• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Camara

General
94 Badges
Dec 28, 2008
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
I was thinking that some things should be changed from CK1. This is to discuss most about historical errors, and just some minor gameplay changes (to existing things, this thread is not about introducing new things).

Historical changes/fixes
- The title of Duke of Porto did not exist in the medieval ages. Instead, a correct title was Duke of Portugal (before 1094 in Portugal several titles were used, as Count, Duke and Grand-Duke - but Duke of Portugal is just fine for CK).
- The title of King of Galicia should exist, as it existed in reality in this timeframe.

Other changes
- Marry a ruling women? Yeah, it seams an exploit, but c'mon, it existed. Maybe you have to pay a lot, have lots of prestige and piety? But I think it should definitively be possible.
- The Emperor titles, but this is being discussed in the "4th tier" thread.

Say what historical things you would fix, as I didn't play CK much and/or don't know much about it.

In CK1 you can marry a female ruler.

What you couldn't do was marry a male ruler with a female ruler. This had nothing to do with it not being historical, but it was a limitation of the engine (females move to their husbands courts when they marry, which with female-rules will cause a crash).

What you couldn't do was marry a male ruler with a female ruler. This had nothing to do with it not being historical, but it was a limitation of the engine (females move to their husbands courts when they marry, which with female-rules will cause a crash).

Oh, I didn't know that, that actually makes sense now that you said it. Anyway, it's a fix by Clausewitz :cool:

Your liege should not declare war on you for no reason. Playing as a vassal should not be a paranoid experience where you have to constantly save in case you randomly lose the game this month.

It would also be nice if, when playing as a large empire, I didn't have to be bothered by three counties on the far side of the continent swearing fealty to me and then declaring independence from me every five minutes.

Basically, I want better AI.

Your liege should not declare war on you for no reason. Playing as a vassal should not be a paranoid experience where you have to constantly save in case you randomly lose the game this month.

It would also be nice if, when playing as a large empire, I didn't have to be bothered by three counties on the far side of the continent swearing fealty to me and then declaring independence from me every five minutes.

Basically, I want better AI.

True. I didn't play much but I hated when I had to put my vassals in their place militarly after they declare independence like every month. It's very annoying and doesn't let me grow to the size of other kingdoms.

not being able to assign counts within a Dukes region to a pre-extisting Duke, but having to take away the dukes title and re-give it to him at the cost of a countrywide loyality hit in order to give him another vassal was terrible. And a little button 'assign to duke' could do that.

And the Liege-Liegelord bond should be tighter and warmer, hopefully co-ordinated rebellions with goals [V2 wargoals for many vassals working together in a single rebellion for backing a claimant or brining in a law change [i.e Anarchy, Magna Carter]] will be in and getting rid of the constant rebellion thing

True. I didn't play much but I hated when I had to put my vassals in their place militarly after they declare independence like every month. It's very annoying and doesn't let me grow to the size of other kingdoms.
I don't want to start an argument here, but loyalty changes didn't just come from nowhere. There are reasons why particular vassals (or all of them, sometimes) became increasingly independent. This isn't something requiring a "fix" in the new game, in my opinion.

not being able to assign counts within a Dukes region to a pre-extisting Duke, but having to take away the dukes title and re-give it to him at the cost of a countrywide loyality hit in order to give him another vassal was terrible. And a little button 'assign to duke' could do that.

I don't think that was possible historically, so why should it be possible in game?

because the game works on the basis of pre-defined districts, and if you want an organised kingdom, you have no counts as vassals just dukes and it makes the game a hell of alot easier and more fun.

Each duke has a duchy, an area on the map thoughout the whole game which is set as the area of that duchy's authority.

If you want a historically plausible reason for it.
say that its not the royal demisine, but a county held by the person of the king as a vassal of the duke, in the same way the King of England was a vassal of France only in reugards to that one title, and so by giving a count that land you should be able to have the vassal of yours in that duchy be organised under the duke not you.

Say you as the King of England holds the County of Durham, should you be able to grant that title to your cousin and then grant the Duke of Northumbria [Northumberland maybe? my games heavily modded i cant remember what it was to start with] his rightful authority by granting the preexisting Count of Durham as vassal of the Duke of Northumbria.
As Durham is geographically within the Duchy of Northumbria.

It would make keeping your kingdom's organisation clear and tidy alot easier without creating really powerful dukes [as in CK you cant grant that land to someone in your own court if you want it not to be your vassal but the dukes. Do you give it to the Duke who then keeps it.]
and so it would be a boon to players who want to keep their country organised. And if you rule half of europe thats a must.

I can think of one and this is a easy fix. In the political mapmode, give a different shade to those demesnes that are directly ruled by your ruler.

Right now I always have to play in the diplomatic mapmode to know that. It's not good when you have so many vassals around your own demesnes and you forget which ones you own.

It's been mentioned before but anyways: If you have a claim on another count within the same kingdom (Possibly this could be extended to other kingdoms too, but not really suppourtive of it my self), you should be able to declare war and duke it out, without your liege interfering, (Ofcourse it should be possible for the liege to intervene, just not every time.)

This has probably been fixed long ago in one of the expansions/mods, but the 'you make peace and your vassals continue the war' thing has gotta go.

Hmmmm... Too boil it all down into one key issue, I would have to say a far superior AI and one with personalities I could assign to different kingdoms at the start of the game.

The ability to make a vassal the vassal of one of your other vassals. Provinces that can be coded to belong to more than one kingdom or duchy. Better courtier management (your court becomes full of way too many insignificant people with events firing that you don't care about). Having a friend in the Papacy be relevant, as well as an enemy.

Not having to build a superpower of unhistorical dimensions to be able to cope with the arrival of the Mongols and keep them from running all over the map would be a game saver for me. Also army managment need to be improved like avoiding to put army maintanence on zero when your liege calls up your army. But of course he should pay the army not you.

because the game works on the basis of pre-defined districts, and if you want an organised kingdom, you have no counts as vassals just dukes and it makes the game a hell of alot easier and more fun.

Each duke has a duchy, an area on the map thoughout the whole game which is set as the area of that duchy's authority.

If you want a historically plausible reason for it.
say that its not the royal demisine, but a county held by the person of the king as a vassal of the duke, in the same way the King of England was a vassal of France only in reugards to that one title, and so by giving a count that land you should be able to have the vassal of yours in that duchy be organised under the duke not you.

Say you as the King of England holds the County of Durham, should you be able to grant that title to your cousin and then grant the Duke of Northumbria [Northumberland maybe? my games heavily modded i cant remember what it was to start with] his rightful authority by granting the preexisting Count of Durham as vassal of the Duke of Northumbria.
As Durham is geographically within the Duchy of Northumbria.

It would make keeping your kingdom's organisation clear and tidy alot easier without creating really powerful dukes [as in CK you cant grant that land to someone in your own court if you want it not to be your vassal but the dukes. Do you give it to the Duke who then keeps it.]
and so it would be a boon to players who want to keep their country organised. And if you rule half of europe thats a must.

I am in total agreement here. I have had to cope with this by either directly editing the save game file or assigning all ducal titles to my heir, who then gives all titles to his heir on succession. The AI in CK1 also tends to create one-province duchies with no vassals, which I find very aggravating. I want dukes to work like Iberian viceroys or English royal lieutenants to France or Ireland: being able to rule their domains without bothering the king except in big issues.