• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by wryun

Just letting you know you'll have an appreciative audience when it does come out.

On a related note, does anyone know exactly what portions of GUFSM (from what version) made it into standard EU2? I know some did, but there are still a large number of things that are different as well as the flags. Perhaps Johan should be encouraged to update them to the latest release in time for 1.07, and use MKJ's 8-bit flags if the non-dimming behaviour is unacceptable?

(or, ideally, fix the dimming for 24-bit, which shouldn't be difficult - speaks the person who knows nothing about it)

Thanx. :)
I don't really remember when we started to work on GUFSM, but it was after EU2 was released. My guess is about 8-9 months ago or so.
Jerry McQuinn made the new shields and flags that were included in EU2.

You have to excuse me that I haven't "released" version 1.1 yet, I'm quite busy at work right now... :(
I still have some minor things that I want to solve before I make it avaible to the public. :)

Hmm... I thought when the 1.05 patch came out (or 1.06?) a lot of GUFSM stuff was included? Certainly the shields changed then - try it yourself :)

--- 1 minute interlude ---

Just thought I'd check the readme; found this in 1.05:

- The moslem flags were all changed to more historical looks, as well as some new custom shields and flags which were added, all made by James Dahl.

So presumably there were some GUFSM ones there.

Originally posted by wryun
Hmm... I thought when the 1.05 patch came out (or 1.06?) a lot of GUFSM stuff was included? Certainly the shields changed then - try it yourself :)

--- 1 minute interlude ---

Just thought I'd check the readme; found this in 1.05:

- The moslem flags were all changed to more historical looks, as well as some new custom shields and flags which were added, all made by James Dahl.

So presumably there were some GUFSM ones there.

I totally forgot, you're right, MKJ made some shields and flags that we're included in 1.05. However that was before we started to work on the GUFSM

Originally posted by Birger Jarl
I totally forgot, you're right, MKJ made some shields and flags that we're included in 1.05. However that was before we started to work on the GUFSM

Hell, the ones in 1.05 were before I even made the template... The stuff in 1.06 wasn't GUFSM by the way, just my last flag mod. I think the reason they don't put in the GUFSM is size and (until recently) a lack of 8-bit flags. They really should anyways though, it rules ;)

Size is not much of an excuse, since they're still putting the music in the NA patch. They could just swap the music for GUFSM... y'all should petition them :)

I do have a concern with the verison I downloaded (the selfextracting one). It appears to be missing many Flags & Shields and others that are included appear to be different from those that show on the GUFSM preview pages maintained by Korath.

Hmmm... What gives???

Is the self-extracting version the most recent 1.0? or is it the previous 0.2 version?

Will the new 1.1 have a selfextracting version for those of us who use WinZip and therefore cant open .rar files?

Thanks.

Originally posted by PaxGaribaldi
Excellent job on the GUFSM. The 24-Bit Shields & Flags are gorgeous. I actually like the 'glowing' aspect of the 24-bit flags in the 'Fog of War' area. Please dont replace them with 8-bit.

Thanx, my thought also on the 'Fog of War', it looks much better. :)

I do have a concern with the verison I downloaded (the selfextracting one). It appears to be missing many Flags & Shields and others that are included appear to be different from those that show on the GUFSM preview pages maintained by Korath.

Hmmm... What gives???

Is the self-extracting version the most recent 1.0? or is it the previous 0.2 version?

Will the new 1.1 have a selfextracting version for those of us who use WinZip and therefore cant open .rar files?

Thanks.

What shields and flags is missing or different? I've never heard that before.
GUFSM 1.0 is the most recent version, before that it wasn't complete.

I'll probably upload both a .rar and .zip version of 1.1

A fair question. I havent had time yet to compare all the letters yet but I have compared all the A's & B's. It should at least be illustrative of my point. If you would like a complete review I could do one this weekend.

This is a comparison between the self-extracting version and the preview pages maintained by Korath. If necessary, I will also make reference to the original Paradox versions.

Aden - same
Afghanistan - same
Ak Koyunlu - same
Albania - same
Algiers - same

Annam - Missing

Aragon - Yellow/Red H-Stripes + Blue/White Cross vs. Yellow/Orange V-Stripes w/2 White Penants facing in right half of shield, overlayed w/Black Symbols

Arakan - Missing (Note I actually like Paradox's blue w/White symbol version - any chance someone could make 24-bit versions of that?)

Armenia - same
Armenia Minor - same

Ashanti - Missing (but I like Trajanus's remake of the original Paradox shield)

Assam - Missing

Astrakhan - Crown & Tulwar are slighlty different shape and colors

Atjeh - Missing

Austria - Yellow w/Red Lion & Stripes with matching flag vs. Yellow w/Red Lion and different flag

Auvergne - same

Ayutthaya - Missing

Aztec Empire - Missing

And now for the B's. Also, in both this section and the previous I am focusing on the Shields, but I believe the Flags may may even more discrepanices.

(Note: This is a comparison between the self-extracting version and the preview pages maintained by Korath. If necessary, I will also make reference to the original Paradox versions.)

Baden - same

Baluchistan - Missing

Bavaria - Same design but blue is much darker and deeper on preview page

Bengal - Missing

Benin - Missing

Bohemia - Same design but Tan Lion vs. White Lion (I prefer the tan one) - Flag Missing

Bosnia - same - Flag Missing

Bourbonnais - same

Brabant - Same design but Brown Lion vs. Yellow Lion (I prefer the brown one)

Brandenburg - Birds are different and different color: Gorgeous Copper (plus Brown, Red & Grey in design) Eagle - ...NOTE this is easily the most beautiful of all the designs in the GUFSM, pity it is now changed.... vs. Red Vulture? on Gold Branch

Brazil - same
Bremen - same
Brittany - same
Brunei - same

Bulgaria - Red w/Yellow Lion vs. Red w/Orange Lion - Lions are also different shape and slightly different stance

Burgundy - Red Circle w/Blue & Yellow D-Stripes inside vs. one of those 'Quadrant Shields' (not sure on technical term but a shield split in 4 parts each with a different symbol - not a fan of those types myself) - Flag Missing

Burma (Myanmar) - Missing (this one is easily Paradox's most beautiful - I love that Peacock - would love to see it in 24-bit - sadly it appears that the new version is Green w/Yellow Chicken)

Byzantium - Red w/Yellow & Green Cross & Symbols in each Quadrant vs. Red w/Orange Cross & Symbols (prefer first version)

This discourse is a bit lengthy even though it only focuses on the A's & B's but hopefully it aptly illustrates my point that there is a huge discrepancy between the self-extracting version and what the preview pages show. Unfortunately for me, I prefer some of the self-extracting versions (or even Paradox's orginals), although the work illustrated on the preview pages is high quality.

I suppose the ideal GUFSM would have up to 5 choices per country but that would be a momumental undertaking and since the GUFSM makes no attempt to do so I must conclude that it was never intended.

Anyway, if anyone can provide some insight as to why the versions are so different that would be highly useful.

Look forward to seeing GUFSM 1.1 released.

Anyway, if anyone can provide some insight as to why the versions are so different that would be highly useful.

short answer: the preview pages on korath's site date from the last time he hosted the project, and are therefore not up to date (korath unfortunately isn't around anymore...)

birger hosts the project now, and posts update threads that show the new versions, like this one

Well thanks for the answer but I am not sure that makes sense given the conditions.

After further study of the threads I have come across another discrepancy which may help explain the situation.

In the very first message of this thread there is now a link to a file called gufsm10.exe

I do not know if this link was always there or if it used to point to a rar file. (I am assuming that since it is an exe file it is now selfextracting) I am now downloading this file in an attempt to verify my suspicion. It appears that this file is ~7.28 Mb.

The link to the 'self-extracting' version I am refering to (the one I had downloaded several months ago and have finally gotten around to working with) is located on the second page of this thread about half way. It is also in a thread from Korath and is in response to complaints from Winzip users who could not open the original rar file. It appears this file is only 4.83 Mb and its name is gufsm01.exe. I had failed to notice the siginificance of the '01' portion of the name but perhaps it is very important.

Is that actually an alpha version of the 1.0 gufsm? Given how much is missing from it, and the size and name difference, that could well be the case.

If the file I am now downloading opens and installs then I believe the mystery has been solved. If this is actually a rar file with an exe extension then I am still confused.

I suppose the ideal GUFSM would have up to 5 choices per country but that would be a momumental undertaking and since the GUFSM makes no attempt to do so I must conclude that it was never intended.

I think the point of GUFSM was to give as historically accurate shields and flags as could be found, that's why some shields look very different from the Paradox ones. At least I prefer historical accuracy over outlook (e.g. Brandenburg and Burma).

Ok, mystery solved. The link on the first page points to the correct file. I am up to speed now and have also looked at the 1.1 version.

Thanks to all for their responses.

Agree historical accuracy is valid criteria. Its especially viable in a small timeframe. Unfortunately, given a 400 year period, it is highly likely that many countries used several different flags and shields during that timeframe... thereby making them all valid, yet none completely accurate... and hence my point.

Nevertheless I am quite pleased with all the effort and work by the community here. Keep it up.