• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
More comments! Astounding!

Prussia Rules: Thanks for showing up! Maybe in the brief interim you can catch up.

Qorten: I honestly don't know how to get a custom avatar :eek:o The next update I want to be perfect, so I am taking my sweet old time, that and the fact that I am doing the library, another AAR, and "All the news about Rome plus some" thread. I am a very busy man.

and btw, why all my images disappearing, first it was only two, now almost all my images from imageshack are disappearing! Gah!

Dunno for sure but I heard it was down some time ago. Check if your screenies/images are still there. Or maybe you placed them somewhere else on your computer, which causes the links to break. I use Photobucket myself. I find it handier then Imageshack.

Ask anyone with a custom avatar how they got it, and you'll know how to get one yourself! :)

I've some ideas for my own, but I'll have to spam some more posts to get there. :D

Chapter 23
Pisa

churchxm7.png

Pisa, in all its grandeur and beauty, had befallen chaos. God had been holding it delicacy in his hands over a boiling pot. And in some sick joke, decided to drop it and watch it fall in despair and burn. Now Pisa was plunged into darkness. No one trusted their neighbor and everyone looked over their backs. Only the brave or the foolish would wander the night streets. One could die from looking another in a wrong way.

The ruling Ghibellines had been in control over the prosperous city. But with the return of the Guelphs, which brought destruction and political conflict, the future is uncertain for anyone. Prominent members of the council are being hastily disposed of or fleeing, yet the main populace rejects the Guelphs, preferring to have stability rather than upheaval. Boudy and Ivan are about to be caught in the middle of an inter-city war.

Tables were deserted and chairs, empty. Barmaids stood around, busying themselves with meaningless chores. The tables had been cleaned an uncountable amount of times and the floor swept until there wasn’t a dust particle on it. A shine would have been evident if the city itself wasn’t so gloomy. Finally, finding nothing else to do, some of them went upstairs to catch some shuteye, a rarity when they had to work.

Boudy looked around, he was the only one in the bar, except the two men that flanked him, but they weren’t patrons, only guards guarding him from escaping. In front of him sat a half-empty glass of wine, which Boudy started to swirl around, watching the memorizing pattern.

When The Dutchman’s Pleasure docked for resupplying, everything looked fine, and maybe it was, but it wasn’t until they finished docking and had set up a deal with a trader, did they notice something was wrong. What at first seemed to be a family feud between the Ghibellines and the Gulphs was actually a war between factions. The only information that Boudy was able to get was that the Ghibellines supported the Holy Roman Empire while the Gluphs pledged themselves to the Papacy. Apparently, this was a centuries old dispute, which hasn’t been resolved.

A man opened the door to the bar. Barmaids jumped, but regained their composure and asked if the man wanted a drink. He talked in a whisper and eagerly looked around the room when his eyes fell on Boudy. Wondering why this man was gazing at him, Boudy’s heart quickened, he had heard stories that some of crew told when they went out. They told of men that could look at you and determine whether they wanted to kill you or not. Boudy quickly lowered his eyes and returned to his wine glass.

A tap came on Boudy’s shoulder. Cautiously looking over the shoulder, he saw the man standing there. Trying to act calm, Boudy respectively didn’t make eye contact.

“Wine, what kind of choice is that,” came the man.

Boudy didn’t answer and kept up not looking at the man, but instead, looked at the man’s nicely tailored clothes.

“Not speaking, understandable. I have been looking for you. Your name is Captain Boudewijin Kuijper, right?”

At that moment, Boudy had been taking a sip of wine, but when he heard that, he nearly choked. “Ackem, I am Boudewijin.”

“Good, so glad to hear that, a friend of mine told me you were the captain of a worthy ship. Look, I have a proposition for you.” The man came up next to Boudy and motioned for the guard to move. He did so, and the stranger took his seat. Next, he motioned for the guards to stand in the corner, and they did so, without a second of hesitation. They must have heard of the stories too. The barmaids returned to him with a glass of red wine, which he gratefully took. Boudy knew that he was in no position to refuse this person’s proposal.

“First, let me introduce myself, I am council member Guglielmo di Buonaparte.” Guglielmo outstretched his hand, which Boudy was almost reluctant to shake, in fear of the consequences, but did so anyways; better to have an ally than an enemy. “My plan is simple, take me aboard your ship and transport me to Corsica. You will be paid. No questions asked.”

Boudy couldn’t think of what could go wrong so he shook Guglielmo’s hand again and confirmed the deal.

“Good, great, now we just have to leave before the Guelphs find me.” Guglielmo stood up with his wine glass and started for the door. “Oh, and before I forget, meet me on the docks tonight. Me and my family will be there.”

Boudy was a little concerned, but not much since having a council member put his trust in you, boosts your self-esteem. The council member left and the guards returned next to him. The barmaids went back to being bored and Boudy went back to his drink. He drank the rest of the wine and refused anymore.

Being pessimistic wasn’t working for Boudy, it was either that or being depressed. He was looking for a quick getaway, but everything seems to be failing or has failed. That is why he put he trust into the council member; it was Boudy’s card up his sleeve, hoping that he will be influential enough so that Boudy and his crew can get out of this mess. Even if Guglielmo didn’t have the power by himself, he could probably contact his political friends so that they could band together and bail out Boudy and the crew. Then Boudy got miserable again. Why would a bunch of authoritative men, unite to save a condemned lowly captain?

All of a sudden the door burst open and a yell came from outside. “Mercenaries at the gate. A thousand of them and they look like trouble. Ivan Gorensky heads them. And by god, they have gained access to the city. They have access to the city! That is all we need, more turmoil.”

Boudy hastily stood. Ivan Gorensky and mercenaries. How? Why? When? Boudy’s head was reeling, his friend dealt him another blow, and why? That was what he couldn’t figure out. Why is Ivan doing all these things?

[post=8373331]Previous Chapter: Assessment[/post] | Next Chapter: Confrontation​

Last edited:
A little disclaimer:

Those Italian history buffs might recognize that this event is 250 years late and in the wrong spot, it happened in Florence.

In my defense. Not only does this event fit perfectly with this AAR, but it makes a great story to tell, not to mention I get to mention Guglielmo di Buonaparte, Napoleon's great-great-etc grandfather.

I hope you like it, and sorry for it being late.

EDIT: And this strangely has to do with a lot of the ending of this.

Aha! Now we find out the real story of Napoleon. His forefathers actually came from Pisa. Must be fate. He probably wouldn't have gotten so far with Italy as he did with France.

Interesting nonetheless XD Though I kept thinking some exiled Poet was going to write a harrowing tale about it XD

Qorten: Actually the Bonapartes did come from Italy, though florence and in the 14th century ;)

canonized: Don't worry, the ending wasn't given away :D

Also I gave a shot at avatar making. Didn't come out too good :(

suppose to be a ship with a Netherland flag below it.

Chapter 24
Death is the Beginning

endingzs9.png

Boudy shivered. Snow fell at a rate that one couldn’t stick their hand out and see it. By itself, it wasn’t bad, but when you factored in the wind, it was unbearable. Without the warmth of the sun the temperature plummeted to where any exposed skin would be tortured until frost bitten.

There was a pile of sticks that laid before him. They were supposed to be on fire, but Boudy was too cold and tired to light them with the limited fuel left. He reached for his water canister and gave it a soft squeeze. Frozen. And so was the last of the food, a half-ate apple. Boudy could never throw away the last of what he prized. The apple reminded him of home and of his past friends. Deciding that an apple wasn’t the only thing worth living for, Boudy quietly laid down into the soft snow and waited for it to gently take him away.

A sharp jabbing kept occurring on his chest. Boudy slowly opened his eyes to see that all of his lower body was covered with snow and that his head was the only part of him that protruded from the snow, which had subsided. The jabbing was coming from a stick, which as boy held, though the boy stopped once Boudy opened his eyes.

They starred at each other, both confused by the other. Noticing that they boy had something steaming in his hands, Boudy whispered in fluent Russian, “warmth…”

The boy looked at his hands and held them close to his fur coat. He gazed at Boudy in a weird way. Boudy knew that he understood him, having the adventure taught him a thing or two about life. All the boy did was shake his head, whether it was in pity, regret, or in greed, Boudy didn’t know, he was too tired to interpret anyone’s behavior. Looking around, the boy headed into the woods and disappeared into the snow.

There was a groan. The only thing that he wanted was warmth, food or water were of no use to him now. More than warmth, was feeling not to be lonely. He had been alone for so long now, it was hard to keep track of the days and weeks without human contact. Now the boy had come and gone and he had missed his chance, his only chance to talk with someone before he died. There was so much that he wanted to tell the kid, even if he only sat there with a blank look, but, alas, there was no strength left to have a conversation. There was nothing to do but to accept defeat, but Boudy thought he accepted that long ago. It was confusing and made his head hurt, until finally there was no strength left to think. With the last ounce of life, he sputtered, “Glad that Ivan decided to change his mind.” Boudy shivered and fell asleep forever.

Snow fell upon this man. A man of no position or power, condemned to die. Befriended betrayers, liars, and pretenders. Drank alcohol and cracked jokes. Escaped prison and freed prisoners. Commanded a ship and had a family. Loved the world and at the same time was scared by it.

Snow fell upon this man. A man who done considerable things in his life time. Fought in three wars and was captain of a ship. Befriended cardinals and stoop up to wrong. Saved a council member from certain death and was the mastermind behind the biggest jailbreak that Rome has ever seen.

Snow fell upon this man. Some people call him ordinary, some call him extraordinary. Despite everything he did in life, he would not be remembered for these, but instead of all the events that followed. This man is the cause behind one who would lead a war across Europe.

***​

Napoleon paced the room, which was private to him and a select others. An advisor stood there with a baffled look on his face.

The advisor tried to calm his friend down, “Emperor—“

“Quiet,” Napoleon shot, “I must think.”

“But sir, don’t you think you should be planning.” The advisor took a step towards Napoleon.

The emperor stopped and turned to face his advisor, “what did I just say?” The pacing continued.

Quickly taking two steps back, the advisor looked for an exit route.

“Why, why, why, I conquered Europe in the effort to gain all the information I can about him, but when I get to his resting spot, I have to retreat.” Napoleon was furious, the usual for the past days. It was the same story, but apparently, Napoleon was obsessed about it. Only the closest of friends knew about it, but for Napoleon, the demand of friends outweighed the supply.

Knowing that the only way to calm Napoleon was to question about the story, so he asked, “Tell me about the famous story, make sure that you don’t leave any detail out.”

Again, Napoleon stopped and faced his advisor who gulped. “I have told you time after time…. No matter, it can’t hurt none, and it will ease my mind.” There was a moment as he arranged his thoughts and continued pacing. “Captain Boudewijin Kuijper, it has a ring to it doesn’t it? Well that is what my ancestors though. This story had been handed down countless times, and I am the only one to truly to find the man who has captivated my family for years.

Guglielmo di Buonaparte started this all. He happened to be a council member who was fleeing the city of Pisa and he happened to stumble across Boudy, his nickname. They quickly realized that there was an unrealistic connection between the two, so they quickly became friends and told the other their life’s story. So on the way over to Corsica, Boudy explained everything and since Guglielmo was a council member, he wrote down much of Boudy’s words as he could jot down. Once arriving in Corsica, they said good-bye to each other and that they would never forget the other. After some time, my family wondered what had become of their friend and so starts the Bonaparte hunt for information. It was also a quest to see how they could repay their debt to him. After all, he is the one that saved my family, without him there would be no me.

Unlike my forefathers, who had used peaceful measure, I used military might, as any other method was too time consuming. I first started in Italy where his adventure began. Then the trail led me to his hometown in Netherlands and that is where I found out he had gone to Spain and visited the king, so naturally I had to go to Spain and make out the truth. Eventually I swept across Europe, following trail after trail, until I received the position of his death in Russia. Then using all my might to push through I desperately hoped to find his grave and have this adventure over. However, I was defeated and will never have that chance again. Therefore, I have failed my family’s mission, which has been there for the last couple centuries.”

Napoleon stopped and stuck his finger in the air in resolution, “I have shamed my family, country, ad the world. Now, into exile I go.” He started briskly walking out the room. The advisor gaped, nothing was new expect for the last part, which scared him. How can one family be so obsessed about one ordinary man, that they are willing to conquer Europe just to find information? He shook his head in disbelief, anger, and resentment. How Napoleon could be committed to such an insignificant quest, was beyond the advisor’s imagination. That didn’t change the one thing that the advisor concluded.

Captain Boudewijin Kuijper had changed the world.

The End

*claps hands* -- wow! Thank you, for your brilliant aar, well-written and extremely intriguing. Actually, it's the first narrative aar I have read from start to finish! Usually I am too lazy to read all those long text passages, but yours flowed along and were a pleasure to read. Excellent story!

Thank you again, and very well done! Now, when can we expect your next EU3 aar? Or are you staking your claim in the Rome subforum, as to avoid the narrative competition in here? ;)

Excellent story, comagoosie! A sudden and unexpected ending, but well-written. Let's hope we don't have to wait too long for your next EU3 AAR.

safferli: Thanks a million for sticking with me through thick and thin. I really don't deserve fans like you. When I finish my Rome AAR (which I plan for it to be done in mid-summer). I will then try a less "epic" AAR, as I have learned my lesson.

Qorten: What can I say. I didn't want to leave this AAR, but I also didn't have the time to continue, so I had to terminate it. I feel bad but then at the same time, relieved.