• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tem_Probe

Lord Marshal
82 Badges
Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Greetings!

I've been a fan of the Napoleon's Ambition scenarios in MP for their intensity and quick setup for a long hardcore battle scenario. However, a number of things bothered me:

*The basic setup was simplistic and ahistorical. Resuming the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars into a single 25-year long battle between FRA-HOL vs ENG-PRU-HAB-RUS-SAV is entertaining, but neither realistic(it took 6 Coalition to beat Napoleon, not a single drawn-out long war) nor historical(Spain switched sides twice, Russia was neutral for a while, etc.).
*The initial setup got imbalanced as soon as the game started when the "defenders of status quo"(Prussia and Austria) rushed to annex every German minors before France had an opportunity to expand.
*Exception made of Spain, which has a colonial empire to worry about, and can be easily affected by rebels from stabhits, it seems that the scenario encourages avoiding battles for the coalition and ceding territory as often as possible. France could literally obtain 99 WS, occupying Vienna and Berlin, and the Germans would keep avoiding engagement, letting the French attrit, until eventually the manpower math turned against France and forced it to retreat to France and eventually be defeated. There was very little incentive to try to resist actively and very little incentive to accept peace deals short of total occupation.
*England would routinely raise a 300k army in Europe ( :rolleyes: ) than take Paris with little French opposition.

And not to mention the most important:
*Napoleon's Ambition would be SOO much cooler if we played it on the new maps :D

----

With no further preambule, I introduce publicly the projet I've been working on since this summer every week: my brand spanking new, Napoleon's Ambition based on the WATK maps. The first MP game will be done this weekend, on saturday.

It is far from complete as it is(mostly the event set I'm working on), but right now it supports from the beginning of the Revolutionary Wars (The First Coalition - 1792 is the starting date) to the end of the Egyptian Campaign. By this weekend, I expect to have the basic eventset for the 2nd Coalition to be in place(up to 1801). Roughly 10 years of supported gameplay, considering we will be playing on slow most of the time, I expect approx. 2h30-3h of gameplay.

----

Date & Time: Saturday December 9th. Right after EGA session (where I am comitted), or in other words, 18h30 GMT (13h30 EST).

Number of Players needed: 8-11

Required:
France
Great Britain
Holland
Spain
Austria
Prussia
Russia
Ottoman Empire

There is also room for a Portugal(who fought on the side of Spain during First Coalition war) and possibly battle-intense short-lived Savoy and Poland. USA and Sweden for the moment have too little events to be support-worthy.

--------------------
I'd like to thank Kasperus(for doing the map), the_genius & casluerj for designing South America on my behalf, Gaius Marius & the Blood & Iron forum for providing me with both privacy and a place to upload my files, as well as MP friends who tested earlier versions in SP. Of course, those who helped me get first pick of countries, but all are welcome to apply.

Game rules, screenshots and event information will follow shortly.

Game Rules
They are relatively straightforward:

*No pirates
*No mercenaries
*No stabhits, no ahistorical peace treaties - you must peace when the appropriate events trigger
*No AI gobbling: Declaration of Wars and Peaces are handled via the event system. This means that Prussia-Austria will not be rushing to annex Saxony and Bavaria for example. Nation deaths(i.e: Poland) are triggered per event system as always.
*The Coalition must ban its allies whenever peaces are concluded, as I'm not sure if a break-alliance system will work well.

Event information:
There are currently 88 historical events most of them hand-designed, with more in-progress for this weekend, and much more planned. They include major historical events(Ex: The Execution of King Louis, The Reign of Terror, Levée en Masse, etc.), War events (Austrian Ultimatum, France declares war on Great Britain and Holland, etc.), Annexation events (France annexes Belgium and the Rhineland, France annexes Nice, etc.), Peace Events (Treaty of Basel, Treaty of Campo Formio, The Batavian Republic, etc.) as well as flavor events(Metric System, Treason in Toulon, etc.). I've also included some ahistorical results for probable situation(Syria in French hands and the following event tree, in the event of France successfully occupying Acre and Damascus, where Nappy in his Egyptian campaign was stopped by England-Ottoman forces)

Be careful to pay attention to the events ;)

I have split up Napoleon into 4 leaders. Napoleon is a general during the First Coalition, a conquistador that appears in Egypt, then the traditional monarch that reappears in Europe after his retreat from Egypt. There is also a 4th, ahistorical Napoleon if he does not flee Egypt(which implies he won in the first place), although I advise not taking that route since the event tree is not completed there.

What this will require: A Watk 3.1 mod installed with the fix, NOT 3.11 which was released yesterday since I haven't looked at the change and have no clue what impact it will have on my mod. It will also require the eventfile which shall be made public later this week, when I'm done with the pre-game updates.

Last edited:
Screenshots
Europe:

Asia:

America:

PS: Yes, before someone asks me, it was intentional to have Louisiana as Spanish. That is historically correct in 1792, and will be handled by an event.

Last edited:
I just want to give you (again) a "public" congratulation. Awesome job!

I'd love to be able to be in the first public MP, however, you pick exactly the only date that I probably wont be able to. Good luck thou. And do not forget to post here an AAR about the session. ;)

Damnit, now that I read through those posts I just wanna play even though the time isnt exactly right. Although I might be able to squeeze some time in and if you want you can hold a position anywhere for me, provided you lack players or somesuch. :)

EDIT: How long do you think a session will take? Same time as a regular Nappy?

There is also room for a Portugal(who fought on the side of Spain during First Coalition war) and possibly battle-intense short-lived Savoy and Poland. USA and Sweden for the moment have too little events to be support-worthy.

Actually, Portugal fought the first coalition (together with Spain and Great Britain against the revolutionary France), second coalition (see war of the oranges, where both Spain and France agreed on a combined attack on Portugal, although France never arrived as promised) and fifth coalition (Peninsular wars - Portugal got invaded, the king fled to brazil, Lisbon was ocupied for one year, Wellington took it back, France invaded Portugal for another 3 times but always lost). Portugal fought more wars, not only the first one coalition matey. ;)

I dont know which events for portugal you got, but i hope you included the lines of torres vedras - perhaps the best fortification of the era. Not even Massena, Junot or Soult managed to get past them, despite having a lot more soldiers.

About leaders - did you add any? There are lot of leaders that eu2 didnt include. Specially for the OE.

If you need help regarding events/leaders (for portugal at least), i think i could lend you a hand.

BurningEGO said:
Actually, Portugal fought the first coalition (together with Spain and Great Britain against the revolutionary France), second coalition (see war of the oranges, where both Spain and France agreed on a combined attack on Portugal, although France never arrived as promised) and fifth coalition (Peninsular wars - Portugal got invaded, the king fled to brazil, Lisbon was ocupied for one year, Wellington took it back, France invaded Portugal for another 3 times but always lost). Portugal fought more wars, not only the first one coalition matey. ;)

Yeah, I know, I was simplistic(besides, I wouldn't propose it be played if it only fought later than what we're going to play this weekend(like Sweden did)). I didn't count the War of Oranges as part of the second coalition, although I guess it technically is.

BurningEGO said:
I dont know which events for portugal you got, but i hope you included the lines of torres vedras - perhaps the best fortification of the era. Not even Massena, Junot or Soult managed to get past them, despite having a lot more soldiers.

I intend to include it but it is not yet coded as it is not part of the period I've covered with events yet.

BurningEGO said:
About leaders - did you add any? There are lot of leaders that eu2 didnt include. Specially for the OE.

If you need help regarding events/leaders (for portugal at least), i think i could lend you a hand.

Outside of redesigning Napoleon (and I will probably do something similar with Wellington), I have not added any leaders. If you have any to suggest, let me know. Same for events.

Casluerj said:
I just want to give you (again) a "public" congratulation. Awesome job!

I'd love to be able to be in the first public MP, however, you pick exactly the only date that I probably wont be able to. Good luck thou. And do not forget to post here an AAR about the session. ;)

Yeah, I know you couldn't be there :( but it was the best date for me, and the day I could expect the most people to show up. Sorry about that, we'll have other opportunities I'm sure (and I didn't want to cancel EGA session).

Absolut said:
EDIT: How long do you think a session will take? Same time as a regular Nappy?

Probably close to 3h is my guess.

Casluerj said:
And Rio was made the capital of the kingdom. I also could help regarding events for Portugal...

You're more than welcome to help regarding the events. I have a hundred or two hundred more to code, lol, so any help is welcome.

Hey tem not sure if i can make this time but id like to try your scenario.

Buzz me some time on ICQ for an impulse game like the old days. Perhaps we could make an ICQ list of people we can message on weeknights who are interested?

cheech said:
Hey tem not sure if i can make this time but id like to try your scenario.

Buzz me some time on ICQ for an impulse game like the old days. Perhaps we could make an ICQ list of people we can message on weeknights who are interested?

sounds like a good idea cheech :)

nice idea...because of this scen people will eu2 longer! at least me (cant play eu3 on my comp)
im sure that i can join few hours on saturday...

Great Tem. Congrats. I will try to join next Saturday but two games in a row can be a problem so I won't promise anything. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.