• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Murray Rothbard

Second Lieutenant
37 Badges
Jan 17, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Magicka
  • Lead and Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
So with the Count of Montaigu start I was able to take Rome. This is very simple by declaring for Latium in 867: a stack wipe and occupying the baronies is enough to get warscore to 100%. I didn't need to occupy Rome at all. This has produced an oddity though. The pope is still alive, but he's not locatable on the map. I honestly have no idea where he is. Also, I have no Dismantle the Papacy decision, presumably because the pope is unlanded. He still has his Kingdom titles, but no actual holdings. Also, Christendom doesn't seem to care much that I took the Pope's digs.

Now I'm just gobbling up territory and wondering if I can survive after Haesteinn bites the dust and takes his legions hosts with him.

Attachments

• 20210227194055_1.jpg
    20210227194055_1.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
So with the Count of Montaigu start I was able to take Rome. This is very simple by declaring for Latium in 867: a stack wipe and occupying the baronies is enough to get warscore to 100%. I didn't need to occupy Rome at all. This has produced an oddity though. The pope is still alive, but he's not locatable on the map. I honestly have no idea where he is. Also, I have no Dismantle the Papacy decision, presumably because the pope is unlanded. He still has his Kingdom titles, but no actual holdings. Also, Christendom doesn't seem to care much that I took the Pope's digs.

Now I'm just gobbling up territory and wondering if I can survive after Haesteinn bites the dust and takes his legions hosts with him.
Yeah I have the same issue in my current campaign. I think only certain religions like Islam can dismantle the papacy. It should honestly be a decision for every non Christian to perform!

Yeah I have the same issue in my current campaign. I think only certain religions like Islam can dismantle the papacy. It should honestly be a decision for every non Christian to perform!
You have to have Islam, Asatru, Slovianska Pravda, Ukonosko, or one of the other named pagan religions, and then you also have to have the entire region of Italia as part of your realm. Which is basically Empire of Italia + Kingdom of Sicily.

• 2Like
Reactions:
You have to have Islam, Asatru, Slovianska Pravda, Ukonosko, or one of the other named pagan religions, and then you also have to have the entire region of Italia as part of your realm. Which is basically Empire of Italia + Kingdom of Sicily.
I guess the boori bush spirits will have an unhappy guest for the remainder of the campaign lol

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I guess the boori bush spirits will have an unhappy guest for the remainder of the campaign lol
You can always convert just long enough to do the decision. I'd go after the other requirements first, then convert just long enough to do the decision before converting back.

Interestingly, the generic Pagan faith CANNOT Dismantle the Papacy. I'm pretty sure the African pagan faiths and Hellenism also can't, but don't quote me on the Hellenism.

You can always convert just long enough to do the decision. I'd go after the other requirements first, then convert just long enough to do the decision before converting back.

Interestingly, the generic Pagan faith CANNOT Dismantle the Papacy. I'm pretty sure the African pagan faiths and Hellenism also can't, but don't quote me on the Hellenism.
Generic Pagan is TOO GENERIC, if we had Celtic druidism and Arabian paganism I believe they would be able to dismantle Papacy.

Actually, Hellenism CAN dismantle the papacy. Revenge of the Roman gods.

Can't believe you quoted him on the Hellenism after he explicitly asked you not to, you disrespectful...

Ok, I'm joking. ;)

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Yeah, I double checked. Official list of faiths that CAN dismantle the Papacy:

Asatru, Slovianska Pravda, Vidalism, Islam, Hellenism

Interestingly, I thought Ukonosko could but I guess not according to wiki. Oh well, good news is my planned return of the Greek Gods run actually can eventually get rid of the Pope instead of just leaving him on a temple somewhere.

Sorry to sort of hijack this, but I find it a little strange you can dismantle the Papacy, but not the other established Christian faiths.
The key aspect of the decision is the removal of the head of faith, which is central to Catholicism. I assume when it is taken Catholicism still exists - there's just no Bishop in Rome. There should probably be a similar decision for the Bishop in Constantinople.

The key aspect of the decision is the removal of the head of faith, which is central to Catholicism. I assume when it is taken Catholicism still exists - there's just no Bishop in Rome. There should probably be a similar decision for the Bishop in Constantinople.
Catholicism continues to exist when you dismantle the papacy, but without a head of faith they can no longer declare Crusades and I think that it gets harder to spread or something too.

There's a Coptic Pope in Cairo iirc, and of course the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople. Not sure if there's other Christian heads of faith aside from those the player might make through reforming faiths. But the only other decision about de'throne'ing a christian head of faith is something Iconoclasts can do with the Ecumenical Patriarch that replaces him with an Iconoclast version, as well as a decision that reverses that.

• 2Like
Reactions: