• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We have been speculating for months... And that's fine. But speculating based on deliberate troll teasers is just one big wind up. Every single one of Johan's teasers he's posted this year could fit both Rome and Vicky.

5: The amount of each goods produced is important. You would think this for ANY Grand Strategy game anyway ESPECIALLY Rome and Victoria, when the amount of each good produced was paramount to the mechanics of both series.
4: Spelling the name of the game is rather easy. Yes spelling Rome is extremely easy. Spelling Victoria likewise.
3: There will be minorities. Any future Rome AND Vicky game will have minorities.
2: Johan is the game director and designer of this game. Just like Johan was a big designer of Victoria 2, AND EU:Rome
1: Is it popular demand? This one is probably the best teaser of the bunch, as both Rome and Vicky are popular demand. And even further still, both Rome and Vicky utilize popular demand of the citizens as gameplay mechanics.. Unless the answer is supposed to be no, in either case, we've still been trolled

It's one big wind up and the teasers purposely hint toward both Rome and Vicky. Find out which on 18th may :D
Except it's not Victoria 3 or a name-changed version of the same thing, as Johan has stated on twitter.

Why waste so much time with wild speculation? Because we're idiots, that's why. And I am perfectly content to be one of those idiots.
Marketing 101. :p

Except it's not Victoria 3 or a name-changed version of the same thing, as Johan has stated on twitter.

But that would be exactly what you would say if you wanted to protect the game and keep it hidden until it was ready to be revealed on the big convention stage.

But that would be exactly what you would say if you wanted to protect the game and keep it hidden until it was ready to be revealed on the big convention stage.
Indeed perfect for revealing the actual Victoria 3 in 2019, which currently is a secret project, with Chris King as the lead.

Being evasive and having fun with the fans is one thing, but repeatedly lying with emphatic-sounding denials is another. If Paradox wanted to keep Victoria 3's upcoming announcement a secret they could simply keep quiet and avoid responding to any questions. If anything they would be deliberately feeding the hype by releasing little titbits about the game as well. Just outright lying wouldn't be fun for anyone, would make zero marketing sense and most importantly would greatly damage trust in future announcements by the company. A whole lot of trouble for no real gain. I mean, maintaining secrecy at this late stage is important in order to build up hype, but it doesn't really do any harm if a handful of people guess beforehand that it might be Victoria 3.

One thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around, how does Paradox lying about Vicky III cause any harm?
If they don't announce Vicky III, then they don't, they told us so.
But if they do announce Vicky III, how does that do any harm?

One thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around, how does Paradox lying about Vicky III cause any harm?
If they don't announce Vicky III, then they don't, they told us so.
But if they do announce Vicky III, how does that do any harm?
They've repeatedly told us in very emphatic terms that Victoria 3 is not happening this year. If it turns out that actually they were lying, why would we trust them in the future? It would be bad for their reputation and it doesn't really win them anything in exchange (there's no crucial reason why Victoria 3 must be kept secret at all costs, in fact it's better for them if people are hyped up about it), so why lie at all?

Which makes more sense? Which is more likely? The theory that these denials are just a ruse and in fact Paradox are just preparing to release Victoria 3 right now, or the theory that the denials are just honest attempts to manage expectations and cut down on misplaced disappointment when Victoria 3 is not announced?

Ok.
But I do think all this would have been avoided if Victoria III was never mentioned in the PDXCon video the first place. :p
We'd be back at square one, debating over clues that apply to every paradox game ever (almost every, the Johan clue limits it, but not a whole lot).

Ok.
But I do think all this would have been avoided if Victoria III was never mentioned in the PDXCon video the first place. :p
We'd be back at square one, debating over clues that apply to every paradox game ever (almost every, the Johan clue limits it, but not a whole lot).
If they never intervened I think hype would be growing for Victoria 3 now. Which is very bad from Paradox's perspective if they aren't actually planning to release it. The point of these teasers and little nuggets of information is to get people speculating and lead that speculation in a particular direction before the big reveal. If everyone's cheering for Victoria 3 and it turns out to be Rome or something else then the announcement would be met with disappointment, which from a marketing perspective isn't a good thing.

And, as has been pointed out repeatedly (maybe not in this thread, but on this forum at least), shareholders really do not like lying. Lying to them is probably against the law in any developed country.

And, as has been pointed out repeatedly (maybe not in this thread, but on this forum at least), shareholders really do not like lying. Lying to them is probably against the law in any developed country.

I'd like to point out it probably matters how the lying is done. Paradox HAS TO deny the existence of any unannounced game under development. PERIOD. Since the earnings report are public, they can't reveal Vicky 3 even if it was under development in the earnings report. I'm totally smashed right now, so I couldn't begin to contemplate how exactly they would reconcile the two conflicting problems.

32745184_2139002732807235_4143828277322055680_o.jpg