• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AltCentrist

Recruit
21 Badges
Nov 18, 2019
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
Screenshot 2021-03-25 203853.png

Note that the mod doesn't really intend you to play a releasable nation and thus it has less flavor then other nation that were actually meant to be played!

v2_15.png

I released myself from Russia because:
  1. Then they don't get an immediate core on me
  2. They would ally and actually join me against Smolensk
  3. More pops then released by Smolensk
  4. You get a port (not of much use)
This will be it for the beginning and long time after that since it's not that interesting to talk about how I was funding my army 3-4 days a month to get the reinforcements and not go bankrupt.

This is interesting stuff only, so if you came here to get bored, it's time to go!

1.png

At the start of my campaign I declared a war on Smolensk to get myself started which resulted in Smolensk loosing 20k pops to emigration (per day!) at one point.

2.png

Post 1st Expansion War borders (ew)

3.png

Some 36 years later I had beaten Russia, who had annexed Smolensk previously because of Russian unification rebels a month after the 1st Expansion War, so hard that not only did their puppet Vitebsk have a democratic revolution and had broken free, but IT WON A WAR AGAINST RUSSIA WITHOUT ANY FOREIGN INTERFERENCE!

4.png

Meanwhile Russia had 2 PRETTY POWERFUL ALLIES ON ITS SIDE (Hispania and Armenia)!

Also a thing to note here is that Vitebsk's flag IS A CHAD! This is literally chad democratic Vitebsk beating a coalition of 3 powerful countries... ON ITS OWN.

Just look at the war score (-26.40 for Vitebsk) and military power difference (Vitebsk: 14 vs Russia Restoration Alliance: 262, that's a 18.7 times difference!)

ChadVitebsk.png

Considering how the Flag of Vitebsk looks, I had to do it.

5.png

My THICC endgame name placement.

6.png

Russian Republic is my puppet now. This is why you must always invest in all countries ALL THE TIME. Also a bit gory borders, but I wouldn't go over the infamy limit. I took what I could get.

For those who don't know: if a country goes communist and nationalizes its investments, the investor gets a "Make Puppet" cb (not in all mods though).
7.png

Ural Italy)

Sphere Naples > Click a button > Profit!

8.png

Bought Alaska (or Halesca as it's called in this mod) and released it for infamy reasons.

It sadly didn't get much immigration(

9.png

Endgame cores

After a while I started declining events that offer me to core stuff in the far east and Siberia, since it's more infamy then it's worth (2 per state) and culturally pretty much fully Russian anyways.

10.png

Cores pt. 2 (don't mind that war with China)

11.png

Endgame Ural State map with Russian Republic and Helesca as puppets

12.png

Endgame world map

This mod is a lot of fun, go play it!

Thanks to Savs for working on this beauty (u/Savolainen5 for redditors out there)

13.png

The main part is now over, now for some additional editorial remarks (or just me rambling about why I should've been able to annex Russia proper)

This mod does have a well-implemented increased infamy reduction (additional -.05 for all great powers), but it was still not enough to get me Russia. And while that may not have been exclusively because of infamy reduction¹ I still think that if two countries have THE SAME PRIMARY² CULTURE and one is A SPHERED PUPPET OF THE OTHER that annexation makes sense. There are Russian Unification rebels, but if they win the only thing they do is to annex the country to THE Russia (Russian Tsardom as the start; the country I puppeted). And since Russia can't be annexed into Russia (duh), they don't even appear there (even if the country just switched gov. typed 3 times in 1 year, which happened after Russia went to war with Poland to take Kiev). The mod also has Patriot rebels type³. The 2 "Russias" in the beginning have content/flavor (talking about the Russian Tsardom and Smolensk, I don't think their puppets have flavor). I looked at all decisions and events involving annexation (looking for the `inherit`  line) and none of them are possible to execute as the Ural State, so I made myself a cultural union⁴ just to see how the map would look like.

Why did I stop playing in 1894? There are definitely challenges to overcome (getting Russian settlers in my stated colonies in Mongolia and Kazakhstan) and wars to be fought (me owning Sakhalin with Japanese cores is prone to cause conflict), but with conquering the rest of Russia and cleaning up the Chinese border as my only goals infamy-wise, I would rather play a game as a country that actually has actual content.

¹ I used every possible opportunity until around 1880 to declare on intervene or get called by an ally against Russia, which kept me in a war with decreased infamy for long periods of time. if i hadn't done that Russia would have crushed me very quickly: more pops, bigger army, allies, cores on the parts of Smolensk I took and no other places for me to expand into besides Siberia. And no I wouldn't be able to reach China that way, Russia gets cores on Siberia. There an only be one Russia and the mod shows that.

² I would have written accepted if it wasn't for Russia accepting Tatars and me also accepting more people like Belorussians, Ukrainians and Ugrians.

³ They work like this: break free, join country with that accepted culture. e.g. if a state in Poland were to get occupied by Ukrainian Patriots, I would get that state because the Ural State has Ukrainian as accepted.

⁴ Cultural union tags can get an event that you can see in the picture if they have a sphereling of their culture group. That way if Germany were to sphere Bavaria, Bavaria would eventually get annexed. That event is expected to fire once a year if the conditions are met. There are rules and exceptions for this, but if you want to know more look at the code, this is a vanilla event (event id - 60120).

14.png

Border with Russian Republic annexed.

I'd take Kiev back from Poland, 2 small provinces that Lithuania for some reason has cores on leaving Lithuania proper intact and take 2 states from BIG FINLAND with a bunch of accepted Ugrians, but that's would put me in a rabbit hole of hypotheticals and I solve practical problems)

15.png

The true borders of the Ural State

Hope you enjoyed this little AAR (?). By the time I'm finishing this I am no longer sure if this can be considered an After Action Report, but let's call it that.

Also first time posting anything here, hope I didn't break any rules.

If you have any, questions, I will try to answer all of them.

After posting I noticed that only Smolensk emigration was showing up in the attachments, not sure why.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2,6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Welcome to AARland!

Nice report, looks like you had a fun game. HtA is not a mod I've ever played, but there have been some great campaigns written up in the past using the mods I'm sort of at home with the lore. Would love to see another write up if you do go on to play someone with more content.

Is there anything particular about the Urals that drew you to them?

Welcome to AARland!

Nice report, looks like you had a fun game. HtA is not a mod I've ever played, but there have been some great campaigns written up in the past using the mods I'm sort of at home with the lore. Would love to see another write up if you do go on to play someone with more content.

Is there anything particular about the Urals that drew you to them?
hi and sry for a delayed answer, i'm not much of a pdx forum user myself.

when i play a new alt-history mod the first thing to do for me is usually take a look at the countries with the most interesting accepted cultures and have a casual game with them to see how the mod plays out. the 2 "normal" russias have only russian accepted while ural also has ukranian and byelorussian, which also allowed me to core some of the ukranian provinces i took from them. i bet the tsardom of russia can get them accepted, but where's the fun in doing that when you can get them accepted day 1?)

since making that mini-AAR i also checked out aengland, who can unite the isles and form albia, but i am way more interested in luxembourg, which surprisingly has content, we'll be it meme "get cores on all of france, germany and wallonia if are a gp" content.

but for my next playthrough i would like to go back to vanilla and either play congo or israel, which are a bit tricky to even play as since they can only get cores later on in the game (1880 for congo and 1870 for israel)

Reactions: