• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(581785)

Corporal
1 Badges
Oct 28, 2012
  • A Game of Dwarves
Here's my first casual fortress. The one were I actually build a great hall and dwarves aren't squished up against each other because it's 'efficient' :p

Inspired by the last post, I actually made mine into a movie.

This is probably why I shouldn't make movies... I spent a few hours tweaking the audio and microphone levels just to be heard, taped a pair of pantyhose to my mic because the ruddy thing didn't come with a pop filter and I still got cracking and useless noise. x.x Maybe later I'll re-record it, but this was my third re-recording already.

Anyways, here's some pictures if you prefer the quicker version :)

Welcome to uh... Blue Tree clan. I'm not sure why we dwarves are associating themselves with trees and not something warrior-like but there ya go. My father is head record keeper of Gold Tree Clan so.... you get the idea... Hint, Hint- more tapestries please.
entrance1.jpg

entrance.jpg

shrine.jpg

Here is the food production area. Usually I have the farmers off by themselves so some lazy dwarfling or bored warrior won't steal their bed, but when building the fortress I had put up ladders so the crafters could come help build the house. It seems someone has gotten into the habit of throwing parties...
garden.jpg

The house I built with the utmost aesthetics that a worker can have. They even have a bathtub. How luxurious for one that works with dirt all day!
gardnerhouse.jpg

The tree farmer's house also has a few more luxuries than perhaps a simple tree farmer should. Perhaps he has been too frivolous with the gold rate on wood. I'll have to see about confiscating that large, expensive stature that is clearly not necessary. He was told to keep some wood on hand for the clan in case something happens to the trees. That space is for wood storage not useless statues! I swear these two farmers are just trying to outdo each other in how fancy they can make their living quarters.
woodcutterhouse1.jpg

woodcutter2.jpg

The man that tends the mushroom farm is an odd one indeed. Thankfully unlike the other farmers, he is less interested in filling his house with shiny bits and keeps his place a lot more practical. He is very grumpy though and not a pleasant person to deal with.
mushroomman.jpg

THIS is where the parties should be held! The main hall of the fortress. It is where the prince entertains dignitaries, officials and other important things. Among him is a counsel of four to make sure his head doesn't get too big or he doesn't make any rash decision that could jeopardize the entire clan.
mainhall.jpg

The prince's favorite place apparently...
kitchen.jpg

And the accompanying larder which.. kinda looks more like a slaughterhouse at the moment.
larder.jpg

The barracks are simple. I guess warriors are less interested in trying to keep up with some notion of wealth and actually on doing their jobs protecting the city thank goodness!
barracks.jpg

The captain gets nicer quarters though. Nicer quarters come with more responsibility like filing accident reports...
captain.jpg

The main hallway of the treasure room where tributes are kept
treasure.jpg

Tributes of the sister clans, Red Tree and Green Tree. Could we get iron or stone doors to put all this fabulous treasure behind? Wood is pretty faulty when one has a match or a hatchet. I know I wouldn't want to store my treasure behind one.
tributes.jpg

Instead of showing off like the main hall is designed to be, the prince understands more of what it's meant to keep it simple. The simple walls are a reminder to not lose your stone sense.
prince.jpg

Feel like touring the catacombs? Many... accidents happened during the construction of this fortress. If you are looking for a relative, that book lists what area to go to to find the tomb. If lighting a candle somehow helps ease your grief, you are free to do so.
tomb.jpg

innocence.jpg

warriortomb.jpg

The workshop is rather displaced from everything in an attempt to have other dwarves not steal the bed.... Keeping the researcher working quickly is of utmost importance.
workshop.jpg

As you can guess, I ran out of steam here with the deco. I wanted to do the workshop in the elven style floors and walls but alas, this map had none. :( Many things in this fortress are not craftable and it's really irritating to have to dig needless holes that distract from the glory of the fortress to go look for them.

Great game, BTW. Totally worth the price.

Very nice! I really dig :)rolleyes:) the elevated garden area and how you made use of the crystal. Clever!

also - can't see your movie, as it is pivate. :(

Whoops. Fixed I think. ^_^;

Using the crystal was purely by accident. I was digging the ceiling and it just fell into the room. Nothing much else I can do but make it part of the room. It does get a little frustrating at times with the number of immovable things like the crystal and spawn point. I'd love for it to just be one tile over... XD I did find an awesome spot for the garden though. :)

Really nice, keep the good work up!

Love the look. Looks especially good in the video. Thanks for sharing.

Note to self: Please watch the whole thing and not just assume that your outtakes were removed. XD Oh man, that's embarrassing. I don't even have the files anymore so I can't fix it ;_; Well, that's enough of an inspiration to go work on what Red Tree clan might look like so I can make a better video. This time I'm going to go with a small map and see what I can come up with :) Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Very nice dwarven halls and very nice movie tour. Can't wait for your next works! :)

And btw i haven't played custom games yet, but isn't there an option to craft the non-dwarven stuff yourself? Or doesn't that unlock every single item?

Very nice dwarven halls and very nice movie tour. Can't wait for your next works! :)

And btw i haven't played custom games yet, but isn't there an option to craft the non-dwarven stuff yourself? Or doesn't that unlock every single item?

It doesn't unlock every single item. But it unlocks many non dwarven items, that look very cool mein freund!

I was under the impression that the items end up getting unlocked as you find event rooms that have those items for the case where they are not already unlocked in the beginning. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Anyway, looking forward to the next video.

The Place arround the "Spawn Point" looks really nice and is good combined with the Surroundings (i think i should take some of your Creations as a example:wub: ) , i also like the consistent surroundings, it's like everything fits to each other.