context. Clausewitz' wife was the Governess of the Prince of Prussia, who was expected to become King in the future. When Clausewitz is writing "On War" (that he never sees published because he dies before it is final edited), that work from Clausewitz was primarily intended for the Prince - who was expected to be both Political AND Military leader of Prussia. Which gives even more context to what Clausewitz meant when he writes a statement such as, "War is Politics by other means" -- because the Prince was in himself, in one single human body, the center of Political Power and Military Power, and could wield it as such. In modern times, military theorists and strategists stumble over themselves because they try to copy/paste Clausewitz into 21st Century political/military environments, and it doesn't work as well, primarily because modern governments and militaries around the world, trend toward Congressional and Parliamentarian systems that have firewalled Political and Military power, and certainly given rise to the Political VS Military class/leadership. It is now more rare to have the Political and Military power consolidated into one Person and/or body of people. So, it's not "ahistorical" -- it's just the opposite, it's actually quite historical to represent old nations/kingdoms with more singular Political/Military power granted to an individual (or to an individual body of people).
Realy? The king of Prussia's wife would notice her army is walking into a Egyptian province with rebels and she would tell her army to go to the next province over?

Reactions:
Realy? The king of Prussia's wife would notice her army is walking into a Egyptian province with rebels and she would tell her army to go to the next province over?
I don't think you understood the Prussian context, as the "king's wife" is not at all in my Analogy. Clausewitz' wife was not the King's wife, as Clausewitz was not King - he was like the equivalent of a "National Security Advisor" of his day, with his wife being in a position that helped elevate/maintain his own status as advisor and writer. The Prince, a future to-be King as of Clausewitz' time, would most certainly be expected to be in all of the nation's wars, in their battles. That's how it was for many kingdoms of the time - your "senior General" on the field was also your King. Thus, my point that for many kingdoms of the world in the era presented in EU4, it actually is representative (and historical) to portray leaders on the field of battle. In fact, one could argue that instead of being "Optional" to click a button to make the leader into a General - it should be automatic, already inherently selected as each new King/leader takes charge of the nation/kingdom, of that era, that a leader's military stats are already up front in your face when they become King.

The big thing you are forgetting imo, is that usually not "the people" revolt, but the upper class in most cases. And the upper class can have access to arms, can have military training, can have access professional armies,... For various reaons people joined these uprisings, if for more, or because they were already a soldier,... An easy to understand example is George Washington in the American Indep. War: wealthy, had political power, had a military career. So it does make sense for most rebel types to have skillful commanders with up-to-date weapons and a somewhat organized army.

On topic of munitions: this is not simulated in game, so you would first need to simulate that before doing something to rebels. I mean, surely rebels in England will have better acccess to muskets/cannon/munition than some random african country or horde. Another point is that rebels tend, for a reason I don’t know, to become weaker with each tech, which actually could make some sense as cheap weapons like pikes and pitchforks get less effective so munition becomes more important. So actually, imo, they already accidently simulate your issue on munitions.

On topic of morale: is’t it logical to start at high morale if you revolt? If you have finally done the big step to accomplish your dreams, then surely you will be excited? Some rebel types have morale nerfs, looking at the peasants, so I don’t really understand why they would need further nerfs, as you are clearly criticizing this rebel type the most.
Yes, I'm aware of this, but this would only apply to Noble Rebels, and even then - it is questionable for them to have the best available equipment and Heavy Weapons (i.e. Cannons) in their units. Plus, this is a European perspective that you're providing. For most non-European Kingdoms/Nations, the Noble/Clergy/Burgher triad is actually flawed in itself. The "royal" among non-European nations may have access to the manpower, but not the tech. This in itself could vary in an EU5 in terms of varying implementation of what Nobles bring to the fight. Cookie Cutter, copy/paste across all kingdoms - well, I think the EU series needs changes in that regard, also.

Last edited:
There are always debates on which way the scale should tip between realism and gameplay, but this thread goes way too far towards wanting realism(or, random specific quibbles about realism) at the expense of gameplay that actually sounds fun.

Saying things like the coptic religion not being powerful enough, is also just...way out there. It's a great religion, that just takes a bit of time to get going. Definitely very doable.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There are always debates on which way the scale should tip between realism and gameplay, but this thread goes way too far towards wanting realism(or, random specific quibbles about realism) at the expense of gameplay that actually sounds fun.

Saying things like the coptic religion not being powerful enough, is also just...way out there. It's a great religion, that just takes a bit of time to get going. Definitely very doable.
I agree there's a balance to be made. However, I didn't argue that Coptic Christian is not powerful enough. The key thing is - Coptics are so much a minority, that it should have caused more alliance-like bonds to form among the few Coptics who exist in the middle of a Sunni horde. Doesn't make sense for Coptic Cannibalism in the face of Existential Threats from Sunnis.

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if the king of Spain in the 16th century knew anything about a small rebellion in the mexican highlands BEFORE it had coalesced into a large-scale mass uprising. Heck, it would be more realistic if you didn't find out about the rebels until AFTER they had either killed or been killed by your local forces. But given that this is a game, and we want to be able to control our world-spanning empire without waiting weeks to hear about whether that cousin we sent to marry the duke of burgundy died in a shipwreck or not ... it seems like a fair compromise.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I thought about your comment, but consider - What would be wrong with trivializing Rebel attacks in a game where Nation-State vs Nation-State is the epicenter of the game? Why get so distracted by trivial Rebels in the first place? Maybe a gamer wants to play their Irish ancestors against the English and not have the puny Irish sellouts spoiling the fight. Or perhaps it's time for Germany vs France and be rid of those complaining about that coming fight? It's just a perspective - you're commenting on the "game you know" - not what the game could be, which is more toward replicating the Nation-State wars of the past.

Just for giggles, I did a count of rebellions in my first 50 years of gameplay in a smaller nation -- to try and do what I would term "normal expansion" there were 8 rebel armies that formed in 50 years. For one thing - there aren't that many people available in the small country. It's like there's a special Matrix-breeding ground somewhere hidden in my nation that produces all of these fantastically large armies when the nation has Monsoons and complaints about lack of Manpower to harvest the fields and on and on -- You see what I mean? The Rebel manifestations in themselves - are what don't make sense, from a gameplay perspective (to use your words).

Reactions:
Rebellious provinces should incur maluses that increase over time, unless you put soldiers there on guard duty. To decrease rebelliousness you would include rebel culture into your nobility, give them same rights. The problem with EU4 is that it doesn't model cultures enough to create more complex system than unrest-rebels-culture triarchy, where your options are decrease unrest, kill rebels and convert culture. It's very black and white with "click this button". It does a good job, but yes the rebel armies are sometimes silly.

We will now add a pergmanent fog of war to every province your king is not currently in when leading a army. Every message will get several months of delay so if rebels spawn you will only notice after it happened a while ago.

Reactions: