Taxes on high population provinces

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GeneralisimoAR

Captain
Jan 26, 2005
Hello,

I noticed that to tax some states with high pop you need local administrative centers, but some times you loose money because the province is to poor so the peasants have not much money to pay like in Japan.

My question is, should I build my factories in states with low pop soo i can fuly tax them with less administrative centers or the local administrative centers only tax people and factories always pay full taxes therefore I can build them anywhere ?

thanks.

Factories dont pay you anything (unless state owned), the people working there do.

You can up the taxation capacity via tech and laws, which is especially important for countries like Japan that start with some massively crowded states.

You should also try to build your industries in less crowded states, as the bump in SoL from the better jobs will entice some of the peasants from the crowded states to move there. You can speed this up with the Greener Grass edict.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks,

about taxes, there are several types of taxes, pool, consumption and more.

I understand that consumption is related to the direct taxes I establish on the income screen. but how the others work ?

all of them depends on the local administrative centers?

Thanks,

about taxes, there are several types of taxes, pool, consumption and more.

I understand that consumption is related to the direct taxes I establish on the income screen. but how the others work ?

all of them depends on the local administrative centers?
From the dev diary https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-12-treasury.1488588/

• Income Taxes: A form of taxation collected on income, where a certain % of the wages paid to workers in buildings is paid to the government.
  • Poll Taxes: A form of per-capita taxation where a fixed sum of money is collected on each member of the workforce. Poll Taxes are very regressive since they collect the same amount regardless of income.
  • Land Taxes: A special type of Poll Taxes that are only collected on certain types of Pops, such as Peasants.
  • Consumption Taxes: A tax that is levied directly on a specific good that is consumed by Pops. Levying Consumption Taxes costs Authority.
  • Dividend Taxes: A tax that is applied to dividends paid to Pops with an ownership stake in a Building. Tends to be a very progressive form of taxation, as usually only well-to-do Pops have ownership of buildings.
  • Tariffs: Tariffs are something that we plan to have in the game as a way to profit from goods being exported from your market, but we’re not ready to talk about exactly how this will work yet.
If you build buildings that increase people's incomes/dividends (most buildings), and you tax income/dividends (not just land and poll taxes) then you should try to focus on the places where you have sufficient labour (so they are used) and get decent tax rates (so you can funnel that cash into more buildings). Also remember that colonies don't get taxed like states do. Until I have railways infrastructure can be limiting forcing a bit of spreading out due to that too.

At some stage you will want to build more government buildings in some of your populous states so that the tax income is higher, and you can industrialize them too.

• 2Like
Reactions: