• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

montgomeryjlion

Colonel
14 Badges
May 16, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
OK, this will be my second try with France (Got to 1856 first try and ran out of Generals and Admirals) so thought I'd try an AAR.

It's the Economy, stupid....
First thing is to get the Economy working. The colonies and the military can wait...
On the first turn, we need to shut down the unprofitable factories, and get some priorities straight...
Initially, the following are extremely unprofitable (Meaning they're using far more resources than they return):
Ecole Navale in Bretagne
Mechanical Shop in Franche Comte
Saint Cyr in Ile De France
Both Steel mills in Lorraine (Will become profitable once the already building Railroad is finished)
Shipbuilding in Provence
Shipbuilding in Vendee

To shut them down, we select the city in that province, select the appropriate industry and click on the lightning bolt and watch it become red(Orange?)
I've made up a cheat sheet showing all the French provinces, their resources, and their initial extraction sites and industries, including profitability info. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to attach that here so if anybody wants a copy (And I've done the same for Prussia also), just PM me.

Once we've shut those down, next thing is to go into the F4 tab, go to the manufactured goods section, down to the second from the bottom circle (Shows -13 to start) and Ctrl-Click it 3 times...Manufactured Goods are the biggest thing we're going to need, so this is a good way to maximize the amount available.
Next is to arrange trades of material.
The ones that are going to kill us initially and for a while to come are wood, cotton, and especially minerals.
At the start, our goal is to just break even with industry and accumulate as much of those three as possible. It won't be enough, trust me...
So, bringing up the B screen we see that we have an excess of steel (We'll keep that, we need steel in almost all cases to build new things do we need all that we can get a hold of, but since we already have a surplus, no need to import more).
Coal we are losing, despite already importing 24. We have to try to at least break even with coal since almost every single industry uses it, along with maintaining our military and colonies, so we need to import only one more to break even. Hovering the mouse over coal shows that the Low Countries have 7 to spare which no one else is trying for so lets scroll the map over Belgium and hit the T key. (BTW, I find that dragging the B screen over to the right of the screen right off the bat is very helpful as I can then view both the T and B screens simultaneously). Once we've got the T screen for the Low countries up, just find the Coal section and click on the Plus key to its' right bringing it up to 1. If you look at the B screen, you'll see Coal is no longer Red, but breaking even.
Supply is in the red, which is not good, but initially no one is selling Supply, so that will have to wait.
Ammo is breaking even so it's good.
Likewise with Iron.(Which we start with a buy order of 8)
Minerals is in deep trouble, showing a steeply dropping red line. As I said, we need to buy every mineral we can. Easiest way is just to click on the little mineral icon on the B screen a few times. We should now "only" be losing 1 mineral per turn.
However, keep in mind that the B screen at the start assumes that ALL trades will be successful, both buy and sell. This is rarely the case so in reality we're probably going to be losing more than one mineral a turn, but that right now is beyond our control.
Nitrates we're actually making a profit on, which is unnecessary so we'll cancel the buy order already established by going over to South Germany (BTW, I find it very helpful during this stage to have the Trade areas screen open by either using the Ctrl-3 keys or just clicking on the little button 3rd from the left under the mini map. This way you know the boundaries of the trade areas). We still have an excess of 1 Nitrate so lets sell that by going back to Northern France (Which is where all our sell trades should be controlled from. Easiest way in all cases to get back to home is to click on the National Flag in the upper left of the screen.) To shut the T screen from one area just hit the T key again. So open it for Northern France, select Nitrates and sell that one by clicking on the plus button to the right of the nitrates symbol (Button to the right in all the Trade screens means selling (To or from you). To the left is buying (To or from you.)
For cereals, we are actually in debt because we are already selling too many. So, still in the T box for Northern France, select the plus bar to the left of the cereals icon until the number to the right becomes 2 and the B screen shows we are breaking even)
Fish we can sell off 2.
Cattle we need to cancel the sell order, and buy one more.
Fruits we can sell 2.
Sugar, again, we cancel the sale and buy one more.
Preserved Food we've got 5 excess and we could try to sell but trust me, no one wants to buy those at the beginning so we'll let it pile up.
Cotton/Wool we follow the same procedure as Minerals. Can't have enough.
Same with Wood. (Which should show a massive excess once you max it out but again, you won't get them all and you need them. Later, we can throttle back. They're cheap.)
Dyes show an excess but we'll leave that as those become rarer. France can build enough Dye factories later, but right now we're importing.
We're going to go on an anti-smoking binge by cancelling our buy of Tobacco.
Also an anti-drinking campaign by stopping the buy of Rum.
The problem with Wines is that we're selling them from both North and South France which is too confusing, so go to South France and stop the sale by dropping the number to 0. Then go back to Northern France and increase the sale to 10 there. Much easier to keep things in one place.
Chemicals we can sell 3 of to break even.
Manufactured Goods again we max out on (and cancel the sale of the 4 we are currently selling)
Textiles, again, we make sure were not selling any from Southern France (Sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Generally any sale not from a countries home area (Which really only applies to France and the USA (Chesapeake) should be ignored since it will immediately disappear.
Sell 15 textiles to break even.
Sell 6 Mechanical Parts.
And increase the sale of Luxury Goods to 6.
Phew...
After the first few turns, we'll only go through all this every 3 months or so as I find once I have enough resources, things tend to run rather smoothly.
But, until then, we're going to have to accept that you're going to have a few factory shutdowns. Mostly the textile factories because of lack of cotton, and everything else because of lack of minerals. Once we get enough of those, things will run a lot more smoothly.

Ideally, we'd like to start immediately building extraction sites for those 2, since we have plenty of sites but remember that what we have on hand at the START of the turn is what matters, so if we use all our steel, Capital and Manufactured. Goods now, our factories will shut down immediately at the start of next turn so we need to build up a sufficient amount of those. Ideally, I find that keeping at least 100 steel, 1000 Capital and 100 Man. Goods around is sufficient. But we're a bit away from that right now.
The only other things we need to do this turn are to move our military units that are not properly supplied to supplied areas.
These are the French Asiatic squadron off of Indochina, (We'll just dock it in Saigon by dragging it there.) and the two southern army units in Algeria (The Constantine and Mostagnem Garrisons. We drag them respectively up to Annaba and Algeria.
Now we end the turn and see what happened....

Turn 2
So, after the obligatory few minutes wait, we see the results for the first turn.
As we expected, a number of our purchase requests did not work, either
because the nation entirely stopped selling anything (As in the case of
many of the Manufactured goods sales), or because of competition. In
total, we find that we only managed to buy 105 of the 163 items we tried
to and only sold (Because no one wanted everything we sold) only 22 of 35
items we tried to sell. Nevertheless, we did make a profit in all the
items that really mattered: Money, Capital, Steel, Cotton and Wood.
We also find as expected that those units that were out of supply, which
we gave move orders to last turn, suffered casualties (Since attrition is
before movement) but that the fleet and the Mostagnem garrison did reach
their objectives so they will be fine now. The Constantine Garrison will arrive this turn.
So, now we find that we need lots of supply (14) which is now available,
We got most of the minerals we wanted but we're still running a per-turn
deficit of 3. Cotton is also running a deficit of 4. We have excessive
supplies of some other things but, again that doesn't mean anyone is
buying.
We will now take a chance and build a minerals quarry. It will cost half
of our capital and supply of manufactured goods as well as soak up our
profit of steel, but without it we're going to die an economic death real
fast. So we bring up the economic build menu and select a mineral
quarry. When we do, the areas available to build it show up in Green. It
is by far the smartest thing to do to build it in an area with existing
railways since they will make twice as many minerals there so that narrows
it down to Bourgogne or Alsace. We select Alsace since that has a higher
mineral capacity by dragging a mineral quarry to that province. It will
start functioning in three turns, as we see by hovering over the
extraction circle in Alsace.
We'll then buy 14 supply to break even there, and hope a few more of our
sells work this time. We need to reduce the sell amounts on a few items
since when we have excess, the population tends to want more, which also
makes money.
We'll then end this turn, and the next few until the Mineral Quarry is
ready, since we need to build up again and there's not much we can do to
control our fate until the Railroad is done in Lorraine and we have enough
goods and money to build more railroads and extraction sites(Especially
wood, cotton, minerals and coal, which we'll need lots more of.)

We let things play out for a few turns.
In late February, we have enough goods to build another mineral quarry, this time in Bourgougne.
We'll then just let things run until early April where we'll do a complete re-evaluation of our economy.
Now, we've got 2 new mineral quarries and the railway has finished in Meuse, increasing the iron output of the mines there.

Our Coal, cotton and wool stocks are all getting low. We can still buy coal on the market, plus we have the option, which we'll take, of going to the F4 screen and selecting the options at the bottom of a Coal and Steel imports subsidy, as well as a good imports ban. This will cost us 600 money, which we have, but should give us enough cushion to last for a while, though we'll still probably end up with a few shutdowns.
So, we're going to go ahead and build 2 wood logging sites in Aquitane, since that's the only province that has wood that also has a railroad.
Next turn, once those subsidy's take place, we'll go ahead a start a railroad in Normandy, so we can build a wool farm there. We're also going to need to start up some coal mines very soon since, although a lot is being sold on the market, there is a huge amount of demand for it as well.
So, end turn and see what the status looks like next turn.

So, late April more funds available so we'll start a railway in Normandie as well as 2 Coal Mines, one in Rhone and one in Bourgougne.
We'll also take the 3 new choices of Coal, steel and Goods import bans.
Note that this might be a bad idea for 1.02 as it says these raise inflation, but we play with what we've got...

Fortunately, we haven't had to do anything diplomatically yet. Last time I played France, had a crisis in Tunisia almost immediately, but nothing so far...
End Late April...

Thanks for posting. A couple tips if you don't mind. Break up your text into distinct paragraphs. It's tough on the eye in the current format. And if you have the ability to post pics, people LOVE pics! :D

Also, how are you managing to make money buying so much and selling so little? Is your internal market that large that you can afford to run such a large trade deficit? How much internal consumption are you getting every turn? Must be massive.

Just started reading this, but Real Life is rearing its ugly head (in the guise of having to get up early for work), so I'll read more tomorrow. I don't have the game, so there's a lot to digest. :) Thanks for the AAR!

I'll break it up better.
So, last turn (End of April):

We bought 72 merchandises for a price of 358 Pounds (Shouldn't that be Francs?:))

We sold 31 merchandises for a price of 294 Pounds

It's nice having expensive things to sell:)

We sold 158 goods on the national market for a price of 846 pounds.

Profit in Capital should be about 450 per turn.

Profit in Money is still fairly low at about 70 a turn.

Both of these should go up as time goes on...

So, here's a snapshot of our economy using a spreadsheet I made up:
47789014.jpg

A few explanations of the spreadsheet:
The bought and sold on the left are what we bought and sold last turn, giving us the balance on the right. On the far right is what we are TRYING to buy or sell.
The need or excess is according to the B window.

Everybody wants coal so although we're asking for 41, we'll probably only get a fraction of that. Need to build more coal mines ASAP.
Next turn we should be able to afford that...
Each coal mine takes up our daily profit of steel, MG and capital...

So one a turn we can do and break even. Eventually, as railroads finish, our income should go up.

We're making a nice profit of Wood but we're scraping the bottom of the barrel and even if all the buys come through, we're still going to make a profit next turn according to the B screen.

Hopefully, in a few months, we can start playing with the colonies...

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I've got 2 PCs (Home office) so playing PON on one with everything else on the other...

For now, we'll end this turn...

Thanks montgomeryjlion,

Very informative AAR indeed.

What about your taxes did you low them, for increasing Capital gain as opposed to State Money, or not ?

Also you said:
Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to attach that here so if anybody wants a copy .......

There is an "Attachements" button in the upper row of the reply window, just left of the "Undo" arrow.

Hope this help, regards

That's a lot of detail to get my head around. ;) But it should definitely help me to figure out how the game works.

Is it too early to ask what your longer-term goals are, especially concerning foreign policy?

So, stupid question, but montgomeryjlion mentions shutting down unprofitable factories in his first post. How do you determine if a factory is unprofitable? For example, a steel mill requires 10 CAP, 5 Coal, 5 Min, 5 Iron but generates 6 Steel. Is that profitable? What would an unprofitable steel mill looks like?

Also, nice write-up, I look forward to reading more.