• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's how I like to see it, well done!
I'll await the royalties on that ^^
the gains might not be massive, though the leadership is very useful and for the moment your eastern flank is secure, that is worth a lot.
Am I right the campaign lasted exactly 1 month? that's not bad at all I'd say.

And don't worry about the rate of updates. If there is little time, we just have to wait a little longer. Such is the life of AAr readers, haha. Which reminds me, I should look into my own AAR this weekend.

You really should, I love your AAR :)
I can update now (and I will), but I do like to keep a usual update schedule. Makes things ordered :)
The campaign should have gone on for three weeks at most, but those Polish divisions halted my attack on Warsaw by a week. I still have no idea how they managed to keep fighting for so long. The leadership is a lot less than I thought it would be though. And that's coming from somebody who's invaded Poland countless times (I've never actually studied the increases of leadership before)!
But securing the eastern side is probably the most important thing - a nice border with the SU :)

And as for royalties, would a lifetime supply of German beer suffice? :happy: Since the convoys were halted, our money supplies have dwindled somewhat :p
Beer is all we have left!

Last edited:
Chapter Four: Schlieffen Plan Mark II
Part VIII: Copenhagen Laughs
12th of November, 1939 to 11th of December, 1939

Hitler had learned from his Polish campaign. He needed a lot of men to hold a front; he could not merely push to Paris and hope the French wouldn't close in behind the Panzers. But he also was shown the effectiveness of a strong airforce. Many new plans were being built now, due to an initiative just before the invasion of Poland. The focus of factories to heavy industry meant these planes would be arriving soon. But Hitler didn't want to wait. He would use this time to show the Allies again the power of his armies. Importantly, he wanted to stop French and British ships inside the Baltic Sea, and to secure a port to strike at Norway and Sweden from. Hitler was completely ignoring his generals' recommendations to invade Denmark and France in 1940.

'Take a corps from Heeresgruppe Ost and send them over to the Denmark-German border north of Kiel!' Hitler ordered.
Guderian, newly appointed commander of the Heeresgruppe Ost (renamed and redeployed Heeresgruppe Polen, reserves in case of a sudden Soviet attack) stood up to Hitler. 'We cannot send over any men!' he cried.
Hitler sighed slowly. He would have to use some divisions fresh from training. He only had three. He devised a small plan, Fall Baden, named after Baden Baden, to destroy Denmark. It would take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on the resistance of the Danish troops.
Although Hitler had learned to not be risky against medium to large armies, he doubted the power of Denmark to hold out against even a marine invasion by militia.

l8vgVzR.png

The eastern plan of Fall Baden looked rather risky in itself.
'You're going for a naval assault on a CITY? WITH A NON-MARINE DIVISION? ARE YOU CRAZY?' shouted Heinrici, commander of the forces assaulting Copenhagen. His face, originally bright red from anger, had now turned pale and white.
'Even with the airforce, this attack would never work!' he breathed slowly. He knew it was a death sentence for his men.
But Hitler would not listening, noting the power of the German airforce. This was more of an exercise for his bombers and multi-roles to gain experience, rather than to gain manpower and industry.

wIHCkQG.png

The western side of Fall Baden predicted almost no Danish resistance. This was again risky. Hitler knew he couldn't take out men from Heeresgruppe Ost, Heeresgruppe Nord or Heeresgruppe Sud (the army groups for Soviet defence, Belgium + Netherlands, and France respectively), and he was far too impatient to wait for more men. This would have to do.

The German navy wasn't very strong.

8H8w1DL.png

German intelligence suggested the Danish fleet had at most a few heavy cruisers, luckily.

2LORAz3.png

A few ships had suffered light damage from submarines and ships in the Baltic Sea, but they were holding strong.

yzZFICA.png

Hitler declared war at 21:00, on the 12th of November. Hopefully the Danish soldiers were tired - it was night after all - and not expecting a German bombing or attack.

o5vz9jL.png

German divisions were ordered to move to their designated locations. Under the cover of darkness, 8000 German soldiers advanced on the capital of Denmark, supported by naval shelling and immense air attacks. Although Copenhagen was already getting hit by German bombs, this did little to swerve the garrison from defending.

kFnTNVQ.png

It didn't look so good for the Germans. Heinrici wanted to pull back and attack from under Copenhagen, but Hitler ordered him to keep attacking.

On the 15th of November, German divisions entered Southern Denmark.

kjlygLe.png

The Battle of Copenhagen raged on. Still Hitler ordered Heinrici to attack, and still Heinrici requested to pull out.

12fPH7E.png

Copenhagen was suffering daily and nightly bombings. But they had barely been hurt by the landings.

CiiPYPu.png

German newspapers reported of the Danish government publicly laughing at the German attack on their capital. The city was laughing at Germany. It could take down all of Poland but failed to capture a city with immense air support and constant naval strikes?

On the 21st of November, the climax of their mocking was reached. Heinrici had finally convinced Hitler to pull off the useless attack.

mWEgaqP.png

(I don't know why it says the divisions has no days left of supplies. When I hover over, it says the division is fully supplied)
Meanwhile, Germans in western Denmark were nearing their objectives. Finally some resistance was encountered.

gvNTT5N.png

Arhus was assaulted. The Danish fiercely resisted Germany. It was the 24th of November. Hitler ordered a preparation for another attack on Copenhagen.

WthEiD2.png

This second attack came on the 27th of November. This time the bombing had done its job. Odense was taken by Germany an hour later. After a while, hard fighting in Arhus and Copenhagen ended in two defeats for Denmark. Tactical bombers were brought over from everywhere to strike at Copenhagen during the fight. It laughed no more.

ezlnk5q.png

As ships fleed from the port of Copenhagen, the Schlachtflotte managed to take down a submarine.

g1SYYHn.png

And the next day, Denmark knew its defence was over. von Neurath was sent to sign the surrender treaty.

Dc5WxQn.png

Hitler had now learned he needed better trained units for amphibious operations. Norway and Sweden would have to be put off for a while. France looked all the more juicier with more and more aeroplanes being deployed.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness. That poor infantry division. :(
I know. I honestly didn't expect the Danish to defend that well, but I just basically role-played Hitler and forced the attack anyway :p

I know. I honestly didn't expect the Danish to defend that well, but I just basically role-played Hitler and forced the attack anyway :p
I just want to take the survivors away from you, and give them all a big hug and tell them, "There, there. It'll be okay. That mean DarkMiner can't hurt you anymore."

Just kidding. :p

I actually just finished playing my invasion of Denmark in my game too. I also was surprised at how tenaciously they defended their homeland with only two divisions.

I just want to take the survivors away from you, and give them all a big hug and tell them, "There, there. It'll be okay. That mean DarkMiner can't hurt you anymore."

Just kidding. :p

I actually just finished playing my invasion of Denmark in my game too. I also was surprised at how tenaciously they defended their homeland with only two divisions.

:happy:

I think they may need a morale boost after that :p

Weirdly, when I played as Denmark, my infantry divisions (supported with forts and fully mobilised) were crushed fairly immediately :blink:

That will teach you to amphibiously assault a city with one division of regular infantry, without extensive bombing and naval bombardment.
At least Hitler learned his lesson in Denmark (though it took him a bloody 9 days to do so), and not when storming the white cliffs of Dover. That would've been even more painful.

Nice, Subbed!

But really, I know you were trying to emulate Hitler (quite successfully in fact), but how the hell did Denmark stop you?! They were mobilized or something?

That will teach you to amphibiously assault a city with one division of regular infantry, without extensive bombing and naval bombardment.
At least Hitler learned his lesson in Denmark (though it took him a bloody 9 days to do so), and not when storming the white cliffs of Dover. That would've been even more painful.

When the time comes to invade the UK, I'd be terrified enough as it is with marines, let alone infantry divisions :p

Nice, Subbed!

But really, I know you were trying to emulate Hitler (quite successfully in fact), but how the hell did Denmark stop you?! They were mobilized or something?
Hitler was a notoriously bad commander at times indeed. Like letting the British escape. :rofl:

I've been wondering that myself. I don't think they were mobilised - either I missed the message or they just mobilised quickly.

Subbed! Interesting idea, and I can't wait to see how this "Four-Faction War" plays out. as everyone else is saying: Y U NO INVASION???? :p

Subbed! Interesting idea, and I can't wait to see how this "Four-Faction War" plays out. as everyone else is saying: Y U NO INVASION???? :p

Thanks a lot :D

I can't wait too. Knowing the AI, the USA will conquer England within two months, attempt to take Cherbourg while simultaneously mounting a marine assault on Tokyo while bombing the Russians to rubble. While being on 98% surrender from Canada having taken most VPs. :rofl:
That means though, I'm going to need a LOT of garrisons. The USA definitely will take England early on, giving them a base to strike at France or Spain with :(

But soon it shall happen. I want to skip a lot of time between the invasion of France/Spain/Norway and the invasion of the USSR - when the US is probably ready for war, so you won't have to wait for too long!

Part IX: Not Such a Precarious Plan
14th of December, 1939

Hitler was talking to his generals again. He had learned - a quick blitzkrieg assault would not work unless he had the numbers to push, as well as breakthrough attacks. Most of his men were currently on the border with France, Hitler having feared an attack. His fears were proven false; France hadn't even bombed Germany, let alone attack it.

'I want a plan to attack France, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands with!' Hitler exclaimed.
'We have designed one already!' Guderian said exitedly. 'We've called it the Schlieffen Plan Mark II, in memory of the failed attack of the last war. Here it is!' he added.
1schlieffennorth14dec_zpse696c96c.png

(in the images, green is the first wave, blue the second, red the third and yellow the fourth. Dotted lines indicate pockets/encirclements)

'The northern part of the plan calls for a relatively swift attack on the Netherlands. Our airforce will help out in key locations. We plan to split the French from the Netherlands quickly, so they cannot reinforce their position.

2schlieffenwest14dec_zps1f81eb38.png

'The western part of the plan indicates a swift push towards Paris. We expect some resistance, unlike in Poland. Do not expect the path to Paris to be held up by inexperienced, poorly equipped soldiers. We will not be pushing in a single province, but as a whole front. This should stop any counterattacks from becoming critical to our position.

3schlieffeneast14dec_zpsfacc7961.png

'This is the eastern part of the plan. One by one, the Maginot Line will be attacked. They will be first cut off, and lose connection to their supplies. This hopefully will reduce their ability to fight. Immense bombing by every available fighter or bomber will slowly secure us this important border. The French will be unable to defend here effectively - their men will be too busy fighting the advancing Panzers from the north.' Guderian explained.

'How is our airforce looking? Those new planes, are they any good?' Hitler asked.
'Those new planes are mainly interceptors, and as of such will be of little use in any ground attacks. We will use them to further defend ourselves from British strategic bombing.' Guderian said. 'These are our planes in Kassel,'

8airforcekassel_zps15543955.png

'We have also some planes in Munster,'

4airforcemunster14dec_zps6479a9f1.png

'Some planes in Koln,'

5airforcekoln_zpsc8a22f77.png

'Some in Frankfurt,'

6airforcefrankfurt_zps439c3ffe.png

'And finally some in Euskirchen!'

7airforceeuskirchen_zpsc4dea4ce.png

Hitler was pleased. He would have to wait for the organisation to regain before attacking, though. Otherwise his airforce would be of very little use.

Part X: Last Day of the U-Boots
20th of December to 19th of January

It was not long now. Many Parisian homes were completely empty, everybody having been called to fight or work.
Hitler believed the French had very superficial power - their only show of strength was their border with Germany. No Maginot Line would stop his Panzers entering Strasbourg though.

However, a small matter of awaiting on the airforce to regain organisation hindered their assault on France. Only the navy was left to satisfy Hitler's boredom.

1navalfight20dec_zps9db634d0.png

'Mein Fuehrer! The Danish still have some submarines, trapped in the Baltic!' cried the chief of the navy.
'Submarines, you say? I have a wonderful idea. Get me the phone!' Hitler exclaimed.

'Ja? Hallo, this is Adolf Hitler here. I have a wonderful idea!' Hitler said on the phone, 'I want you to go out and sink some convoys!'.
'We are U-Boot commanders. That's...why we're here, waiting for your order,' came a reply, 'but we cannot be too hasty - the enemy has gained much valuable territory on our border!' it added.
'France? Yes, I know they exist.' Hitler sighed.
'No, the Netherlands! Oh come on, you're the leader of this country. Somebody must have told you!' said the U-Boot commander through the speaker. Hitler hung up, satisfied that some convoys were about to be destroyed. But this Netherlands business. If it were true, then his whole plan would have to be changed. And because he wasn't declaring war in a complete surprise, but rather he had war declared upon him, the Netherlands would have had time to get support from France and Britain! Perhaps a huge offensive would take place.
Hitler was scared. His airforce was incredibly unprepared. His navy was non-existent and his land forces were small, mostly being deployed to quickly take Belgium and on the border with France. He would have to hope that the Allies were too scared to attack. If it were true.
But just then, Hitler saw a newspaper discared on the floor. He saw this:

2nethjoinsairforcenotready20dec_zps3591b53c.png

He immediately took a plane to the HQ of the forces in the west.

'Guderian, what should we be doing?' he asked cautiously.
'Nothing yet. Let them attack us if they will, but I doubt that will happen. We can attack when we're ready like we previously discussed,' Guderian said calmly. He wasn't too fussed.

Hitler saw a few things in the next few days. Firstly,

3endofnaval2hrslater20dec_zps50f344e0.png

They'd rebased in Sweden too! Hitler vowed revenge for that.

But there was a bit of good news. Some convoys had been sunk.

4firstconvoysunk23dec_zps7f0e549e.png

4bnextconvoy24dec_zps046f3d5e.png

4econvoy26dec_zpsb76ab2a3.png

4cnextconvoy24dec_zpscbbbe973.png

4dnextconoy25dec_zpsfe78d9b9.png

It was clear that the submarines were becoming effective. However, the British and French soon caught up to Germany's tricks and sent out a lot of their navy to find those 4 submarines. The British also realised Germany's industrial power was greater than their own. They decided to start a strategic bombing campaign. Luckily, German interceptors were superior.

5bebrabattle25dec_zpsca6febc0.png

In the navy, however, luck quickly turned towards the Allies.

6frenchfightsubs27dec_zps989b8999.png

8britishfightsubs2jan_zps88aa8c46.png

Hitler was outraged. Those U-Boots were Germany's only real usable naval forces that could do damage to Britain's economy.
'If we lose those submarines, Britain's economy will soar! Get out of there!' Hitler screamed. The news was not good.

9britishwin2hrslater2jan_zps7e446c16.png

7frenchwin27dec4hrslater_zpsfebd7ce5.png

'WHAT? ALL FOUR U-BOOTS GONE?' Hitler bellowed. For a few days, he become extremely angry. Only when the news of the airforce being ready did he become happier again. He studied the maps intensely that he had been handed from Guderian.

10germanyoneveofwar19jan_zps4ab71ae3.png

It was Germany on the eve of war. It was the 19th of January. The silence was to be broken. The west was to be shattered.

So far for the strangle-Britain-with-submarines plan then. Time for more drastic measures if you ask me :p
I'm surprised the Dutch joined the Allies here too, just as in my AAR. I guess TFH's way of handling threat really is out of whack then. I mean neither of us did anything extremely more aggressive than real life. There is no reason for them to do that (well ofc there is, but they shouldn't do it realistically). First I thought me building battleships had generated more threat than ground forces, but that doesn't make any sense.

Looking forward to this European affair turning global!

So far for the strangle-Britain-with-submarines plan then. Time for more drastic measures if you ask me :p
I'm surprised the Dutch joined the Allies here too, just as in my AAR. I guess TFH's way of handling threat really is out of whack then. I mean neither of us did anything extremely more aggressive than real life. There is no reason for them to do that (well ofc there is, but they shouldn't do it realistically). First I thought me building battleships had generated more threat than ground forces, but that doesn't make any sense.

Looking forward to this European affair turning global!

It is weird, isn't it? I checked, and Belgium is low enough neutrality and close enough alignment to join the Allies as well :O
Aha, this way of handling threat is really...odd. Get scared and threatened by a country more than 5 times more powerful than yours. No flawed logical there at all.

Last edited:
Part XI: Strong Resistance (Schlieffen Plan Mark II I)
19th of January, 1940 to 1st of February, 1940

All was ready for war. And war came swiftly on the low countries.
1allcountriesdeclaredwar19jan_zps9788b1a1.png

Hitler declared war on both Luxembourg and Belgium. Orders were allocated to divisions immediately.

2initialorders_zps5284cb20.png

The first battle was won a mere four hours later. The pathetic resistance in Luxembourg was quickly crushed by the might of Germany.

3luxdefeat4hrslater19jan_zps743900a0.png

Some more victories were quickly won on the very next day. Clearly, the Netherlands had not prepared for an attack well enough.

3somebattleswon20jan_zps384fd9d9.png

The Belgians were holding fast in Verviers though. Hitler started to become worried if this would be a repeat of the Schlieffen Plan of the previous war; although this plan did not rely so heavily on a quick attack on France - instead a powerful push, there still were concerns Britain may come to the aid of Belgium and the Netherlands, using this extra time to transport their forces.

4battlesinneth_zps752af4d6.png

Obviously the Netherlands had some fighting strength in it. They weren't complete pushovers like Poland, it appeared. But a strong airforce would soon be put to test! And after only a few bombings, their defences had vastly receded.

5riverbattles20jan_zpsefba13a8.png

Reports had started to come in of English-speaking soldiers on the fronts. Further intelligence suggested that the British had indeed come to help the Low Countries. Hitler hoped they would not come in force.

6bitishhelping20jan_zpsa678ae18.png

They were well-trained marines, designed for water-based operations. If the Wehrmacht could encircle some of these British divisions, it would put a big dent in the UK's ability to attack other locations.

The next day, Luxembourg was officially surrendered to Germany.

7francetrylux21jan_zps351b1a35.png

The French divisions who had been quickly posted there instantly reacted. But Luxembourg was nonetheless surrendered to Germany.

8luxdurrender22jan_zpsb5531cd3.png

While significant advances were made to the North, Belgium was still protected by the strong defence in Verviers. Due to light air bombing and intense attacks by the Panzers, it was started to crumble.

9verviersstrongdefence26jan_zps8fade8ef.png

Verviers was won on the 26th of January. The Belgians probably wouldn't be able to mount many defensive operations like that again, but that was a long battle.

10vervierswon26jan_zps0929a526.png

The French desperately tried to stop the Panzers reaching the Netherlands' capital, with carefully timed counterattacks. These didn't go hugely well though.

11apeldoornfrenchattack28jan_zpsa8972f71.png

12couldnotsplitnetherlandsfrombelgium-liegedefencelastedtoolong1feb_zpsce3cc269.png

-The situation of the splitting of the netherlands and Belgium. An initial failure. Luckily there were more divisions fighting everywhere - the lessons from Poland were learnt well. The land taken within around 11 days was still relatively substantial.

13germantakings11daysafter1feb_zpse4e04fcf.png

This was not as much as was predicted, but luckily the Netherlands could be quickly defeated soon - freeing up corps that in turn could strike Belgium, and then leading a front against France.

[post=16854687]
clickupdate_zpsc37fd38f.png
[/post]

A quick question: would you like me to go into more detail, and show more battles, more bombings, division composition etc, or is this fine?

Last edited:
The way it is now is fine, TehDarkMiner. :) not the U-boats! :( Punish the French!

No, this is nice. It is a gameplay AAR, so you are not needed to go into any detail.

The way it is now is fine, TehDarkMiner. :) not the U-boats! :( Punish the French!

No, this is nice. It is a gameplay AAR, so you are not needed to go into any detail.

Thanks both of you :)
The French will certainly be punished. We will take their stocks of croissants and wine. And replace all street names with English equivalents :happy:

(I have no idea how to quote more than one person with names :|)

Part XII: Panzers to Top Speed (Schlieffen Plan Mark II II)
3rd of February, 1940 to 11th of February, 1940

I just realised how ridiculous 'Mark II II' looks. But naming conventions are naming conventions.

Attacks were instantly ordered to take down the capital of the Netherlands. At the same time, divisions around Belgium and the Netherlands prepared for a push of their own.

1strongresistanceinbreda_zps7394b25e.png

The forces in Breda were not willing to give up. It would require intense bombing to have won the battle. Simultaneously, advances in the north allowed for a partial encirclement of the capital of the Netherlands! Amsterdam would soon be part of the Reich.

2nethcapitalsurrounded3feb_zps2213de20.png

Although the initial plan called for a larger encirclement before taking down the capital, the plan also predicted strong forces to the north, and weak to the south (contradictory to what actually was happening). Amsterdam had to be taken.

3amsterdamassaulted4feb_zps9852ee2e.png

A few hours later, reports came in from the front lines to the commanders. The battle of Breda was not going well.

4bredagoingbad5feb_zpsaeced77d.png

A panzer division was sent to help the attackers. Their strong armour would be no match for any Allied equivalent!

5bredagivenpanzerreinforce5feb_zps9ec8fd03.png

This significantly helped the battle. Panzers were doing other important things too: Dordrecht was taken, cutting off vital supplies to the south and reinforcements to the north. Amsterdam's fate was sealed.

6dordrechttakenencirclednetherlands5feb_zpsdf602cd7.png

This also allowed for an encirclement of the divisions held up in the Netherlands. But the Netherlands was not the only country to suffer.

7brusselsdefended6feb_zpsbe09196c.png

Brussels had been attacked. Resistance was brutal. The Belgians knew how to defend a critical location. Unfortunately for the Netherlands, they did not have this ability. Their capital fell on the 6th of February.

8amsterdamwon6feb_zps4d9b0663.png

Antwerpen was attacked a few days later. This city was another important location, and the mighty panzers were finding it surprisingly difficult to dislodge a diminutive garrison stationed there. Reinforcements came, but they were too late.

10antwerpentaken11feb_zps9c0ca977.png

3 days later, on the 11th of February, Antwerpen had fallen. Brussels was crumbling. The Netherlands was reduced to a few coastal towns.

11successesinneth11feb_zps76f4b125.png

Belgium was just a little line on the world map. A yellow streak.

12totalgains11feb_zps932fea08.png

As the Germans would put it, Blitzkrieg.

[post=16865298]
clickupdate_zpsc37fd38f.png
[/post]

Last edited: