Taking Byzantine Empire by faction demand changes its primogeniture to confederate partition. WAD?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mindel

General
2 Badges
Jan 23, 2018
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I got the Byzantine Empire after making a faction demand and going to war over it. It seems that this brought its crown authority down to the lowest level since I was not Greek and my culture didn't allow for any higher level. Also, the succession got changed to confederate partition.

Is this WAD?

my culture didn't allow for any higher level.
yes, it's WAD. can you 'convert to local culture?' do you want to? so many questions...

Reactions:
I don't see anything in here about titles having their crown authority or succession laws change when ruler culture changes.

I don't see anything in here about titles having their crown authority or succession laws change when ruler culture changes.
you didn't say anything about your culture changing. what was it and what is it?

the laws available to you depend on you, not whatever real estate you own.

• 2Like
Reactions:
you didn't say anything about your culture changing. what was it and what is it?
My culture didn't change. The title holder changed. The culture of the title's holder changed because the guy before me was Greek, and I was not Greek (Arpitan).

the laws available to you depend on you, not whatever real estate you own.
Obviously, some laws are changing as the title holder's culture changes. But this doesn't answer my question: is it WAD?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I noticed this in my last game too, I switched to Ashkenazi which for some reason starts as tribal with no innovations and that means when my crown authority was lowered by a faction I had to spend like 80 years coverting a county to Ashkenazi so I could be the culture head so I could get the innovation to raise it back.

I tested this again, and it seems that the succession of the Byzantine Empire changes from primogeniture to confederate partition even if you install an orthodox Greek ruler. So I guess that part seems to have nothing to do with culture.

But in this case the crown authority didn't drop, so it seems that culture can cause a drop in crown authority.

So I found something very interesting while playing in 1.9.0.4

I took over the Byzantine Empire in 867 by faction war and, as usual, it changed the succession from primogeniture to confederate partition. So this issue still exists in 1.9.0.4

But... a few generations later, a Makedon (not my dynasty) ended up back on the Byzantine throne again (by faction war), and the succession changed back to primogeniture! But for several non-Makedon dynasties before this, the succession stayed confederate.

It seems that the game is somehow tying Byzantine succession law to the dynasty, and for some reason Makedon (the starting Byzantine dynasty in 867) gets primogeniture where no one else does. That's the only explanation I can think of.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So I found something very interesting while playing in 1.9.0.4

I took over the Byzantine Empire in 867 by faction war and, as usual, it changed the succession from primogeniture to confederate partition. So this issue still exists in 1.9.0.4

But... a few generations later, a Makedon (not my dynasty) ended up back on the Byzantine throne again (by faction war), and the succession changed back to primogeniture! But for several non-Makedon dynasties before this, the succession stayed confederate.

It seems that the game is somehow tying Byzantine succession law to the dynasty, and for some reason Makedon (the starting Byzantine dynasty in 867) gets primogeniture where no one else does. That's the only explanation I can think of.
This isn't an issue, bug, or anything mysterious. The Byzantine Empire doesn't have any succession law attached to it. It's the emperor in the bookmark who has primogeniture succession, not the title. When the emperor loses the title, he still retains his succession law. When his heir later gets the title back, he naturally has the same succession law that he's had the entire time.

I agree that it's not entirely satisfactory, but that is how the game works and has worked since release. If you want early primogeniture, then you have to start as the character who actually has it (or take one of the title formation decisions that grants it).

Reactions:
Exactly as PAnZuRiEL said, succession types are tied to characters not titles unless the title is granted some kind of elective succession. It's backward and dumb.