• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Note that I'm from CK2 Plus team, not SWMH and my estimate of 700 could be way off +/-. But it is an educated guess.
Current version of SWMH has 490 more provinces than vanilla (including sea and desert provinces), so I can definitely imagine 600. :)

I have a pretty decent computer and have always added back in the provinces HIP removes/doesn't add in with my own game (at 2049 provinces while in comparison Tianxia which runs fine for me is at 2206). In general many of the games performance issues have dissipated over the past year so there's a bit more leeway with provinces. It'd be no issue to share the map files with you when the time comes.

Last edited:
I don't know, if it's comparable or not, but the Warhammer mod becomes nigh unplayable after one or two centuries, even without the new world. So I'm glad the HIP devs don't want to add endless amount of provinces and keep the great performance.

I don't know, if it's comparable or not, but the Warhammer mod becomes nigh unplayable after one or two centuries, even without the new world. So I'm glad the HIP devs don't want to add endless amount of provinces and keep the great performance.

The amount of events a mod has will play a big part (and how well those events are coded). The GoT mod has several hundred less provinces than vanilla but starts lagging within 50 years. Though yea it probably doesn't help the Warhammer mod you mentioned has 200 more provinces than Tianxia (2422 provinces). In that case I'd say that's pretty damn good that it doesn't start lagging badly till several hundred years in.

Last edited:
The amount of events a mod has will play a big part (and how well those events are coded). The GoT mod has several hundred less provinces than vanilla but starts lagging within 50 years. Though yea it probably doesn't help the Warhammer mod you mentioned has 200 more provinces than Tianxia (2422 provinces). In that case I'd say that's pretty damn good that it doesn't start lagging badly till several hundred years in.

I never had performance issues with the GoT mod, even 2 centuries in. Maybe my 4570k likes events and hates provinces :D

So I'm not that knowledgeable about the SWMH map and I've not really paid much attention to the Tibetan region, except I obviously have noticed that we're only seeing part of India.

With the current map projection and/or the Tibet additions contemplated for SWMH, would that include land that falls under the Western Protectorate that they're adding? Or is that whole question moot bc that's a 769 thing and wouldn't be in SWMH anyway?

So I'm not that knowledgeable about the SWMH map and I've not really paid much attention to the Tibetan region, except I obviously have noticed that we're only seeing part of India.

With the current map projection and/or the Tibet additions contemplated for SWMH, would that include land that falls under the Western Protectorate that they're adding? Or is that whole question moot bc that's a 769 thing and wouldn't be in SWMH anyway?
Yes, by 867 the Tang dynasty's Protectorate to Pacify the West/Anxi had gone defunct for nearly a century. So at the very least it won't appear as an extant entity in 867.

My observation may be wrong, but didn't the next major Chinese presence in the Tarim region after Tang Dynasty, appear only from 1368 onwards with the Ming Dynasty (and thus again outside game timeframe)? And even that extended only to the a pass that would lie at the very edge of the map. Song didn't even have nominal control over the western Gansu area, they mostly abandoned the Silk Road land trade in favour of sea trade from Hangzhou and Guangzhou...and Yuan were instead the Mongols and thus a different thing entirely.

One could use the same system to represent India, although it will be very difficult since for long stretches of time no single dynasty was dominant enough or had control over entirety of the subcontinent. And even that status would change with conditions.

My observation may be wrong, but didn't the next major Chinese presence in the Tarim region after Tang Dynasty, appear only from 1368 onwards with the Ming Dynasty (and thus again outside game timeframe)? And even that extended only to the a pass that would lie at the very edge of the map. Song didn't even have nominal control over the western Gansu area, they mostly abandoned the Silk Road land trade in favour of sea trade from Hangzhou and Guangzhou...and Yuan were instead the Mongols and thus a different thing entirely.

One could use the same system to represent India, although it will be very difficult since for long stretches of time no single dynasty was dominant enough or had control over entirety of the subcontinent. And even that status would change with conditions.

Yea the Song will probably be treated as the 'main' Chinese Dynasty even though they were in no position to have tributaries and paid tribute to the Khitans who were the dominant power in the area until the Jurchen uprising.

I don't really want to start another thread talking about China when we already have one, so I'm going to ask my question here.
To interact with China you must be within their diplomatic range - which extends throughout the entire Silk Road, and through the influence of the Western Protectorate and any Tributaries China might have.
In HIP the Silk Road goes to Egypt, the Levant and Crimea in its farthest points. Does that mean that they, too will be able to communicate with China, or are you guys going to trim this mechanic's range a bit in the mod?

Last edited:

Right, but that is assuming that Chinese history plays out exactly the same regardless of the fact that the player and RNG are creating vast changes on the other side of the world. It would be interesting to have a short range of possible scenarios that detail what-might-have-happened in China over that period, at least in terms of their relation to the rest of the map.