• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Andy Scott

Private
43 Badges
Feb 8, 2019
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
The mod starts in 440 CE as Attila takes leadership of the Huns and the Roman Empire faces the greatest crisis of its existence. The mod will cover the transitional period from Late Antiquity to the Middle Ages, right up to where CK2 kicks off in the 8th century.

The Alpha version is available on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1756483038

[Note: Currently we cannot change the start date in Imperator Rome, so it’ll still appear as 450 AUC]

The mod is currently in Alpha so it’s a limited experience at the moment. There will be bugs and other weird things as you play. Over the coming months and years we'll flesh it out to reach its full potential.

This is the "sister mod" of Ashes of Empire: The Dark Age, which starts in 527 CE.

0FACF849B1DEF6E8ED2B731A94468851242504E2

Here are the features currently available in Alpha

- New nations in their 440 starting positions
- New religions: Catholic Christianity, Arian Christianity, Nestorian Christianity, Miaphysite Christianity, Tengri, Slavic and Islam. Orthodox Christianity can emerge if there's an early east-west schism.
- New cultures: Slavs, Turks, Huns, Berbers, Avars and more
- New characters, including Attila, Geiseric, Aetius and more!
- Roads in Roman Empire territories
- The death of Attila and the breakup of the Hunnic empire
- The breakdown of Roman control in Gaul and Hispania
- The ability to form new nations: Ireland, Britannia, Pictland, The Holy Roman Empire, The Gothic Empire and Arabia
- The Avars, Gokturks, Slavic migrations and Islamic caliphate
- The Council of Chalcedon and Miaphysite Controversy

Features To Come In Future Versions

- Religion re-work
- More new characters
- More historically accurate pop distribution
- More historical flavor
- Better balance
- New animations
- New government types

Events To Come In Future Versions

- Gavelkind Succession In The Frankish Kingdoms
- The First Viking raids
- The First Bulgarian Incursions In The Balkans
- The Political Maneuvering Of The Pope and other Patriarchs
- Migrations into India
- Multiple crisis points for Western Roman Empire
- Lombard migrations into Italy

For this mod to reach its full potential I need to build a team. If you’re interested in helping me go deeper with the history, create events, balance and contribute artwork to the project or even help with mod tasks like moving POPs around, implementing new religion dynamics and scripting events, please reach out to me on our Discord: https://discord.gg/An4QKTk

• 4Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I love mods which focus on the Dark Ages. Good luck!

P.S. Will there be a way for the Eastern Roman Empire to give up the idea of re-integrating the Western Roman Empire and embracing its Greek heartland and culture in the east?

If youre looking for a team and so is the guy from the Dark Ages mod (who is also adding today a 440 start date), why dont you team up, merge mods, and build the team together? Much more efficient than doing the same thing separately if you ask me.

Orthodox Christianity can emerge if there's an early east-west schism.

That's actually a touchy issue...I would argue that both Roman Catholic and [Greek] Orthodox Christianities have strong claims to being the "original" Roman (Empire) christian church centered on the 5 cities (Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria). Although I do think it is notable that the Roman Catholic tradition is the tradition which severely diverged from the original belief that all 5 patriarchs were equal in authority - What we now know as Roman Catholicism changed by claiming that the Patriarch of Rome had a divinely ordained supremacy over the the other 4 patriarchs. The Orthodox tradition just never accepted that change, along with some un-agreed upon changes to the Nicene Creed... which eventually (among other things) lead to the split.

In my mind, if you know the history, its kind of bias to say [Greek] Orthodox "emerges" from Roman Catholicism. I guess if you are just referring to the original tradition as "Catholic," in the true meaning of the original word "katholikos" (Greek for universal), its fine.

Obviously the various heresies, from the standpoint of the Nicene Christians, such as the Arians, Gnostics, etc., should be split from Nicene Christianity for game play purposes.

Last edited:
I believe that an Imperator to CK2 converter is in the works, but that seems like a really large gap. Do you think a converter from this mod or your other mod will be a possible addition

Also, will the events and features from your 527 bookmarks be added here too?

That's actually a touchy issue...I would argue that both Roman Catholic and [Greek] Orthodox Christianities have strong claims to being the "original" Roman (Empire) christian church centered on the 5 cities (Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria). Although I do think it is notable that the Roman Catholic tradition is the tradition which severely diverged from the original belief that all 5 patriarchs were equal in authority - What we now know as Roman Catholicism changed by claiming that the Patriarch of Rome had a divinely ordained supremacy over the the other 4 patriarchs. The Orthodox tradition just never accepted that change, along with some un-agreed upon changes to the Nicene Creed... which eventually (among other things) lead to the split.

In my mind, if you know the history, its kind of bias to say [Greek] Orthodox "emerges" from Roman Catholicism. I guess if you are just referring to the original tradition as "Catholic," in the true meaning of the original word "katholikos" (Greek for universal), its fine.

Obviously the various heresies, from the standpoint of the Nicene Christians, such as the Arians, Gnostics, etc., should be split from Nicene Christianity for game play purposes.

Actually, the system of Patriarchs were never fully solidified before most were lost to the invading Muslims in the 7th century. And indeed, even before the Islamic Invasions there were discussions about the primacy of the Bishop of Rome on both sides. Emperors certainly played with the idea.

Actually, the system of Patriarchs were never fully solidified before most were lost to the invading Muslims in the 7th century. And indeed, even before the Islamic Invasions there were discussions about the primacy of the Bishop of Rome on both sides. Emperors certainly played with the idea.

It may not have been solidified, but the patriarchs of Constantinople, Alexandria, Jerusalem and Antioch most certainly never viewed the Roman patriarch as superior to them, either in terms of legal authority or divine status. I agree that the two main patriarchs eventually ended up being the ones based in Rome (Pope) and the one based in Constantinople (Basically being the Eastern Roman Emperor). This was the case for centuries before the split between the Eastern and Western Churches really solidified and became official. But, I still don't see how anyone could reasonably claim "Catholicism," in the (Roman) Catholic sense, per-dated the Greek Orthodox tradition. The Greek Orthodox tradition was vastly more powerful and influential than the legal and religious authority/gravitas emanating out of Rome for hundreds of years prior to the West's rise. As you said, the rise of the pope as an actual person of real influence was caused by the Eastern Roman Empire being weakened by Muslim conquests. Prior to that, the Eastern Roman Emperor was the top religious authority within Christendom (Nicene Christianity). The pope was just another vassal to the Eastern Church and was often outranked by the Eastern Roman Empire's exarch in Italy.

Emperors certainly played with the idea.

What Eastern Roman Emperor seriously contemplated the authoritative supremacy of the Bishop of Rome over himself? o_O

Last edited: